• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

d00d3n

How do I get past
the second ringu dark haired water monster, now without the submarine
? I am at a small platform with a chain above it that can be climbed and moved back and forth a small distance by pressing a button. Every choice seems to result in death ... :(

silva1991

How do I get past
the second ringu dark haired water monster, now without the submarine
? I am at a small platform with a chain above it that can be climbed and moved back and forth a small distance by pressing a button. Every choice seems to result in death ... :(

Hang by the end of the chain so that your feet touch the water and the monster will follow you. when the chain stops climb it so that the monster won't follow you back

now that the monster is far you have a chance to run away.

krainert

Neo Member
Poor value? You base a game, movie, books, etc.. Based on the time it takes to finish them?
It's definitely a factor; if someone can enjoy something to the same degree for twice as long, I'd say it's twice as good. If your favorite game had half the content/length, wouldn't it be worse for it?

Don't buy it then?
I'm curious about the opinions of other people here on the matter, and whether I'm missing something. I take it you enjoyed the game?

A new bluray/digital movie costs 20 €.
Hm, that's a really good point. I guess I just got used to Netflix and cinemas on the movie front.

On a side note, Blurays/DVDs seem more like films' equivalents of collector's editions, what with the physical copy, extra content, and appeal to re-watching.

Ill never understand trying to equate a monetary value when it comes to justify buying a game. Just can't get into that mindset at all. Especially when it's something like this and a close knit team have dedicated 6 years of their life to try and make it.

Is their work and effort worth £15.99? What a weird question.

Brakara

Ill never understand trying to equate a monetary value when it comes to justify buying a game. Just can't get into that mindset at all. Especially when it's something like this and a close knit team have dedicated 6 years of their life to try and make it.

I dunno. I think it's still a fair question since many people have limited budgets. But if someone loved Limbo and was hyped for this, I don't understand how they would balk at this price. Games like this are rare.

krainert

Neo Member
I'm not sure I see what you're arguing here. Are you saying the prices of games are irrelevant or arbitrary, or that they should strictly reflect the expenses of the developer?

That's not the question I asked, but I don't think it's a weird question at all; if you want to get paid for what you do, of course someone will evaluate its worth, and I doubt the talented folks at Playdead, dedicated as they are, would be willing or capable of working six years for free. I wouldn't.

gamz

I'm not sure I see what you're arguing here. Are you saying the prices of games are irrelevant or arbitrary, or that they should strictly reflect the expenses of the developer?

That's not the question I asked, but I don't think it's a weird question at all; if you want to get paid for what you do, of course someone will evaluate its worth, and I doubt the talented folks at Playdead, dedicated as they are, would be willing or capable of working six years for free. I wouldn't.

Dude, have you played and liked Limbo? If yes then what are you questioning? It's not like it's getting mixed reviews or anything.

d00d3n

Hang by the end of the chain so that your feet touch the water and the monster will follow you. when the chain stops climb it so that the monster won't follow you back

now that the monster is far you have a chance to run away.

Thanks!

SilentRob

It's definitely a factor; if someone can enjoy something to the same degree for twice as long, I'd say it's twice as good. If your favorite game had half the content/length, wouldn't it be worse for it?

There are a lot of problems with that argument. First: You are just comparing "amount of content", like that is some kind of comparable metric. A video game's worth doesn't definite itself by the amount of time it manages to keep me busy. I don't just play video games to not be bored for the most amound of time. I want them to make me feel something. I want to get something out of them, I want to feel better after playing them than I did before.

INSIDE would not be a better game if it would be longer. Everything in it is built around a very certain story arc and atmosphere that goes hand in hand with its length. You are ignoring all of this by simply judging a game's worth by "amount of content".

I'm curious about the opinions of other people here on the matter, and whether I'm missing something. I take it you enjoyed the game?

Hm, that's a really good point. I guess I just got used to Netflix and cinemas on the movie front.

