• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

BobM

I just needed to chime in to say i am enjoying the hell out of this game. I think that some a being a bit harsh in thier criticisms, and if anyone is on the fence as to whter or not to give this game a try, I say give it a chance!

joesmokey

Well I'm glad that I canceled my preorder and held off on this, but it's still disappointing that the game seems lackluster.

I'll probably rent it next week though to actually go through it.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Hellraizer said:
Yes IU has some Blue Draogn-ish achievements you can miss, most are rather easy, I found one to be really hard so far
rescuing the prisoners
Okay, I don't mind knowing what the achievements are before I play, I don't really care about spoilers since I don't play these kind of games for the stories, so I guess I'll grab a list online before I play it, much like I did for Vesperia (though that barely helps, other than the ridiculous secret missions).

How long is it taking people to finish the game? Is it really cut-scene heavy?

BobM said:
I just needed to chime in to say i am enjoying the hell out of this game. I think that some a being a bit harsh in thier criticisms, and if anyone is on the fence as to whter or not to give this game a try, I say give it a chance!

I agree as well. I had this game on my radar for awhile but after reviews, decided to pass. Then I was in Best buy the day it released and temptation knocked on my door. The first few hours... I thought to myself, the reviews were right, and I shouldn't have bought it.

Now fast forward to me being on the second disc and I love it. Its grown on me so much and I love some of the characters in the game. Story, while not the most in depth (at least so far where I'm at) is good and keeps me going.

My only issues with the game really are the lip synch at times, and the fact that the game really doesn't do a good job of pushing you towards your next destination (where the hell do I go now syndrome). Aside from this... I have no issues.

BobM

joesmokey said:
Well I'm glad that I canceled my preorder and held off on this, but it's still disappointing that the game seems lackluster.

I'll probably rent it next week though to actually go through it.

rent it. i bet you will be pleasently surprised. i am finding it to be alot of fun.

rockman zx said:
There is any logical explanation of the scene after the credits?.

Perhaps it's explained in a harder mode, hence being the "more complete experience".

Or maybe
he wasn't actually real and it was a daydream/fantasy/halucination of Aya. It was sunset, after all, and she'd been working really hard rebuilding the village...

ecierif

My time in the end was slightly under 17 hours. If I include parts I had to replay it would probably be slightly more than 18 hours. I think there may be about 2 hours of cutscenes. There's a fair number of brief ones and only a few long ones.

eXistor

I'm getting seriously pissed, I still didn't get the game. I bet it comes in tomorrow now that I found out that I have to work the rest of the week (I had two days off starting tomorrow...not anymore).

Kuran

Banned
How can I tell if I have my preorder bonus DLC? I entered the code sometime last week, but I don't notice anything in my inventory.. did I do something wrong?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
ecierif said:
My time in the end was slightly under 17 hours. If I include parts I had to replay it would probably be slightly more than 18 hours. I think there may be about 2 hours of cutscenes. There's a fair number of brief ones and only a few long ones.
So awesome. I must have this game now. :lol

Combine

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
For me, the game just has not grabbed me and caught my interest in a way that would make me eager to see what will come next. I don't care about the characters at all and they annoy far more than endear.

Kuran

Banned
NM my previous question, the special voucher is in my inventory.

I was really excited about this game, and I'm loving certain Tri-Acey parts of it.. but the sound production is HORRIBLE! And I'm not talking about the voice issue.

For example, when these hounds approached me in a mini cutscene.. they didn't make any walking or growling sounds.. just a canned howl after a few seconds of silent animation.
Its all pretty awkward.. whoever was in charge of the sound design/production needs to be hung out to dry. How could they ship this?

duckroll

Kuran said:
NM my previous question, the special voucher is in my inventory.

I was really excited about this game, and I'm loving certain Tri-Acey parts of it.. but the sound production is HORRIBLE! And I'm not talking about the voice issue.

For example, when these hounds approached me in a mini cutscene.. they didn't make any walking or growling sounds.. just a canned howl after a few seconds of silent animation.
Its all pretty awkward.. whoever was in charge of the sound design/production needs to be hung out to dry. How could they ship this?

This is the first tri-Ace game that does not use Tri-Crescendo in any way whatsoever for sound. That explains a lot I think.

Ricker

Bah,still liking this game and I didn't even reach the Tower yet,one nice small surprise so far that was ok also.Trying to find Gustav now from Fayel.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I think I was a bit too harsh with the game. the game is not bad like... Radiata. but it's marred by some bullshit that drag it down. I think the worst part is the beginning and the last dungeon. the last dungeon specially, is a big offender.

