• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

funkmastergeneral said:
I've only played for an hour and I'm already regretting get this game from Gamefly. The combat is ok I guess, but it just seems like I stand next to the enemy and press A and X. Also some of the production qualities are lackluster, like how people go from speaking to talking with subtitles (which I can barely see...) Probably going to send it back soon and pray for ToV or Force Unleashed

WinFonda said:
My initial impressions, after about 40 minutes of play: this is a barebones RPG. It's like they did only what they absolutely had to and shipped it out the door. So far I don't know what I can say that's totally positive. I'm also finding the controls to be a bitch, which is weird since I don't think I've ever had that problem with controls in an RPG before.

Is the start of the game truly this bad or are these just typical GAF responses? I can't imagine judging an RPG in 40 minutes.

Aaron

gregor7777 said:
Is the start of the game truly this bad or are these just typical GAF responses? I can't imagine judging an RPG in 40 minutes.
The first hour is an extended tutorial that doesn't really reflect the game as a whole. I guess it might seem bad if you don't realize you just need to get over the hump. I didn't have a problem with it myself.

Amon37

Update on anyone waiting on a strat guide, some places say it's out but on backorder a few EB games I called said it's been delayed until the 30th.

Neil

^ Eugh, I'm so tired of waiting for the guide to come in stock!
I need to read up on these achievements!!

I went back to a previous save point instead of going to cassandra castle.
I decided to delay going there, I found a really good spot to get money.
If you go out of Port Zala, and to the mines, you will come across a Mimic monster in the first room. If you keep killing that and the enemies, takes about... a minute to get there and back out? You have at least 8000 fol. So I keep doing that 'til I have a few thousand, then go back to Fayel and upgrade my equipment. Although I had a wander over to Burgess (have to use the Ninja aristo and the bear... *cannot remember anyones names!!* to avoid that fucking rain), and they have even BETTER weapons.

WinFonda

gregor7777 said:

I've put about 6 hours into the game now, so let me qualify my initial impressions: Yeah this game gives a terrible first impression, and yeah it does get better, but not a whole lot. First of all, a lot of the major issues I had during my initial time with the game still exist. When you fight your very first battle in this game do you want to know what the first thing you'll notice is? The incredibly choppy framerate. Look, I normally don't care a whole lot about framerate (30, 60 -- whatever) but it's really, really jarring in this game. This problem never goes away, you simply start to get used to it over time, but that doesn't make it any less of an issue.

Now one thing that has gotten better are the empty and voiceless cutscenes. Nearly all of them as of late have been fully voiced. However, the lip sync is still just as bad as ever, and I think that makes some cutscenes especially awkward. I can easily forgive this, but it tells me this game lacked polish. Lots of it.

But back to the meat of the game. The world here barely feels inhabited. There really isn't much to do. And the game does a poor job at directing you towards the next big thing. The games combat consists of two buttons, they give you a block or guard button but it's impossible (and kinda pointless) to use. They also try to freshen things up by giving you quasi-control of another single party member. This is mostly important for the game's somewhat limited environmental interaction. Now another compliment I'll give the game is its party system. It's pretty awesome having up to 12 friendlies on screen -- even if it does marginalize the players role somewhat.

What appeals to me about IU is that it's an action RPG, it's open environment, and it doesn't have random battles. I love that. I loved Final Fantasy XII for that. But all that said, IU is a game that lacks the labor of love that turned FFXII's decent game mechanics and okay narrative into a really fun (and unique) game experience. You can tell. Play the game yourself if you're really curious.

robot

Neil said:
^ Eugh, I'm so tired of waiting for the guide to come in stock!
I need to read up on these achievements!!

I went back to a previous save point instead of going to cassandra castle.
I decided to delay going there, I found a really good spot to get money.
If you go out of Port Zala, and to the mines, you will come across a Mimic monster in the first room. If you keep killing that and the enemies, takes about... a minute to get there and back out? You have at least 8000 fol. So I keep doing that 'til I have a few thousand, then go back to Fayel and upgrade my equipment. Although I had a wander over to Burgess (have to use the Ninja aristo and the bear... *cannot remember anyones names!!* to avoid that fucking rain), and they have even BETTER weapons.

