• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

Alienfan

Was that mechanic not already explained?, wasn't there a section before it that you used the sub to smash through some things?, it was clear than that if you hit something the sub powered down for a few seconds.
yeah you're right there was. It wasn't made super clear, but that's kind of the beauty of it, you needed to be observant and have noticed everytime you had previously smashed into something your submarine's lights would flicker off and the engines momentarily stop.

danowat

Banned
yeah you're right there was. It wasn't made super clear, but that's kind of the beauty of it, you needed to be observant and have noticed everytime you had previously smashed into something your submarine's lights would flicker off and the engines momentarily stop.

Indeed, it wasn't laid out on a silver plate for you, but there were subtle (and not so subtle) clues if you paid close attention.

Infact some posters bemoaned the fact the game was too easy.....

I'm not necessarily against 'try-and-die', but I don't like the pairing of it in this game with such harsh timing. I would say TnD can be better, when it's not 'miss by 1% and you lose', as this game feels most of the time.

I can see how some people can enjoy it. I just don't.

I just hit a perfect example of why I really hate this style of game. I'll encase it in spoiler tags to be safe...

Just encountered the underwater long-hair girl while I'm in the sub

I actually learned that she won't attack when the spot light is on her. Cool. I go along, keeping the light on her so she stays away. I see I need to break out through some boards above. So I charge up, and shoot upwards. The boards partially break, and I bounce back downwards. Turns out that powers down the spot-light for several seconds, and she attacks and kills me.

How was I supposed to know the light would go off? Through no fault of my own, I am punished -- with death. I don't find this masochism fun.

Other games might tutorialize that a bit -- have a spot where I need to hop over a object blocking the path. The girl would have to jump over too, and thus I would be safe during that period -- and would learn that after a charge/boost that the light powers down for a few seconds.

Instead, Inside just straight up kills me, as if I should have known that mechanic existed. I simply don't see how I should feel good about that.

Edit: Having found the actual solution, turns out the light only goes out at when hitting a hard surface and not breaking through. So I would would have had to know that it would take multiple blows to break through those boards to not die. Being punished for not having information I would not reasonably have it just not fun.

I can kind of understand where you're coming from, but I can also say that I don't mind the way Inside handles this approach

Inside, Rayman Origins/Legends and Super Meat Boy all come to mind when I think of examples for this style of trial and error. All of the games I mentioned above have only seconds between an obstacle you couldn't predict and getting another go at things. It's when a lesson like that comes and I'm forced to backtrack or perform a series of repetitive tasks that I'm against this approach.

I'm not necessarily against 'try-and-die', but I don't like the pairing of it in this game with such harsh timing. I would say TnD can be better, when it's not 'miss by 1% and you lose', as this game feels most of the time.

I just hit a perfect example of why I really hate this style of game. I'll encase it in spoiler tags to be safe...

I actually learned that she won't attack when the spot light is on her. Cool. I go along, keeping the light on her so she stays away. I see I need to break out through some boards above. So I charge up, and shoot upwards. The boards partially break, and I bounce back downwards. Turns out that powers down the spot-light for several seconds, and she attacks and kills me.

How was I supposed to know the light would go off? Through no fault of my own, I am punished -- with death. I don't find this masochism fun.

Other games might tutorialize that a bit -- have a spot where I need to hop over a object blocking the path. The girl would have to jump over too, and thus I would be safe during that period -- and would learn that after a charge/boost that the light powers down for a few seconds.

Instead, Inside just straight up kills me, as if I should have known that mechanic existed. I simply don't see how I should feel good about that.

Edit: Having found the actual solution, turns out the light only goes out at when hitting a hard surface and not breaking through. So I would would have had to know that it would take multiple blows to break through those boards to not die. Being punished for not having information I would not reasonably have it just not fun.
Now you know, through gameplay. You learned what to do through observation and why you died the first time.

It doesn't kill you as if you supposed to know about the mechanic. You dying is part of learning the mechanics. Thinking about it as a punishment might be a hard mindset to shake, but you have to think of it as part of the pacing, world-building, and atmosphere rather than failure.

It's not being punished for not having information; it's putting the onus on you to observe and experiment to gather needed information and realize that aha moment of knowing what to do

Sounds like it worked perfectly, since you learned what to do and how to progress

When I hit this part, I died twice while learning that the light keeps the creature away, but when I got through the gate and saw that I need to break the wood, I knew it would be a situation where I would need to time it properly (I knew about the light going out from earlier) - so I was able to get through that part without dying.

