• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

burgerdog

Just got this from gamestop as well and got the pre order bonus :D *I didn't pre order the game. Going to try it out for a bit, be back later!

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Is it just me or does it seem rpgs now adays always get knocked for their so-so storylines? I mean really.

what...it's actually been partly true as far as the big current gen jRPG ones are considered

- Lost Odyssey's story falls flat on it's face before the 3rd Disc

- Blue Dragon, while I love it to death, hardly offers anything new or at least unique as far as it's narrative choices

- Enchanted Arms ....well I honestly don't know about this one, but it isn't well regarded overall

- Tales of Vesperia ....can't say much about this either as I haven't gotten it yet

Skilletor

I love Tri-Ace rpgs because I couldn't care less about stories in videogames and love the battle systems. Sounds good to me!

I do wish you could control more than one character, though. :/

Danielsan

LiquidMetal14 said:
It's been said many times, but no. And can anyone see if Gamestop.com is shipping theirs out?
Well fuck. Guess I'm holding out on this game then. I don't feel confident spending €60 on this game, a €40 import would've been fine though.

inner-G

Banned
Opening CG intro is epic.

1st 1/2 hr. or so is meh imo.

Is there a way to mute voices during battle, but have them on during cut-scenes?

batbeg

Neither Game nor Gamestation had it in today, probably just as well as I didn't have enough games to sell for it :(

Looking forward to Error's impressions :D

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
inner-G said:

Is there a way to mute voices during battle, but have them on during cut-scenes?
Hard to gauge only after the beginning of the ramp up. Let us know how it is about 5 hours in. Anyways, hope mine gets here today. Stuck happily with Vesperia until then.

Quazar

inner-G said:

Agreed. Was just about to post same thing. For those wondering the beginning is mostly boring tutorials.

AgentOtaku said:
what...it's actually been partly true as far as the big current gen jRPG ones are considered

- Lost Odyssey's story falls flat on it's face before the 3rd Disc

- Blue Dragon, while I love it to death, hardly offers anything new or at least unique as far as it's narrative choices

- Enchanted Arms ....well I honestly don't know about this one, but it isn't well regarded overall

- Tales of Vesperia ....can't say much about this either as I haven't gotten it yet

Yeah I just was getting at the fact that I think alot of rpgs, even ones on the psone and ps2, I always remember hearing "so-so" story. I mean most rpgs I play I tend to really enjoy the stories. They might not blow my mind but there good and enjoyable.

Oh well I'm looking forward to playing this game anyways.

Brakara

Blimblim said:
It's not published by Square-Enix in every territories, here is France Koch Media is doing it. And usually when it's the case they put a region lock.

Wasn't Project Sylpheed region free? Well, at least the non SE published ones. Then again, they were published much later than SE's Japanese version. Oh, well, I'm still hoping to be able to get the cheap Asian version of IU.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Just got it, but I have no idea when I'll get around to playing it. :(
Approaching RPG overload right now.

burgerdog

I think I'm at the point in which the game stops holding your hand and it's become a lot more enjoyable. I haven't done that many battles, but I could easily tell that this will be the best part of the game, and I have no problem with that at all. I'm also really impressed with the music so far, hope the rest of the soundtrack is just as good. Now graphics, they were not that impressive during the first two sections of the game, but now that I've reached Nolaan and entered the Dragonshrine I am pleased with the graphics. There's a really awesome section just before you reach Nolaan, that was quite impressive. Taking a little break now, though. I think I'm going to enjoy this game more than I thought.

Quazar

So far these kids are no where near as annoying as the two in LO. That's a +

edit: And yes the slowdown in battle is very standoutish for those wondering.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Quazar said:
So far these kids are no where near as annoying as the two in LO. That's a +

edit: And yes the slowdown in battle is very standoutish for those wondering.

How bad does the slowdown affect battles and timing parry's and such?

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
FUCK YEAH. I get five minutes into the game and my 360 decides it's going to die for the second time. AAWWWESOME. Perfect timing. :/

Guess I'll go back to playing Ys.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Ok, 2 hours in. Just did the first dungeon of the game.

+ I think the game looks great graphically, very vibrant and colorful. the character models are great, too.

+ voice acting is great, I already spotted some familiar voices. Aya=Yukari (P3), Eugene=Rufus (VP2), Capell=Luke (ToTA) etc... etc... I know these people are overused in games lately, but they usually do a good job.

+ Music is REALLY nice so far, it fits the game really well.

- unvoiced cutscenes. shitty shitty shitty. Can't believe SE greenlighted something like this. Although most unvoiced cutscenes are under a minute long, even if they are short I don't think there are any excuses.

