• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

Error said:
Tales fanbots festering in my thread is such a sad sight, it hurts me. :(

Not that you're personally addressing me, but I'm anything but a Tales fanbot.

What should hurt you is that, apparently, tri-Ace has decided to stop making tri-Ace games.

60 FPS? Nope

Smooth gameplay? Nope

Extended Replay Value? Apparently not (I guess we can't be TOO sure yet - that the max level is 250/5 gives me some faint glimmer that the extra content was just IGNORED in the review, as unlikely as that would seem)

Awesome extracurricular dungeons and bosses? NOPE

I mean, it could be a great game and all (though only being able to control the main character is still a huge disaster)... but it really doesn't seem like a TRI-ACE game, now does it?

kiryogi

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Star Ocean is incredible. ESPECIALLY 3 :lol

NOTE: I don't give two flying fucks that the story in SO3 is a complete mess. It's completely irrelevant.

Hey now, I'm just rating on the whole package. Team Symphonia tends to get that unlike Team Destiny, or Tri-Ace.

batbeg said:
But yeah, there are a great number of people willing to damn the game on one reviewers word. It's easy to tell when you aren't going to enjoy a game, but the annoying part is how many of these complainers conveniently remember to mention Tales :O

eh, it's just the result of two jrpgs releasing in such a short period on the same console.

peronally i think there should be a separate thread for reviews to avoid all the "i'm gonna pass and get X game, i'm gonna rent, ect." type of posts in an official thread.

i had read a while back that some content might be locked out on the easier difficulties? did that turn out to be true?

20-30hrs is a bit short, but if multiple playthrus are encouraged then i'll be satisfied.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Extended Replay Value? Apparently not (I guess we can't be TOO sure yet - that the max level is 250/5 gives me some faint glimmer that the extra content was just IGNORED in the review, as unlikely as that would seem)

Yeah, I don't understand why there would be such a high level cap without some Uber Boss. I would be very happy if there was atleast one post game dungeon.

kiryogi said:
Hey now, I'm just rating on the whole package. Team Symphonia tends to get that unlike Team Destiny, or Tri-Ace.

The combat in SO3 is infinity light years beyond anything the Tales series has to offer. And while they both specialize in replayability, SO3 definitely has the advantage there also.

And you really might want to look into this post. One could almost come off with the idea that you think ToS has a good story :p

kiryogi

Banned
The combat in SO3 is infinity light years beyond anything the Tales series has to offer. And while they both specialize in replayability, SO3 definitely has the advantage there also.

And you really might want to look into this post. One could almost come off with the idea that you think ToS has a good story :p

Well, no ToS doesn't. I'm just saying the Team does. Abyss and above pick it up, and this is in comparison to Team Destiny and Tri-Ace efforts. And I think the combat in ToR/ToDR blow SO3 away in comparison. Yeah, Team Symphonia isn't as deep in the combat, but it's solid. Team Destiny titles on the other hand go crazy with the subsystems and limtations. And don't get me wrong, out side of the big twist, I still enjoyed SO3. I'm just saying the only time Tri-ace really ever hit it out of the park on all aspects was the VP series.

kiryogi said:
Well, no ToS doesn't. I'm just saying the Team does. Abyss and above pick it up, and this is in comparison to Team Destiny and Tri-Ace efforts. And I think the combat in ToR/ToDR blow SO3 away in comparison. Yeah, Team Symphonia isn't as deep in the combat, but it's solid. Team Destiny titles on the other hand go crazy with the subsystems and limtations.

I just have to wonder how much you played SO3. It's way beyond Tales. It's entirely feasible to do playthroughs centered around 1 or 2 special moves you haven't tried on a character before, and it be a completely engrossing experience that requires you to think about the game in a whole new way.

Even on the highest difficulties Tales games are button mashers and skill spammers. There is an art to juggling and the like, but not much, and there is very little variety in terms of what moves are amazing and what is utterly ineffective.

The way SO handles special moves is also way better, both in how they're executed, what they do, and their relative use. Very few are useless, though clearly some are better than others. Tales games are loaded with shite filler moves... and even the good ones aren't THAT different from the bad ones, they simply have better syneryg or timing.

SO is way flashier too, which is a plus in my book.

This will be a fruitless discussion though. I'll just conclude by saying that I have MASSIVE experience with both (hundreds of hours in the Tales games I've played and nearly 1000 probably in SO3)... and I just do not see how anyone that has really explored SO3 can think any Tales game (note: I haven't played them all, but have played the ones considered "the best") even compares. It's laughable.