When I look back at the times where I died, I feel like in most cases you (as the player) have enough information (even if it's not front and center) to pass all the puzzles without dying. The puzzles in the game really build on themselves, later ones taking learning's from earlier ones. And I do think playing Limbo is a great primer for the types of puzzles in this game - it definitely feels like they were from the mind of the same designer(s).

...Thinking about it as a punishment might be a hard mindset to shake, but you have to think of it as part of the pacing, world-building, and atmosphere rather than failure.

It's not being punished for not having information; it's putting the onus on you to observe and experiment to gather needed information and realize that aha moment of knowing what to do

Sounds like it worked perfectly, since you learned what to do and how to progress

I think you are right about it being related to mindset. Having gotten to the next area, I've found some really interesting/new mechanics, that the game actually does a good job of teaching you without the use of a 'tutorial death'.

In my mind(set), 'death' == 'failure'. It's the only fail state. Whereas I tend to see every death as a punishment, I need to try to get to the state where I see a death as a learning experience. In the case in the spoiler tags in my previous post, through death I learned a mechanic that likely will be used again. I learned something that will be useful later in the game to avoid deaths.

That said though, there are too many cases where there is no value to the deaths beyond the current puzzle. How many times have there been situations where dogs/people chase you, and all you learn from death is that your last particular tactic doesn't work in that situation? There's no long-term value in that knowledge. You already knew dogs/people were faster than you -- you just didn't know there was a second ramp from the background ahead they would just go down instead and catch you.

I'm OK with deaths being learning experiences for mechanics/general tactics -- I really hate the worthless deaths just because you went down a dead end path in a maze. Turns out the turning right was the correct choice -- how were you to know?

Zach

I don't think the game was ever unfair, honestly. Not to say most people won't die -- and I think most people enjoy the "aaah, got me!" aspect of dying. But as long as the reason for the death was obvious and easily remedied on the next attempt, I don't see why it's a problem. I think only the hyper aware could play through the game for the first time unscathed. If you're not paying enough attention, or aren't quick enough on the draw, that's on you.

That's my opinion based on my playthrough, at least.

Sanjuro

I think you are right about it being related to mindset. Having gotten to the next area, I've found some really interesting/new mechanics, that the game actually does a good job of teaching you without the use of a 'tutorial death'.

In my mind(set), 'death' == 'failure'. It's the only fail state. Whereas I tend to see every death as a punishment, I need to try to get to the state where I see a death as a learning experience. In the case in the spoiler tags in my previous post, through death I learned a mechanic that likely will be used again. I learned something that will be useful later in the game to avoid deaths.

That said though, there are too many cases where there is no value to the deaths beyond the current puzzle. How many times have there been situations where dogs/people chase you, and all you learn from death is that your last particular tactic doesn't work in that situation? There's no long-term value in that knowledge. You already knew dogs/people were faster than you -- you just didn't know there was a second ramp from the background ahead they would just go down instead and catch you.

I'm OK with deaths being learning experiences for mechanics/general tactics -- I really hate the worthless deaths just because you went down a dead end path in a maze. Turns out the turning right was the correct choice -- how were you to know?

The variation of death is a part of the experience. There were several times where I completed an objective, only to backtrack and view a glorious death.

The way the checkpoint / save system that is used in this game should be a reference to a variety of game developers.

d00d3n

Fantastic game! Feels slightly less trial and error-y than Limbo, but that may be because I learned all the lessons from that game I guess. I didn't think that they would be able to match the giant spider from Limbo in creepiness, but
the spring loaded spears that they shoot at you when you end up in their spotlights
the brutal dogs
and
the Ringu long haired water monsters
come damn close.

I had to take a break from the game because it was so intense. From
the second encounter with the Ringu water monsters, outside of the submarine this time!
, how much do I have left of the game?

Nowise10

Okay guys who beat the game, I need help at a part. Literally can't figure it.

I'm in the submarine, and the girl is chasing me in the water. There is spot in the cieling with planks that you need to break, but when you hit them, your light shuts off momentarily, so you cant stop the girl. How do I get past this part? She keeps getting me when the light shuts off

shiba5

Okay guys who beat the game, I need help at a part. Literally can't figure it.

I'm in the submarine, and the girl is chasing me in the water. There is spot in the cieling with planks that you need to break, but when you hit them, your light shuts off momentarily, so you cant stop the girl. How do I get past this part? She keeps getting me when the light shuts off

There's a plank holding the metal door open. Hit it and trap her outside.