- not really con, but I wish I had an HD tv. there's lots to read (item descriptions and stuff) and it's hard as shit to see sometimes :(

Lets talk gameplay. Everyone here knows I'm a huge tri-Ace fan, so I was obviously REALLY looking forward to this. the studio first next-gen effort, and a really promising one at that. The battle system is kinda like SO3, but slower... Capell isn't as fast as Fate for instance. The controls take awhile to get used to, specially the sheathe/unsheathe thing. Battle controls are similar to SO, but tri-Ace also implement a Tales-esque 'set up attacks'. 'By set up attacks' I mean a simple combination of buttons used to set up a battle skill. These attacks do NOT consume MP. Dancing Rhapsody, Spinning Walts, Crescendo Spikes, Diminuendo Dive are the attacks I'm talking bout. The battle skills (the first one capell learns is called Slashing Cannon) consumes MP and they level up as you keep using them, whether the move changes at max level or just becomes stronger, I don't know yet. AI is REALLY good, they heal when they have to, run when they are low on health etc.. etc..

Individual traits are a really neat feature, it makes each character's personality actually have an impact in the gameplay. For instance, Rico and Rucha like being together so if they are on the same party they will get a stats boots. Balgaban has a trait called Endurance which apparently makes him get stronger when he is low on health. Rucha's likes pulling pranks, so when she surprises an enemy she will get a stat boosts for the duration of the ambush etc.. etc.. I also really like the chatter between characters in the dungeon, sometimes they warn you if they suspect there's a trap or enemies nearby. Pressing Y will make a character heal you quickly, so there's no need for menus. The controls are such that you DO NOT need to access the menu at all in battles, even the AI options can be switched around without accessing the menu.

The Connect System is simple and easy to use, I still don't know how viable the CAs are for combos and stuff but we'll see later when I have more characters to experiment with. Item Creation is super simple, people put off by SO3 complex IC be at eased. the game even tells you the ingredients you need for the items, so it's kind of like VP2 crafting system+SO2 IC. As you keep creating items that character will get better and better, more items will open up for creation and the success rate will be higher.

I absolutely love how the game makes you feel like you are in adventure, it literally feels like MMORPG at times. the way the party sits down while you navigate the menu is a really nice touch, IMO. Also when connecting in towns that character you are connected with will follow you, once you cut of the connection she/he will go to where he was which is pretty neat.

Cutscenes are typical tri-Ace affair, fairly robotic looking not really surprised by this.

So far I'm pleased with it, although I haven't had much time to really get into the intricacies of each system. I usually suck with these kind of posts since I keep talking shit and sometimes drift away from what I originally wanted to say.

Oh there's definitely slow down, but it only happens when Capell attacks. the problem is when Capell attacks 2 or 3 targets at the same time.

Also, the boss in the dragon shrine was super easy. pulling off RDs was easy on him since he basically telegraphed his attacks.

Quazar

Just finished first main boss I guess in Dragon Shrine. That shit was fun and I'm starting to see game plays potential now. I kited a blue Ogre around and had mages blast him with spells while a Dragon continued to shoot fireballs my way. Fucking awesome. :lol This is as spoilish as I'll get.

purg3 said:
How bad does the slowdown affect battles and timing parry's and such?

Haven't really found myself having to use parry, but yea I can see it being a little annoying.

Yea the traits are pretty cool Error. Error is spot on IMO. I'm liking that MMO feel as well. :D

Basch

These impressions piss me off. Not because they are positive, but because I dropped my preorder once Best Buy said they may not get the metallic cover, even though they advertised it on the damn boxes. I'm giving 'em a week. If it's not in by then, standard or not, IU is mine. :D

Error said:
Ok, 2 hours in. Just did the first dungeon of the game.

+ I think the game looks great graphically, very vibrant and colorful. the character models are great, too.

+ voice acting is great, I already spotted some familiar voices. Aya=Yukari (P3), Eugene=Rufus (VP2), Capell=Luke (ToTA) etc... etc... I know these people are overused in games lately, but they usually do a good job.

+ Music is REALLY nice so far, it fits the game really well.

- unvoiced cutscenes. shitty shitty shitty. Can't believe SE greenlighted something like this. Although most unvoiced cutscenes are under a minute long, even if they are short I don't think there are any excuses.

