• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
yeah doing a long Aerial combo is super easy, thanks to the AI on combo setting.

the AI surrounds the enemy and waits for you to launch it to the air, with the correct battle skills you can keep it going till you run out of MP.

Error said:
yeah doing a long Aerial combo is super easy, thanks to the AI on combo setting.

the AI surrounds the enemy and waits for you to launch it to the air, with the correct battle skills you can keep it going till you run out of MP.
Nobody was using MP at all except for when I tried to break the string after 10 minutes of juggling, which I finally managed to do after 5 tries. Everybody was just perfectly positioned and still picked up the slack even without me doing anything at all.

A shame the meter doesn't go higher. I seriously would have had around 5000 hits after everything was said and done.

burgerdog

Egg Shen said:
That's one thing I neglected, my forging skills. I can't even forge that, but I do have amarlista and atlantis metal...but not in any large quantity. I think I found one chunk of atlantis metal in the Underwater Palace, and that was it, IIRC, and it was from a chest. I don't even know if a mob actually drops the stuff.

I got it made! The Order enemies that you fight in the Gabriel Celeste area drop Amarlista. It's impossible to run out of mp with this sword, it's great. If you need Atlantis go to the forest area, at the very end of that area there's 3 ogres, surprise attack them and hopefully you get lucky. All you have to do is take the portal back and forth and farm them. Assuming you have 2 wisdom accessories on your characters, you'll get around 35k exp as well. So it's great to level and farm at the same time.

All my characters are Lv6 IC except for Aya and Rucha, the game took me 26 hours to beat because I spent a ton of time crafting.

Error

Doing the clay sidequest in Nolaan gives you a hearthstone. you don't get one till Halgita in disc 2, btw.

Blackjack

Just started this up after taking a break from ToV (Secret Mission 17 was driving me mad :lol ). That "avoid the dragon's fire" bit was pretty awful. "Hey, run away from the huge explosions. Oh, but just so you know, if you get hit by one of them, it'll take you about ten seconds to get up and by then the dragon will be sending another one directly at you. HAVE FUN!"

After beating the game I just found out that pressing Y while in the inventory screen will automatically equip the selected character with the best equipment you have. I wish I knew this at the beginning of the game. Would have made character management so much less time consuming... =\

BudokaiMR2 said:
I'm really confused by this. Are the people complaining about sound design running a 5.1 system?

IMO this game has some of the best 5.1 implementation I have heard in an RPG in a long time. Valkyria was the only other one in recent memory. I have found several of those secret walls by hearing the humming sound and following the direction. Most RPGs(Vesperia for example) havem't moved past running water as their sole environment effect.

I'm seriously curious about where these sound design comments are coming from. Can any of the people who have a problem elaborate? I found myself impressed that during cutscenes they would actually have a footstep cue through the rear speakers before a character stepped onto the scene. Maybe I am just noticing it more because of the horrid sound design in Vesperia. The BGM doesn't even channel through the rear speakers ffs :(

navi001

Neo Member
BudokaiMR2 said:
I'm seriously curious about where these sound design comments are coming from. Can any of the people who have a problem elaborate? I found myself impressed that during cutscenes they would actually have a footstep cue through the rear speakers before a character stepped onto the scene. Maybe I am just noticing it more because of the horrid sound design in Vesperia. The BGM doesn't even channel through the rear speakers ffs :(

Did you go to config and change it to surround?
TOV default sound output is set to stereo when i check even when my 360 is set to 5.1
I had to tell it to output surround ,which is the only game I know that does not follow the console settings.

Error

wait wtf?

apparently *bonus dungeon spoilers*

Gabriel Celeste=
Leif
Ethereal Queen=
Feina

wow just wow, that's so retarded. this is like... the laziest bonus dungeon tri-Ace has ever done.

They didn't even bother to give them a next-gen makeover. I really hope they deliver with SO4, because this game reeks of "we didn't care, and we rush this one out" this like SMT NINE all over again.

Error

DO NOT BUY THIS, AND WAIT FOR SO4. As it actually looks like a next-gen tri-Ace game should.

Seriously, do not support lazy efforts like this.

Aaron

Error said:
DO NOT BUY THIS, AND WAIT FOR SO4. As it actually looks like a next-gen tri-Ace game should.

Seriously, do not support lazy efforts like this.
Geez, what a flip flopper. Senator Kerry, is that you? :D

Too late for me, my copy is already in the mail and should be arriving tomorrow. Can always sale / trade if it doesn't work out.

Error

Well I expressed my disappointed regarding the re-use content in the bonus dungeon and throughout the game, really. but not giving GC and EQ next-gen makeovers is just lameeeeeeeee, as I was actually looking forward to how they were going to look. every tri-Ace gave both of them a new design, but in this one they decide to re-use some models in the game and give them the GC and EQ names. I mean, come on... I love tri-Ace and all, but I can't believe the got so goddamn lazy!

