• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

johnsmith

remember me
This game beats Fable easily in the "over promising, under delivering" department. All the promises about being able to change the world through your actions, and how you handle events actually affecting the world are just bullshit, and even just there being different solutions to problems is complete bullshit.

This is a generic, linear, RPG, the same kind we've seen since DQ1. Even Chrono Trigger let you change the world more than this game through it's multiple endings. This game only has 1 ending, right?

Ricker

tehbear said:
It's the leaders, they hit hard. There's one door I can't get into, but it's just a shortcut path and a place to get some crap early, nothing critical.

I know that now but i'm back in the mines again and there is no exit that i see again? what am i suppose to do in there to get out...is it some mine cart pushing or something? I need to get to Port Zala...is that the way through? do i have to go through those mines? the game is on pause now because i'm sick of fighting in there and going in circles,eventually i die and it's 1 hour for nothing.

johnsmith

remember me
The mines do get you to Port Zala, but it's optional. You can reach it through the desert too.

Anyway, there's a handle that you pull, and it causes the goblins to open a door that you can run through. If you stop and fight the goblins that come out they'll shut the door again, so just rush through the open door and ignore the monsters.

Ricker

johnsmith said:
The mines do get you to Port Zala, but it's optional. You can reach it through the desert too.

Anyway, there's a handle that you pull, and it causes the goblins to open a door that you can run through. If you stop and fight the goblins that come out they'll shut the door again, so just rush through the open door and ignore the monsters.

Ah ok thanks,just got that finally and made it to the Port.I like the game but i agree with you on the whole changing stuff that was talked about,and that was suppose to explain the title of the game for instance not really living up to what was said back then.

Lebron

god,
I hope I get to kill Edward or he dies(I don't care how).
He's annoying the hell out of me. Like Seriously.

Synless

So now that this has been out for a little bit, what do you think GAF? Is it a pretty good game, my fundage is low due to the big hitters I have to buy this year and this one and vesperia are teetering on not being bought.

Blackjack

Synless said:
So now that this has been out for a little bit, what do you think GAF? Is it a pretty good game, my fundage is low due to the big hitters I have to buy this year and this one and vesperia are teetering on not being bought.
It's not HORRIBLE. But if you had to choose between the two, go for Vesperia.

johnsmith said:
This game beats Fable easily in the "over promising, under delivering" department. All the promises about being able to change the world through your actions, and how you handle events actually affecting the world are just bullshit, and even just there being different solutions to problems is complete bullshit.

This is a generic, linear, RPG, the same kind we've seen since DQ1. Even Chrono Trigger let you change the world more than this game through it's multiple endings. This game only has 1 ending, right?

Honestly you people who believe that ridiculous vague hype bullshit are just as at fault. It's really not that hard to see through it nowadays. I went in with absolutely no expectations and I am enjoying it quite a bit.

Synless said:

It's a good game with a few high points and a few low points, nothing spectacular but it's definitely not bad. Fun combat engine and graphics that flip flop from great to shit depending on where you are. The story is pretty interesting, but the script is abysmal. Pretty short for an RPG too (I finished the story in 17 hours). Granted I havent started hard mode or done the bonus dungeon yet, so my opinion might change once I get around to that.

Vesperia on the other hand I thought was excellent.

takotchi

I finally finished the game. The ending was not that bad... that is, until the part after the credits. Why did they have to add that crap? It makes no sense whatsoever and it kind of diminishes the stuff before the credits, in my opinion. Oh, and
you just knew they'd end up going to the moon at the end, but as for how they got there... DAMN, that must have been a hell of a "walk". Whoever wrote that really wasn't thinking.

j_hiro

Synless said:

I went into the game expecting at least Persona3 level of goodness, so the expectations were very high. It certainly is a disappointment against what I thought it would be but at the same time I had a great time playing it and felt it was well worth my 59.99+tax. I've yet to finish ToV and it is definitely a better polished and complete game, with tried and true formulas for a fun RPG Tales style. Despite that though I still had more fun blasting through enemies in IU, especially in Seraphic Gate. If I had to recommend one I would have to go with IU. It was just more fun, which is an opinion I'm sure will be in the minority here from the looks of it. :lol

tehbear

Lebron said:
god,

Him and his mancrush... you still need him to IC shit though :(

wtf no way.
Edward
rules.
He
gets this insane attack that does like 30k or so and enemies can't interrupt it. It also does insane splash damage that'll wipe out crowds like whoa.

