• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

GG-Duo

Can someone who loves Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssey comment on this game? It just seems like there are so many homages and yet it's not getting mentioned enough in the reviews I've read.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys, could I get a quick rough % progression estimate? I'm just curious roughly how long I have left in the game.

What I just did (spoiler obviously):

I just fell through the long elevator after the shockwave section

Thanks!

Hey guys, could I get a quick rough % progression estimate? I'm just curious roughly how long I have left in the game.

What I just did (spoiler obviously):

I just fell through the long elevator after the shockwave section

Thanks!
I think you're about 60%.
Also go to game hub on Xbox and check your exact progress in achievements tab. Or you can see how many chapters you've completed in load menu in game.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Finished it after ~3h45min. WTF... I don't know how to feel about what I just witnessed, but it boils down to one word I could think of at the end:
Freedom

Somehow I missed 5 of those hidden things. Guess I'll have to find those.

Samus4145

Stuck real early on in The Forest.

Crossing the river with the dog chasing after you is impossible. There doesn't seem to be any way for me to make it to the canyon to jump before getting chewed to bits. I've watched playthroughs and the dog is so much closer in my game than theirs. I don't get it.

Just finished it. Wow! These developers are something else. One of my all time gaming experiences
except I didn't love the very end
. Off to the spoiler thread.

Montresor

Stuck real early on in The Forest.

Crossing the river with the dog chasing after you is impossible. There doesn't seem to be any way for me to make it to the canyon to jump before getting chewed to bits. I've watched playthroughs and the dog is so much closer in my game than theirs. I don't get it.

Can you show us a video of your attempts? I remember that part being impossible to fail as long as you were always running to the right, but
designed to give you the illusion you are just about to fail, to maximize tension/fear

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Can someone who loves Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssey comment on this game? It just seems like there are so many homages and yet it's not getting mentioned enough in the reviews I've read.

You know, actually now that you mention it I do see a lot of Oddworld: AD in this game.

Hadn't thought of it since you mentioned it but there are certainly some undefinable similarities in gameplay and possibly in story.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Trying to not read anything in this thread..

Any issues with performance on any platforms? Figuring out where to buy it.

d00d3n

None that I noticed on xbone. Some aliasing was faintly visible some times during my playthrough, and would presumably be fixed with downsampling on PC, but other than that the xbone version was great.

Brakara

The PC version hasn't been released yet. But the Xbox version is pretty much flawless. It's like they spent an extra couple of years just making it perfect.

Ushay

Played about 2 hours of this last night. My goodness, what an amazing game. The atmosphere is truly sublime, and the sound design is just superb. Cannot wait to play more tonight. It looks incredible, no wonder they took so long to develop it.

Playdead have made masterpiece here. This is one of those games you play regardless of your tastes.

I'd say the XBO version is bordering on flawless.

I agree it's superb to look at it.

jet1911

Finished it last night. Went in without knowing anything about the game. It blew me away. It really is one of the best game of the year or even the last years. Amazing atmosphere, great art style and tech. Loved the puzzles too. They were simple enough that they did not stop the flow of the game. I never had to run around during 20 minutes because I couldn't figure what I was suppoed to do. The world design is fantastic, creepy and oppressive. That ending too. Holy shit. Glad I played it without reading anything about it.

TechJunk

You know, actually now that you mention it I do see a lot of Oddworld: AD in this game.

Hadn't thought of it since you mentioned it but there are certainly some undefinable similarities in gameplay and possibly in story.

That's all I was thinking about playing this game, some strong Abe vibes throughout .
Excellent, excellent game, my GOTY so far

iFirez

I've been away for the last week, got back last night and got this downloaded to my console. Going to play it tonight after work, planning to get it all done in one session - can't wait, I know literally nothing about it other than it's called Inside and is made by the guys who made Limbo (which I loved) CAN NOT WAIT!

is this a game with gameplay or a "cinematic experience"? haven't played limbo

If it's like Limbo, then it's a beautifully well designed side scroller with puzzle elements and an emphasis on figuring out how to traverse the world without being killed. It's very much a game you play and control - rather than just an 'experience'.

Zach

There was a time or two during puzzles where I thought "this reminds me of that Oddworld game..." :D

silva1991

is this a game with gameplay or a "cinematic experience"? haven't played limbo

Gameplay is simple

-move/run
-jump
-action button(activate-grab-push etc)

you use those to move through the game and solve puzzles

no loading screen the entire walkthrough.

I compare this game to stuff like Journey when it comes to overall experience.

RPS37

Stuck on chapter 14
with the green safe on the rope
Everything I keep trying keeps getting me killed. Could use a hint?

Trojan

What time does this game release on Steam? Thinking about ringing in the US holiday with a play session, but my work brain is telling me to fuck off.

RPS37

Push the safe off, start running back as soon as it starts to fall over, the timing is pretty tight.
Thanks. I eventually figured it out. I didn't think the two areas were connected.
Now I'm stuck on chapter 22
the two buttons and the room with the water
Figured it outs. Omg. I need to calm down.

dankir

Well the ending chapter sure surprised the fuck out of me.... I have to go back and find the rest of the Orbs.... is there another ending that kind of ummm...explains things?

Pretty interesting game, I never beat Limbo so I might have to go back and do that.

RPS37

I'm stuck again. I'm missing
4 zombies.
I assume you know where I'm at. I feel like I've been in all 6 areas and I can't find anymore.

4 zombies.
I assume you know where I'm at. I feel like I've been in all 6 areas and I can't find anymore.

