• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

batbeg

Gamepro is actually a 3/5, not a 6/10, which is a pretty significant difference I'd think. The review doesn't sound overly positive, but really their only complaints are the slowdown and the story, as far as I could tell.

And I particularly like this comment from GamesRadar (they're lucky I'm so into this game, I normally wouldn't load their filthy website):

The story follows the grand destiny of Capell, a whiny flute player with a J-pop hairdo

...what?

Quazar

batbeg said:
Gamepro is actually a 3/5, not a 6/10, which is a pretty significant difference I'd think. The review doesn't sound overly positive, but really their only complaints are the slowdown and the story, as far as I could tell.

And I particularly like this comment from GamesRadar (they're lucky I'm so into this game, I normally wouldn't load their filthy website):

...what?

This one from Gamepro is even better:

Gamepro said:
You might find something in the game to hook you and keep you coming back for more, but you might also end up wondering why you didn't just save your money for Final Fantasy XIII instead.

batbeg

FateBreaker said:

It is. A 3/5 does not have the same connotations with it as a 60/100 does. 3/5 is generally thought of as "pretty good, not great", whereas a 6/10 would be more like "below average" in the minds of most. Just because it can be scaled, doesn't mean it should be (though I understand it is done for metacritic purposes).

goldenpp72

yeah i agree a 3/5 to most people is perceived as a higher rating than 6/10, even if the ratios are identicle, mostly because there is no 3.5/5 (or is there)

batbeg

There is actually (they gave it to Tales), which just makes me want to go on a rant about how useless the 5 star system is once you start halving and quartering it, but I'll let that go for now :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It never realy mattered how the reviews were going. This was always a buy for me. Even when I didn't have a 360 yet. These kinds of games are underrated all the time. It doesn't have to be a 9.5 to be this great enjoyable game. Miles vary and I am very adaptable to this genre. Can't wait.

Meier

Has there been any indication yet on how long this is? If it's super long, I just won't have the time to play it any time soon and will pass on trying to rent it.

batbeg

IGN says 20-30 hours, 1up says 30 hours, 1up says in their preview that Square-Enix said 40-50 hours.

It's probably between 20 and 30 depending on sidequests you decide to do.

Llyranor

Error said:
he actually did, he hated the crap out of them. going by the first paragraph. :lol
But he's only talking about those from the intro. He doesn't really discuss their variety/quality for the rest of the game.

duckroll

~30 hours, 4 difficulty levels with unique content, super hard bonus dungeon, tons of character interactions, open-ended ending, lots of skills and item creation. Yup, sounds like a tri-Ace game!

duckroll said:
~30 hours, 4 difficulty levels with unique content, super hard bonus dungeon, tons of character interactions, open-ended ending, lots of skills and item creation. Yup, sounds like a tri-Ace game!
I'm going to let you hype this game back into relevance for me. So keep at it! :D

Sushen

LiquidMetal14 said:
It never realy mattered how the reviews were going. This was always a buy for me. Even when I didn't have a 360 yet. These kinds of games are underrated all the time. It doesn't have to be a 9.5 to be this great enjoyable game. Miles vary and I am very adaptable to this genre. Can't wait.
True, jRPGs never get over 9.0 unless the name of the title starts with Final and ends with Fantasy followed by some numbers.

navi001

Neo Member
I hope the bonus dungeon have Silmeria, lenneth, Alicia,Hrist, and Leone as some type of boss =O

Nel(SO3) vs. Komachi (Ninja fight ftw) make it happen Tri-Ace ; ;

duckroll

Hmmmm.... based on the staff listed in Famitsu 360, it seems that a bunch of Radiata Stories staffers are working on IU. Hope they've improved!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
duckroll said:
Hmmmm.... based on the staff listed in Famitsu 360, it seems that a bunch of Radiata Stories staffers are working on IU. Hope they've improved!

:lol

Why am I not surprised? ;_;

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
duckroll said:
I hope you don't think that game is garbage because I thought it was a charmer. It got around the same scores IU is getting but it was much more linear. The charm was there and I liked the music. I can't see this being any worse. It doesn't seem as bright and colorful as Radiata though, based on the new video in the JPN store.