Even quicker way to get money (thanks to someone on my friends list that I think posts here)

Make horseshoes in Port Zala and resell them. They cost I think 550 to make and sell for 2500. I was making 100,000 profit in 5 minute intervals. I'm pretty sure you can't do it once you board the boat though, the girl that sells them might leave. Or if it's too late for that you can make Smiley Charms in an earlier town...cost 300 to make and sell for 1500 apiece iirc. Nets out to like 50,000 every few mintes. Forgot the name of the town, I'll check when I get home.

WinFonda said:
I've put about 6 hours into the game now, so let me qualify my initial impressions: Yeah this game gives a terrible first impression, and yeah it does get better, but not a whole lot. First of all, a lot of the major issues I had during my initial time with the game still exist. When you fight your very first battle in this game do you want to know what the first thing you'll notice is? The incredibly choppy framerate. Look, I normally don't care a whole lot about framerate (30, 60 -- whatever) but it's really, really jarring in this game. This problem never goes away, you simply start to get used to it over time, but that doesn't make it any less of an issue.

Now one thing that has gotten better are the empty and voiceless cutscenes. Nearly all of them as of late have been fully voiced. However, the lip sync is still just as bad as ever, and I think that makes some cutscenes especially awkward. I can easily forgive this, but it tells me this game lacked polish. Lots of it.

But back to the meat of the game. The world here barely feels inhabited. There really isn't much to do. And the game does a poor job at directing you towards the next big thing. The games combat consists of two buttons, they give you a block or guard button but it's impossible (and kinda pointless) to use. They also try to freshen things up by giving you quasi-control of another single party member. This is mostly important for the game's somewhat limited environmental interaction. Now another compliment I'll give the game is its party system. It's pretty awesome having up to 12 friendlies on screen -- even if it does marginalize the players role somewhat.

What appeals to me about IU is that it's an action RPG, it's open environment, and it doesn't have random battles. I love that. I loved Final Fantasy XII for that. But all that said, IU is a game that lacks the labor of love that turned FFXII's decent game mechanics and okay narrative into a really fun (and unique) game experience. You can tell. Play the game yourself if you're really curious.

I will, but I need to finish ToV first and that's going to take me a while.

Philthy

Frillen said:
You don't need two healers. Swap either Eugene or Michelle with someone else. Secondly, turn off Eugene's/Michelle's attacks, and have him/her only use healing magic. Concentrate on taking out the regular enemies whenever they show, and for Christ's sake, spam the Y button. Lastly, have the command on either Free or Spread during boss fights with underlings.

Can I swap characters at my last save point? I thought once you set up the three groups that was all you got. I'm not going to redo the entire tower again because I thought it was rather boring to be honest. The main problem I am having is that both Eugene and Michelle die instantly. You would think with two healers they would find a way to keep everyone alive, but the fact is, they go down really fast. I was hoping Sigmund would help out, but he's too busy elsewhere so, it's really just Capell and two healers vs a bunch of mobs that constantly stun you. Which also means I can't be healed easily, nor can I toss miraculous potions around. It kind of sucks, so thats why I'm a bit stuck at this part.

Frillen

Philthy said:
Can I swap characters at my last save point? I thought once you set up the three groups that was all you got. I'm not going to redo the entire tower again because I thought it was rather boring to be honest. The main problem I am having is that both Eugene and Michelle die instantly. You would think with two healers they would find a way to keep everyone alive, but the fact is, they go down really fast. I was hoping Sigmund would help out, but he's too busy elsewhere so, it's really just Capell and two healers vs a bunch of mobs that constantly stun you. Which also means I can't be healed easily, nor can I toss miraculous potions around. It kind of sucks, so thats why I'm a bit stuck at this part.

I don't remember if you were able to swap characters at the the last save point.

Anyway, try to take down the enemies attacking Michelle and Eugene, so they have free areas to build up their magic. Always kill the underlings first, especially the archers.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Now that I'm done with Tales of the Abyss (and ab it too franchise fatigued to start up Vesperia right away), I think the time is right for IU.

