• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

Tsukumo

Absolutely blown away.
Greatest game I've played on XBone EVER.

- Magnificent art style. Every grabbed screenshot looks like a piece of artwork.
- Last part of the game had me both in disbelief and laughter. In many ways, breath-taking.

A bit longer pro, but I need to elaborate I guess.
One of the greatest moments I've ever had playing videogames was my first time on Ico.
I spent probably more than two hours trying to figure out how to get out of the castle, so the first time I entered an open area, with sunlight and an open view and flowers and grass I was taken away by the sense of freedom and relief. I never expected an action/adventure game to convey an emotion so poignant and so pure: coming from Jrpgs I always thought it to be impossible to deliver an engaging story without dialogue and lore.
Now, while I had countless elating, memorable moments playing videogames the only other time I have been as captivated as the moment I got out of the castle in Ico, was the final sequence of Limbo. The leap of faith, the safe embrace of gravity, the reunion: for someone who considers Waking Life one of his favourite movies of all time, I don't think even that movie with its two hour plus of running could have ever captured the essence of dreams in the same way the finale of Limbo does.
And while Limbo was really good, let's face it the second half was nothing but an average puzzle game with cool visuals.
So. From my persespective the ENTIRETY of Inside offers as much emotional impact as Limbo did with its finale. Not a single piece of it felt like just a puzzle to beef up the length of the game. From start to finish the game delivers raw, intense emotions of fear, amazement, wonder, and sadness, cumulating into what I guess I would consider the only chance anyone can ever have to literally play a dream.
Ten out of ten. Well worth the entire price.

Montresor

Okay, I've changed my avatar from Miranda Keyes to an Inside-related avatar. I still keep thinking about this game, days after beating it.

Ushay

Utterly amazing game. Can't be said enough, best I have experienced this year despite the short length.

Lima

I mean for people bitching about the price you can also just easily buy it from Russia on Xbox which works out to about $10 so half the price.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I mean for people bitching about the price you can also just easily buy it from Russia on Xbox which works out to about $10 so half the price.

I mean... I guess. It's worth the cost of admission imo. Give the devs some love for creating an outstanding game by buying what they think the game is worth in your region.

Tsosie

So I am interested in watching a full "let's play" of this game. The issue is that I do not really watch full playthroughs of games so I do not know where to start. Can I get some suggestions of people I may want to watch play through this game. To help narrow it down, I am not really into wild player antics. I am more interested in someone that would bring thoughtful commentary or no commentary to the playthrough.

Before people tell me to just play it; I do not have anot Xbox or a PC that will play this game.

I'm really hoping my older macbook can run this game at an acceptable quality. I absolutely loved Limbo and hearing all the effusive praise splashing around every corner of the internet about this is really driving a stake into my heart as someone without an Xbox or a good PC. It's real shitty when experiences like these are capped to smaller audiences due to marketing reasons. At least it's coming to PC.

Is this a Unity game? Anyone think I'd have an issue with this on a mid 2012 Retina Macbook (in Boot Camp)? I haven't trusted min - recommended specs for PC games on my macbook in years.

aravuus

PC release in less than 24 hours, right? Haven't read anything on the game other than the random super positive impressions, really excited to give it a try (and probably finish it on one sitting)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How long does it take to finish? I was waiting for the steam release but depending on the timing I might grab it on Xbox instead. But it's an 18 rated game so I need to consider when I'll be able to play as the Xbox is in the living room

danowat

Banned
How long does it take to finish? I was waiting for the steam release but depending on the timing I might grab it on Xbox instead. But it's an 18 rated game so I need to consider when I'll be able to play as the Xbox is in the living room
Between 3 and 3.5 hours.

d00d3n

About 3 hours for me, if I remember correctly. It depends on how often you get stuck I guess. I got stuck once during the whole experience.

ElNino

According the Game Hub I was slightly over 5 hours I think. I did get stuck at one point later in the game and decided to go to bed before coming back and trying again in the morning. Realised I was an idiot pretty quickly when I came back though.