Sometimes you get the feeling that tri-Ace totally phoned this one in, not the amount of polish VP2 or SO3: DC had, not by a long shot.

Kuran

Banned
Error said:
I think I was a bit too harsh with the game. the game is not bad like... Radiata. but it's marred by some bullshit that drag it down. I think the worst part is the beginning and the last dungeon. the last dungeon specially, is a big offender.

Sometimes you get the feeling that tri-Ace totally phoned this one in, not the amount of polish VP2 or SO3: DC had, not by a long shot.

What the hell is your problem with Radiata.. :(

Lets save it for this thread.. but, yeah.

Oreoleo

Man I'm kinda glad this is my first Tri-Ace game after reading some of your impressions. I'm about 4 hours in and loving the hell out of it. Yeah the first hour or so was kinda slow paced but once you're out of the woods (literally!) taking Aya to get healed things pick up a little. Most of the complaints though seem kinda overblown. Maybe I just haven't played enough yet, but the battle system alone is enough to make me want to continue through the game.

Oh but yeah there could be a few more save points here and there.

And I'm kinda surprised how much I'm liking the characters. In particular Rico and Rucha. I thought they would just be annoying and creeeeepy but they're actually kind of charming and amusing. Rico's voice acting is awesome.

Edit: Meant to ask, is there a way to gain MP that doesn't involve aerial attacks or items/food? MP seems to always be in such short supply. I usually roll with my party set to "Save MP" otherwise my team mates use Battle Skills every other second and dry up all their MP in a couple minutes flat.

burgerdog

I just finished this today, it was completely worth it. As it's been sad many, many, many times in this thread, I was extremely worried during the first hour of the game, but the game was awesome throughout the entire thing after that. I'm very happy with the ending, it was lengthy and rewarding, let's hope that they make a sequel. If they learn from their mistakes then it has the potential to be a really good game.

Also, damn, I think they spent 70% of their budget in the very last area of the game, it looks wild!

Orellio said:
Edit: Meant to ask, is there a way to gain MP that doesn't involve aerial attacks or items/food? MP seems to always be in such short supply. I usually roll with my party set to "Save MP" otherwise my team mates use Battle Skills every other second and dry up all their MP in a couple minutes flat.

Aerial combo gives you extra exp, knocking them down gives you mp, by the way. Other than that, though, the only other way to get MP is to use potions. I wouldn't too much about having them save mp, as long as your healer is set to only do heals then you won't have much a problem. I always rolled with capell at ~50% mp, the other two attackers at 0%, and my healer at 100%. Oh, and this is my first tri-ace game since star ocean 2. I wasn't disappointed at all, now I want more rpgs with this battle system.

I3rand0

Nemesis556 said:
Apparently it's terrible, as it's the first time Tri-Crescendo hasn't done music for a tri-Ace game, and it shows.

To be honest, I'm pretty indifferent about the music, but I would never buy it.

wat? It's Motoi dude.

Llyranor

I just finished the woods section and just arrived at the
dragon
dodging scene. Is this the dreaded beginning people were all talking about? That's it? It was fine for me. I might end up really liking the game, then.

batbeg

Nemesis556 said:
Apparently it's terrible, as it's the first time Tri-Crescendo hasn't done music for a tri-Ace game, and it shows.

:lol The sound design is awful, the music is fucking excellent.

I just started playing it last night. As soon as the first battle sequence started, my reaction was "Uh oh." I'm two hours into it and still, my reaction is "Uh oh." My genre of choice is RPG, and if you're like me, you are fully aware of the myriad problems with this title. The camera angle issue is more than just a small problem, and the fact that the lock-on system doesn't work half of the time (e.g., wasps in forest) makes me wonder why they even bothered with it in the first place.

Thank God you can play through this in about 20 hours or I'd be putting this one on the shelf.

I want to like this game. I was hoping for an epic, call-in-sick-from-work-to-play title, but I was more than happy to get up this morning and head into the office. Please tell me it gets better.

Ricker

Llyranor said:
I just finished the woods section and just arrived at the
dragon
dodging scene. Is this the dreaded beginning people were all talking about? That's it? It was fine for me. I might end up really liking the game, then.

Yep,if you kinda liked it so far,the best is coming,especially,Luce Plains,you will probably try and explore the whole damn map here,I Love that section of the game.

So last evening I went on a trek to find Gustav again and didn't find him,I checked GameFaq's but the only walkthrough there so far stops just before this section of the game so(tagging just in case)

Where the hell is he? I thought this morning i need one of the 2 Beastmaster kids to actually talk to one of the many Bears in the Dunes? or did i just miss a spot in the whole dunes map

Nemesis_

I remember that part. It was stupid.