- not really con, but I wish I had an HD tv. there's lots to read (item descriptions and stuff) and it's hard as shit to see sometimes :(

Lets talk gameplay. Everyone here knows I'm a huge tri-Ace fan, so I was obviously REALLY looking forward to this. the studio first next-gen effort, and a really promising one at that. The battle system is kinda like SO3, but slower... Capell isn't as fast as Fate for instance. The controls take awhile to get used to, specially the sheathe/unsheathe thing. Battle controls are similar to SO, but tri-Ace also implement a Tales-esque 'set up attacks'. 'By set up attacks' I mean a simple combination of buttons used to set up a battle skill. These attacks do NOT consume MP. Dancing Rhapsody, Spinning Walts, Crescendo Spikes, Diminuendo Dive are the attacks I'm talking bout. The battle skills (the first one capell learns is called Slashing Cannon) consumes MP and they level up as you keep using them, whether the move changes at max level or just becomes stronger, I don't know yet. AI is REALLY good, they heal when they have to, run when they are low on health etc.. etc..

Individual traits are a really neat feature, it makes each character's personality actually have an impact in the gameplay. For instance, Rico and Rucha like being together so if they are on the same party they will get a stats boots. Balgaban has a trait called Endurance which apparently makes him get stronger when he is low on health. Rucha's likes pulling pranks, so when she surprises an enemy she will get a stat boosts for the duration of the ambush etc.. etc.. I also really like the chatter between characters in the dungeon, sometimes they warn you if they suspect there's a trap or enemies nearby. Pressing Y will make a character heal you quickly, so there's no need for menus. The controls are such that you DO NOT need to access the menu at all in battles, even the AI options can be switched around without accessing the menu.

The Connect System is simple and easy to use, I still don't know how viable the CAs are for combos and stuff but we'll see later when I have more characters to experiment with. Item Creation is super simple, people put off by SO3 complex IC be at eased. the game even tells you the ingredients you need for the items, so it's kind of like VP2 crafting system+SO2 IC. As you keep creating items that character will get better and better, more items will open up for creation and the success rate will be higher.

I absolutely love how the game makes you feel like you are in adventure, it literally feels like MMORPG at times. the way the party sits down while you navigate dungeons is a really nice touch, IMO. Also when connecting in towns that character you are connected with will follow you, once you cut of the connection she/he will go to where he was which is pretty neat.

Cutscenes are typical tri-Ace affair, fairly robotic looking not really surprised by this.

So far I'm pleased with it, although I haven't had much time to really get into the intricacies of each system. I usually suck with these kind of posts since I keep talking shit and sometimes drift away from what I originally wanted to say.

Oh there's definitely slow down, but it only happens when Capell attacks. the problem is when Capell attacks 2 or 3 targets at the same time.

Also, the boss in the dragon shrine was super easy. pulling off RDs was easy on him since he basically telegraphed his attacks.

Great post, thanks for the impressions.

robot

Just started the game up, got about 3 minutes into the introduction and the game froze. Now I have the rrod. Blarf.

DiddyBop

robot said:
Just started the game up, got about 3 minutes into the introduction and the game froze. Now I have the rrod. Blarf.
:lol

no but really,do you have an older 360? try restarting it. sometimes if the power goes out while im playin my 360 rrod,but its fine after a reset.

tehbear

WickedLaharl said:
could someone please list preorder dlc items? i want to know if they are worth waiting on amazon to ship the game or not.

Store I ordered it from didn't get their preorder crap in yet :( lame.

Captain N

I am liking this more than Tales at this point. I'm about an hour in and love the neat battle scenes
where you carry someone. I have no idea how to open the fang door. Any hints Error?

robot

DiddyBop said:
:lol

no but really,do you have an older 360? try restarting it. sometimes if the power goes out while im playin my 360 rrod,but its fine after a reset.

I tried it a few times and it did come back, but everytime I start the game up it freezes with a garbled mess on screen. Great timing.

burgerdog

I need help in the first dungeon. I think I know what to do, but I am failing at the execution. Dragonshine door spoilers:
How do you offer the door the bat and the snake? I lure them close to the door and then click on the door and nothing happens. I kill them near the door and nothing happens. Now I'm killing them to see if they drop items, any help would be appreciated.

Quazar

Error said:
Anyone got into Luce Plains? the draw distance is INSANE.

Yea, very nice. I'm in Palace now confused on what to do.

burgerdog said:
I need help in the first dungeon. I think I know what to do, but I am failing at the execution. Dragonshine door spoilers:
How do you offer the door the bat and the snake? I lure them close to the door and then click on the door and nothing happens. I kill them near the door and nothing happens. Now I'm killing them to see if they drop items, any help would be appreciated.

You have to use charm and than command them to door when they are near door examine the door

I picked this up during my lunch break. I probably won't get around to actually playing for a while because I'm busy with Vesperia. I just wanted to pick it up as soon as possible so I could get the pre-order bonus.

Top Bottom