• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

jrricky

Banned
Loudninja said:
It has VA, but not all the cutscenes will have it.
:/ I knew it wasnt me. But that ruins the experience for me sadly cause there showing the charas up close while their lips move but no words come out. presentation -1. oh well.......the rest of the game better cheer me up cause nothin has impressed me much yet............

jrricky

Banned
OK, just finished the escape level, which I thought was jarring. At first i thought to myself, why the hell couldnt i see anything infront of me, so I decided to play with my TV's brightness level. That was a bad idea cause it made everything worse. Then i realized it probably was a game level element, which I thought didnt work too well as far as gameplay goes to me, it felt claustrophobic.

I dont know if its me or the game either. But I thought it was really hard to target enemies, especially those annoying wasps, up until I was gettin a little frustrated. I hope this doesnt carry on later in the game, cause I died 2 times because of it. Yep, that level was awful to me....

Uncle AJ

I heard you can turn CRESCENDO SPIKE!off battle voices, but I haven't found DANICING RHAPSODY!a way. Any help? I'd really like toINNUENDO DIVE! stop it.

EDIT: found it, apprently setting options from the Title Screen doesn't affect the options in an already existing save file, you have to change them during gameplay.

burgerdog

Mo the Hawk said:
I heard you can turn CRESCENDO SPIKE!off battle voices, but I haven't found DANICING RHAPSODY!a way. Any help? I'd really like toINNUENDO DIVE! stop it.

EDIT: found it, apprently setting options from the Title Screen doesn't affect the options in an already existing save file, you have to change them during gameplay.

What did you turn off specifically?

Uncle AJ

burgerdog said:
What did you turn off specifically?

Set Event Messages to Subtitles Only. It was on Voice Only before.

I saved in a town with no combat to test it out with, but others in this thread claim that you can in fact turn off battle voices, so I can only assume that was how to do it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
nope

you have to turn off voices entirely (where the music/sound effects options are), so even the cutscenes will be muted. kind a shitty for people who don't like all the battle shouting (personally I love it, specially the chatter between the characters in dungeons/areas).

I was worried during the very sloppy ogre chase and pitch black woods but after doing the dragonbone shrine I can safely say Iam now in love. Seem to struggle with sneking up on enemies though.

Error

Lonesome_Raod said:
I was worried during the very sloppy ogre chase and pitch black woods but after doing the dragonbone shrine I can safely say Iam now in love. Seem to struggle with sneking up on enemies though.
easy when you connect with a character with long range skills. if a blue target icon pops up on the enemy, that means long range skills work on it.

takotchi

Ran into my first show-stopping bug: I was reading through the achievement list and saw "On The Run" (Deliver Aya to the village without taking damage) and I thought "gee, I could have sworn I did that, why didn't I get the achievement?".

Soo, I loaded up the old save and after about a billion tries, made it again without taking damage. Didn't get the achievement. Son of a bitch. Now what am I supposed to do?

edit: Oh well, I did it once more and I got it. Bleh.

jrricky

Banned
WTF? This game doesnt let you retry a boss battle. What the hell kind of day and age do we live in when we make the players have to load from their last save point........when their not given a chance to save before the battle and their last save point is in a town? ARRRGGGHHHHHHHHH! Done for the night............This shit is underwhelming tri-ace.

jrricky

Banned
Error said:
what boss was this?
The first goddamn boss. The ogre thing and the dragon. The door puzzle sucked out most of my time(and my life) cause i didnt know what the hell i was supposed to do, so I kept going back and fightin and luring and fightin and luring, ughh.....until I broke down and went to gamefaqs, which was no help at all. :/

Then I figured out the damn kid had magic which controls enemies (how the hell was I supposed to know that?) by going through everyones skills to waste time. After i controlled and lured both I went through the door, not expecting a boss battle I may add cause I expect save points to be atleast close to where a boss battle is going to start. :(

Error

that boss is super easy, ogres are easy to pull off Deflect Drives on them. You can the attacks coming a mile away... you also need to position yourself in a way that the ogre will cover you from the fire attacks the dragon throws. and that's putting the ogre between you and the dragon.

errr... That's why you always check the personal data from every character. it'll give you a hint about they specialize in. Rico's a beast tamer, Rucha is a summoner... etc.. etc..

jrricky

Banned
Error said:
that boss is super easy, ogres are easy to pull off Deflect Drives on them. You can the attacks coming a mile away... you also need to position yourself in a way that the ogre will cover you from the fire attacks the dragon throws. and that's putting the ogre between you and the dragon.
nah, lost odyssey and other RPGs (and genres) spoiled me cause I knew a challenging battle is going to start when i see a save point...........but there was none in this shit, im furious. Im gonna have to go through this whole level again retreading everything from the village on up. :( If this shit happens later on Im done with this, dont really have the patience for this kind of stuff, im already not really enjoyin it.