SilentRob

I think I'm the only person on this planet who wasn't blown away by this game. It's a really good game. But it also felt a lot like Limbo 2 to me. From the atmosphere to the puzzles everything felt like kind of a rehash. Not a bad one, not at all - a great one, even! But it still doesn't come close to the utter disbelief I felt while playing Limbo. It was something new, something I never would have expected, something I didn't know I wanted. This is "just" more of that. And I think I just hoped for something more...substantial, unmissable, new after 6 years.

I think I'm the only person on this planet who wasn't blown away by this game. It's a really good game. But it also felt a lot like Limbo 2 to me. From the atmosphere to the puzzles everything felt like kind of a rehash. Not a bad one, not at all - a great one, even! But it still doesn't come close to the utter disbelief I felt while playing Limbo. It was something new, something I never would have expected, something I didn't know I wanted. This is "just" more of that. And I think I just hoped for something more...substantial, unmissable, new after 6 years.

Well yeah, it's essentially Limbo's spiritual successor. It does everything that game did, just a whole lot better.

Also, it's incredibly obvious why this took six years to make. It's polished to perfection. Not a single second is wasted. Because of this, it's essentially a "perfect" game. I genuinely cannot think of anything Playdead could have done to make it better.

TheYanger

Fantastic game! Feels slightly less trial and error-y than Limbo, but that may be because I learned all the lessons from that game I guess. I didn't think that they would be able to match the giant spider from Limbo in creepiness, but
the spring loaded spears that they shoot at you when you end up in their spotlights
the brutal dogs
and
the Ringu long haired water monsters
come damn close.

I had to take a break from the game because it was so intense. From
the second encounter with the Ringu water monsters, outside of the submarine this time!
, how much do I have left of the game?

Maybe an hour and a half? You're like 60-65% I'd say off the top of my head.

TheYanger

Things that you found impossible to see ahead of time, other people correctly saw ahead of time. Example:
The dog part with the 2 ramps you're talking about, I died there, but I knew it was coming before it happened. I jumped, I know how fast dogs are, as you surmised (that's the learning) and could SEE that I wasn't going to get far enough. I immediately started thinking about how I would get away from the dog, and by the time I realized it was too late. Flipside: My friend played the game the nextr day, and he immediately saw the dog in the background and hopped up, then went 'wait'' and hopped back down to lure the dog before going on. Because it makes sense within what you already know about dogs and how they tend to act. So, just because you thought it was cheap doesn't mean it wasn't something you could figure out the first time. Similarly the submarine lights ALWAYS flip off when you ram stuff, it wasn't new, it just didn't matter before that point.

Haven't played the game, but just interested in this trial and error, and death as punishment discussion ... I wonder if a harsh perception might develop from the juxtaposition of a strongly cinematic presentation, with constant death and dyings? Might they work in some way counter to each other? One pulls you in, while the other keeps reminding you that nothing's at stake and you're just kicking back with a control pad ...

Haven't played the game, but just interested in this trial and error, and death as punishment discussion ... I wonder if a harsh perception might develop from the juxtaposition of a strongly cinematic presentation, with constant death and dyings? Might they work in some way counter to each other? One pulls you in, while the other keeps reminding you that nothing's at stake and you're just kicking back with a control pad ...
Perhaps, but trial and error has been an element of cinematic platformers going back to Another World. Personally I find it more like world building than a tonal juxtaposition, because the deaths enforce the stark detached tone and brutal atmosphere. They're not just die-restart; the death animations are carefully crafted with purpose and a minimalist flair.

I.e. In the beginning,
your pursuers don't just grab you, cut to black, restart. They grab you, and then brutally strangle/suffocate you into submission, or drown you

Strootman

Just finished the 2nd playthrough. Amazing game. I have still lots of questions lol

Btw I think I counted 52 persons on the credits that worked on the game.

No not at all. It's a good game but aside from the style and weird end portion, I thought it was simply a good game. Nothing more or less. From an artistic and atmosphere angle, it's rather damn impressive, throw sound into the mix with that. Gameplay wise though, I honestly think Limbo blew me more away. Both games are cryptic as hell with the plot but when people were saying this one had a more defined ending. I say that's bull. I sat there wondering just wtf I played for three hours, I still feel that way. It'd a good wtf though but I'm in the camp of that this was very stylistic more so then impressive from a gameplay experience.

Sky Chief

Do you guys think that this would be playable on a Surface Book with an i7 and the dedicated GPU? I have a long flight tomorrow and was thinking of picking this up.