Sushen said:
True, jRPGs never get over 9.0 unless the name of the title starts with Final and ends with Fantasy followed by some numbers.
Persona 3 FES and TWEWY managed to earn solid critical praise earlier this year despite their JRPG origins. Next-gen titles are being held to a different standard of excellence that has yet to be attained. And may not be attained until FFXIII hits unless SO4 turns out to be a pleasant surprise.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
B-Rad Lascelle said:
Persona 3 FES and TWEWY managed to earn solid critical praise earlier this year despite their JRPG origins. Next-gen titles are being held to a different standard of excellence that has yet to be attained. And may not be attained until FFXIII hits unless SO4 turns out to be a pleasant surprise.

While I do think this is part of it, go look back at the last two generations of JRPGs and you'll find that most of the none Square, non FF games didn't score higher than an 8 at best. Sure there are exceptions like some of the SMT games or Chrono Cross or DQVIII, but they're exceptions, not the rule.

I think to the general audience, JRPGs do retread some familiar territory and have for years. The JRPG enthusiast is more attuned to the minutia that make the games different and thats why they get so upset when Tales or Grandia doesn't get a 9 or Star Ocean or suikoden gets a 7.5 (that used to be the default non FF score in EGM a few years ago.) I can't think of any reviewer from the main game media outlets that I would really consider a true JRPG fan. SUre, some of them loved the genre back in the 16 bit days and knew Lufia II and Illusion of Gaia about as well as they knew FFIII, but there weren't that many JRPGs back then. Now its pretty much FF, maybe SMT and DQ or meh from the reviewers.

truly101 said:
Now its pretty much FF, maybe SMT and DQ or meh from the reviewers.
While there's no question that short-attention span reviewer syndrome is hampering JRPG review scores, I've played through all of Blue Dragon, loved it and would have ultimately given it an 8.

Lost Odyssey is my current project and is currently hovering in the 7-7.5 range for me. So I'm playing the hell out of these JRPGs and would have given scores pretty much on par with the crowd that based their judgements solely on the first couple of hours.

I still need to give Eternal Sonata a whirl but the impending release of the PS3 port is artificially inflating the X360 version's price and keeping it from its drop to the $20-30 range that is presently overdue.

truly101 said:
While I do think this is part of it, go look back at the last two generations of JRPGs and you'll find that most of the none Square, non FF games didn't score higher than an 8 at best. Sure there are exceptions like some of the SMT games or Chrono Cross or DQVIII, but they're exceptions, not the rule.

I think to the general audience, JRPGs do retread some familiar territory and have for years. The JRPG enthusiast is more attuned to the minutia that make the games different and thats why they get so upset when Tales or Grandia doesn't get a 9 or Star Ocean or suikoden gets a 7.5 (that used to be the default non FF score in EGM a few years ago.) I can't think of any reviewer from the main game media outlets that I would really consider a true JRPG fan. SUre, some of them loved the genre back in the 16 bit days and knew Lufia II and Illusion of Gaia about as well as they knew FFIII, but there weren't that many JRPGs back then. Now its pretty much FF, maybe SMT and DQ or meh from the reviewers.

hmmm, you could say this for any genre...many games have there fans...some games have more fans than others...Ive played quite a few jrpgs, and square rpgs are definitely my faves of the japanese variety.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I still haven't beat LO yet. Somewhere on the 4th disc, my interest started to wane a bit. I beat the big Godzilla monsters in the ocean then I took out Go Go Hyper Heihachi Tank and thats it. I know there's not much left to the game but I've not really felt the need to finish it. I know everyone says its basically a FF game, and while its got some of the familar trappings, it definitely didn't engage me like a FF game. I'd agree with your 7.5

Sushen

B-Rad Lascelle said:

truly101 said:

Basically, unless it carries a big name franchise or somehow manage to appeal to reviewers for whatever wacky reasons, getting even a 8.0 is a tall order for a jRPG.

Those magazine reviewers love to pick apart jRPGs more so than any other genre of the games. I suspect they get frustrated by jRPGs that last more than 20 hours when they're pressured to write up reviews for it in a few days or something.

