• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ninja Kn1ght said:
I'm tempted to cancel my order since the impressions are so mixed but with Vesperia not coming out here for 6 months or so, I might just get it.
Vesperia is totally worth it, seriously. This game is still in the mail but I am very interested as well.

batbeg

LiquidMetal14 said:
Vesperia is totally worth it, seriously. This game is still in the mail but I am very interested as well.

Hard to be excited about a game not coming out here until next Spring :( :( :(

:(

Yasser

Got it. This is an impression for somebody who hasn't played a lot of Tri-Ace RPGs.
thanks for the impressions, still waiting for my copy to be shipped. shane on 1up mentioned that you can/will destroy items in the heat of battle because you need to put your weapon away first. has this been an issue for you?

Skilletor

Yasser said:
thanks for the impressions, still waiting for my copy to be shipped. shane on 1up mentioned that you can/will destroy items in the heat of battle because you need to put your weapon away first. has this been an issue for you?

It was a problem for me running through the first area. An hour and a half in and I haven't done it since. Something you have to accustom yourself to.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I spent some time playing this myself and enjoyed what I played thus far. Even the tutorials, which everyone complains about, weren't bad. The forest was a bit overly dark for its own good, but it wasn't too bothersome in the end. After spending so much time with Vesperia, it is nice to actually have decently animated cutscenes and a great Sakuraba soundtrack (so much better than ToV).

Still, in the end, I think Vesperia will be the better overall game (despite the fact that it contains so many dated elements).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just started playing this, died in the forest at the beginning as the ogre came back and I had no idea what to do... gonna re-try tonight. So far, I agree with White Man's criticisms... I am a much bigger tri-Ace fan than him and am still willing to give the game a chance. But I find the camera to be a bit problematic (especially after you get knocked down), the lack of pausing when you want to use a menu annoying, and the button presses a bit unresponsive. Aiming Aya's bow is also a pain in the ass, and seems to be only useful for surprise attacks or blowing up barrels in the distance. I can't imagine actually using it in a frantic battle, blowing up the barrels during the ogre fight at the beginning was annoying as hell as is.

Still willing to give it a chance, hoping I'll get used to it... apart from SO3 I have yet to be disappointed in tri-Ace. Graphics and production values so far are very nice, although I don't like how you're immediately thrust into the nighttime woods where it's hard to find where you're going, after escaping from the dark, bleak dungeon. Music sounds good too. Game overall reminds me a bit of FFXII, but with actual gameplay.

BTW, any easily-missable achievements?

Hmm I beat this one dude and got a bonus for defeating him in under 2 minutes. I imagine there's another bonus for beating him without getting hit.

Shame there isn't a battle trophy collection to keep track of these things. =/

Amon37

Quazar said:
So the guide isn't out in stores? Talk about slowness.

When I picked up my pre-order gamestop said something happened with the shipment of the strat guides. They will have them today.

As evident by the fact I can already pick ingredients and already have access to an IC skill I'm glad I'm getting it.

so...did anyone actually pick up this game at best buy? I remember when crisis core came out, its metallic cover was just artwork printed in grey :lol man I hated that cover more than the game

ravien56

im still working through blue dragon, on the 3rd disc, but im gonna need another rpg when im done, should I pick this up?blue dragon was alright, the battle sucked shit though and the story...I dunno, playing other tri-ace games such as VP and so3, those games were pretty good, but based on reading reviews and impressions on this thread, i dunno...>_<

I'm only a little over an hour in, and I don't get how to open this one door that says
black wings and venom fangs. I take the snake and bat there, but it still won't open.

Amon37

Linkzg said:
I'm only a little over an hour in, and I don't get how to open this one door that says
black wings and venom fangs. I take the snake and bat there, but it still won't open.

The answer is up about 70-80 posts (I use 100 posts per page)

Use charm skill to lure to the door and then examine.

Amon37 said:
The answer is up about 70-80 posts (I use 100 posts per page)

Use charm skill to lure to the door and then examine.

Thanks, but seriously, wtf. They give you a tutorial on how to open a damn treasure chest, but now to explain what Penguin Parade is? COME ON!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Linkzg said:
Thanks, but seriously, wtf. They give you a tutorial on how to open a damn treasure chest, but now to explain what Penguin Parade is? COME ON!
Yeah, I've been stuck at this for like 30 minutes. I can't remember the number of times I went back to almost the beginning of the level to get a huge train of creatures to that altar thinking maybe it needed more or whatever.
Another annoying thing in the game is that they sometimes tell you to go somewhere, like a city name, and that's it. You'll have to explore the plains to find the most probable way to there.
Jtyettis said:
Which video is the famous Dragon scene Blim?
Part 5. Personally I think it's a rather cheap looking scene though ;)

Alright... so since people are posting their impressions here goes mine:

-Main character is likable... sorta whimpy, yet he is a flute player so I give him slack (plus he could change later).

-Combat reminds me of a mix between Kingdom Hearts and FFXII. Due to the fact that the game is in real time, including when you go into menus, this game just gives me the vibe as if the two games were mixed together.

-Music is OUTSTANDING!

-Voice acting is decent, some characters sound a little overdone.

-No voice on certain cutscenes certainly is weird but not game destroying by any means.

-The combo partner system works pretty well. I like being able to use the chick to aim and shoot her bow.

