• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

They all do?

Because it's a very well realized puzzle platformer wtih an insane atmosphere and story, they all say they don't want to give EXAMPLES because that's different, and would actively harm the experience.
Somehow this is unique to game reviewers.

Cut it out and write.

I think calling it a puzzle platformer does the game a disservice. A puzzle platformer is something like Braid; the puzzles are the driving force of the levels, your sole goal is to parse out the puzzles and solve them

This is a cinematic platformer; the puzzles are integrated with the environment and world, and are often just natural extensions of you figuring out how to get through/survive an area

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Just finished it. That was pretty fucking amazing.

If you have an XB1 and a PC, I'd say just go for the XB1 version if you're dying to play this game right now. If you're patient, then go for the PC. Although I can't see much they would do where a high powered PC would significantly improve the experience. It's very minimalist in it's design.

My god that was fantastic.

If you need spoilers to convince you to play the game you're better off just watching a youtube video. It's probably not for you.
It's not for me because nobody can tell me why it is?

I know it's for me because I've played it. Think reviewers should do their jobs also.

danowat

Banned
OK, so it gets really really bizarre towards the end!!!

I know it's for me because I've played it. Think reviewers should do their jobs also.

If you have even a passing interest in puzzle platformers get it, it's much better game if you go in blind.

TheYanger

If reviewers spoiled the games specific puzzles and 'whoa' moments, it would be doing the opposite, it would actively be a disservice to the players of the games that they're recommending people play.

That's like asking movie reviewers to write out why the sixth sense was so good. Some games aren't going to be negatively impacted by explaining specifics, some are. This is one of those.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

All the reviews I read say that it is a fantastic looking game and plays very well. They generally said that the puzzles were well designed give or take, but they were generally enjoyable. They also said that the story beats are what really make the game phenomenal and that you should experience them yourself.

Please let us know what you wanted them to say.

Alienfan

Need some help (spoilers for those who haven't finished)

I'm doing the human katamari level and I'm stuck in the room with a box, fire and a sprinkler. I've activated the sprinkler, but it didn't really do much

Orca

Need some help (spoilers for those who haven't finished)

I'm doing the human katamari level and I'm stuck in the room with a box, fire and a sprinkler. I've activated the sprinkler, but it didn't really do much

Light the crate on fire, throw it over the sprinklers and catch it, then into the big opening at the end.

What are they supposed to tell you? Reviews I've seen have described the game's mechanics and laid out the basics of what you'll be up against. Specifics are avoided to avoid spoiling the experience. Did you whine about movie reviewers not spoiling Sixth Sense for everyone?

danowat

Banned
Saw something like that on my YT feed but was too scared to keep my eyes on the thumbnail because of spoilers lol

I think I am quite close to the end, so near end spoilers.

I am "the blob" (which is mental BTW) and I have just done the bit with the 3 dogs and the log that raises the scissor lift, how long have I got left?

Also, does anyone know any technical specs behind the engine?, is the lighting volumetric?, are the particles physics based?

I think that because the game is mostly monochrome, it belies just how technically good it looks, there are so many excellent little details, and graphically, although subtle, it's really accomplished.

I also want to say the sense of "terror motivation" is probably the best I've seen in a game,
The times you are running from the dogs, or the underwater witch / mermaid monster are genuinely scary
it seems to manage to be scary (or maybe oppressive?) without sinking to the usual gaming horror tropes.

In terms of it being GOTY, or 10/10, I'll be honest, It was maybe an 8/10 for me, until
I changed into the blob
then I thought, this is clearly something special.

Just finished it. Definitely easier than Limbo. This game was definitely trying to be more of an experience than a full blown puzzle game. All in all it isn't definitely one of the most unique experiences I've ever had with a game. I still don't know how I feel about the ending , but the other 99% of the game is pure brilliance.

golem

I think I am quite close to the end, so near end spoilers.

I am "the blob" (which is mental BTW) and I have just done the bit with the 3 dogs and the log that raises the scissor lift, how long have I got left?

Also, does anyone know any technical specs behind the engine?, is the lighting volumetric?, are the particles physics based?

You're very close to the end. The engine is Unity according to the credits.

Jennings

Bought it. Finished it in one short sitting. I want my money back. I wish I would have waited and purchased this on Steam so I could have gotten a refund.

Jennings

Just out of curiosity, why?
There's no real game here. The puzzles are a joke, and except for the ones where you died only because it's a first encounter with an object/creature you don't understand, nearly all of them are met and completed in only one attempt. I would't even call most of these puzzles, so much as "interact with object to go forward."

Finished it.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Incredible game and an incredible experience. Think this might be one of my favourite games ever, everything about it is just so polished and refined.

Cant speak highly enough about this game or Playdead themselves. I will buy anything they put out Day One, even if I need to wait 6 years to see what that might be :)

danowat

Banned
There's no real game here. The puzzles are a joke, and except for the ones where you died only because it's a first encounter with an object/creature you don't understand, nearly all of them are met and completed in only one attempt. I would't even call most of these puzzles, so much as "interact with object to go forward."