On a side note, Blurays/DVDs seem more like films' equivalents of collector's editions, what with the physical copy, extra content, and appeal to re-watching.
Enjoyment and quality isn't a binary logarithmic thing. Longer doesn't always equal better. Sometimes less is more. Concise pacing, a lean experience wth zero filler or fluff, a game that doesn't recycle and is constantly moving, mirror-sheen polish are what a shorter game can bring to the table

Twice as long doesn't equal twice as good. Twice as long can feel too long, a slog, something that overstays its welcome. Twice as long can turn a great game into an okay game because it should have ended 10 hours ago and that interesting mechanic that felt unique and different for the first few hours ends up rote and stagnant and repetitive by the end

It's not the amount of content that matters, but the execution of the content. And Inside is absolute top-tier execution, a masterful exercise in tension and atmosphere, that almost always introduces new concepts rather than recycle old ones

I've been hyped for this game since forever, and I have a lot of respect for the creative and technical talent at Playdead, but now I'm finding myself hesitant to buy it on account of the pricing; am I the only one thinking 20 Euros is grossly overpriced for a game with only 3.5 hours of presumably linear and not particularly replayable content? I know Limbo was extremely polished, and I've no doubt Inside is as well, but the same price could buy so much more equally polished content in another game. Honestly I'm surprised; given the amount of development time Playdead invested into the project, I was expecting at least twice the length, analogous to the evolution from Portal to Portal 2.

I stopped basing my game purchases on length a long time ago (Edit - Actually, this isn't entirely true. I'm far more likely to skip a bloated game than a lean, well-paced one).

For what INSIDE is trying to accomplish, a 3 hour duration is perfect.

psychotron

This game is giving me feels I haven't had while playing a game in years. Absolutely magical game. I'm going back and forth between this and Witcher 3, which are both masterpieces.

krainert

Neo Member
Dude, have you played and liked Limbo? If yes then what are you questioning? It's not like it's getting mixed reviews or anything.
I'm curious for two reasons: 1) making games for a living myself, I'm interested to hear other people's thoughts on the pricing, and 2) there are so many games I own and want to play, don't yet own but want to try, or feel like I should familiarize myself with to stay informed, and I can't possibly afford or find the time to play all of them.

There are a lot of problems with that argument. First: You are just comparing "amount of content", like that is some kind of comparable metric. A video game's worth doesn't definite itself by the amount of time it manages to keep me busy. I don't just play video games to not be bored for the most amound of time. I want them to make me feel something. I want to get something out of them, I want to feel better after playing them than I did before.
Admittedly, content is hard (impossible?) to measure, but in this case I meant by it an abstraction of the duration for which the game can be enjoyed at its best, a sort of indicator of the longevity of the experience.
However, I didn't mean to suggest that the sole quality of games is the duration for which they can keep one preoccupied, but merely that more of something good is still an improvement, as long as it doesn't serve to deteriorate the overall quality. If Super Meat Boy or Mario Kart 8 had half their respective amounts of courses, they would be worse games due to their lessened lasting appeals. The "length" of a game is by no means a singular factor of quality but an aspect of it.

INSIDE would not be a better game if it would be longer. Everything in it is built around a very certain story arc and atmosphere that goes hand in hand with its length. You are ignoring all of this by simply judging a game's worth by "amount of content".
I think I'd have to play it to completely follow your argument here, but I can appreciate that a particular kind of story or atmosphere can lend itself to particular duration. I think it's actually pretty common for stories, particularly in movies and story-heavy games, to be too long in the sense that it drafs out and worsens the experience. Is the story really that important in Inside, though? I remember it being sufficiently abstract in Limbo for the game to take on virtually any length, although the simplicity of the mechanics in that game might have made it stale if it were any longer.

Regardless, I think I may have spotted the root of our divergent opinions on the worth of Inside: I seem to have neglected a factor of uniqueness in the experience of the game which renders it worthwhile even if other games that are equally engaging are "cheaper" compared to the duration of the experience; Arkham Knight or The Binding of Isaac may have been equally thrilling to me for a longer time at the same price as Inside, but Inside may be a different kind of "thrilling", offering a particular sense of atmosphere and experience from either, and in a way which no other game does as good. Does that make any sense?