I am only about an hour in but I will say the game is growing on me. I really didn't go in expecting anything or knowing what to expect. I just knew IGN gave it a subpar score.
I will say I about laugh my ass off when
I had to carry the chick while this huge dragon was spitting fireballs of doom up my ass

Overall I think this will be a solid game. That could change considering there is alot more to see, but overall I get good impressions from it.

takotchi

cleveridea said:
so...did anyone actually pick up this game at best buy? I remember when crisis core came out, its metallic cover was just artwork printed in grey :lol man I hated that cover more than the game

No, it was metallic, just like the pre-order box. If you somehow got one that didn't have the foil, it was a printing error I guess.

Rimshot

Blim, my guess is you have tried out both this and ToV a little by now. From your impressions and so on, which do you favor so far?

Rimshot said:
Blim, my guess is you have tried out both this and ToV a little by now. From your impressions and so on, which do you favor so far?

Yeah... this Blim. I'm curious to know. I had bought Tales but then returned it for Mercs 2 seeing as I planned on getting Infinite Discovery and wondering what people are thinking or the + and - between the two rpgs.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Rimshot said:
I *hated* the demo of ToV so I didn't bother with importing the game, sorry.
Especially since the English Asian version will be released tomorrow, I might import that one. Maybe.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
When you're running through the forest in the beginning, is it supposed to be so dark you can't see anything but torches? It was absurdly dark, I could only navigate using the mini-map... and my TV's brightness is set fairly high.

This game is incredibly unpolished. I'm about 2 hours in, and I'm pretty disappointed. I really dig the combat though, so I'm sticking with it a bit longer.

well I got the preorder 'limited foil print'. Its completely stupid.

I dont have my digital camera with me, someone here at the office used their cell phone camera so its not a good picture.

However you can see at the top, the head of the character is cut in half so you cant see the eyes.

InfiniteLameness.jpg

Amon37

cleveridea said:
well I got the preorder 'limited foil print'. Its completely stupid.

I dont have my digital camera with me, someone here at the office used their cell phone camera so its not a good picture.

However you can see at the top, the head of the character is cut in half so you cant see the eyes.

InfiniteLameness.jpg

That is same way the official wallpaper is on SE's site and other sites.

Amon37 said:
That is same way the official wallpaper is on SE's site and other sites.

WTF you're right :lol thats the dumbest illustration I ever saw.

I did wonder 'did they remove the eyes to make it a "mystery" of who the character is' but then I thought no, it just looks stupid. Why would I want to look at a guy's man-skirt

MCD

cleveridea said:
WTF you're right :lol thats the dumbest illustration I ever saw.

I did wonder 'did they remove the eyes to make it a "mystery" of who the character is' but then I thought no, it just looks stupid. Why would I want to look at a guy's man-skirt
the main character looks like some other guy in the game which is the main plot or something.

well stuck at work so I cant play this game. for those that care, the preorder code says that you enter the code to get a special voucher within the game. with this voucher, shops have some unique items to buy. so sounds like it unlocks multiple things (and not just one choice)

cleveridea said:
well stuck at work so I cant play this game. for those that care, the preorder code says that you enter the code to get a special voucher within the game. with this voucher, shops have some unique items to buy. so sounds like it unlocks multiple things (and not just one choice)

yeah it unlocks 5 items available in shops

so I am really surprised at all the low review scores for the game, especially when none of the negatives sound that important to me (like 20 hours being too short, which I think is not an issue if its a good 20 hours). It sounds like if this game was released and reviewed before Tales of Vesperia it might have done better (Vesperia looking so good and being such a long game in particular).

can anyone playing this compare with rogue galaxy? I loved that game, and it didnt sell too well if I recall.

Rimshot

Does anyone have an extra code for me? I'm buying it from vgplus since the pal version was regionlocked :( (i have an ntsc-u console for some reason) and vgplus do not have the pre order codes.

Where am I supposed to go now?
I was told to bring the green haired guy down, and then he talked about these glowing orbs, then I am in the room with the save sphere and the other party members....now what? I ran all the way down and all the way up, I am so confused.

OH WAHT THE FUCK! Stupid piece of shit 'puzzle' bullshit.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Linkzg said:
Where am I supposed to go now?
I was told to bring the green haired guy down, and then he talked about these glowing orbs, then I am in the room with the save sphere and the other party members....now what? I ran all the way down and all the way up, I am so confused.

OH WAHT THE FUCK! Stupid piece of shit 'puzzle' bullshit.
It's not a puzzle,
iirc there is a "forcefield" barrier you can remove with your flute somewhere near you found the green haired dude

Blimblim said:
It's not a puzzle,
iirc there is a "forcefield" barrier you can remove with your flute somewhere near you found the green haired dude

I consider it a puzzle simply because they didn't tell you to do that, they bring you back down implying that you should go in that direction, and they didn't give any sign of why you should go back up. I am willing to call it bad design instead of a puzzle, but I am trying to be positive here.

Blackjack

Linkzg said:
I consider it a puzzle simply because they didn't tell you to do that, they bring you back down implying that you should go in that direction, and they didn't give any sign of why you should go back up. I am willing to call it bad design instead of a puzzle, but I am trying to be positive here.
"Stupid piece of shit 'puzzle' bullshit." is positive? :lol

Ok so last night I got stuck at the part where you have to bring bats and snakes (or is it bat wings and snake fangs) to the door. I've tried luring them there to no affect, do you have to have both items and be poisoned or something?

Yeah the place I bought this game at was giving the codes out either so like someone else said, if anyone has any extra... pm me.

I really like the vibe this game is giving me. I only played a little of my friends Tales of Vespair and I honestly like the look and feel of this game over Tales, at least from an visual/style standpoint.

Anyone who played a good bit further have further impressions to give? Seeing as the begining of the game is being called out as the worst part of the game, I want others thoughts on this.

Top Bottom