Egg Shen

Lebron said:
god,

PepsimanVsJoe said:
wtf no way.
Edward
rules.
He
gets this insane attack that does like 30k or so and enemies can't interrupt it. It also does insane splash damage that'll wipe out crowds like whoa.
So true, even though he can also be a pretty whiny bastard. Fortunately, he gets better later on, not only skill-wise, but I thought that his story thread turned out to be a lot stronger than Capell's in the end. Capell does have the Dinner Dance, though.

Synless said:
Vesperia has a charming story, lengthy quest, and a deep gameplay system. On the other hand, if you want a relatively short RPG with a ridiculously sweet real-time combat engine and nothing else, you might like IU. Both have their flaws and stomping foes in IU never really gets old, but I thought Vesperia was a lot more fun.

BobM

Y2Kev said:
Oh wow, I did it I did it I did itttt

congrats! i was hoping you would. I had alot of fun in Vesplume Tower, enen with the extra 45 mins of grinding i had to do in the tower so that i could beat the mini-boss.

Has anyone else noticed this game seems to encourage you to purchase WAY more health potions ko potions ect.. then is typically normal for other jrpgs?

Everytime i get to a shop i spend all of my money on the stuff, and am now keeping around 80-100 of each of the essentials on me at all time. I am only just starting the second disc and barely did any grinding at all.

Lebron

Egg Shen said:
So true, even though he can also be a pretty whiny bastard. Fortunately, he gets better later on, not only skill-wise, but I thought that his story thread turned out to be a lot stronger than Capell's in the end. Capell does have the Dinner Dance, though.
I'm not denying his skills, like Pepsi pointed out, he has that one insane move. Granted I don't really use him in my parties much. I just can't stand his VA, nor character(up to this point). I'm at the bastard Timberlands part, so maybe he gets tolerable later on.

on another note, I want to fly to Japan, head to tri-Ace HQ, find who came up with the concept of the Timberlands, punch them in the face, find out who green lighted it, and then punch them in the face. Yup, that's pretty much it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BobM said:
congrats! i was hoping you would. I had alot of fun in Vesplume Tower, enen with the extra 45 mins of grinding i had to do in the tower so that i could beat the mini-boss.

Has anyone else noticed this game seems to encourage you to purchase WAY more health potions ko potions ect.. then is typically normal for other jrpgs?

Everytime i get to a shop i spend all of my money on the stuff, and am now keeping around 80-100 of each of the essentials on me at all time. I am only just starting the second disc and barely did any grinding at all.
It takes too long to get off healing spells. Plus, the animation/charge time gets interrupted...and for some reason sometimes Eugene tells me he can't heal me when he has plenty of MP.

Lebron

ok after
I kicked Edwards ass with Aya and the annoying Twins
he's definitely become more tolerable than before.

Blackjack

You know, the whole 'secondary characters' concept bugs the hell out of me. Especially when it doesn't even make a lick of sense. I mean, okay, I can kind of understand Savio not wanting to be in Capell's party
what with that whole 'vision of Capell killing Aristas vision
. But Dominique? Really? Even after she was all "I WILL PROTECT CAPELL!"?

Y2Kev said:
It takes too long to get off healing spells. Plus, the animation/charge time gets interrupted...and for some reason sometimes Eugene tells me he can't heal me when he has plenty of MP.

It depends on how you have the AI set. If you have it on 'Save MP', the characters usually won't be using big healing spells even if you asked for them. If you want to revive a fallen teammate, you have to switch back to free for an instant to make sure they know to revive the teammate.

batbeg

I've only begun using Michelle as a white mage now that I'm in the Seraphic Gate, but she does seem kind of... useless :-\ She doesn't heal anyone unless I tap the heal button a few times, and even then, can't get them out in the midst of battle :( It annoys me how little MP she constantly uses when she has over 2000 :mad:

dinnerdinnerdinnerDINNER.gif

:lol What the hell...

Ricker

Frillen said:
Where's the best place to grind before I enter the Underwater Temple?

Well right now for me it's the Timberlands because i am lost hehe..the area with the falling rocks is a good place,if you avoid said rocks(annoying as hell hehe).

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Finished the game.

Thoughts...

The Good:

* Amazing battle system - Having an open, seamless world with not only an extremely fun and robust battle system but to at times have two other parties joining in? Oh, yeah, this is king.

*Dungeons - The multi-party ones are ones you'll never want to end.