Basically, take the blue kid with you around the town, and talk to the cats. After that, talk to the maid lady, and she'll trigger a cutscene. After that, leave to the Dunes, and just turn to the right. You'll have a boss battle and then Gustav will join your party.

Frillen

Nemesis556 said:
I remember that part. It was stupid.

Basically, take the blue kid with you around the town, and talk to the cats. After that, talk to the maid lady, and she'll trigger a cutscene. After that, leave to the Dunes, and just turn to the right. You'll have a boss battle and then Gustav will join your party.

Well, it's not really a boss, just a slightly more difficult enemy. But you'll meet more of them just a few minutes later.

Nemesis_

Frillen said:
Well, it's not really a boss, just a slightly more difficult enemy. But you'll meet more of them just a few minutes later.
Close enough >_>

I'm at beginning of Disc 2. I pretty much slept through the Tower, I did it all but I didn't take ANY of it in, as I was playing it at 4AM. I remember playing the boss battle though. :lol :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just want to say that I played a little before bed (and by a little I mean 30 minutes stretched into 45 looking for a save point). I ended up having these weird wake-up "dreams" where I'd get up and go, "I can stop at the next save point, I can stop at the next save point!"

I went to bed at 1 and kept getting up until 4 doing that. It was so weird. It felt like I was still playing it even at 3.

Android18a said:
The teleporter to the Timberlands now also goes to there, if you're at the right bit. The east exit of Kolton.

This isn't a dog to anyone that had problems on this part (figuring out how to get to cassandra) but how did anyone not see the cutscene where it tells them to take the teleport and shows the teleport and put the two together?

Maybe others just figured it was a different teleport? I just had seen the entire map on that town and knew there wasn't another one so I went back to the one that took me to the Timberlands (which so far is my least favorite place considering how much back tracking you do through that area)

I'm at Cassandra now and just fought the
Skeleton Mage
boss. Stopped at that save point and yep... Still loving it. That battle was long though.

burgerdog

Nemesis556 said:

The music is one of the best things about this game...

duckroll

Nemesis556 said:

Erm what? The music is always by Sakuraba, and he composed IU too. Tri-Crescendo handles sound programming, sound direction, sound design, etc. :p

Error

I got into the SG just to try it, and I got destroyed by the second group of enemies. :(

burgerdog

Error said:
I got into the SG just to try it, and I got destroyed by the second group of enemies. :(

I finished the game at lv60 and went into SG at that level and I came out of there lv70 after 30 minutes, it's fucking insane for leveling. The blue lizards drop Crescent Sword a lot and you can sell that for 29,000. I have like 1.5 million fol now. I'm thinking I'm going to like SG a lot more than the rest of the game even though you guys seem to hate it. The real fun has started now that the whole game is all gameplay and no story / cutscenes to bog it down. Not that I didn't like the story/cs, mind you. I simply love the battle system that much.

Oreoleo

burgerdog said:
Aerial combo gives you extra exp, knocking them down gives you mp, by the way. Other than that, though, the only other way to get MP is to use potions. I wouldn't too much about having them save mp, as long as your healer is set to only do heals then you won't have much a problem. I always rolled with capell at ~50% mp, the other two attackers at 0%, and my healer at 100%. Oh, and this is my first tri-ace game since star ocean 2. I wasn't disappointed at all, now I want more rpgs with this battle system.

Oh shit, thanks man. They explain to you in-game which situations give you Exp/AP/MP but that info is nowhere to be found in the manual afaik. I haven't picked a dedicated healer yet, that would probably be a good idea. I'm thinking Rucha.

GameGamer

I liked this game but I had to give up on it.

The save points were too much trouble.

I would just play to get to a save point and then stop playing.

I could not enjoy it.

So save points = - 1 sale : (

Let me save when I want please.

GameGamer said:
I liked this game but I had to give up on it.

The save points were too much trouble.

I would just play to get to a save point and then stop playing.

I could not enjoy it.

So save points = - 1 sale : (

Let me save when I want please.

I can understand that frustration but don't most rpgs have set save points. Granted we could have gotten something equivalent to a tent in other rpgs or something.

Error

Orellio said:
Oh shit, thanks man. They explain to you in-game which situations give you Exp/AP/MP but that info is nowhere to be found in the manual afaik. I haven't picked a dedicated healer yet, that would probably be a good idea. I'm thinking Rucha.
Honestly Eugene is the best dedicated healer, his HP is pretty high for a magic based character and he has great healing spells. Plus he gets Astro, which at level 2 becomes ridiculous.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I need a rip of the title track music. The piano is absolutely beautiful and I can't wait a month to have that track.

Top Bottom