• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

batbeg

I'm 4 hours in and having a fucking blast. I've just got to the first city (Burgustadt or something) and feel like I'm probably over-leveled as I ran through that castle several times making sure I got everything :lol I was very happy to get my first +40 hit combo too :D

So far I'm not understanding some of the complaints I've seen though... like not being given directions to go. Talk to your party members a couple of times, so far they've told me which direction to go. Another one was breaking treasure chests, and I feel like you have to be an idiot to not realize you're targetting a treasure chest, and despite the complaint being mentioned by someone (Shane maybe?), party members don't seem to attack them either.

Very fun with the battle system so far though, and even the story and characters are picking up. Seriously, post-dragon scene, this game picks up a lot.

burgerdog

angelfly said:
Any tips for Port Zala?

I'm using Michelle, Aya, and Rucha. Capell is LV24 and everyone else is 23. I keep getting my ass kicked by the the Order Knight. I can surivive for a while to maybe get 3 shots at attacking the orb but at a certain point Michelle gets low on MP and I can't get a spare moment to restore it since the enemies just keep constantly respawning so then my main healing source is gone.

@Ricker: You're on the right path.

Your level might be too low, I was lv35 at that point and it was a breeze.

eXistor

Still didn't receive it (they did email my code), so probably today or tomorrow. Still I got through the weekend playing fatal Frame (my first game in the series) and Ys II.

Google

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Until you can go back in time and erase Radiata Stories from existence I can't bring myself to agree.

For what it's worth, I really quite enjoyed the 12 or so hours I put into Radiata...

If IU is of better quality, I'm actually looking forward to it now.

12 hours in and still really loving it. Although I did get my ass handed to me by the
spider queen boss, only to then realise I had another fight and no items on hand.
Now I'm just going back to town to get more items and try again.

WrikaWrek said:
Help. 3 hours and something in.

The Bear, where do i find it?

Talk to the people in Fayel, then to the girl who asked you to find it again. Head out of town, and take the first turning on your right, through a thin area of the map. You'll trigger a scene and a battle.

Went a bit further into the
Seraphic Gate
. Most of the fights are retreads unfortunately but at least the gear is kickass.

Dunno though, to be honest Tri-ace really dropped the ball on this as well...
Spoilers from another game:
With VP2's Seraphic Gate not only did you have cool bossfights against a variety of characters but you also got to have "special" battles with cosplaying kobolds and got to view some completely ridiculous cutscenes. In IU's Seraphic Gate you mostly go through re-colored areas from throughout the game and fight older bosses who just happen to do more damage. Aside from Sigmund I've yet to see an appearance from anyone particularly special.

Hmm maybe I should hold back a bit. Everyone else in this thread seems to be just starting the game.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Can only Capell create the buffs and only use them on himself?

If you hit RB/LB while in the Enchant menu you can choose other characters to cast enchants on.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Went a bit further into the
Seraphic Gate
. Most of the fights are retreads unfortunately but at least the gear is kickass.

Dunno though, to be honest Tri-ace really dropped the ball on this as well...
Spoilers from another game:
With VP2's Seraphic Gate not only did you have cool bossfights against a variety of characters but you also got to have "special" battles with cosplaying kobolds and got to view some completely ridiculous cutscenes. In IU's Seraphic Gate you mostly go through re-colored areas from throughout the game and fight older bosses who just happen to do more damage. Aside from Sigmund I've yet to see an appearance from anyone particularly special.

Hmm maybe I should hold back a bit. Everyone else in this thread seems to be just starting the game.

If you hit RB/LB while in the Enchant menu you can choose other characters to cast enchants on.
that sounds super boring, if the bonus content is as lazy as that then IU is going to drop on my list.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hey guys, the game isn't out here yet, and I'm just curious: how linear is the gameplay? That is to say, how hard is it to find places you need to get to, and where to go next? Are there any waypoint markers for where to go next?

thetrin said:
Hey guys, the game isn't out here yet, and I'm just curious: how linear is the gameplay? That is to say, how hard is it to find places you need to get to, and where to go next? Are there any waypoint markers for where to go next?