Maybe what icecream said is true, and they rush it because SE needed a game to start creating a fanbase for their other games on the 360. obviously IU was pretty low in their list, since they don't own and they didn't fund the project, so they decided that was the first one to be released. Regardless of what happened, the fact is that this is a very uneven and lazy effort. Usually tri-Ace game are filled to the brim with stuff to do, but this one beyond the bonus dungeon... there isn't much to do, and even then, that isn't even a big incentive since the bonus dungeon is all made up of stuff you have seen/experienced.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
It has to be said:

The greatest battle system in a RPG ever.

When it's you and another party (or two) roaming around a dungeon/field beating the ever loving crap out of anything that looks at you cockeyed, all the game's faults melt away.

duckroll

I dunno about IU being "rushed". Considering how it was announced in 2006, if a two year buffer after announcing the game isn't enough to release a polished product, than it's rather disappointing. ToV was announced 9 months ago, and it doesn't show any signs of being rushed or compromised. I'll find out for myself what the game is like tomorrow. Can't wait. :D

Egg Shen

burgerdog said:
I got it made! The Order enemies that you fight in the Gabriel Celeste area drop Amarlista. It's impossible to run out of mp with this sword, it's great. If you need Atlantis go to the forest area, at the very end of that area there's 3 ogres, surprise attack them and hopefully you get lucky. All you have to do is take the portal back and forth and farm them. Assuming you have 2 wisdom accessories on your characters, you'll get around 35k exp as well. So it's great to level and farm at the same time.

All my characters are Lv6 IC except for Aya and Rucha, the game took me 26 hours to beat because I spent a ton of time crafting.
Wow, that's going to take me awhile. I'm having Edward forge as much as he can right now, but I think I'll be taking a break to finish Vesperia. I'll be back for more IU fun, though. There's just something...compelling...about the crafting system and the combat, but congrats on getting that sword! Woot! Sounds like it's going to be a lifesaver with the Ethereal Queen when you get to her.

Error said:
wait wtf?

apparently *bonus dungeon spoilers*

Gabriel Celeste=
Leif
Ethereal Queen=
Feina

wow just wow, that's so retarded. this is like... the laziest bonus dungeon tri-Ace has ever done.

They didn't even bother to give them a next-gen makeover. I really hope they deliver with SO4, because this game reeks of "we didn't care, and we rush this one out" this like SMT NINE all over again.
Asset-wise, I agree with what you're saying. Challenge-wise, these are definitely the tri-Ace bosses that I would have expected from the main campaign (but not quite that ball breakingly hard). I didn't catch the similarities until later on, though, but it answers how they seemed familiar.

navi001 said:
Did you go to config and change it to surround?
TOV default sound output is set to stereo when i check even when my 360 is set to 5.1
I had to tell it to output surround ,which is the only game I know that does not follow the console settings.

Yea I always check that because I have run into that problem several times on the 360. Even Ninja Gaiden 2 was set default to stereo. If you seriously want to tell me that vesperia has better sound design and 5.1 implementation then I am calling bullshit. I love the game outside of its sound design, which I feel that IU is excelling in.

navi001

Neo Member
BudokaiMR2 said:
Yea I always check that because I have run into that problem several times on the 360. Even Ninja Gaiden 2 was set default to stereo. If you seriously want to tell me that vesperia has better sound design and 5.1 implementation then I am calling bullshit. I love the game outside of its sound design, which I feel that IU is excelling in.

naaa, I was just talking about the BGM through the rear speakers.
I don't even like the music in TOV,but still a good game.

Ahhhhhh how can something I prebooked 3 weeks before it comes out get backorder on me ><.Maybe it got sucked up into 4D space.

Error

donkey show said:
LOL, love how Capell
released his tension and became a changed man the next day. Good job Aya.
his ATK drops by 50%, too, for a couple of minutes. I wonder why!? Must have been quite a work out
:lol

Ricker

Loving Vesplume Tower although I got killed a few times in there already...my party is around level 20 only though...reached the top but couldn't figure out how to approach that Boss fight on my first try.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
That fucking Timberland forest. I've been going around in circles for hours!

I'll check Gamefaqs for some tips because I'm totally lost.

I'm at level 57, btw.

Witchfinder General said:

I'm at level 57, btw.

in case you didn't find help here's a map.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2qkrp5k.jpg

i really don't know what to think of this game. i enjoy the combat, but the many flaws such as not being able to play as anyone other then capell, the lack of an info page, some truly terrible VA, annoying brats ect. make this one hard to recommend.

mjc

Just so everyone knows, I've got an extra copy of Tales of Vesperia. It's opened, but otherwise in pristine condition. I'm looking to straight up trade it for a copy of Infinite Undiscovery, so if you beat it and/or you can't finish it and you want to get rid of it keep me in mind.

Still standing.

j_hiro

Witchfinder General said:

I'm at level 57, btw.

At each of the 4 way intersections look on the ground the right way has some bubbles coming up out of the ground.

At least that worked for me. And I played it on normal if that makes a difference.