Anything I should keep an eye out for, such as missables, secrets, or whatever? Or is it not really that kind of game?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow, 2 hours in, and... (I really can't believe I'm saying this about a Tri Ace game, but...) I'm REALLY not feeling this game. :(

Althane

Mejilan said:
Wow, 2 hours in, and... (I really can't believe I'm saying this about a Tri Ace game, but...) I'm REALLY not feeling this game. :(

I'm going to give it another try after beating ToV, but... I think this one goes under the "failure" catagory, sadly.

The main thing that killed me was that it was so damned empty. Too much open space.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
DDs (short for Deflect Drive) are not really pointless. A successful chain of DDs is the only way to be able to launch a boss (or big enemies) into the air.

Useless when it comes to dealing with a mob of enemies, sure. But on one-on-one fights, it's a really valuable tool. It requires timing/reflex and memorization of enemies patterns. I was able to launch the boss in Sapran by pulling off a couple of DDs, and he wasn't able to hit me at all.

DD is a typical tri-Ace mechanic that takes time to learn to use and exploit. The battle engine has problems but the DD mechanic is not one of them. the fact that bosses are affected by it, makes it a valuable tool in fights. My problem with the battle engine lies in the useless battle skills, and lack of good ground combo oriented move for Capell. In SO3 almost every skill was useful in one way or the other, same for VP2. Each battle skill in those game had their own characteristics that made useful, in IU that's not the case. The actual skill balance is terrible in IU. The battle skill balance remind me of a Tales game, you just get skills that do more hits and/or are more powerful. The only skill totally different from the rest is Symphonic Blade and even then, the fact that you HAVE to connect to a teammate makes it a fucking hassle to use in combat.

Another thing I totally dislike is the lack of tweaking or customization for your characters, I don't count Enchanting as customization since it's just a temporary measure and you also need materials, which are a fucking pain to get. SO3/VP2 had a shitload of customization, and it was fun tweaking characters in very different ways. IU had none of that.

Having a wee bit of trouble early on. after beating the first dungeon and now I need to bring the girl (aya i think?) and the two kids to some castle with Sigmund in it, problem is I don't know how. I just went through the forest and got to the end with nowhere to go.

Error

funkmastergeneral said:
Having a wee bit of trouble early on. after beating the first dungeon and now I need to bring the girl (aya i think?) and the two kids to some castle with Sigmund in it, problem is I don't know how. I just went through the forest and got to the end with nowhere to go.
go straight from nolaan to a cave, go throught that cave then follow the road to the west.

edit: sorry it's west, not east.

takotchi

Ugh, this game can eat a bag of dicks. I never realized this, but other parties can't or won't interact with your party at all.

I had a boss that kept paralyzing and paralyzing and paralyzing my party... naturally, enchants that block ailments seem to be totally useless (is this a bug?) so I was just stuck standing there. The other party (the two brats and the bear) were fine, but they wouldn't heal or revive anybody. It was "Game Over" because everybody in my party passed out, even though the other party was fine.

That is just dumb as hell. I love getting "Game Over" for no good reason while the save point was like a half hour of gameplay in the past. To get really nitpicky here, the Game Over screen takes forever to fade out (to add insult to injury?) and you can't use the analog stick to browse the menu (definitely a bug, it works at save points).

JaMarco

takotchi said:
Ugh, this game can eat a bag of dicks. I never realized this, but other parties can't or won't interact with your party at all.

I had a boss that kept paralyzing and paralyzing and paralyzing my party... naturally, enchants that block ailments seem to be totally useless (is this a bug?) so I was just stuck standing there. The other party (the two brats and the bear) were fine, but they wouldn't heal or revive anybody. It was "Game Over" because everybody in my party passed out, even though the other party was fine.

That is just dumb as hell. I love getting "Game Over" for no good reason while the save point was like a half hour of gameplay in the past. To get really nitpicky here, the Game Over screen takes forever to fade out (to add insult to injury?) and you can't use the analog stick to browse the menu (definitely a bug, it works at save points).
I was thinking of renting IU at some point but you guys make this game sound awful. I guess ill just skip it/

batbeg

Case said:
I was thinking of renting IU at some point but you guys make this game sound awful. I guess ill just skip it/

May as well rent it. It may be a love it or hate it thing, because it's my favorite next-gen game as of right now, and the most fun I've had with an RPG in a couple of years. Sure, it has faults, but I didn't even think of them or notice most of them until after I beat the game (and frankly, the saves didn't bother me as I only got game overs twice, both on a boss right after a save point).