HiResDes

BlueTsunami said:
Yeah, I don't understand why there would be such a high level cap without some Uber Boss. I would be very happy if there was atleast one post game dungeon.
Yeah Even Lost Odyssey had some fairly difficult hidden bosses, Temple of Enlightenment anyone

kiryogi

Banned
This really will just end up as a fanboy war, but have you played a Team Destiny title? I think I've only seen you rant on about Symp and Abyss. Honestly, you want to talk about flashy, those would be it. And in terms of technicality, you can't exactly mash either.

Paznos

HiResDes said:
Yeah Even Lost Odyssey had some fairly difficult hidden bosses, Temple of Enlightenment anyone
The bosses weren't hard imo it was getting through that place that was difficult :lol

FrankT

HiResDes said:
Maybe I'll just wait on STar Ocean 4, do you guys think it will make it out this year.

Naw it is slated for 09 sometime, spring maybe IIRC. LR is really the only one left for the year.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS PLAY TALES

I FAILED HIMU. HE'S PROBABLY HIGH DRIVING DOWN THE HIGHWAY RIGHT NOW.

I WON'T LET YOU ABUSE ANY OF MY OTHER FRIENDS, KIR. BACK FROM WHENCE YOU CAME.

alanias

Regarding the review, I wonder what difficulty setting he played it on. I doubt he played it on easy, but if he played it on normal that means he missed the extra content of hard mode, which may or may not be significant. The review complaints/score don't really add up to me when I read it, so I will wait for a few more reviews before deciding on this one.

FrankT

alanias said:
Regarding the review, I wonder what difficulty setting he played it on. I doubt he played it on easy, but if he played it on normal that means he missed the extra content of hard mode, which may or may not be significant. The review complaints/score don't really add up to me when I read it, so I will wait for a few more reviews before deciding on this one.

Yea, I think error mentioned this earlier.

Cianalas

alanias said:
Indeed. As damning some people seem to think the review text is, I didn't get a 7.1 impression from it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
alanias said:

So is it confirmed that there's content that's only accessible on Hard?

Loudninja

Y2Kev said:

:lol

Rimshot

I do not understand why people complain on ToS so much, was my second ever tales games after Tales of Phantasia. And I liked ToS a lot back in the days when I played it for the GC. Most of all it was a nice change from all the rpgs that came out and only focused on grey and brown dungeons :eek: Anyways, if one is to believe the reviews on the net it seems people are preferring ToV over IU. Kind of sad, I wanted IU to be the better one since I'm a little tired of the cellshading anime style.

EDIT: OMFG, someone actually gave PREY a 9? o.0 Now I don't know who's worst, the ign review crew or the lady on gamespot with no neck that always seem to succeed in making me want to punch her when watching rpg video reviews :s

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Y2Kev said:

:lol

Let's start GAT: Gamers Against Tales

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
kiryogi said:
This really will just end up as a fanboy war, but have you played a Team Destiny title? I think I've only seen you rant on about Symp and Abyss. Honestly, you want to talk about flashy, those would be it. And in terms of technicality, you can't exactly mash either.
haha you got fucking owned, first you were bashing BOTH Team Destiny and tri-Ace... saying "Team Symphonia games are the total package" then you retreated to "But you haven't play Team Destiny games!!" come on, if I were you... I would just leave before I looked anymore stupid.

BlueTsunami said:
So is it confirmed that there's content that's only accessible on Hard?
Confirmed by IGN themselves...

kiryogi

Banned
Error said:
haha you got fucking owned, first you were bashing BOTH Team Destiny and tri-Ace... saying "Team Symphonia games are the total package" then you retreated to "But you haven't play Team Destiny games!!" come on, if I were you... I would just leave before I looked anymore stupid.

Confirmed by IGN themselves...

Uh no, you're missing the mark. I said the package as a whole and I still stand by that, then he went on to mention gameplay and guess what? That's Team Destiny's forte. Team Symphonia covers all fronts pretty well for the most part. On the other hand, similar to Tri-Ace, Team Destiny can't really write. But they sure can deliver some great battle systems. Now, even VP itself was a mess all around, but overall of the their efforts out there, the VP series has been the most consistent.

dark10x said:
As everyone has noted, this is an MS funded game. Furthermore, the tools are probably all created in house by Tri-Ace. I'm just disappointed that the visuals/performance turned out so awful, though, as Tri-Ace is known for much better. This really has the feeling of a project they didn't care about.

This is quite honestly how I've been feeling about the majority of jRPGs appearing on 360 and why I just haven't been excited for them

...exception being Tales and Blue Dragon

AgentOtaku said:
wha?

I'd been interested in the majority of them coming out up until a point

So don't tell me what I do and don't care about

so with every console do you stop caring if a few games are released on it that aren't up to snuff graphics/performance wise?

Darkman M

Farnack said:
I wonder how's the storyline.

I'm just disappointed that the girl wasn't as cute as I thought she would be. -_-

kumawalk.gif

batbeg

Farnack said:
I wonder how's the storyline.

