• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

I'm stuck. I'm trying to
outswim the scary water monster and there's a hanging chain hook that somehow is supposed to help me (distract her?)

Light hint
Think fishing and kiting. How can you out swim her, and then lock her out again.

Answer
Dangle from the chain into the water to lure the crazy lady
Now you have more distance to out swim her.

Just finished it.

It blew my brain right the fuck out of the back of my head. Just incredible.

So creative and different. Loved every second.

Just finished it.

It blew my brain right the fuck out of the back of my head. Just incredible.

So creative and different. Loved every second.

Finished it in one sitting tonight, and I think my chain of thoughts through the game would summarize as:

Grim, ew, something bad is going to happen, what's all this, haha, wtf, this is awesome.

5/5

Just finished in one sitting. Definitely some unexpected events. Game was great some really good puzzles sound and art design was amazing. Sound really added to the tension in a lot of parts, really glad I took some of you alls advice and wore my headset. Idk how likely it is, most likely wont happen but I would love some add on dlc. Even with no dlc I can still see myself playing through again even though I already know the puzzles along with going for all the achievements to 100% it.

Just finished it. 2hrs and 58mins. 4 secrets found. died 88 times.

This game is the definition of cinematic (puzzle) platformers. The presentation is fantastic. Everything about presentation is polished at the highest level and works perfect. From walking and swimming animations to the brilliant use of background and foreground and overall sound direction. And all of them are working to create this incredible atmosphere.

Just like Limbo, INSIDE has some puzzles that will be solved by logical thinking, some puzzles that will be solved by doing what you can do on the screen and some platforming puzzles that require you to use precise timing, but overall INSIDE felt more cohesive than Limbo. Also compared to Limbo, there's a bit more variety in puzzles.

My biggest issue is its length and its difficulty which was a bit easy.
Awesome game overall. I'll replay it but I can already see it has a high chance of being in my 2016 GOTY list

ekim

I'm currently somewhere near the middle of the game I think.
I just jumped from the one pool to the other with the mini submarine

The game is so polished my brain can't comprehend it. And I'm unsure if I have seen better graphics yet on this console from a coherence point of view. The lighting is incredible. Is it baked or dynamic?

v4aFGh8.gif

Finished it way earlier today and nothing needs to be said really. What an incredible experience, I hope more people get to play it.

This game is something else. The suspense, tension and eerie atmosphere were all spot on.

And the animations are absolutely top notch! Playdead has smacked it out of the gate.

Sanjuro

I don't think I've had this much enjoyment watching a character die in a while. I went back so many times already to sew how the main character could bite it.

Still only rank second on my friends list in deaths though.

LiK

I don't think I've had this much enjoyment watching a character die in a while. I went back so many times already to sew how the main character could bite it.

Still only rank second on my friends list in deaths though.

what's your GT? mine is xLiKx. let's be friends.

d00d3n

Are the graphics 3d? Asking because I am trying to decide if I should get the game early for xbone or wait for PC.

gweemz

Haven't finished it yet, but really enjoying this game. Reminds me of Ico and Limbo (obviously). It makes my gf nervous when she watches me play it lol.

TheKeyPit

Banned
v4aFGh8.gif

Finished it way earlier today and nothing needs to be said really. What an incredible experience, I hope more people get to play it.

This all sounds too good. My wallet's going to cry, because I can't hold it any longer. Think that I'll hit the buy-button later today...

Edit: It's downloading. The last time I did this, I bought Ori. I didn't regret that one.

I absolutely hate this game.

It's beautiful, the sound design is great, and I really want to see where the story goes.

But, like Limbo, it's unwavering reliance on 'trial and error' game design is absolutely unforgivable. I just cannot find this style of 'puzzle' design fun. It's a bad funhouse maze, where some asshole clown just punches you in the face if you walk down a dead-end path.

I think I could be more OK with the puzzles if they weren't so unfairly unforgiving. It's just not fun to die because you didn't 100% know exactly what to do the second you are presented with a new challenge. Oh, you hesitated for 0.5 seconds after pressing the button? Now you have no chance to outrun the Indiana Jones-style object rolling down at you.

I don't find this kind of stuff fun; it's just infuriating.

gamz

It's beautiful, the sound design is great, and I really want to see where the story goes.

