• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

Finished it earlier in the week, by far my favourite game this year. The art style and sound design are almost faultless. The story is what you'd expect from these devs and I loved it.
I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone though

Aurongel

I can confirm that this game doesn't look super crisp at 4K. Oh well, the clarity wouldn't really fit with the aesthetic anyway.

epmode

This is supposed to get 60 FPS or higher? Something's really wrong.

Fraps reports a steady 24 FPS on my 144hz monitor. Titan X.

edit: Got 60 FPS when I switched my monitor to 60hz. Not feeling too good about this one.

edit edit: Corrected itself when I relaunched the game. Whew.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This is supposed to get 60 FPS or higher? Something's really wrong.

Fraps reports a steady 24 FPS on my 144hz monitor. Titan X.

edit: Got 60 FPS when I switched my monitor to 60hz. Not feeling too good about this one.
144 can't be divided evenly by 60. However, 144/24 = 6, so that's probably what happens. The game doesn't try to switch the monitor refresh mode for you.

I can confirm that this game doesn't look super crisp at 4K. Oh well, the clarity wouldn't really fit with the aesthetic anyway.
Probably like Limbo, it uses a rendering buffer of a certain size, and upscales from there. Some things were rendered in the set screen resolution, but some not. In Limbo, they did that to preserve the appearance of effects across all the different resolutions.

Aurongel

What do you mean exactly? Jagged? Non spoilery example?

Defocused and soft:

ytwMx0n.jpg
Guaranteed upscaling happening here.

The only benefits of going above 1080p is that it makes smaller detail like chromatic aberration stand out a bit more. Haven't seen anyone mention that yet.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The only benefits of going above 1080p is that it makes smaller detail like chromatic aberration stand out a bit more. Haven't seen anyone mention that yet.
Hmm, that actually looks like a sharp image with a DOF applied onto it. If you take a 1080p screenshot of the game, I can show you what it will actually look like when upscaled to 4K.

epmode

144 can't be divided evenly by 60. However, 144/24 = 6, so that's probably what happens. The game doesn't try to switch the monitor refresh mode for you.

That's a good idea but I'm just now remembering that I've seen this precise behavior before. 24 FPS @ 144hz on a newly installed game until I relaunch. It's a Unity thing that occasionally happens on my computer.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That's a good idea but I'm just now remembering that I've seen this precise behavior before. 24 FPS @ 144hz on a newly installed game until I relaunch. It's a Unity thing that occasionally happens on my computer.
Is this game made in Unity? I'm wondering because I think they had a custom engine for Limbo.

Pachimari

Just started this up 30 minutes ago, and it has already played with a wide range of emotions. Everything from the cute chickens, to the hilarious use of them in the machine, to the creepiness of the kid mind controlling the other people, to the horrific events of some strangers shooting you as a minor. The artstyle is amazing, and so is the lighting, but the animations are the most impressive and really makes the boy come alive, almost as a Fumito Ueda-creation. Sound design is spot on, from the raindrops in the corn field to the wet metal you're walking. Sneaking seems interesting, and the intensity with the dog swimming for you or the horde running after you to the last moment. I feel like I am about to experience something very unique.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
How do you deal with
the underwater girl? If I boost, she gets me before I can boost again.
It's driving me nuts

edit: nm, got it
it's a boo

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OK, so the game runs fine on my Macbook (with 650M, which is their minimum spec) with Bootcamp. The very beginning of the game runs at a solid 60FPS if I keep the resolution at 1440x900. Not bad tbh, the game has a certain look to it that it doesn't gain all that much with the resolution increase, so I'm happy. Not sure about the performance later on, but even step below this resolution (720p) looks OK to me on a 15" laptop screen.

What I find weird is that I didn't get any Denuvo prompts to copy the code to a website or anything like that.

I assumed it was Unity since it was the same exact problem I've had before.

Just found this: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...laydead_Using_Unity_Engine_For_Next_Title.php
Yeah, I read the same thing on Wikipedia just a moment ago.

ScottFarRoad

Neo Member
Yep, Brad of Giant Bomb has delivered this time with his endless hype. Makes a change for me.

I hated Limbo. Crappy insta-death platformer I thought.

But this game is more like the first act of Half Life 2 done side-on with an exquisite art style.

I think I'm 2/3rds of the way through the game, couldn't beat it in a night, though I wanted to. The puzzles are really easy, and yet hard enough that I'm like "I'm clever" and I hate puzzle games as a rule.

The checkpointing is very generous so when I die I'm exactly where I want to spawn and the solution is usually staring me in the face.

Yeah, every year has its indie game summer hit, (last year was the Beginner's Guide for me) and this is it this time around.

Can't wait to play it tomorrow and finish it. And as I state, this is coming from a Limbo hater.

ghibli99

Just got to the part where you
meet that swimming figure
, and this game has been magnificent the whole way so far. Amazing flow, sublime effects, expressive animation, terrifying chases, and gruesome deaths. If this keeps up, it'll definitely be a GOTY contender. Getting it for $10 after that FO4 thing was a nice little bonus too. Thanks MS. :)

TheYanger

Yep, Brad of Giant Bomb has delivered this time with his endless hype. Makes a change for me.