I'm just disappointed that the girl wasn't as cute as I thought she would be. -_-

She isn't?

infinite-undiscovery-20080827002940826_640w.jpg

:D

I love the looks of every character but the twins so far. Aya definitely hits my "cute but not Collette haha look at me I'm such a klutz isn't my awkwardness so cute?!" check box :D

matmanx1

Totally off the cuff here but seeing that review and hearing about the development of IU I can't help but think of a plausible scenario. MS contracts Tri-Ace with a big pile of money in hand, asking them to create an RPG especially for the 360. Tri-Ace, being intelligent, takes the money and realizes they can use it to help improve the game they really want to work on (Star Ocean 4) while using IU as the test bed for the new graphics engine and combat systems.

The result is exactly what we see. An action RPG that (if early reviews are to be believed) seems like it may not have gotten its fair share of TLC before it shipped. I guess the good news is if Star Ocean 4 rocks then we can all go back to this day and thank IU for helping to make that possible. :D

Oh and please stop bashing Tales! It may be animu and not always the greatest but the Tales teams at least give us frequently solid games that have nifty combat systems and quirky humor. I know it isnt everyone's cup of tea but I rate the Tales teams at or above the level of Tri-Ace simply on the hours of enjoyment I've gotten out of the respective games by each developer. And in the end, it's the fun that matters, right?

Basch

I was going to say something, but then I forgot. STOP THE BICKERING!!! THIS IS F#CKING TRI-ACE! NOT TALES!11!!1 I'm blaming all of you for making me forget. -_- I almost forgot I was in a thread about IU. Anyways...

At least the characters look Japanese for once. Always been a complaint of mine for awhile now. Oh yeah, now I remember. I was going to quote someone. :D

Darkman M said:
I wouldn't wait on any reviews regarding jrpg's in NA really, if it isn't named Final Fantasy don't expect raving reviews.

This.

The only other game I can think of that was met with immediate critical success was Persona 3. When that game started hitting the digits, I thought it was the second coming. :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
matmanx1 said:
Totally off the cuff here but seeing that review and hearing about the development of IU I can't help but think of a plausible scenario. MS contracts Tri-Ace with a big pile of money in hand, asking them to create an RPG especially for the 360. Tri-Ace, being intelligent, takes the money and realizes they can use it to help improve the game they really want to work on (Star Ocean 4) while using IU as the test bed for the new graphics engine and combat systems.

The result is exactly what we see. An action RPG that (if early reviews are to be believed) seems like it may not have gotten its fair share of TLC before it shipped. I guess the good news is if Star Ocean 4 rocks then we can all go back to this day and thank IU for helping to make that possible. :D

you mean they got SMT Nine'd or True Fantasy Live Onlined? :D

batbeg

matmanx1 said:

I seriously doubt all of that... especially as Gotanda talked so fondly of many of the ideas in the game and his hopes for it. Then there's the fact that Microsoft was originally publisher, and it's hardly as if a developer can just rip off the money from the publisher without the publisher becoming aware of it.

It's probably the growth of technology and the constraints of a time limit and specific budget that would account for any failings on tri-Ace's behalf. It's a shame but it's definitely a possibility, especially as Microsoft probably intended tri-Ace to be one of the many developers they had to help crack into the Japanese market, but the length of development made them more and more useless to these plans.

Akai

batbeg said:
Aya definitely hits my "cute but not Collette haha look at me I'm such a klutz isn't my awkwardness so cute?!" check box :D

What's with the random Colette dig? =(

7.1 isn't enough to scare me away...Going to trust my gut on this one!

This is interesting. Watched the IGN video review, at the end he actually recommends that you save your money for ToV or Fable 2 or Fallout 3...

Strange...I don't remember this happening usually in reviews.

WickedLaharl said:
so with every console do you stop caring if a few games are released on it that aren't up to snuff graphics/performance wise?

.....nevermind. Guess some things just can't be criticized

Farnack

Banned
batbeg said:
She isn't?

I love the looks of every character but the twins so far. Aya definitely hits my "cute but not Collette haha look at me I'm such a klutz isn't my awkwardness so cute?!" check box :D
That looks good, but that's because I don't see that slut make up on her face.

h3ro

I wonder/hope they patch in the missing voice over work... that seems like an error that took place during the translation period more than a design choice...

Rimshot

Solideliquid said:
This is interesting. Watched the IGN video review, at the end he actually recommends that you save your money for ToV or Fable 2 or Fallout 3...

Strange...I don't remember this happening usually in reviews.

Just watched it myself... Ouch, heh.

HiResDes

batbeg said:
She isn't?

I think Michelle is the cutest character of all, but hey I feel weird talking about computer generated images anyway...Hold on damnit, I take that back, Hollywood is just as fake.

Top Bottom