It is incredibly linear, but the game still doesn't provide with a really good idea of where to go. Some ways to progress the story are just stupid.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Linkzg said:
It is incredibly linear, but the game still doesn't provide with a really good idea of where to go. Some ways to progress the story are just stupid.

And even when you were having a hard time finding what to do next, it was still only 22 hours for you? Huh. Well, I can't say I'm not excited to play this, and the short play time is actually a relief for me, after playing a lot of insanely long RPGs.

thetrin said:
And even when you were having a hard time finding what to do next, it was still only 22 hours for you? Huh. Well, I can't say I'm not excited to play this, and the short play time is actually a relief for me, after playing a lot of insanely long RPGs.

Yeah, there were several times when I would run around looking for something without realizing something the game wanted you to do first. A quick example without spoiling anything is a section towards the middle of the game where someone asks you to do something, so you go off to do it, yet even if you go to the area or talk the woman again, it doesn't advance the current section. The way you get through this is to talk to a random person in town, and by random I mean generic name that is made up of a feeling then the gender.

thetrin

Linkzg said:
Yeah, there were several times when I would run around looking for something without realizing something the game wanted you to do first. A quick example without spoiling anything is a section towards the middle of the game where someone asks you to do something, so you go off to do it, yet even if you go to the area or talk the woman again, it doesn't advance the current section. The way you get through this is to talk to a random person in town, and by random I mean generic name that is made up of a feeling then the gender.

...that sounds retarded.

Llyranor

Hmmm, mixed reactions :(

For someone who loved Valkyrie Profile for its battle system, and thoughts SO2 was okay; rent or buy?

Error

Llyranor said:
Hmmm, mixed reactions :(

For someone who loved Valkyrie Profile for its battle system, and thoughts SO2 was okay; rent or buy?
depends. it's a fun game, but it has some questionable game design choices. if you are tri-Ace fan, definite buy. If not then, I suggest you rent it and see if you like it.

You know this game also reminds me of a more in depth hack and slash like Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance or similar titles. You got the cities, the long dungeons, each with a boss, etc. Just no ISO camera setting :lol

Also again can anyone answer this. Capell has the abiltie to enchant. Can he only enchant himself?

Frillen

I'm stuck in Vesplume Tower. How many Orb of Rebirth Fragments do I need? I have three now, but it seems like I'm missing some/one.

Error

slasher_thrasher21 said:
You know this game also reminds me of a more in depth hack and slash like Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance or similar titles. You got the cities, the long dungeons, each with a boss, etc. Just no ISO camera setting :lol

Also again can anyone answer this. Capell has the abiltie to enchant. Can he only enchant himself?
you can also enchant the other characters.

Error

Datschge said:
Here you go. (Focussed on what interests me as usual, may end up adding the Microsoft Unit. Definitely won't add the three worthless but still insanely huge SE QA & PR etc. units...)

Ray Nakazato didn't joke when he said: "Microsoft is doing Infinite Undiscovery with Tri-Ace, and I talk to Tri-Ace a lot. We even talk about sharing technologies, tools, and even resources because it's a big project." But to be fair the feelplus staff involved by itself is rather small. The real surprise is the huge amount of external companies involved.
thanks, the programmers are a bunch of noobs. now I can see why the game looks and plays like it does.

Frillen said:
I'm stuck in Vesplume Tower. How many Orb of Rebirth Fragments do I need? I have three now, but it seems like I'm missing some/one.

Go to the item creation menu and you'll see Sigmund can put those fragments together to make an orb.

Error said:
Aya gives you the 4th piece.

Damn my memory is shot. All I remember is her yelling at me for not having the orb. Then again maybe there was another time I talked to her or something...damn the luck!

Frillen

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Go to the item creation menu and you'll see Sigmund can put those fragments together to make an orb.

Damn my memory is shot. All I remember is her yelling at me for not having the orb. Then again maybe there was another time I talked to her or something...damn the luck!