That's a pretty damning indictment of what I thought was a very good game, but it's your opinion.

Maybe I am dumb, but there were quite a few head scratchers for me, and certainly didn't find the puzzles a joke, and neither did I think it was a "push stick to progress" type of game.

Did anybody else get some strong Ico vibes from this? I know the most direct comparison is Limbo, but for some reason this really reminds of like a dark/horror style Ico. Maybe it's the way the character moves, but whatever reminded me of the game also got me even more hyped for TLG.

RawNuts

You need hardcore games for hardcore gamers such as yourself.

But seriously, I'm guessing you didn't play Limbo so you didn't really know what to expect from this?

FrsDvl

Anyone that could help me out? I'm like halfway I think.

there are these big blasts, not sure what they are, but anyway if you get caught in a blast you get sent flying. Now the part where I am is this big thing going in circles, and you have to pull a lever to stop it, resulting in you being able to climb the stairs. But what am I supposed to do when I'm on the top of the stairs? I tried running further, but I always get caught in that blast

I'm probably missing something obvious..

danowat

Banned
Anyone that could help me out? I'm like halfway I think.

there are these big blasts, not sure what they are, but anyway if you get caught in a blast you get sent flying. Now the part where I am is this big thing going in circles, and you have to pull a lever to stop it, resulting in you being able to climb the stairs. But what am I supposed to do when I'm on the top of the stairs? I tried running further, but I always get caught in that blast

I'm probably missing something obvious..

Without trying to spoil the whole puzzle!!!

Don't stop it.

danowat

Banned
Sweet, thanks! I keep getting stuck on these silly things.

Yeah, some of them are a little tricky, that one had me scratching my head for a minute.

Be prepared for some more head scratchers, you'll know the ones I mean when you get there ;)

I think you missed the point of this game. It was worth every penny.

Inside isn't a puzzle platformer and it isn't trying to be. It's a cinematic platformer; trial & error and interacting with the environment to avoid/escape danger is the focus. Not hard complex puzzles. Perhaps you went into the game with the wrong mindset?

Lanrutcon

You completely missed the point of the game. It's not about the puzzles. If the game didn't fill you with genuine sense of "what the FUCK is going on here" then I don't know, man.

taoofjord

This kind of game isn't just about the gameplay, even though I think it was brilliantly designed, it's about the whole experience. It's certainly not for everyone though (and what an understatement that is, considering its themes and inspirations).

gamz

Bought it. Finished it in one short sitting. I want my money back. I wish I would have waited and purchased this on Steam so I could have gotten a refund.
You would play the whole game and then refund it? Do you ask for your money back when you don't like a movie?

taoofjord

You would pay the whole game and then refund it? Do you ask for your money back when you don't like a movie?

I was going to say the same thing but he may have only finished it because he couldn't refund it.

For the people who would try to get a refund for a game they finish or play a lot of, however, fuck that.

Done, that was good. I think I liked it better than Limbo. maybe I'll eventually play it again, to get the collectables that I missed. Although just like Limbo in my opinion this isn't a game that you really play through twice. It's more so an experience, than it is a game, and on a second run that experience won't come anywhere near as close to the first time playing it.

Hopefully we get another game like this six years from now !

I played through it twice yesterday. I think if picking apart the story interest you then you'll pick up on a lot of things you missed the first time through. I was also better able to appreciate the pacing and transition from one area to the next.

FrsDvl

Done, that was good. I think I liked it better than Limbo. maybe I'll eventually play it again, to get the collectables that I missed. Although just like Limbo in my opinion this isn't a game that you really play through twice. It's more so an experience, than it is a game, and on a second run that experience won't come anywhere near as close to the first time playing it.

Hopefully we get another game like this six years from now !

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just finished this... wow. like eco, this is one of those games/experiences that will stick with me forever.

Went into more details in the spoiler thread, but the opening here is a masterclass of tension and suspense. I'd argue what Sicario's Juarez convey and Game of Thrones' S6 finale were for movie and TV, this is for games. The way it instantly puts you in this urgent cautious mindset, the escalation of events, the way the lighting and the grim dark setting complement each other to both guide you and instill fear, how the contextual animations make you feel weak and small and just barely fast enough. It's an achievement when my own mindset and the character's actions onscreen are in sync due to the visual design, atmosphere, pacing, etc.

INSIDE is one amazing moment after another. I can't get this game out of my head. It might be the closest to a "perfect" game we've seen this generation. I can't think of a single thing that could be done to make it better.

INSIDE is one amazing moment after another. I can't get this game out of my head. It might be the closest to a "perfect" game we've seen this generation. I can't think of a single thing that could be done to make it better.

I'd argue of all time. At least in execution. There's nothing that comes across as if the team compromised or came up short with anything in their vision.

Half way through. Amazing so far. Seems like this would be really fun to play again after you had all the puzzle solutions down and could concentrate on the details in the environment.

Top Bottom