• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Blimblim said:
One thing I didn't see mentioned too much about this game is how fast the loadings are. After Blue Dragon and especially after Lost Odyssey it's really impressive from one huge zone to another as huge in just 3 or 4 seconds.
That's great to hear. I'm glad these newer RPG's are getting them down. Tales of Vesperia has been absolutely great with the load times. For a game as detailed as this, I'm glad IU is not slouching.

CAVE343

m73iw9.jpg

O yeah got it! Going to play tonight though. Looks like an earlier pal release

Manaka

bad-joey said:

Yeah, one of the local stores here also got it today.
On a related note, I'm off to buy it now :)

Cj70 said:
Watching those videos with the voices missing at bits really annoyed me lol. Not sure if i'll get it now.

That gets less of a problem as the game goes on. It's weird - it's like whoever was in charge of the localisation just forgot to organise VO for those bits. The one at the start is really jarring because it's quite an action-focused sequence.

duckroll

Hero of Canton said:
That gets less of a problem as the game goes on. It's weird - it's like whoever was in charge of the localisation just forgot to organise VO for those bits. The one at the start is really jarring because it's quite an action-focused sequence.

It's weirder that the Japanese version is exactly the same.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Blimblim said:
One thing I didn't see mentioned too much about this game is how fast the loadings are. After Blue Dragon and especially after Lost Odyssey it's really impressive from one huge zone to another as huge in just 3 or 4 seconds.
How's the framerate holding up? Your videos seem smooth, but the encounters are limited. Nearly every video showing off combat with larger numbers seems to suffer from serious performance drops. Have you found that to be a common occurance?

It's weirder that the Japanese version is exactly the same.
That really is odd.

I'd love to hear the reason behind this decision.

Even with that quirk, the presentation is still light years beyond Tales of Vesperia. :p

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
bad-joey said:
m73iw9.jpg

I like how the "Infinite Undiscovery" just happens to be placed right over Capell's precious crotch zone. It all makes sense now!

duckroll

dark10x said:
That really is odd.

I'd love to hear the reason behind this decision.

Could simply be a cost issue. Less voiced scenes = less studio hours. Then again, I find it hard to believe that Square Enix of all companies would be saving money at the expense of sacrificing presentation values, so who knows.

dark10x

duckroll said:
Could simply be a cost issue. Less voiced scenes = less studio hours. Then again, I find it hard to believe that Square Enix of all companies would be saving money at the expense of sacrificing presentation values, so who knows.
Yeah, I don't see how it could possibly be related to budget. I mean, even really low budget games like Disgaea 3 feature complete voice acting for virtually every scene.

Perhaps some sort of planning error? Lack of disc space?

That sort of thing gives one the impression that the game has had a troubled development history. If the text had been relegated to fairly static scenes, that would have been one thing, but to see nicely animated sequences play out with lip motion and everything without VA, well, it's just strange.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
dark10x said:
How's the framerate holding up? Your videos seem smooth, but the encounters are limited. Nearly every video showing off combat with larger numbers seems to suffer from serious performance drops. Have you found that to be a common occurance
When in the middle of the action I don't have the "time" to check the framerate, and since each successful hit "pauses" the action for a few frames (just like in Zelda when you kill an enemy, I hate that), it's difficult to say what does what.

Anyway, last video for today is up. Dragon escape, and introducing the creepy twins!
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7062_en.html

duckroll

dark10x said:
Yeah, I don't see how it could possibly be related to budget. I mean, even really low budget games like Disgaea 3 feature complete voice acting for virtually every scene.

Perhaps some sort of planning error? Lack of disc space?

That sort of thing gives one the impression that the game has had a troubled development history. If the text had been relegated to fairly static scenes, that would have been one thing, but to see nicely animated sequences play out with lip motion and everything without VA, well, it's just strange.

I don't really see how any planning error can result in this. That's about as likely as it being a budget problem. As for disc space, like I said, disc1 is supposedly 4gig, with disc2 being 6gig. It's not like the game was originally intended to be on a single disc either, since the interviews have indicated it would be more than one disc for a long time now.

dark10x

Blimblim said:
When in the middle of the action I don't have the "time" to check the framerate, and since each successful hit "pauses" the action for a few frames (just like in Zelda when you kill an enemy, I hate that), it's difficult to say what does what.

Anyway, last video for today is up. Dragon escape, and introducing the creepy twins!
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7062_en.html
Well, it's not really about checking the framerate, it's just something you notice while playing (at least for me). Most of the videos released by Square suffer from serious slowdown (well below 30 fps during major battles). If you're not bothered by anything thus far, though, I suppose that's a good sign.