And the enchants thing... sounds like you're using them wrong or it's a bug on your side, takotchi, as mine were able to prevent paralyzation.

takotchi

Meh, they just never work for me. I tried enchants to stop the confusion from the 'shrooms in Dais, and that didn't work. Tried the one for paralyzation for
Saranda
and that didn't work either. I know they time out, but that's definitely not the problem.

I guess I'll try accessories. I think either the Faina doll or Leif doll has anti-paralyze...

kinggroin

Banned
Just started on this rental, and thank God it's just that.

How much longer does this damn forest go on for? Blech. Either I'm picking the bad ones (Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and now this), or the 360 is the place jrpgs go to die :lol

Keikoku

Banned
kinggroin said:
Just started on this rental, and thank God it's just that.

How much longer does this damn forest go on for? Blech. Either I'm picking the bad ones (Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and now this), or the 360 is the place jrpgs go to die :lol

Or your don't like good games maybe ? :/

kinggroin

Banned
Keikoku said:
Or your don't like good games maybe ? :/

No need to be a smart-ass. Just my opinion of the game a couple hours in. If it gets better, then thank the gaming gods. However so far (and I'm apparently not alone on this), it feels utterly generic. The two-button combat system is also pretty boring as well, which is a shame since I love the real-time encounters and setup.

The other games I mentioned started a bit better than this one, but were overall still a letdown. I've been playing rpgs (both eastern and western developed) for 20 years now; so fancy gfx doesn't equate to an automatic pass.

I think it's pretty embarrasing that the other rpg I'm in the middle of playing (DQIV) is over ten years old and has more personality than this game so far. More so that this is supposed to be a Tri-Ace title :/

Geez. The forest took 5 min, 10 tops.
If all you did was run through without fighting and skipped the cutscenes, sure 5 minutes tops.

tehbear

Whew, finally beat it. I know I spent a dozen hours hitting X while watching TV pounding away at horseshoes and crappy children novels and pseudo science self-help books.

The game was quite entertaining, and feels like a MMO crossed with an action game. I am not sure I want Tri-Ace to go on with this engine though cause it needs major work. The production values goes from decent to shitsville relatively fast, light sources leak all over the place, characters spinning around trying to path through a door, enemies on ledges I can't reach casting on me, horribly textured hallways... and the list goes on.

But it is still fun. DDs, aeriel combos, trying to crowd control made it one of my favorites. Outside of having to use mana pots in a real time menu I wouldn't change much. Connect skills were interesting, but I didn't use it much. I so wish Tir na Nog would come out without me connected 24x7 cause Rucha won't cast shit otherwise.

Crafting was interesting until the end, it was a huge time drain trying to make high end stuff and the constant failure just pissed me off.

In conclusion, everyone needs to play this so Tri-Ace can have money to hire real voice actors next time. <deep voice>DIMINUENDO DRIVE</deep voice>

CAVE343

takotchi said:
Meh, they just never work for me. I tried enchants to stop the confusion from the 'shrooms in Dais, and that didn't work. Tried the one for paralyzation for
Saranda
and that didn't work either. I know they time out, but that's definitely not the problem.

I guess I'll try accessories. I think either the Faina doll or Leif doll has anti-paralyze...

Yeah I had the same problem, I died once there because my party was slapping eachother and me all over the place

Blackjack

kinggroin said:
If all you did was run through without fighting and skipped the cutscenes, sure 5 minutes tops.
No, that's with cutscenes. The forest sucks because it's so dark, but it's not exactly LONG, dude. It's basically a straight line.

Yasser

any tips for the
vermified held
fight? most times my party just dies to one of his aoe attacks at the start :( is gemma anywhere nearby?

Yasser said:
any tips for the
vermified held
fight? most times my party just dies to one of his aoe attacks at the start :( is gemma anywhere nearby?

This is where i died most, thanks to the wide-wide AoE attack. Set your party to Spread, and keep your distance. Aya is useful, since she can stay out of the AoE range and still hit. If you see the white spheres appear, RUN. Forget hitting him, just run.

