• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

burgerdog

Wow, I got owned in the mountains. For some reason I was only able to set a party of three. It would have been a lot easier if they would have allowed a party of four.

Anything? Anything?
Dammmnnn everything is so expensive in
Fayel re-visited

Anyone figure out some good specials for ground combos? Most I've been able to get is 6 hits. =/

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
you are obviously not going to get a lot of hits doing ground combos, otherwise you would be invincible. I haven't experimented that much, but Touma's Seamless Fury skill is GREAT to rack up a bunch of hits in a short time. you just need to time it correctly since enemies get up rather quickly.

Leveling up the Writing IC skill is such a pain in the ass. :( the others level up REALLY quick.

Error

We need more seamless JRPGs, I always tell myself...

"I'm going to this town... oh wait there's a monster there let me kill it..."

20 minutes later

"oh... another monster, cool!"

Error said:
We need more seamless JRPGs, I always tell myself...

"I'm going to this town... oh wait there's a monster there let me kill it..."

20 minutes later

"oh... another monster, cool!"

likewise :lol

This is fucking garbage right now. Here is a list of things stupid about this current segment
where I need to stop the enemies from the tower:

1) THERE IS A TIME LIMIT! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU TRI-ACE?!
2) ENEMIES YOU CAN'T KILL, BUT YOUR TEAMMATES CAN...BUT THEY DON'T
3) WHY DON'T YOU PUT A FUCKING SAVE POINT INFRONT OF THIS SEGMENT AND NOT BACK AT THE LAST TOWN SO I NEED TO WALK ALL THE WAY THERE?1 AHUUUH1H1
4) WHY IS THERE IS A TIME LIMIT! HOW IS THIS A GOOD IDEA!

This is bullshit. And fuck that stupid asshole Eugine seeing 3 teammates dead while he sits there wanking off or some shit with 20 revive potions, 2 revive magic spells, AND HIS CHOICE IS TO DO NOTHING!!

Ridiculous.

Hawk269

AgentOtaku said:
Put about an 2 hours into this thus far. Got up to the DragonShrine door and of course ran into the same problem alot people ran into with that "Puzzle" ....though the only puzzling thing about it is the game's lack of direction/explanation...
So right before I left to work this morning, I read how to do it. (which I fucking hate having to do!)

I know others were stuck there as well..but since you made it a point to say that the "games lack of direction/explantation" I need to pick on you a little about this. I for one enjoy games where you have to think a little...and the game does not hold your hand. The game does "IN FACT" give you a hint and a pretty obvious one at that on this part.

As you first approach the door it has a cinematic and that is where it tells you the two things it requires, as the cinematic comes to end you see the camera pan to where Capell is looking at one of the twin and the one twin looks up at capell and smiles. Right then I knew that something was tied to the one twin and the puzzle. Without giving it away, I will leave it at that since you obviously passed this section.

I just find it funny that you think that there was no direction/explanation when if fact they did give you direction and a hint on what to do. You just have to pay a little attention...did you not think "Why is capell looking at the twin and why is the twin smiling at capell in front of a puzzle door?"???

Anyways, this game has alot of stuff like that, you just need to pay attention, there are some reallly subtle things in this game that can be missed...that one section though was pretty obvious though.

burgerdog

Tower of Vesplume is fucking amazing, but I missed an orb fragment so now I have to backtrack to god knows where to find it. I was pretty sure I hadn't missed any of them until Aya demanded it and she's like, YOU'RE MISSING ONE!

Fucking shit, I backtracked twice and all I had to do was craft this piece of shit(I thought you needed 4 orbs)? God damn.

Hawk269 said:
I know others were stuck there as well..but since you made it a point to say that the "games lack of direction/explantation" I need to pick on you a little about this. I for one enjoy games where you have to think a little...and the game does not hold your hand. The game does "IN FACT" give you a hint and a pretty obvious one at that on this part.

As you first approach the door it has a cinematic and that is where it tells you the two things it requires, as the cinematic comes to end you see the camera pan to where Capell is looking at one of the twin and the one twin looks up at capell and smiles. Right then I knew that something was tied to the one twin and the puzzle. Without giving it away, I will leave it at that since you obviously passed this section.

I just find it funny that you think that there was no direction/explanation when if fact they did give you direction and a hint on what to do. You just have to pay a little attention...did you not think "Why is capell looking at the twin and why is the twin smiling at capell in front of a puzzle door?"???

Anyways, this game has alot of stuff like that, you just need to pay attention, there are some reallly subtle things in this game that can be missed...that one section though was pretty obvious though.

