• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

duckroll

batbeg said:
It's official: I'm either going to have to wait a few weeks to get the game, or I'll have to sell some of my more treasured games in order to get this next Friday :( Grocery money finally crossed the line.

But I neeeeed this game so bad, so I'll probably end up selling some games.

Join me on the Day 24 party! :D

Teknoman

Arpharmd B said:
Yea, it's sad when people enjoy games but are so dependent on reviews as to sway them. I am with you LO is in my top 5 360 games this gen. Fucking love it.

It's part of growth that comes with years in this hobby. You come to realize that you're subjective opinion is just as valid (and sometimes moreso) than someone in the "gaming media/gaming journalism" - which is a joke anyway. I was the same way with reviews until I turned like 18-19 and figured out, wow, some of these reviewers don't know wtf they are talking about.

Anywhooo..back on topic, this game is day one for me and has been for a while.

True, but its kinda hard to mess up a traditional style RPG like Lost Odyssey. A great soundtrack, decent load times, and a decent story, and you're set.

Just like Eternal Sonata, i'll probably snag IU later on after a price drop. Its just...I like the characters, music (what i've heard) and what I can gather about the storyline...but I cant take slowdown in the middle of battle in an action RPG.

JudgeN said:
The 1up review forgot the most important part, how well did the framerate hold up.

You're right (just got around to reading it). Maybe its not as bad as IGN made it out to be in that case? A few more reviews plus user impressions from GAF could convince me to go for it (I wasnt dissapointed at all by Valkyrie Profile Lenneth...except for the sorta lack of story). And it still seems to me like a Radiata Stories spiritual sucessor, and I really liked that universe.

Tales of Vesperia just got 8's so the reviewers didn't know what to do. They couldn't give it 9's and if it got 8's they'd look dumb so they resort to 7's. If it came first It'd probably be tales with 7's IU with 8's.

Joke post but half serious and half not and half I hate reviewers/reviews and half I hate the stupid as shit numbering system. But that's another rant another day.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Amon37 said:
WTF? I just a commercial for this game on the Discovery channel? :lol

I just saw the commercial, pretty good actually. Looking forward to playing this next week.

Pretty funny that reviews only matter when GAF says they do. See Too Human and this thread.

And yes, the reviews do have me questioning whether this is a week one purchase. None of the reviews I've read seem truly enthusiastic about the game regardless of score. It's also a single player experience that's fairly short for an RPG, so it shouldn't take long for used copies to be selling for $20-30 once the next 360 flavor of the month comes along.

Arpharmd B said:
Tales of Vesperia just got 8's so the reviewers didn't know what to do. They couldn't give it 9's and if it got 8's they'd look dumb so they resort to 7's. If it came first It'd probably be tales with 7's IU with 8's.

Joke post but half serious and half not and half I hate reviewers/reviews and half I hate the stupid as shit numbering system. But that's another rant another day.

seems you are just bitter a game you haven't played is getting results you don't agree with based on no play time... buy it if you want to get it, but no need to bitch about reviews if
1. you decided to get it before all was said and done
2. you haven't played it.

seems like if you are a fan of tri ace games, especially SO3 it still may be worth a shot...that game didn't score all that great

Shirokun

Catchpenny said:
Pretty funny that reviews only matter when GAF says they do. See Too Human and this thread.

This always sums it up pretty nicely:

1rdagj.png

Can't wait for Tuesday!

duckroll

WickedLaharl said:
it might be my current state of mind but i dunno what this means. i'm sorry

When it's equipped, you can't gain any exp. That's what it actually means. It's for "hardcore" players.

thanks. do you know what the other two preorder bonuses are? i'm wondering if i should bother ordering fom amazon or just get it on the cheap from gamefly.

duckroll

WickedLaharl said:
thanks. do you know what the other two preorder bonuses are? i'm wondering if i should bother ordering fom amazon or just get it on the cheap from gamefly.