Neil

AGH!
I just cannot get the achievement for rescuing those damn prisoners. I can only ever get 2, and then whenever I get a key, I run to the cell and I see the guard killing the prisoner :(
Any tips?

So I continued with a different save slot, and I'm about to make my way to Vesplume Tower. GAF has got me really excited for this, it better not disappoint!

And can I just say how much I am LOVING this game.
I've actually clocked up about 15 hours so far, but I felt like I had to grind to get enough money so I could purchase one of those thingies for all my characters so they could level up at 100% rate. And then I kept going back and forth between the plains doing different subquests. I never could get the Giot fur for the man in Burgass castle though :\

duckroll

johnsmith said:
You're gonna be so disappointed.

Played for about 15 mins. Seems pretty great. It even has speaker positioning and sound testing for 5.1 calibration. Will play more later after dinner. I think the only people that will be disappointed are the ones expecting my disappointment! :lol

batbeg

duckroll said:
Played for about 15 mins. Seems pretty great. It even has speaker positioning and sound testing for 5.1 calibration. Will play more later after dinner. I think the only people that will be disappointed are the ones expecting my disappointment! :lol

I loved the first 15 or 20 minutes, but the entire section from that until the first town was pretty terrible to me :lol After that, I honestly haven't been able to understand most of the bitching... this game is awesome with some stupid design choices thrown in every now and then (fuck you Timberlands!).

Blackjack

Oh, man, this game gives me multiple personalities or something. I'll sit there and watch a cutscene and just be going "oh god this is so stupid, I hate every single one of these characters, why is every female character 'strong but secretly in love' that is so annoying, I hate that, I hate this."

And then someone will say "Let's go." And I go "YES!" and run around on the field for three hours killing shit.

BobM

batbeg said:
I loved the first 15 or 20 minutes, but the entire section from that until the first town was pretty terrible to me :lol After that, I honestly haven't been able to understand most of the bitching... this game is awesome with some stupid design choices thrown in every now and then (fuck you Timberlands!).

HERE HERE! I am having so much fun with this game!

Nemesis_

Just got the medicine and learnt about the true nature of Luna Glyphs.

Timbalands or whatever is the worst level in a game I've ever played. EVER

duckroll

Clocked about 3+ hours now. The game's really interesting. Although it does feel like the game concept was a tad over ambitious to be executed the way it was intended. The seamless nature of the game is interesting, especially how even in towns doors actually open to lead into houses and everything is to scale. At the same time it results in a TON of invisible walls that block off a lot of places that are modeled but not part of the game map. The barriers are a little weird especially with the insane draw distance.

I like the combat a lot, once you get the combos and planning down, it definitely feels like a tri-Ace battle except it's seamless anywhere and everywhere. The engine seems pretty solid too, aside from some really odd lighting choices. The mix of using both dynamic lighting and static lighting in different places really feels half-assed at times, especially inside caves and in the castle.

The Situation Battles are pretty fun, and definitely an interesting take on the action rpg formula. If you're going to make everything realtime you might as well make interesting scenarios for the battles to take place in, and the game does just that. I find the AI pretty solid so far, they haven't been doing anything dumb or against my plan. The one time Aya actually died inside the castle was when I cornered everyone into a dead end and then accidentally whacked a barrel. Bakapel indeed. :lol

The sound and music is pretty damn good imo. While the soundtrack isn't exactly Sakuraba's best from what I've heard so far, I really like the sound quality in the game. Everything feels "right" and the mix is great. The music fits the exciting realtime nature of the game well, and definitely takes center stage when it needs to create the mood for scenes.

The script's pretty funny so far, although I have to say, I don't like a single one of the characters so far. Capel is pretty.... retarded, Aya is pushy, Sigmund is one-directional, everyone else following Sigmund is a drone or/and an asshole, and the kids are..... JRPG kids. Lolz. It almost feels like all the characters are intentionally unlikeable just so they can be made fun of in the script. Weird.

Next stop.... I think we're headed to a desert!

mileS

nice impressions duck! Look forward to reading what you think once you're further into the game.

I'm probably going to check this out after I beat Tales of Vesperia.

Neil

Just completed Disk One, I know where to go now, but I have no idea where it is. (Don't tell me, I will work this out one way or another!)

Shame about
Sigmund, but I could see it coming a mile off. Pissed off I didn't make good use of his IC skills while I had them *sigh*

Ricker

What the hell am i suppose to do or go in the Bithan Mines,just reached a few dead ends,and running in circle in there...I defeat everyone pretty easily but all of a sudden some groups kill me really fast,i have no clue why.Two of my guys survived but Capell was dead and i got that stupid slow fading screen...I had about 10 Miraculous Medecine,why didn't they revive me?? and this is the first spot where there is a long stretch with no saves from Fayel...why didn't they put one just inside the mine?

Blackjack

"Save the Refugees"

...You know, I don't really wanna if they're gonna scream "HELP" ALL OF THE TIME NON STOP UNTIL I HEAR IT EVEN WHEN I TURN OFF THE GAME.

Top Bottom