I'll read that, cheers!

I've paid X amount to go and look at a painting for 5 minutes.

It's not about the time it took to look at it, it's about the experience of looking at it.

Also, this opinion piece aligns with what a few here have said. http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/why-playdead-s-inside-is-massively-overhyped
Seems to boil down to 1) trial & error 2) puzzles arent that hard 3) not satisfied with the story

Of course massively overrated implies that the impressions of Inside aren't/can't be genuine. Since saying something is overrated is putting your perspective first, "those reviews just aren't right because it wasn't that good to me".

danowat

Banned
It's pretty obvious a game is special when even those calling it "massively overhyped" concede that it's still a good game.
I don't think it was massively overhyped, it was critically well received, which is a very different thing.

I think the buzz about the game in general has been very low, wonder how the sales were?

d00d3n

I just completed the game. The amount of content felt almost perfect for this type of game imo. There was basically no repetitious content at all during the whole experience. I liked the twist for the last section of the game. Reminded me of the victory lap with the mech in the last section of Butcher Bay.

The secrets must be extremely well-hidden in the game. I took my time exploring the environments and got only one (very early in the game). Additionally, I am pretty sure that there is another one related to an elevator in the end of the game (just progressed with the story instead of experimenting with that).

I don't think it was massively overhyped, it was critically well received, which is a very different thing.

I think the buzz about the game in general has been very low, wonder how the sales were?
Honestly there was like zero hype at all. Hell, Playdead only ever released two trailers in six years and only have like 4 tweets on the Twitter page. Inside is like the antithesis of overhyped. It's practically the definition of the "let the game speak for itself" approach. No marketing campaign, minimal press coverage before release. Just give out press codes and let people play

It definitely hasn't been overhyped. The article's title you linked to is pretty hyberbolic, likely to encourage clicks.

nomis

To be fair, I've seen the same 'overhyped' line elsewhere too.

The way I view it, X% of the population are narcissists or sociopaths. I don't get mad when I see the odd "overhyped" (functionally useless word) thrown out there because I assume that it's coming from someone with a physical inability to not place their opinion at the top of the pile.

I'm probably often wrong and it just comes from people with a lack of vocabulary, but it helps me cope.

To be fair, I've seen the same 'overhyped' line elsewhere too.
One's perception of something being "overhyped", usually driven by their own subjective opinion and personal perspective, and something actually being overhyped aren't actually equal

The former tends to be shorthand for "I didn't like this or this wasn't as good as I had hoped, so I can't fathom how it can be so good for anyone else"

I think I'm going to snag this game. I was afraid it's gameplay looked too similar to Limbo and I wouldve liked something a bit more spiced up or different. After everyone talking it up in here though, I think I'll grab it today.

Surely if something is overhyped then that happens pre release when all we have to go on are what the creators decide to give us and how we choose to build our own expectations with what we know?

I would say Inside has been one of the least hyped games to come out for quite some time and I think that's exactly what Playdead wanted to achieve.

The buzz or hype the game 'now' has is down to the people that have actually played it, expressing their opinions.

Surely if something is overhyped then that happens pre release when all we have to go on are what the creators decide to give us and how we choose to build our own expectations with what we know?

I would say Inside has been one of the least hyped games to come out for quite some time and I think that's exactly what Playdead wanted to achieve.

The buzz or hype the game 'now' has is down to the people that have actually played it, expressing their opinions.
I agree this game didn't seem overhyped or anything. Maybe I live under a rock, but I didn't know about this game until last week.

danowat

Banned
To be blunt, I personally don't really care what anyone else, media or public, think of the game.

I thought it was a very poignant game, which i would deem, is it wasn't such a trope, as art.