Ricker

Ugh,still can't beat that Spider in Dais...and since i can't change party members in there(why? you have 15 members or so but i have to trek all the way back to Kolton to change party)...time to grind a few levels till everyone is 35 or so i guess...i'm also stuck on a Boss in Tales of Vesperia for now hehe...

Yasser

Android18a said:
This is where i died most, thanks to the wide-wide AoE attack. Set your party to Spread, and keep your distance. Aya is useful, since she can stay out of the AoE range and still hit. If you see the white spheres appear, RUN. Forget hitting him, just run.
finally beat the fucker, no thanks to my party; i hid behind the chain in the corner and let kiriya do all the hard work :p

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I've beaten SG a couple of times now and I'm currently at level 206 with most of the best gear and weapons in the game.

Tip for those struggling:

Forget about using enchanters. Stick with a party of hard hitter, buy as many potions as you can afford, turn off all the items except those you want used and you should be golden. Healing spells take too long to cast. Also, create a whole bunch of accessories that have health/magic regeneration.

You'll soon be unstoppable.

takotchi

Some DLC on the marketplace now. "A Voucher" allows you to purchase what seems to be every metal (including Atlantis Metal, Amarlista, &c.) in shops. Best part? It's only 204kb and it's free.

tehbear

takotchi said:
Some DLC on the marketplace now. "A Voucher" allows you to purchase what seems to be every metal (including Atlantis Metal, Amarlista, &c.) in shops. Best part? It's only 204kb and it's free.

I wish I had this before I spent all those hours transmuting the 20 gold I need for every Crystalline lol.

takotchi

I just hope there will be a B Voucher and C Voucher and D Voucher... and so on. I need some Genius Quills, among other things, and the wood used to make them is hard to find.

Nemesis_

burgerdog said:
That's fucking amazing, the game absolutely needed that. Thank god it's free.
I kinda feel like I'm cheating though. I've forged the ultimate weapons for Edward and Cappell =P

I realise there's the ones available after the game, but still >_>

kinggroin

Banned
Blackjack said:
No, that's with cutscenes. The forest sucks because it's so dark, but it's not exactly LONG, dude. It's basically a straight line.

:lol

Oh man, I'm definitely playing a different game.

Anyway, the game is getting a little better and has now gone from "crap" to "mediocre". It's the characters and story, nothing charming or engaging; which is a shame. The framework for the gameplay is something I'd like to see used more often (as well as allowing for more hands-on with party members during battle). So far, FFXII's gambit system and ability to choose who to control at any given time is the best example of similar system.

burgerdog

Nemesis556 said:
I kinda feel like I'm cheating though. I've forged the ultimate weapons for Edward and Cappell =P

I realise there's the ones available after the game, but still >_>

I made Capell's, Kouma's, Aya's, and one or two more before the DLC and it was an absolute bitch farming for those materials. I even stopped playing the game because I got tired of farming and said fuck it.

Error

takotchi said:
FUCK YES

robot

Can anyone fill me in on how to make these ultimate weapons? I'm on Disc 2 and
am heading back to give Edward medicine.

I have a ton of gold (800k) and would love to make em.

Error

Btw anyone that wants quick money, get the 'gold x3/No exp' enchantment and near Nolaan in Luce Plains there's a mimic or crab chest whatever, should net you 12k a kill.

I'm not sure how stacking works when it comes to enchantments, though.

edit: got confused!

edit 2: Seems putting more than one gold +30% enchantment doesn't stack. Only one party member needs to have it. Seems to be a group effect enchant.

edit 3: group effect my ass, the way the gold enchantment works... means the character with the enchantment NEEDS to kill the enemy, otherwise it wouldn't matter if you have the enchantment on.

Diablos

Bahhh I'm at the
Cobansa Timberlands
AND I CAN'T MAKE MY WAY OUT THE PORTALS ARE SO CONFUSING EASHGRFWOEUYGR@#(*&Y&R*($@#R

Please help, fellow IU gaffers!

I beat the boss there, I just need to
find that dude so I can save that hardass Edward, even though he sucks, and I hate him.

-_-

Top Bottom