Can someone please give me a recommendation.
I like action RPG's like Zelda and Fable with more direction, but really hate oblivion with it's lack of direction. I also reaaaaaaallllly hate turn based battles like the final fantasy games.
So what I want to know is, will UI or ToV satify my needs for a more action RPG until Fable 2 arrives?

MoogPaul

Eyemus Lutt said:
Can someone please give me a recommendation.
I like action RPG's like Zelda and Fable with more direction, but really hate oblivion with it's lack of direction. I also reaaaaaaallllly hate turn based battles like the final fantasy games.
So what I want to know is, will UI or ToV satify my needs for a more action RPG until Fable 2 arrives?

If you like Fable's battle system, you will like the battle system in IU. No question about it.

Put about an 2 hours into this thus far. Got up to the DragonShrine door and of course ran into the same problem alot people ran into with that "Puzzle" ....though the only puzzling thing about it is the game's lack of direction/explanation...
So right before I left to work this morning, I read how to do it. (which I fucking hate having to do!)

Other thoughts:

- I find this game quite gorgeous! excellent character models and faces. Well executed art direction thus far. I certainly love the actual animation of the characters....especially coming off of Too Human ....Proprietary engines go go go!!!

- Music is fuuuuucking goooood!

- once I got the timing down with attacks (which I always prefer over just mashing shit anyway), I dug the battle system alot! ...though I wish there was just a standard block rather than parry.

- the non-va parts didn't bother so much. I think its just the cinematic flair in them that throws people off because it sends the message that these people should be speaking during them

- the actual VA/Cinemas parts are good for the most part, though yeah, I don't know why some of them are so off with their sync

- I really appreciated how you just jump right into the game and don't have to sit through a 20+ minutes intro ala Valkyrie Profile or something. Though admittedly, the dark forest area was just an overall odd way to intro the unknowing player into things. I'd rather have just hung out around the dungeon some more for the tutorial bits...

- The game so far is certainly technically solid with it's loading and what not....once again, go proprietary engines!

- Thus far I actually dig Capel as a lead....he's got a great sorta indifference/naivity to everything but he's not a complete moron about it like alotta leads. He does indeed have pretty good chemistry with Aya as well

- Being a father, I always love jRPGs with kids in them! ...and I think these two kids are cute! :D

- Overall pretty good VA ...especially Capel

So thus far, I'm pleasanty impressed by IU and can't fucking wait to get home and play it some more!!! :D

AgentOtaku said:
So thus far, I'm pleasanty impressed by IU and can't fucking wait to get home and play it some more!!! :D

Glad you are enjoying it. I would have hated for you to have picked it up due to myself or others comments and not be enjoying it. I do agree with you on almost everything... especially the dark forest bit. Yet after its done... the game just starts rocking... creepy twin kids and all.

alanias

Any estimate on how many hours it takes before it gets good? Like how long does it take to get through the dark forest.

Why can't Edward be the main character? Capell is such a bitch. Even
at the end of disk 1 where you think he will be all serious and step up now, he still acts like a bitch. Edward is the best.[/spoiler[]

alanias said:
Any estimate on how many hours it takes before it gets good? Like how long does it take to get through the dark forest.

Maybe 10 minutes if I recall? Overall perhaps a hour before the game starts taking off.

FtsH

How do I open those locked chest? Do I buy keys somewhere or connect to someone who can unlock it? Thanks for help.

LiquidMetal14 said:
You try breaking it? Or some have abilities to do so.

I had noticed there was a locked chest inside a house but because I can't unsheath my sword inside I can't break it open. Guess you have to have the ability to unlock those kind.