As long as the development team get enough sales to allow them to produce another piece of work, I am happy.

jet1911

Honestly there was like zero hype at all. Hell, Playdead only ever released two trailers in six years and only have like 4 tweets on the Twitter page. Inside is like the antithesis of overhyped. It's practically the definition of the "let the game speak for itself" approach. No marketing campaign, minimal press coverage before release. Just give out press codes and let people play

sanstitrevjutp.jpg

sanstitred6uoy.png

Dat marketing and constant influx of informations!

pieface

Well my 4hours 30 mins with this game were absolutely far more enjoyable than the 2 hours I put into Quantum Break and hated it. Good value. This game was excellent.

Kazaam

I'll just copy here a few impressions I wrote down in the spoiler thread. First of all, I think this is a great game. As people previously mentioned, this game is on a whole other level from a (definitely and especially) sound design and visual point of view. That sound design is absolutely in constant top form with moments that are simply baffling. Personally though, if I have to think about the entire game and compare it, I prefer Limbo and that might have to do with the (still felt) long-lasting incredible impression that game left on me and also because of my already big expectations for Inside being pushed over the edge by reviews and people who have been talking about it as if it was the second coming (which for me proved to be a tiny bit overrated... but it's an understandable reaction with an experience like Inside in a medium that is drowned in non-unique experiences).

For some reason I also felt it was much much shorter than Limbo, even though How Long to Beat shows Inside as longer. Maybe it's because it really wasn't challenging at all and even though it was beautifully crafter it always managed to make me feel like I need to constantly press on without a moment of pause (and yes, we did do all collectibles... that was actually another disappointment for me as a huge Limbo fan). I also felt like Limbo had a bit more environmental diversity. There's no doubt the environments in this game are crafted in a masterful way, it just felt for me that it never reached that absolutely incredible atmosphere from the beginning of the game again. But the game is definitely unique and beautiful and I would recommend it to everyone and I have to give another shoutout to Playdead because they are such masters of their craft. They will always have me as a supporter, fan and customer.

While this game is not in my top list for GOTY as I see that's a big metric for neogaf (and for that matter I don't think The Witness will be dethroned, but I can't wait to be proven wrong) and while I'm sure Inside isn't for everyone, I believe that experiencing it won't hurt anyone. It might be eye-opening, entertaining, or at least uniquely curious.

T.O.P

Banned
I'm only halfway through the game and yet I can't really remember a game with such a heavy and suffocating atmosphere as this one, maybe Silent Hill 2

Holy shit

TheYanger

Is that really comparable, though? A night out or going to the cinema are social occasions and outside of the home. Of course this is subjective, but personally I'm willing to sink more money into that. I think more apt comparisons are other media for personal home consumption (video games, shows, books), and compared against those, Inside still strikes me as a poor value proposition. That being said, I must agree that in this case it might be worth the extra bucks, simply because I expect the game to be inspirational beyond most titles.

I mean, yes? you're basing this on time spent. Shit, 60 dollar games that are 3 times the length of Inside (11 hours?) are not abnormal either.

krainert

Neo Member
Isn't Doom 11-12 hours? People don't seem to have any issue with the price of that game.

I mean, yes? you're basing this on time spent. Shit, 60 dollar games that are 3 times the length of Inside (11 hours?) are not abnormal either.

Yep, Doom's normal price here is 60 Euros, but it was also, like most AAA games, quickly discounted: currently, it's 35 Euros on Steam on account of the summer sale. But then, I probably just got used to paying less for games because I rarely buy any large games until they're heavily discounted.

In terms of comparability, I was thinking that people have so vastly different priorities that we should probably at least stick to a particular genre of entertainment/media if we want to retain any chance of insight. But in any case, I yield: if one is into Inside (or Limbo for that matter) for it's particular atmospheric and emotional qualities, I can see how that merits paying 20 Euros for a fairly short experience, simply because these games are uniquely brilliant in those regards. I suppose it really just comes down to what you're pursuing: games-as-entertainment (where do I get most fun for my money?) versus games-as-art (where do I get the most emotionally or thought-provoking experience?).