I don't think they've said anything about the last 2 items. We'll find out next week I guess.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's so close. I'm getting tired of going to the ToV thread to get a fix for a JRPG. Playing through LO at a ginger pace but once this hits, it's over.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I'm so unsure if I'm gonna buy this game. I mean, I do like RPG:s, but not too often. But it's kinda short (just like I want them to be) and there seems to be some cool stuff in it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm so unsure if I'm gonna buy this game. I mean, I do like RPG:s, but not too often. But it's kinda short (just like I want them to be) and there seems to be some cool stuff in it.
At this point this would be a great filler before the storm of games coming. The scores have never bothered me with a game I like the look of. There are naysayers and people that praise every game. I can't afford to invest 60+ hours in a game like Tales over this. I need a time filler till October hits, then I'm screwed :lol

Basch

I'm not unsure of whether or not I'm going to get this game. Just a matter of when. I just started Blue Dragon not long ago, and loving it. I'm only on Disc 1, though. I'm thinking of picking up either Tales or IU this week. Disgaea later this month. Then again, lots of awesome Blu-Rays are coming out this coming month. What to do. *shrugs*

Amon37 said:
WTF? I just a commercial for this game on the Discovery channel? :lol

No shit? If I had to put down money, I would have bet that this game was going to receive very little marketing.

Color me surprised. I'm glad their giving it some attention.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Arpharmd B said:
Yea, it's sad when people enjoy games but are so dependent on reviews as to sway them. I am with you LO is in my top 5 360 games this gen. Fucking love it.

It's part of growth that comes with years in this hobby. You come to realize that you're subjective opinion is just as valid (and sometimes moreso) than someone in the "gaming media/gaming journalism" - which is a joke anyway. I was the same way with reviews until I turned like 18-19 and figured out, wow, some of these reviewers don't know wtf they are talking about.

Anywhooo..back on topic, this game is day one for me and has been for a while.
Arpharmd B said:

Do you understand the point of reviews? They are offering someone's opinion on an object so that others can make better purchasing decisions. Without reviews and impressions one can only make purchasing decisions based on history (pointless for new titles like this) and blind buying (which is stupid). Just because reviews and impressions aren't wholy positive for a game you are hyped for doesn't mean they are any less important.

Aeon712

Wh did this game have to have such an awesome commercial. I just started Disgaea 3 and had it in my mind that I would pick this up later in the year. Now I want it day 1 even if I don't play it :lol.

batbeg

No and I've been searching like mad :( I don't even have tv in my own country, so I want to see one pretty bad :lol

Welp finished Too Human(got most of the achievements to boot) and Kingdom Under Fire is straight up pissing me off(lots of nasty stupid design decisions).

All set for IU! This Tuesday. I even got the preorder card earlier....whoo?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
thrasher said:
Is the combat just like FFXII?

Combat, in FFXII?

The similarities to FFXII are coming from the seamless battles. The way battles are setup beyond that are completely different.

So is the bonus dungeon only accessible on Hard mode? Also what kind of extra content is on hard? New cutscenes or new areas like in VP1? Any achievements that require side quests secret stuff? Would cool if there was like in BD and LO.

batbeg

Yasser said:
? isn't this getting a worldwide release at the same time, why do regions matter?

I don't remember anymore, but I believe it was something like the Asian version comes out on the 24th/5th/6th or something, and ducky doesn't want to import the much more expensive Japanese version.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Yasser said:
? isn't this getting a worldwide release at the same time, why do regions matter?
It's not published by Square-Enix in every territories, here is France Koch Media is doing it. And usually when it's the case they put a region lock.

Nemesis_

duckroll said:
"Worldwide" release schedule:

US = Sept 2
EU = Sept 5
JP = Sept 11
Asia = Sept 25
I'm with duckroll but I guess that I will be able to space out spendings a bit more now.

And just as I clicked on this thread the commercial came on MTV...

Yasser said:
meh can't you dip into your ff xiii fund and just get the jp version? :p
Under no circumstances should any of you be doing that.

Top Bottom