With this ever decreasing attention span and patiences, jRPG is a dying breed...unfortunately.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
nelsonroyale said:
hmmm, you could say this for any genre...many games have there fans...some games have more fans than others...Ive played quite a few jrpgs, and square rpgs are definitely my faves of the japanese variety.

I agree to an extent but there are some genres that tend to have a stronger devoted enthusiast base than others. I would think that an FPS fan on the other hand, is going to stick with the bigger and better reviewed games, probably due to the multiplayer. Its more likely that the JRPG hardcore base may really see the value in a game like Atelier Iris or Breath of Fire, whereas an FPS fan is probably not going to waste too much of their time with games like The Darkness or Prey, when they can play Team Fortress or COD4 instead. AT least I don't see them trying to defend those games over say, Valves more recognized games the way a JRPG fan may defend Tales over FF for example.

Jirotrom

Sushen said:
Persona 3...

EDIT: Beaten like a red headed step child:p

B-Rad Lascelle said:
IU = bomba... shame too, my time with it last week was rather enjoyable.

In other news, I've just snapped up a copy of ToV Special Edition without preordering. Yay! :D
so you enjoyed the game ut won't pick it up because of a review? LO got some bland reviews but thats my favorite game this gen. good thing I didn't listen to the reviews.

Skilletor

Different content per difficulty level + tons of characters + endgame bonus dungeon makes me :D

Tuesday can't come soon enough!

Rpgmonkey

duckroll said:

Pretty much. :)

You might find something in the game to hook you and keep you coming back for more, but you might also end up wondering why you didn't just save your money for Final Fantasy XIII instead.
Not a bad idea. If I would save money for any jrpg till FFXIII comes out I would be a millionare.

Review wise this feels like BD/LO all over again...

Scottlarock said:
so you enjoyed the game ut won't pick it up because of a review? LO got some bland reviews but thats my favorite game this gen. good thing I didn't listen to the reviews.

Yea, it's sad when people enjoy games but are so dependent on reviews as to sway them. I am with you LO is in my top 5 360 games this gen. Fucking love it.

It's part of growth that comes with years in this hobby. You come to realize that you're subjective opinion is just as valid (and sometimes moreso) than someone in the "gaming media/gaming journalism" - which is a joke anyway. I was the same way with reviews until I turned like 18-19 and figured out, wow, some of these reviewers don't know wtf they are talking about.

Anywhooo..back on topic, this game is day one for me and has been for a while.

eXistor

I've still not read anything that doesn't make me want to play the game any less. Sounds like a fine rpg to me and I want it now!

batbeg

It's official: I'm either going to have to wait a few weeks to get the game, or I'll have to sell some of my more treasured games in order to get this next Friday :( Grocery money finally crossed the line.

But I neeeeed this game so bad, so I'll probably end up selling some games.

CAVE343

batbeg said:
It's official: I'm either going to have to wait a few weeks to get the game, or I'll have to sell some of my more treasured games in order to get this next Friday :( Grocery money finally crossed the line.

But I neeeeed this game so bad, so I'll probably end up selling some games.

That sucks, you should have bought a box of instant noodles and get down with it ;-)
But seriously, that kinda sucks. I'm sure this game will be awesome, one week to go!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
No one has any clue what the preorder goodies are exactly?
And is this game going to have two different covers or something? Seems like BB is having some foil cover, something not mentioned elsewhere.

batbeg

Kadey said:
No one has any clue what the preorder goodies are exactly?
And is this game going to have two different covers or something? Seems like BB is having some foil cover, something not mentioned elsewhere.

Icecream's Translation of Comm. Blog said:
"Learning Coin→Experience Acquired +10%"
"Harvest Coin→Money Acquired +10%"
"Heart of the Mountain Ascetic→Experience Points Needed for the next level is Unattainable," and so forth.

And two others, I believe. I wish I had pre-ordered it for that last one, it sounds really cool and I don't know how easy it'll be to not level up on my own :(

And yeah, Best Buy has a special cover, but that's it, I think.

Top Bottom