No I agree with you...I think I might have accidentally skipped the cutscene or didn't pay enough attention

I was more dissapointed in myself for not paying enough attention and having to look it up on Gamefaqs

Jinko

Damn the Underwater Palace is difficult, no save point and crap loads of bosses
:(

The lack of save points are seriously annoying me now.

Jinko

Linkzg said:
This is fucking garbage right now. Here is a list of things stupid about this current segment

3) WHY DON'T YOU PUT A FUCKING SAVE POINT INFRONT OF THIS SEGMENT AND NOT BACK AT THE LAST TOWN SO I NEED TO WALK ALL THE WAY THERE?1 AHUUUH1H1

This is bullshit. And fuck that stupid asshole Eugine seeing 3 teammates dead while he sits there wanking off or some shit with 20 revive potions, 2 revive magic spells, AND HIS CHOICE IS TO DO NOTHING!!

Ridiculous.

Heres a hint, down attack just run ... ;)

FtsH

Please, someone help me out of this Cobasna Timberlands maze. I've been leveling up in this same area for the whole night and still cannot find the way to the doctor.

Quazar

FtsH said:
Please, someone help me out of this Cobasna Timberlands maze. I've been leveling up in this same area for the whole night and still cannot find the way to the doctor.

Sounds like fun :lol

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Is there any place that has uploaded a picture of the entire overworld map?

Like is it long linear stretches like in FFXII or is like big non-linear like Oblivion?

Linkzg said:

Ridiculous.

See, this is the kind of bullshit that happens when they only let you ever control one character.

jrricky

Banned
Okay, I returned this frustratingly disappointing game today, wasnt my cup of tea. Lack of save points was the last straw for me, in addition to the "what the hell?" puzzles and awful camera and menu system. Tales here I come, just dont disappoint me, you know what i expect from you.....

WrikaWrek

Banned
I've been playing this game more, 1h30 in. I'm liking it quite a bit, just a bit sad about the low budget cut scenes, but it's been fun.

Ridley327

Has anybody been getting a lot of DREs on this game? I'm on my second copy of the game and it keeps crapping out when I start going down the path to Feyal in the desert; the first copy crapped out whenever I entered a town. If it matters, both came from Best Buy, which has the metallic cover.

Error

FtsH said:
Yeah that place could be annoying, I just did my own map. And got out fairly quickly.

... Press Y?

do you people know that you can turn off spells? so like... with Eugene, turn off all 'offensive' spells and just leave the healing spells on. he'll concentrate on healing. Pressing Y whenever there's a dead party member also helps.

tehbear

Error said:
I also like how you can customize the AI, you can turn off items you don't want them to use, same works for spells.

Yeah I was glad when I discovered this, except when I hit bosses without warning and I don't have time to turn everything back on... -_-

On second hand, screw using healing items. I like collecting them.

Damn people. If you need to be healed PRESS "Y". :lol

They only don't heal you if they are

a) dead themselves
b) you are completely out of potions
c)you tell them they can't use certain items

It's that yellow button. Top button on the front for the color blind. :D

Error said:
... Press Y?

do you people know that you can turn off spells? so like... with Eugene, turn off all 'offensive' spells and just leave the healing spells on. he'll concentrate on healing. Pressing Y whenever there's a dead party member also helps.

Pressing Y when dead doesn't seem to do anything. Normally I mash that during combat.

And yes, you can either have on or off for spells, no levels or deeper AI settings or anything like that. I mean, I usually keep everyone on Save MP until I get to a hard enemy, but it would have been nice if there was a way I could designate one guy to just healing everyone instead of going stupid on us.

At least I have the perfect party now. Me, Edward, Eugene (that fucker), and
that Samurai Aristo.

Quazar said:
Curious, has anyone on GAF beat the game yet?

Just finished today. :) I want play again from the beginning tomorrow. New game+, bonus dungeon, blah blah, that'll have to wait. IU is my favorite game on 360.

I'm glad Motoi Sakauraba took a full orchestral approach again. He's my favorite game composer when he's focused on piano and orchestral arrangements. This game was a nice test to put him in Koji Kondo's coat with dynamic music of sorts. Good stuff.

Capell and Aya are awesome. The story was nice and the conclusion was warm. Alright, I just came on here hoping people thought this game was great like I do.

Reviews, well I don't know. They just have no sway on me. Very few enjoy games I like these days.

Error

So... I just discovered you could lock on targets and the camera will focus on that target without having to babysit it.

Almost done with the game and I just discovered that now. :/

Chrange

Banned
Combine said:
First off, I've been seriously playing Too Human too damn much and its affected my gameplay style. During combat I kept moving the right stick to try and attack, only of course to be screwed by the camera.