Ahh, thanks! It worked ;)

Frillen said:

Check Sigmund's IC chart, and you'll soon find out. You have to put the pieces together.

I just beat the game, it was pretty good. Although in my post-game save, I notice my weapons were averaging 200-500 points less than what was readily available in the shops. Perhaps I would have had an easier time with the last few bosses had I actually upgraded my weapons. Aya was still using "Longbow" and Balbagan was still using the "Sea Axe"! Whoops! Still, beat it. At levels 49-54.

hello people.

so i'm pretty sure i'll pick this up, but so basically the consensus is that the game is disappointing but still fun / worthy of a purchase for tri-Ace fans?

Ricker

FateBreaker said:
hello people.

so i'm pretty sure i'll pick this up, but so basically the consensus is that the game is disappointing but still fun / worthy of a purchase for tri-Ace fans?

Yep,and don't mind the first hour,it gets better.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Mine was supposed to arrive today. Hell, Amazon/USPS show it as delivered. But it hasn't arrived yet. Tomorrow, I guess...

iifu

Neo Member
Just started the game tonight, been playing for about an hour. Everything everyone has said is true. :lol

Got the game today, its ok so far (2 1/2 hours in), but it hasn't "clicked" yet. First hour was not good, but not THAT bad as people point out either.

The soundtrack is awesome.

WrikaWrek

Banned
The game continues to grow on me, i'm on disc 2.

The character is cooler now ;). One thing is, how this game manages to be beautiful at some times, and then manages to look like a PS2 game at others.

Still i'm having more fun with it than any other RPG this gen so far. Vesperia won't come out here for 6 months so.

Hellraizer said:
Got the game today, its ok so far (2 1/2 hours in), but it hasn't "clicked" yet. First hour was not good, but not THAT bad as people point out either.

The soundtrack is awesome.

It should really start clicking in another hour or so. :)

Error

the last dungeon in this game is so bad, reminds me of Radiata last dungeon.

such a shameless copy/paste job, it's insulting to play. even the enemies/bosses are just palette swaps. for shame, tri-Ace for shame. this is so disappointing specially after VP2's amazing looking last dungeon. My opinion of the game has pretty much plummeted.

I was expecting a good looking dungeon, something akin to Vesplume Tower, but nope. it's just the same rooms repeated over and over. fighting the same enemies you've been fighting the whole game.

the last couple of areas have been really ugly, too. the dais, the marshlands, and now the last place.

Even better.
All of the enemies I've fought in the bonus dungeon so far are palette swaps as well. Such a shameful lack of effort. I honestly don't feel like continuing.

JoeFenix

Error said:
the last dungeon in this game is so bad, reminds me of Radiata last dungeon.

such a shameless copy/paste job, it's insulting to play. even the enemies/bosses are just palette swaps. for shame, tri-Ace for shame. this is so disappointing specially after VP2's amazing looking last dungeon. My opinion of the game has pretty much plummeted.

I was expecting a good looking dungeon, something akin to Vesplume Tower, but nope. it's just the same rooms repeated over and over. fighting the same enemies you've been fighting the whole game.

the last couple of areas have been really ugly, too. the dais, the marshlands, and now the last place.

Yeah, the game took a nose dive for me when I reached Port Zala. The game just lost all it's visual charm and it became the blandest most uninspired fantasy world. It was clearly an experimental game and at some point they probably realised that they had to stop messing around with pie in the sky concepts and actualy ship a game. If only they had focused on the situational battle stuff and the multiple party mechanic and made the game more dungeon/action focused it could have been phenomenal.

The bonus dungeon is the laziest shit I've ever seen by the way. EVERYTHING is recycled! Fucking shame, I did like the story in the end even if it was delivered in a clumsy way most of the time and the game was still fun in a basic way. Star Ocean 4 better deliver tri-Ace.