*Enjoyable story - Despite the games rather short length I found the overall story to be well thought out and satisfying. The anti-establishment and anti-class system theme was handled quite well and I think stood out for it's maturity.

*Interesting and engaging characters - The character arc of Capell I found wholly enjoyable and compelling. What really sealed the deal was
after Capell becoming furious over the treatment of the Unblessed his requests for help and his battle cries became clipped, authoritarian and filled with rage.
For a game with so many characters, having them all being ones you want in your party makes grinding really fun.

*Decent voice acting - OK, it certainly had it's ups and downs but for a dub I found the cast of characters at least kept my interest.

*Graphics - It's one thing to have a world filled with intricate, detailed textures, gorgeous lighting and high quality character and enemy models, but to have all that and the aforementioned battle system, A.I., seamless world and minimal loading? Other games may look better but no game overall - aside from Uncharted - has impressed me as much. Bring on Star Ocean 4.

*Satisfying final boss battle - Amazing.

*Soundtrack - Lovely. I have to get the soundtrack.

Bad:

*Short game - Whilst I enjoyed the game you could really tell that they were working with a limited budget and had to cut a lot out.

*Frustrating first couple of hours - The opening was horrowing enough but to expect to be well seasoned in the game's mechanics from the off-set? A bit more hand-holding next time.

*Paucity of save points - Speaks for itself

*A way to view info on the side quests you're currently undertaking - too ofetn it's easy to not only forget which side quest is for whom, but what exactly it entails and how much of it you have don

*No beastiary - Needs to be in every game

*Limited enemy variety - not as bad as Eternal Sonata but far too much palette swapping for my liking

*More bosses - not only that, but more variety. Too many human characters.

*More dungeons - Specifically, more multi-party dungeons.

*Lack of visual representation of equipment - When I'm browsing weapons, armour, etc, at least let me see what it looks like before I buy it.

*Lack of direction of what to do next - Too often you'll run around trying to work out what's next

Overall, despite it's flaws I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I'm currently doing the bonus dungeon.

A must buy for JRPG fans.

Egg Shen

Lebron said:
I'm not denying his skills, like Pepsi pointed out, he has that one insane move. Granted I don't really use him in my parties much. I just can't stand his VA, nor character(up to this point). I'm at the bastard Timberlands part, so maybe he gets tolerable later on.

on another note, I want to fly to Japan, head to tri-Ace HQ, find who came up with the concept of the Timberlands, punch them in the face, find out who green lighted it, and then punch them in the face. Yup, that's pretty much it.
I'll join you. I hated the Timberlands, the whole structure of that area must have been designed to simply be annoying. If not teleporting mist, it was the moon rain that suddenly becomes toxic only after you visit who you are supposed to be out there to find. The suppressants didn't seem to do anything, and the flute was pretty useless in 'calming them' because I likely didn't have the right tune in my repertoire. At one point, I just had the party kill itself off and ran Capell to Halgita or Kolter so I wouldn't have to deal with it.

Shirokun

Gah! I've been playing through this game a bit now. I just beat the second boss -
the one after the castle siege
. I'm enjoying this game just fine, but something awful has happened.

I don't know if I'm just missing something, but Capell has been stuck at level 4 for at least two hours, while everyone else continues to gain exp as normal.

Edit: I don't know how I missed the Monk's Soul - 0 EXP thing. :lol

Anyway, the game isn't entirely what I expected but it's been fun thus far, so I'll keep going based on the fairly positive impressions in this thread.

Lebron

ok this Lunar Rain Super Sayian Berserker BS is starting to piss me off. That medicine doesn't do jack crap, except bring them back to the last state before they completely lose it again....just marvelous! Not only that, but I have no idea where to get the music that is supposed to cancel that crap out, Mare Lunaris or something like that. Grrrr...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Honestly when you see
Lunar Rain
it's best to run until you find a 'safe spot'.

Oh and the item doesn't actually 'cure' it, the item just suppresses a bit of it.

Aaron

batbeg said:
I've only begun using Michelle as a white mage now that I'm in the Seraphic Gate, but she does seem kind of... useless :-\ She doesn't heal anyone unless I tap the heal button a few times, and even then, can't get them out in the midst of battle :( It annoys me how little MP she constantly uses when she has over 2000 :mad:
Strange. I use her as the primary healer and she does a great job keeping my team alive, as long as I make sure to keep the enemies off her. Rarely have to call for healing, and have no idea who I'd use in her place, since everyone else seems terrible at the job. Of course, you can't let her get attacked, or she'll never be able to finish casting any spells.