I hated Limbo. Crappy insta-death platformer I thought.

But this game is more like the first act of Half Life 2 done side-on with an exquisite art style.

I think I'm 2/3rds of the way through the game, couldn't beat it in a night, though I wanted to. The puzzles are really easy, and yet hard enough that I'm like "I'm clever" and I hate puzzle games as a rule.

The checkpointing is very generous so when I die I'm exactly where I want to spawn and the solution is usually staring me in the face.

Yeah, every year has its indie game summer hit, (last year was the Beginner's Guide for me) and this is it this time around.

Can't wait to play it tomorrow and finish it. And as I state, this is coming from a Limbo hater.

Make sure to hit the spoiler thread when you finish and let us know how you feel about the rest of the game!

Goddamn this game was beautiful. Sure some of the (mechanics spoiler?)
water
segments dragged, but the game knew how to escalate.

Now, do I do a second playthrough with all that implies?

Does anyone know if you can use the LOAD on the menu as a quicker way to get to all the secret orbs?

TheYanger

water

Does anyone know if you can use the LOAD on the menu as a quicker way to get to all the secret orbs?

Yes, regarding your spoiler.

water

You can. Beaten :'(

I found something that I assume will open if
I collect all the missing collectibles before this point
. Should I carry on and finish the game
without them my first run before I do a 100% run
or backtrack
and collect the remaining collectibles for a 100% run the first time
before I pass this point?

I found something that I assume will open if
I collect all the missing collectibles before this point
. Should I carry on and finish the game
without them my first run before I do a 100% run
or backtrack
and collect the remaining collectibles for a 100% run the first time
before I pass this point?
Yeah just collect later. There is a "chapter" select later that is very player friendly.

Just finished this, love the aesthetic, love the animation, love the atmosphere which is genuinely creepy in parts.

I appreciate that the puzzles don't require perfect timing and aren't cheap like limbo,they're simple enough that anyone can solve them but require just enough thought that you still feel clever when you solve them.

I played limbo for the first time a few days ago and I definitely enjoyed this game more.

aro52

omg the entire section with the
19 mining minions
is amazing. Best part of the game so far.

I was enjoying it too, until the
timed jump bit, onto the rising box. I'm jumping off of the one box, onto the rising box, and just can't get high enough!

Nevermind! Did it another way. I'm an idiot.

I was enjoying it too, until the
timed jump bit, onto the rising box. I'm jumping off of the one box, onto the rising box, and just can't get high enough!
When I figured out the solution for that, it was such an "oh, of course it was that simple" moment for me

Got home from work a few hours ago and blasted through this... wow.

Inside felt like a natural evolution of the game design and art-style the team created with Limbo all those years ago. The simple two button gameplay was so refreshing and worked really well, the puzzles were complex at times yet always logical and fair, the way the story was explained through visual cues and set pieces was mesmerising. The framing of every single moment was incredible, as was the sound design. Most importantly Inside kept surprising me, in it's 4 hours I never felt like the game was repeating itself and it gave me the sense of being on a haunting journey through a strange and terrifying land.

Also - holy shit at that ending! Mind blown.

Go in blind people and enjoy one of the most original and well executed indie games in recent years. Big congratulations to Playdead, they just topped Limbo.

Go in blind people and enjoy one of the most original and well executed indie games in recent years. Big congratulations to Playdead, they just topped Limbo.

Super stoked to hear that, I love LIMBO I have the physical collectors edition and all. Too bad this wont run for me right now! :(

Navy Bean

Just finished the game... Wow, I loved it. I'm not much for atmosphere type games but this has it in spades. And the puzzles aren't hard per se, but they do make you feel clever when you solve them if that makes sense. And the last 30 minutes is great.

Ok guys beside the DRM crap is the PC port good?

It ran at 60fps on my i7, 670, 16gb combo. There isn't much in the way of settings (resolution, brightness and full-screen or windowed). No AA options, detail options ect.

However I think this is because the games art style already looks jaggy free and the same for the details - very minimal like Limbo was. Would have been nice to turn off Chromatic Aberration as the IQ looks pretty soft but it suits the look they were going for to be fair.

Short answer: It looks nice and runs well. No extras.

For an indie game it has some of the BEST audio I've heard in a while. Incredibly minimalistic at times with huge deep booms and tiny crinkling of chains at others. The whole
before during and after of the pulse wave section
is an audiophile's wet dream

For an indie game it has some of the BEST audio I've heard in a while. Incredibly minimalistic at times with huge deep booms and tiny crinkling of chains at others. The whole
before during and after of the pulse wave section
is an audiophile's wet dream
The music is good too. A tension-building heartbeat of a soundtrack

dLMN8R

You know what I think is the most perfect sound in the entire game? Or close to it? It's pretty close to the beginning but I'll spoiler anyway:

The CHUNK-a-thunk-a-CHUNK-a-thunk-a-CHUNK-a-thunk-a... coming from that machine you crank which sucks up all the chicks and throws them at something to move it.

It's especially unsettling because you think those chicks are just going to get ground up into dust...because why wouldn't they be in this game??

Top Bottom