Too Human is screwing with me in another game - every time I play Mercenaries after a Too Human session, I spend 10 minutes learning to MOVE THE CAMERA again lol

Error

jesusssssssssssss, I absolutely love the multiparty mechanic in the dungeon crawling. so fucking awesome.

these two dungeons have been rocking thanks to this feature. less of those minigames, more dungeons pleaseeeeeeee.

Error

Aya <3 <3 <3

I'm really impressed with Gotanda's work on this game's engine, which will also be SO4's engine.

There's barely any loadtimes. Dungeons aren't divided in 'areas' once you get into a dungeon there's no loading until you get out. So the screen doesn't go black until a) you leave the area/dungeon whatever b) you get into a cutscene c) you get killed. Pretty impressive to me. Even if the game looks subpar sometimes, I can totally forgive it because of what I just mentioned.

I'm on my way to the last place now, but I'm going to make some preparations beforehand.

I think I can give a solid tri-Ace ranking now that I've played the majority of this...

Valkyrie Profile 2
Valkyrie Profile 1
Star Ocean 3
Infinite Undiscovery
Star Ocean 2
Star Ocean 1 (SFC)
Radiata Stories

IU could go up or down, depends on the post game stuff + hard mode.

I never had any problems with the menu mainly because I never try to access it during battles. I just don't rely on the menu and let my battle preparations + teammates do the work.

One legitimate complaint is the lack of save points. like they don't put a save point RIGHT before a boss, so you won't even know you are approaching a boss fight. It doesn't annoy me that much, I can see it really pissing off other people.

Hunahan

Banned
Error said:
So... I just discovered you could lock on targets and the camera will focus on that target without having to babysit it.

Almost done with the game and I just discovered that now. :/
....how?

Error

Hunahan said:
Press the right analog stick. if you have set on Auto, once you kill an enemy it'll automatically target another enemy. pretty useful.

good for bosses that love disappearing/reappearing, too.

Kweh

I've just finished Dragonbine Shrine and found the secret room thanks to the rat, there was another rat in there and he told me to deliver him to someone in Nolaan? Who do i give it to, as I think I've spoken to everyone there and none of them wanted him?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Kweh said:
I've just finished Dragonbine Shrine and found the secret room thanks to the rat, there was another rat in there and he told me to deliver him to someone in Nolaan? Who do i give it to, as I think I've spoken to everyone there and none of them wanted him?
Try the kid running around the village.

Oradain Mountains are awesome, beautiful graphics and the fights with two groups are crazy.

The beginning is meh but after one hour and a half, the game clicked with me and right now I love it. The story is simple but interesting and Aya is lovely :D

Llyranor

For those who have finished or almost done so, how does the framerate perform throughout the game? Ultimately, is it really a big issue? Does it get in the way of parrying?

Wicked, there is another mouse in the town over by one of the porches of a house that is looking for someone. I messed up I think so he wouldn't take his buddy but I'm pretty sure its him.

batbeg

Error said:
Press the right analog stick. if you have set on Auto, once you kill an enemy it'll automatically target another enemy. pretty useful.

good for bosses that love disappearing/reappearing, too.

Are you unable to target the ogre in the beginning, or is the option not yet available or something? I only played for about an hour yesterday, but I spent about 15 minutes in the damn woods trying to figure out how to target the ogre and wondering why Aya was being completely useless during the fight.

Ricker

HooDoo said:
You can't give him his rat unless you have Rico with you.

And to get Rico with you,since the party automatically disbands,well don't tag along on screen with you as soon as you enter the village,you have to go in their House and press RB near Rico to have him tag along again.

Also you can change locked targets by pressing LB.

Llyranor said:
For those who have finished or almost done so, how does the framerate perform throughout the game? Ultimately, is it really a big issue? Does it get in the way of parrying?

Well most of the time I found myself simply running away from boss attacks. Although I did manage to parry a couple of
The Dreadknight's
attacks. I guess on my later playthroughs I'll consider experimenting on what I can and can't parry.

I didn't find the framerate to be a serious issue. It also helps to keep tabs on the top of the screen to see what attack a major enemy is going to do next(course this can be tricky if everyone is doing specials/spells at once).

Beat the game btw, really enjoyed it.
Although the last boss gave me a serious Gill vibe. I think it's his voice.
Oh and
The Kraken fight was really disappointing. I just kept running behind him and mashed out some specials

I should also point out that I'm really impressed how much of an impact pre-battle planning can make. For the
dragon
boss late in the game I got slaughtered in less than a minute. However by just choosing different actions for my AI I was able to keep from getting overwhelmed.

Guess I'll take a break for a couple days and then check out the extra content.

****WARNING(spoilers)****
Anyone who is playing this game on easy stop right now and start over on normal.

Beating the game on normal unlocks
hard mode and the bonus dungeon.
Beating the game on easy unlocks
nothing

Top Bottom