I don't really see how any planning error can result in this. That's about as likely as it being a budget problem. As for disc space, like I said, disc1 is supposedly 4gig, with disc2 being 6gig. It's not like the game was originally intended to be on a single disc either, since the interviews have indicated it would be more than one disc for a long time now.
Well, I really don't know then. It's a very strange situation, that's for certain.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
dark10x said:
Well, it's not really about checking the framerate, it's just something you notice while playing (at least for me). Most of the videos released by Square suffer from serious slowdown (well below 30 fps during major battles). If you're not bothered by anything thus far, though, I suppose that's a good sign.
The big battles are VERY busy so it's difficult to say what's going on in terms of framerate while also trying to actually play the game ;)
It certainly didn't bother me so far.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I GOTS IT

... but can't play now.

FYI: VP2 had unvoiced cutscenes, too. but it was just for the bonus dungeon. it was also handled a lot better than in IU, with dialog boxes telling you who was 'speaking'.

I don't get the decision behind unvoiced cutscenes at all, I think they look retarded. And they are handled terribly, too. You have to 'guess' who is talking whenever the camera shifts away from the characters.

Volcynika

Error said:
I dunno, I don't buy strategy guides. that's what gamefaqs is for!

This is what I tell them when they try to sell me a strat guide! Or just basically, "Dude, I have the internet."

Just did In-Store Pickup option for Best Buy and got both e-mails confirming the store actually had the game. Columbus, Ohio - Tuttle Mall.

Aaron

Error said:
I GOTS IT

... but can't play now.

FYI: VP2 had unvoiced cutscenes, too. but it was just for the bonus dungeon. it was also handled a lot better than in IU, with dialog boxes telling you who was 'speaking'.

I don't get the decision behind unvoiced cutscenes at all, I think they look retarded. And they are handled terribly, too. You have to 'guess' who is talking whenever the camera shifts away from the characters.
Watching Blim's vids, it looks like it was planned to be voiced, and cut at the last minute. Otherwise, they'd definitely have portraits at the very least.

Ricker

Like usual,tomorrow up here in Canada...why can't games all come out on Thuesday like DVD'S :D ... ah well,I asked about the codes and all since I pre-ordered but they didn't have that in yet also,and i won't be able to pick the game up till late Thursday...looking forward to spoiler free impressions from you guys till then though =)

PopfulMail

Howlin' Mad said:
Just did In-Store Pickup option for Best Buy and got both e-mails confirming the store actually had the game. Columbus, Ohio - Tuttle Mall.

Haha.. excellent. Looks like I'll be heading that way before my 2pm meeting.

Amon37

Volcynika said:
This is what I tell them when they try to sell me a strat guide! Or just basically, "Dude, I have the internet."

Ya but sometimes I just want that information on the couch with me since I don't have a laptop or an Iphone and the PSP sucks at browsing FAQ's. Especially when games have item creation systems and I can see what enemies drop which ingredients.

Only easy & normal are available from the start..hmm that's interesting.
Already got killed once getting the barrel of lulz achievement. :lol

Fun so far except most of my time has been spent running away. =/
Also I noticed that so far the Non-VAed scenes are generally tied to tutorials and such.

Lots of secret achievements, probably tied to story spoilers and hard-mode.

God I'm tired, only got three hours of sleep today. Looks like I'll have to put this off until tonight.

BTW: Thankfully S/E didn't go with some of the horrendous packaging previous 360 RPGs have had. Somebody still needs to be smacked upside their head for that stupid LO disc 4 paper envelope.

Amon37

goldenpp72 said:
infinite undecided? I dont think its in stores today, wonder if I should call around..

I just got the automated call from Gamestop saying the game will be available this afternoon.

Fuckyea.gif

burgerdog

Went to two gamestops today and both told me to check later in the day. I really want to start playing this damn thing already, and VP:TiP, too!

Only played for an hour so far and it has mostly been spent running away from enemies like PepsimanVsJoe said earlier. Can't say I'm overly impressed so far, but hopefully it will pick up a bit after this village I'm in now.

Some of the textures are pretty horrendous and the character design varies from decent to really really bad. I wish I had the choice of getting Tales of Vesperia instead, but I live in Europe so that's not coming anytime soon.

Quazar

Just picked it up about 30mins ago. Got the pre-order bonus even though I didn't pre-order. He said he sold 1 copy before mine.

Amon37 said:
Ya but sometimes I just want that information on the couch with me since I don't have a laptop or an Iphone and the PSP sucks at browsing FAQ's. Especially when games have item creation systems and I can see what enemies drop which ingredients.

i use my ps3 to browse faqs all the time.

fucking amazon has kicked the date to the 4th. i might not get the game till next week now :[

Burli

Pringo
I've pre-ordered this but some of the reviews and hands-on's are worrying me quite a bit. Got my finger hovering on the "cancel order" button.

Hope you guys can restore my faith!

Burli said:
I've pre-ordered this but some of the reviews and hands-on's are worrying me quite a bit. Got my finger hovering on the "cancel order" button.

Hope you guys can restore my faith!

i'm in the same boat. i dont want to blow another $60 on a game that's just going to sit there.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm going home now (FINALLY!), so I'll be able to play it. expect a big post with impressions.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Niiiice, my gamestop says they have this in stock today. Cool, will check out after work, even though I'm knee-deep into Wild Arms 3 at the moment.

Top Bottom