FtsH

Linkzg said:
Why can't Edward be the main character? Capell is such a bitch. Even
at the end of disk 1 where you think he will be all serious and step up now, he still acts like a bitch. Edward is the best.[/spoiler[]
The ending of Disk 1 was actually moving. But as you said, our Capell failed soon after again and back to him-stupid-self. :lol

Error

you get a character later that can unlock treasure chests and disarm traps. don't worry about those chests now.

OmegaErock

Neo Member
Gyoru said:

I know it's been said many times in this thread but damn those kids are creepy. I always think they are hiding a butcher knife behind their backs and are going to stab me any second. :lol

But even the creepy kids can't ruin that epic dance scene.

Error

I lol'd when the mom was like "take them, TAKE THEM NOW!"

also Capell
has to be the horniest lead character ever, he always thinking about sex
haha

i received my copy today, it was sent to me last wednesday and it only took 2 days to arrive from UK to Spain from amazon.co.uk, so i'll try it later.

anyway i have a question for those that did the pre-order to amazon.co.uk, i haven't received the dlc code that was given away by pre-ordering the game, i sent them an email and now they tell me that IU has never had a special item given away by its preorder, what the hell is wrong with them?

did anyone received the coupon/code from amazon.co.uk?

FtsH

Error said:
you get a character later that can unlock treasure chests and disarm traps. don't worry about those chests now.
mind tell me his/her name? Hope I didn't miss the chance of getting this character in my team.

Error

haha, the IGN dude complained about having to equip everyone with good shit because you never know when they are going to be needed because of the multiparty mechanic... characters that aren't in the main party will not die regardless of how much they get hit.

so yeah, only your main party should have the best equipment. I did this boss with some characters that weren't in the main party, and they got hit a shitload of times, but they never perished.

IGN tsk tsk

Useful tip, so you don't expend your money like crazy. although they won't die, you will probably get a meh rank in multi party missions.

Vic can open locked treasure chest.
And Komachi

Another useful tip: SAVE BEFORE ATTEMPTING ITEM CREATION. I somehow forget this and waste precious materials in failed attempts :(

Combine

Banned
Ok, I finally picked this up and had a chance to play last night.

First off, I've been seriously playing Too Human too damn much and its affected my gameplay style. During combat I kept moving the right stick to try and attack, only of course to be screwed by the camera. :lol

Oh yeah the camera, god, anyone who disliked Too Human's camera should not enjoy this one at all, heck, I think its worse, because it never is where I want it to be and sometimes I can't see the action.

Other than that though, things aren't too bad, combat is relaitvely fun once you get the hang of it, though so far, those "connect" moves are not intuitive at all. Maybe after some practice I'll start to understand them better though.

Voice acting is so-so, so far. Some characters are ok, but many are just kind of "eh". So, I'm not too dissapointed in some of the unvoiced cutscenes.

The music though is outstanding, so I'm very pleased with that. I'm also actually quite glad at the reports that this game is somewhat "short". I simply do not have the time for overly long games these days (and especially with so many more coming out before the end of the year).

All in all, I'm looking forward to playing more. :)

Error, how far are you into the game? I'm over 8 hours and it seems like its going to be more than the 30 hours that the reviews say they are. I just destroyed the chain in the first desert villiage (the game's getting SOOOO much better as I get farther!).

Error

25 hours in. the
Luna rain effect is beautiful but man, so many particles in the field plus the flashes from your attacks=zomg seizure
lolz

The trait feature is so fucking awesome, I just discovered you unlock more via Private Actions. You CAN unlock some traits in battles, like Komachi's
fear of ghosts which I thought was really cute. She was like "oh noooo ghosts!!" and her stats went down hahaha

the AI in this game is REALLY good, I'm really surprised. After SO3 abysmal AI, this is leaps and bounds MUCH MUCH better. They heal status effects if you happen to have the item in the inventory without being told. I also like how you can customize the AI, you can turn off items you don't want them to use, same works for spells. Spellcaster AI is competent, too. They won't cast a spell in front of the enemy, instead they retreat to a 'safe spot' to cast spells. We'll see if it holds up in higher difficulty settings, but so far I'm really impressed by the AI in this game.

first hour in the game and i'm liking it so far, if it still gets better then it might be one of my favourite 360 games.

btw, i'm really fucked up by amazon.co.uk they won't send me the dlc code, so i won't get the bonus items. if anyone gets an extra code and would like to share it with me i'd be really glad

Top Bottom