But, like Limbo, it's unwavering reliance on 'trial and error' game design is absolutely unforgivable. I just cannot find this style of 'puzzle' design fun. It's a bad funhouse maze, where some asshole clown just punches you in the face if you walk down a dead-end path.

I think I could be more OK with the puzzles if they weren't so unfairly unforgiving. It's just not fun to die because you didn't 100% know exactly what to do the second you are presented with a new challenge. Oh, you hesitated for 0.5 seconds after pressing the button? Now you have no chance to outrun the Indiana Jones-style object rolling down at you.

If you didn't like Limbo it should've been obvious.

If you didn't like Limbo it should've been obvious.

Sadly I took the claim that 'you die way less often than in Limbo' from Giant Bomb's quick look as a sign that perhaps Playdead had designed more forgiving puzzles. Sadly that was not the case.

Also, a lot of people really liked Limbo. I really wanted to believe I just had an unusually bad time with it.

I guess I just don't enjoy this style of 100% trial-and-error gameplay. To me, if feels the polar opposite of 2008's Prince of Persia.

I found that game amazing, as the mellowing of the fail state from traditional 'reset-to-prior-state death' allowed the action and 'flow' of the game to, well, flow. In Inside and Limbo, the starkly binary 'sucess-or-die' system just ruins all enjoyment for me.

gamz

Sadly I took the claim that 'you die way less often than in Limbo' from Giant Bomb's quick look as a sign that perhaps Playdead had designed more forgiving puzzles. Sadly that was not the case.

I'm normally with you. Ori annoyed the crap out of me, but not Limbo. I have no idea why?

Anyways buying it this weekend.

I'm currently somewhere near the middle of the game I think.
I just jumped from the one pool to the other with the mini submarine

The game is so polished my brain can't comprehend it. And I'm unsure if I have seen better graphics yet on this console from a coherence point of view. The lighting is incredible. Is it baked or dynamic?
A teaser for their GDC presentation (Low Complexity, High Fidelity - INSIDE Rendering)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fyshi_vr9U
We will describe a variety of effects used to achieve an atmospheric look, including local shadowed volumetrics and a robust water-rendering system. Seeking to fine-tune every pixel led us to author lighting as entirely separate diffuse, specular and bounce-light entities, while focusing on artist-approachable tools meant utilizing analytic primitive-based ambient occlusion and screenspace reflections.

LiK

Yeah, but if it is 3d I guess it will be possible to downsample, take advantage of gsync during frame drops and so on.

Don't think any of that is required. It's more art style/direction and it's not a fast paced game. It's already gorgeous as is but here's hoping the PC version runs just as well.

d00d3n

Don't think any of that is required. It's more art style/direction and it's not a fast paced game. It's already gorgeous as is but here's hoping the PC version runs just as well.

I just refunded my Steam purchase and got the Xbone version. I can't sit around and wait a week for this!

You have to think of it Iike a Super Meat Boy. Dying is learning, and as much a part of the experience as the aesthetic. And also a means of establishing the bleak stark mood, in how detached and matter-of-fact the deaths are.

You have to think of it Iike a Super Meat Boy. Dying is learning, and as much a part of the experience as the aesthetic. And also a means of establishing the bleak stark mood, in how detached and matter-of-fact the deaths are.

I've not played Super Meat Boy, so I cannot speak to the parallels there.

I'm not against dying. But I think the phrase 'dying is learning' hits upon something key to my dislike of the game -- dying is not learning. At least, not useful learning, beyond the exact scenario at hand.

The value of the thing one learns to get past a puzzle seems, so far, to be only valuable to getting past that single puzzle. I'm perhaps an hour in, and have not learned much (besides running full-speed to the right is not always the best solution, and that dogs are 10% faster than my character) that is usable later in the game.

What is the value of knowledge that has no use the second you learn it?

TheKeyPit

Banned
Should it be installed on the internal or an external drive? Ori DE had problems on the externals, confirmed by the developers, because they optimized for the internal drive.

LiK

I just refunded my Steam purchase and got the Xbone version. I can't sit around and wait a week for this!

My man. You are in for a treat.