I don't have the console atm so this might not be entirely accurate. The zombies are in:
Bottom level, far right, this will be the first time you take them
Mid level, far left, let the zombies pull the prison open with you
Top or mid level, somewhere in between I believe? There is a cage, you need to push the cage down below to break it.
Top level, to the far left, you need to solve a propeller puzzle.
The last one is special, go to the top level, far right, let the zombies throw you over the broken bridge, there is a dead body.

TheYanger

4 zombies.

Did you go
left past the giant cart? If not, it should only take you a moment to figure out how to get over there.

RPS37

Top level, to the far left, you need to solve a propeller puzzle. The last one is special, go to the top level, far right, let the zombies throw you over the broken bridge, there is a dead body.
propeller puzzle???
Hmm. I don't think I've done that yet. definitely found the
dead body
that's why I need four more.

Did you go
left past the giant cart? If not, it should only take you a moment to figure out how to get over there.
Yeah. Did that.

Looks like I did the
propeller puzzle
too. Damn. Which one am I missing?

EDIT: Found them! They were in the middle left area.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Interested! Enjoyed Limbo so this should be right up my alley

SlickVic

I think I'm roughly half way through
just finished the 'find 20 men' puzzle and the subsequent 'avoid the sonic booms of death' section
. I can see myself taking maybe a couple more sessions to finish it. It's certainly not the hardest puzzle game, but as someone not very good at puzzles to begin with, I definitely have to take my time to work out some of the solutions. I really like that the game doesn't have any on-screen prompts or instructions aimed specifically to the player. The controls are simple enough to figure out, and the challenge comes in figuring out the environment for clues in each puzzle.

The atmosphere of the game is certainly interesting. It's a tad creepy, a bit unsettling, all the while being completely mysterious as to what exactly is going on. I suspect I'll have to get to the game's ending to really appreciate everything that's happened (and perhaps a bit longer to digest it all), but definitely looking forward to seeing it through.

Vintage

Can't wait for Steam release. Never played Limbo, so today tried to buy it only to find out it's free :) Will try to beat it today.

Mdk7

I beat it yesterday in one single seat, and honestly... I don't know what to think.

I won't go too much into detail because I absolutely don't want to spoil the experience to anyone (seriously, if you feel like playing this game do not search for info, do not look at let's plays and do yourself a favor and abandon threads like this one, as you never know what you could read!), but I didn't really like it that much.

It's not that I disliked it either, it's not a bad game AT ALL, of course...
On the contrary, performance-wise, it's simply stunning: not even a single frame drop, a glitch, anything, ever. And it's terrific to look at, with a super moody atmosphere, stunning animations and a top-notch use of lighting. Also, the sound design is nothing but stellar in conveying the sense of isolation, menace, anxiety and so on. Seriously, Playdead nailed it.

That said, the abrupt and completely unexpected ending left me wondering what the fuck I played, and I can't help but feel that there's honestly little sense in there in the first place.
I mean, Inside is certainly a thought-provoking game, which is already saying something (as the average 2016 videogame isn't really demanding for your brain...), but honestly the more I think about it, the more I consider it along the lines of that weird modern art I really can't seem to understand, like those pretentious "piss in a bottle" installations you sometimes hear about, in which people seem to struggle to find obscure symbolism and interpretations that probably weren't even meant by the original author.
And that, to me is a bit... paraculo (I don't know how to say it in English, pardon me but it's an Italian expression that really suits this topic, LOL), because I sincerely doubt that Playdead really has an explanation for everything.

Sincerely, the impression I get is that they placed pretty random (and at times disjointed) elements here and there, waiting for someone else to fill the intentional void. Which is something that's perfectly reasonable of course, if not even clever, but that's not an approach I particularly like.
I'm still glad I played it, but again, I don't know if I liked it or not. Certainly it's not my GOTY or something, as I liked it (a lot) less than most of you guys.
And thank god I didn't have to write a review for this one, as the score would have created more than a few troubles to me (because I seriously have no idea of how I would rate this game with a number).

dLMN8R

(no spoilers ahead!)

I finished it yesterday, and I'm still digesting it today. All I know for sure is that it was well worth my $20, and it was one of the most expertly crafted and perfect executions of a crystal clear vision I've ever seen.

It's haunting, confusing, revealing, surprising, and unique. It's the type of art/entertainment where I feel empty after finishing it because I know it could be years before I play anything like it again.

It's like Limbo, but not really. Or at least not for long. And unlike Limbo, it has a thoroughly satisfying arc that doesn't end without me feeling like it shouldn't have ended yet. It has fun puzzles which don't over-stay their welcome, and occasionally make you feel like a genius. Watching a friend play some sections for his first time after I finished it showed me I'm not a genius, but rather that the game is just so well designed that it subconsciously hints at things I at first thought were completely obscure.

It's a game that proves that sound is one of the most tragically overlooked elements in all forms of entertainment. The sound design completely makes every part of this game - the horror, the suspense, and every other emotion I felt throughout. The sounds effects too are unexpected and different, yet perfectly fit every scenario and amplify every scene. Play it on a nice sound system or with headphones cranked up in a room with few distractions.

If $20 is a lot of money for you, I can understand wanting to wait. $20 for 4-ish hours is tough ratio if you can't spend that amount of money without giving up something else. But I will say it's a 4 hours with zero repetition of ideas, nothing over-stays its welcome, and you'll probably want to replay it. Not because of classic "replayability" or that many secrets to discover (though there are some), but because some parts are just so unforgettable you'll want to see them again and show them to everyone you know.

But if $20 is a pretty moderate amount of money for you - perhaps an average dinner out - I'd recommend playing it as soon as possible before unmarked spoilers start flooding the web.

Top Bottom