D'oh just saw it's not out until next week! Maybe I'll buy it for the way home :)

Nowise10

I just finished the game and the ending really surprised me,
because it didn't feel like the game actually ended. WTF was that ending. You fall out of a mountain as a giant meatball, that is it? When we were outside again i got excited because I was ready to do some puzzle work in the forest and lakes and whatnot as the meatball, then the credits just popped up.

Still, great game. Amazing atmosphere. I love Playdeads cryptic and creepy feelings they give their games, they are a developer like no other.

While playing the game I was amazed at how well the game telegraphs every danger to you. I never felt at any point surprised that I died or wondered why I died. The enviorment and certain ques always told me what to look out for. Most of the times I did die it felt like I just failed to solve that puzzle.

Oh except for
that tree branch in the beginning I tripped over. Theres junk everywhere! How would I have known?

But only there!

While playing the game I was amazed at how well the game telegraphs every danger to you. I never felt at any point surprised that I died or wondered why I died. The enviorment and certain ques always told me what to look out for. Most of the times I did die it felt like I just failed to solve that puzzle.

Oh except for
that tree branch in the beginning I tripped over. Theres junk everywhere! How would I have known?

But only there!
I loved that little moment. It was such a little thing, but such an great early "oh shit" moment.

Lima

ToMjGpnXBTw7vnokxhu.gif

That's about all I can muster up after playing through this game just now. Recommended to do it in one session for sure.

If you need spoilers to convince you to play the game you're better off just watching a youtube video. It's probably not for you.

It's better to watch? I haven't gotten that impression at all!

Please let us know what you wanted them to say.

I'm not doing their job for them. Haven't read a half convincing review of this yet. If they're too lazy to do their jobs, I shouldn't have to tell them how. I have real work to do and can give you a better answer once I've finished it.

I can't wait to get through this.

silva1991

Just finished it

good game, but very short and
unsatisfying ending and nothing is explained
and I don't know what
purpose does the boy have in the game(he runs form everything and in the end instead of continuing to flee he decides to save what ever that thing is and nothing is explained).
I give it a 8/10 or less.

krainert

Neo Member
I've been hyped for this game since forever, and I have a lot of respect for the creative and technical talent at Playdead, but now I'm finding myself hesitant to buy it on account of the pricing; am I the only one thinking 20 Euros is grossly overpriced for a game with only 3.5 hours of presumably linear and not particularly replayable content? I know Limbo was extremely polished, and I've no doubt Inside is as well, but the same price could buy so much more equally polished content in another game. Honestly I'm surprised; given the amount of development time Playdead invested into the project, I was expecting at least twice the length, analogous to the evolution from Portal to Portal 2.

gamz

I've been hyped for this game since forever, and I have a lot of respect for the creative and technical talent at Playdead, but now I'm finding myself hesitant to buy it on account of the pricing; am I the only one thinking 20 Euros is grossly overpriced for a game with only 3.5 hours of presumably linear and not particularly replayable content? I know Limbo was extremely polished, and I've no doubt Inside is as well, but the same price could buy so much more equally polished content in another game. Honestly I'm surprised; given the amount of development time Playdead invested into the project, I was expecting at least twice the length, analogous to the evolution from Portal to Portal 2.

20 bucks? No. I spend that on a night out to the movies.

krainert

Neo Member
20 bucks? No. I spend that on a night out to the movies.
Is that really comparable, though? A night out or going to the cinema are social occasions and outside of the home. Of course this is subjective, but personally I'm willing to sink more money into that. I think more apt comparisons are other media for personal home consumption (video games, shows, books), and compared against those, Inside still strikes me as a poor value proposition. That being said, I must agree that in this case it might be worth the extra bucks, simply because I expect the game to be inspirational beyond most titles.

gamz

Is that really comparable, though? A night out or going to the cinema are social occasions and outside of the home. Of course this is subjective, but personally I'm willing to sink more money into that. I think more apt comparisons are other media for personal home consumption (video games, shows, books), and compared against those, Inside still strikes me as a poor value proposition. That being said, I must agree that in this case it might be worth the extra bucks, simply because I expect the game to be inspirational beyond most titles.

Poor value? You base a game, movie, books, etc.. Based on the time it takes to finish them?

You have to re-calibrate your thinking man.

Edit: My night out to the movies is usually by myself. So it's not a social event for me. I just want to see the movie is all.

danowat

Banned
Don't buy it then?

TheKeyPit

Banned

A new bluray/digital movie costs 20 €.

------

My console is downloading the whole game again? Patch?

Top Bottom