Error

Michelle's trait is Coward, so she like staying away from confrontation. Perfect for a healer.

the more I play this the more I dislike the IC. it's too fucking restrictive. You don't have the materials necessary for creating stuff? tough shit! At least SO3 let you experiment once you had some money. you cannot experiment here, getting the drops is also fuck annoying. since the IC is all about drops, the game should've some sort of bestiary which would get updated once you picked up drops from enemies. that way you would know what stuff enemies drop. Also buying materials is another PITA, there's not quick transportation and most shops sell shitty materials. Only Feina sells good stuff, and she loves to 'upgrade', taking out the old stuff she used to sell. Lame.

Also I dislike how cumbersome it is to create items while in towns. connecting in towns is such a fucking hassle, it's just better to put the people you want to create items with, and exit town so you don't have to look for them one-by-one in towns.

People talk shit about SO3's IC, but it at least let you experiment a lot and it was way more in-depth than here (thanks to the whole refining items, thing). Also it was easier to create shit, since you didn't have to run around town like a headless chicken looking for your teammates to use the IC. In SO3 you just head to the town's workshop and start creating your stuff.

Aaron

Yeah, the IC is a complete mess is about every way. I buy what I can, and make what I have to, and even then it's a hassle. Probably a good thing equipment isn't super important in the game, at least playing on normal.

Lebron

Error said:
Michelle's trait is Coward, so she like staying away from confrontation. Perfect for a healer.

the more I play this the more I dislike the IC. it's too fucking restrictive. You don't have the materials necessary for creating stuff? tough shit! At least SO3 let you experiment once you had some money. you cannot experiment here, getting the drops is also fuck annoying. since the IC is all about drops, the game should've some sort of bestiary which would get updated once you picked up drops from enemies. that way you would know what stuff enemies drop. Also buying materials is another PITA, there's not quick transportation and most shops sell shitty materials. Only Feina sells good stuff, and she loves to 'upgrade', taking out the old stuff she used to sell. Lame.

Also I dislike how cumbersome it is to create items while in towns. connecting in towns is such a fucking hassle, it's just better to put the people you want to create items with, and exit town so you don't have to look for them one-by-one in towns.

People talk shit about SO3's IC, but it at least let you experiment a lot and it was way more in-depth than here (thanks to the whole refining items, thing). Also it was easier to create shit, since you didn't have to run around town like a headless chicken looking for your teammates to use the IC. In SO3 you just head to the town's workshop and start creating your stuff.

This stuff right here is the truth. It all really is a pain in the ass.

Oh and the item doesn't actually 'cure' it, the item just suppresses a bit of it.
Yeah I know, it's still stupid and useless nonetheless. I just need that music piece so I can just play that sucker to calm them down. I still don't understand how Capelle can't write his own music, isn't he like a musician? No, instead I have to let some 8 year old on speed write my own music(I don't bother with the other guy since I can never find his ass). He can write scores of music, but me, the guy with the freaking flute, can't write my own name. So awesome.

Error

hahaha

Honestly the way I see it, any tri-Ace game NOT designed by Norimoto has a 90% chance of sucking (Radiata Stories and Infinite Undiscovery are the tri-Ace games not designed by him. Not sure on Blue Sphere, but I haven't played that anyway). I wonder if VP DS will break that curse, since I don't think Masaki Norimoto is involved with that one.

I HOPE he is the game designer for SO4, because if not=bail out.

Aaron

Lebron said:
Yeah I know, it's still stupid and useless nonetheless. I just need that music piece so I can just play that sucker to calm them down. I still don't understand how Capelle can't write his own music, isn't he like a musician? No, instead I have to let some 8 year old on speed write my own music(I don't bother with the other guy since I can never find his ass). He can write scores of music, but me, the guy with the freaking flute, can't write my own name. So awesome.
No, this make sense, since if he wrote his own tunes, none of them would be magic. That's why you need to find special components to get them re-written in a way Capel can understand them. Savio isn't too hard to find either. He's usually in the inn or relatively nearby.

Error

The problem is finding Musician's Quills to MAKE tunes. I don't think Michelle creates them. And the only shop that sells those, is a shop in Halgita.

Aaron

Error said:
The problem is finding Musician's Quills to MAKE tunes. I don't think Michelle creates them. And the only shop that sells those, is a shop in Halgita.
Someone can IC them easily (uses pretty common materials). I think it was either Vic or Eugene, but I've never had trouble getting them.

Top Bottom