Kinyou

Amazing how this game manages to have more cinematic gameplay than any of the bigshot games, especially with leaving you in control the entire time. Was seriously blown away by the finale

mrklaw

MrArseFace
steam is saying it'll unlock in approx 19 hours which seems very late - is this unlocking 9am PT or something? That's 5pm UK time so basically no chance to play it on thursday

edit: requested a refund - I'll buy it on Xbox one in the morning instead.

My game of the year.
10/10

Just perfect in every way and literally left me with my jaw dropping

I was close to 5.5 hours or so for my first play through. I have a total of 6 hours now, but that's because I started a new game. If I wasn't going for the mystery hunting it would have been 4 hours or so.

aravuus

Denuvo and the short length vs price are a bummer, but fuck it. There's been SO much praise that I can't in good conscience skip it. Just bought it, 4 hours to go.

danowat

Banned
How can I buy from the Russian store?

Pretty sure it's a simple as getting Russian prepaid codes, changing the region on the xbox one store webpage, redeeming prepaid code, and buying a game.

But you may also need to add a Russian address to your account on commerce.microsoft.com

You used to have to create a location account on your Xbox one, when you could use CC's or Paypal, but since they stopped people doing that, I think you can just use other locale prepaid codes without adding an account to your Xbox One.

If that's not correct, I am sure someone will say.

ldcommando

Banned
Few hours... Can anyone tell how demanding this game is for computer? Will it run on older PCs?

System Requirements
MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz, AMD FX 8120 @ 3.1 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GT 630 / 650m, AMD Radeon HD6570 or equivalent
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Storage: 3 GB available space
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel i7 920 @ 2.7 GHz, AMD Phenom II 945 @ 3.0 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 660, Radeon R9-270
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 3 GB available space
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Finished this for the second time. This game has such a great vision behind it. This is at the top of my GOTY contenders so far along with Overwatch.

Vintage

For those who played this and Limbo: how do they compare? I finished Limbo yesterday and found it really mediocre. Seeing that it has similar gameplay I'm afraid that shouldn't hype myself for Inside so much.

robotrock

Banned
For those who played this and Limbo: how do they compare? I finished Limbo yesterday and found it really mediocre. Seeing that it has similar gameplay I'm afraid that shouldn't hype myself for Inside so much.

This one is so much better in every way. I didn't like Limbo very much.

Limbo had that frequent cheap death puzzle stuff. This one doesn't have any of that.

Disagree with a lot of this but especially...

And yet despite this, there are long stretches of dreary repetition.

I read this thinking, did we play the same game? One of the best part of INSIDE is that very few tropes are repeated in the game. It's remarkably refreshing, where most puzzle games -- even heralded puzzlers like Portal -- introduce you to a concept and then have you use that concept for many hours, over and over, with slight variations. INSIDE doesn't do that. You get introduced to a concept, use it once or twice, and then it doesn't appear again.

There are several instances of puzzle tropes in this that just appear once and very, very rarely. This is very early and it's not a spoiler but just in case you absolutely want nothing about the game talked about (in which case I wonder how you'd read a review...):

• Early on you climb down a ladder and find you're trapped in a small ditch. The solution is to then take that ladder and tip it over and climb up the other side. You never do this again in the rest of the game as far as I know.
  • A monster chases you and you have to jump over it several times until it bashes its head and gets knocked out temporarily. Oh, you think, this is going to happen again and again! ... It never happens again.

There's much more but those are just two. These aren't really spoilers above.

The reviewer also has a grievance with the death animations being performed on "a little boy," but celebrates this in Limbo because it's a "shadow..." of a little boy. ...

Lima

How can there even be long stretches in a game that is only about 3 hours long/short. I'm confused.

The reviewer also has a grievance with the death animations being performed on "a little boy," but celebrates this in Limbo because it's a "shadow..." of a little boy. ...
I find the reaction to the deaths kind of funny. Like yes, that's exactly how you're supposed to feel. That's the game doing its job. If you're feeling unsettled and disturbed and uncomfortable by the stark brutal deaths, the game succeeded perfectly

Top Bottom