(And for the record, I probably will end up buying Inside at launch price since now I'm even more curious to see what it's like.)

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Just finished this.

Breathtaking experience of a game.

Just wish I knew
what any of it means. Then again, maybe that's the point. Also, alternative title: Akira, the videogame.

Ha, I searched this thread for
Akira
Gaf never disappoints.

Yep, Doom's normal price here is 60 Euros, but it was also, like most AAA games, quickly discounted: currently, it's 35 Euros on Steam on account of the summer sale. But then, I probably just got used to paying less for games because I rarely buy any large games until they're heavily discounted.

In terms of comparability, I was thinking that people have so vastly different priorities that we should probably at least stick to a particular genre of entertainment/media if we want to retain any chance of insight. But in any case, I yield: if one is into Inside (or Limbo for that matter) for it's particular atmospheric and emotional qualities, I can see how that merits paying 20 Euros for a fairly short experience, simply because these games are uniquely brilliant in those regards. I suppose it really just comes down to what you're pursuing: games-as-entertainment (where do I get most fun for my money?) versus games-as-art (where do I get the most emotionally or thought-provoking experience?).
You're thinking of it as a if-or scenario. A game can be both. Fun is an amorphous subjective thing. A 3.5 hour finely-polished cinematic platfomer can be just as fun as Doom's old school action or Witness's puzzles. Although I wouldn't exactly call Inside "fun". It's engaging and compelling, but its bleak, oppressive, tense, eerie atmosphere and world isn't a fun place.

JonnyKong

I really hope we don't have to wait another 6 years for their next game. God only knows what kind of console that will be coming out on!

Just finished, much like Limbo (but on another level in terms of scale and ambition!) this was haunting, beautiful, surreal and will stay with me for some time. Didn't get much collectibles so will likely start another playthrough tomorrow, really interested in how the early part of the game is in terms of things I missed possibly related to the end.

Nearly every frame in this game seems meticulously crafted, the controls are perfect. Sound design is phenomenal.

Very hard to criticise - only thing I can say is it has to be played late in the dark with headphones on to get the full experience IMO.

Outstanding.

I'm not necessarily against 'try-and-die', but I don't like the pairing of it in this game with such harsh timing. I would say TnD can be better, when it's not 'miss by 1% and you lose', as this game feels most of the time.

I can see how some people can enjoy it. I just don't.

I just hit a perfect example of why I really hate this style of game. I'll encase it in spoiler tags to be safe...

Just encountered the underwater long-hair girl while I'm in the sub

I actually learned that she won't attack when the spot light is on her. Cool. I go along, keeping the light on her so she stays away. I see I need to break out through some boards above. So I charge up, and shoot upwards. The boards partially break, and I bounce back downwards. Turns out that powers down the spot-light for several seconds, and she attacks and kills me.

How was I supposed to know the light would go off? Through no fault of my own, I am punished -- with death. I don't find this masochism fun.

Other games might tutorialize that a bit -- have a spot where I need to hop over a object blocking the path. The girl would have to jump over too, and thus I would be safe during that period -- and would learn that after a charge/boost that the light powers down for a few seconds.

Instead, Inside just straight up kills me, as if I should have known that mechanic existed. I simply don't see how I should feel good about that.

Edit: Having found the actual solution, turns out the light only goes out at when hitting a hard surface and not breaking through. So I would would have had to know that it would take multiple blows to break through those boards to not die. Being punished for not having information I would not reasonably have it just not fun.
Perhaps I'm mis remembering, but I think the part with
the cracked wall that has an inside iron structure, that you have to hit with the sub, then pass with the boy
comes before that? So even if you didn't hit anything by accident in that point you are forced to learn the consequence of
ramming a solid object

SlickVic

I imagine it'll do pretty well over time sales wise. It sounds like the game will probably end up on most platforms eventually just like Limbo. Good word of mouth and reviews will certainly help keep the sales going.

Top Bottom