Should it be installed on the internal or an external drive? Ori DE had problems on the externals, confirmed by the developers, because they optimized for the internal drive.

I install all my games to external and INSIDE didn't have any issues there.

Just beat it. Outstanding. Still thinking about it.

Now to go back and replay the game, get all the achievements, and beat it again.

danowat

Banned
I'm not against dying. But I think the phrase 'dying is learning' hits upon something key to my dislike of the game -- dying is not learning. At least, not useful learning, beyond the exact scenario at hand.

Try and fail is how we progress in real life, when it comes to games, try and die is along the same lines.

How else would the game have portrayed the fail state, if not through try and die?

LiK

Platformers in general have a lot of fail states. INSIDE includes puzzles as a part of it. Not sure why there's hate for dying. at least this game sorta gives you way more warnings than Limbo did. Death was def part of the Limbo design in order to figure out those puzzles.

LiK

Can someone please tell me what happens in the last half hour of this game that all the reviewers go from thinking it's just a good Limbo successor to being the best game since sliced bread? TIA

Check the spoiler thread. We have discussions about it there.

Try and fail is how we progress in real life, when it comes to games, try and die is along the same lines.

How else would the game have portrayed the fail state, if not through try and die?

I'm not necessarily against 'try-and-die', but I don't like the pairing of it in this game with such harsh timing. I would say TnD can be better, when it's not 'miss by 1% and you lose', as this game feels most of the time.

I can see how some people can enjoy it. I just don't.

I just hit a perfect example of why I really hate this style of game. I'll encase it in spoiler tags to be safe...

Just encountered the underwater long-hair girl while I'm in the sub

I actually learned that she won't attack when the spot light is on her. Cool. I go along, keeping the light on her so she stays away. I see I need to break out through some boards above. So I charge up, and shoot upwards. The boards partially break, and I bounce back downwards. Turns out that powers down the spot-light for several seconds, and she attacks and kills me.

How was I supposed to know the light would go off? Through no fault of my own, I am punished -- with death. I don't find this masochism fun.

Other games might tutorialize that a bit -- have a spot where I need to hop over a object blocking the path. The girl would have to jump over too, and thus I would be safe during that period -- and would learn that after a charge/boost that the light powers down for a few seconds.

Instead, Inside just straight up kills me, as if I should have known that mechanic existed. I simply don't see how I should feel good about that.

Edit: Having found the actual solution, turns out the light only goes out at when hitting a hard surface and not breaking through. So I would would have had to know that it would take multiple blows to break through those boards to not die. Being punished for not having information I would not reasonably have it just not fun.

Colbert

Banned
Just finished it including the secret ending!

I was assuming since the games end sequence what was disclosed by the secret ending.

Wonderful experience!

Everyone should play it with headsets on just to even get more immersed into the game!

It was pretty great. I was stuck running back and forth and then it hit me. Loved every single puzzle. :D

the chicks lived. They were still moving around
Am I twisted, because that's the first solution that crossed my mind and
I was sure the chicks were going to be trounced.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Just finished it including the secret ending!

I was assuming since the games end sequence what was disclosed by the secret ending.

Wonderful experience!

Everyone should play it with headsets on just to even get more immersed into the game!

That's how I play most games. I can't wait.

danowat

Banned
Just encountered the underwater long-hair girl while I'm in the sub

I actually learned that she won't attack when the spot light is on her. Cool. I go along, keeping the light on her so she stays away. I see I need to break out through some boards above. So I charge up, and shoot upwards. The boards partially break, and I bounce back downwards. Turns out that powers down the spot-light for several seconds, and she attacks and kills me.

How was I supposed to know the light would go off? Through no fault of my own, I am punished -- with death. I don't find this masochism fun.

Other games might tutorialize that a bit -- have a spot where I need to hop over a object blocking the path. The girl would have to jump over too, and thus I would be safe during that period -- and would learn that after a charge/boost that the light powers down for a few seconds.

Instead, Inside just straight up kills me, as if I should have known that mechanic existed. I simply don't see how I should feel good about that.

Was that mechanic not already explained?, wasn't there a section before it that you used the sub to smash through some things?, it was clear than that if you hit something the sub powered down for a few seconds.

Top Bottom