Error

that's very disappointing, I was going to keep going just so I could access the bonus dungeon and see if it picked up. SO3/VP2 bonus dungeons were amazing, but this seems like such a lazy effort. the last dungeon, is really reaaaaaaaaaally bad. I believe it's like... 5 or 6 rooms repeated over and over and over and over and over and over.

Oh well.

Well I guess this works out in a way since I have a free week for Yakuza 2, then a handful of sweet games for the week of 9/16.

Damn next-gen has been sucking ass so far. Everything I've been mega-hyped for has been disappointing. =/

FtsH

Spend a whole night in Seraphic Gate and died at the 3rd level.....T T Enchant is hell important for this game.

Is there any good place to level up?

FtsH

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Even better.
All of the enemies I've fought in the bonus dungeon so far are palette swaps as well. Such a shameful lack of effort. I honestly don't feel like continuing.

palette swaps with much much higher HP:lol and when they come in groups, OMG.........

Diablos

Wow, just finished Disc 1. I am surprised how SHORT it was. Having really fun with this game so far.

Impressions so far:

+ Awesome battle system. Simply put, it's fun. FFXII should have had something like this. There's automation, but you are still in control.
+ Big environments to explore.
+ Neat characters.
+ Nice item creation system.

- Story is a bit sappy at times and, generally speaking, kind of... weird. Things just don't gel together very well. But it's a JRPG, so I was not expecting a novel.
- Soundtrack could be better, although it certainly isn't awful. A bit too simplistic though.
- Voice acting is pretty bad.
- Pacing is at times very odd.

Basically, gameplay-wise, this game makes for an awesome RPG (which is the most important thing, as far as I'm concerned). Everything else comes in at a distant second, and with some flaws; at this point they are mostly forgivable, though.

icecream said:
There's definitely more than just
Sigmund
in there.

Yeah there's
Leonid
Gabriel
and
The Queen
as well. Nothing Tri-ace fans haven't seen before.

It'd be different if there were new enemies to fight or new areas to explore, but everything is just copy-pasted from the rest of the game.

And nope nobody from
Valkyrie Profile
makes an appearance. Unless of course hard difficulty makes a difference. =/
Going to put this bitch on ebay so I can pay off my Fallout 3/Gears of War 2 preorders.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Diablos said:
Basically, gameplay-wise, this game makes for an awesome RPG (which is the most important thing, as far as I'm concerned). Everything else comes in at a distant second, and with some flaws; at this point they are mostly forgivable, though.
Interest rising, I might be able to do a trade when I'm done with Tales of Vesperia.

How are the achievements? Vesperia has me wondering if my mission to 1000/1000 all the 360 JRPGs I play a failed mission. I guess the most important thing is if there's lots of missable achievements or if you have to play the game two or three times to get all of them. Damn you Tales, damn you!

Just heading up some mountains. Really enjoying it though I find that having some characters unable to be in the main party a really silly idea.

Princess Skittles said:
Interest rising, I might be able to do a trade when I'm done with Tales of Vesperia.

How are the achievements? Vesperia has me wondering if my mission to 1000/1000 all the 360 JRPGs I play a failed mission. I guess the most important thing is if there's lots of missable achievements or if you have to play the game two or three times to get all of them. Damn you Tales, damn you!
Yes IU has some Blue Draogn-ish achievements you can miss, most are rather easy, I found one to be really hard so far
rescuing the prisoners

It should really start clicking in another hour or so. :)
Its getting better. Love the Battle System. The Story hasn't got to me yet though.

question: are there even any cgi scenes in the game beside the intro? I haven't seen any so far, makes me question the need for a second disc (besides the missing voiceovers in certain situations)

Hellraizer said:
Its getting better. Love the Battle System. The Story hasn't got to me yet though.

question: are there even any cgi scenes in the game beside the intro? I haven't seen any so far, makes me question the need for a second disc (besides the missing voiceovers in certain situations)

The story I think starts getting more interesting once you finish the first disc. I've not seen any more cgi scenes since the first one. So call my a little perplexed why the game is on two discs also.

Top Bottom