• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

I bought and played it day 1 on Xbox One. Beat it 5 times and got all the achievements and the secret ending there. Bought and played it day 1 on PC and played it and finished it and got all the achievements there and the secret ending. Fucking GOTY/GOTG!

Btw, for anyone else who got it on PC, is it not showing up in your Steam profile after playing it? still says my most recently played games are csgo and Limbo even though I played this last. Doesn't show I played it at all.

I bought and played it day 1 on Xbox One. Beat it 5 times and got all the achievements and the secret ending there. Bought and played it day 1 on PC and played it and finished it and got all the achievements there and the secret ending. Fucking GOTY/GOTG!

Btw, for anyone else who got it on PC, is it not showing up in your Steam profile after playing it? still says my most recently played games are csgo and Limbo even though I played this last. Doesn't show I played it at all.

Achievements and community info are not public yet.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah it seems nothing is showing up on Steam, not even screenshots on activity feeds. Achievements are unlocking, they're just not visible.

Reedirect

Need help with one mid-game section.

How the hell do you outswim that long-haired monster (or whatever it is) at the three platforms when you have the chain at your disposal? The chain seems to be completely useless in everything other than getting you back to the two previous platforms.

I'm definitely missing something here and I have a feeling it's something simple, since this game excels in having puzzles that have easy, but not always apparent solutions.

danowat

Banned
Need help with one mid-game section.

How the hell do you outswim that long-haired monster (or whatever it is) at the three platforms when you have the chain at your disposal? The chain seems to be completely useless in everything other than getting you back to the two previous platforms.

I'm definitely missing something here and I have a feeling it's something simple, since this game excels in having puzzles that have easy, but not always apparent solutions.

Use the chain to drag your feet in the water to lure the mermaid away

Draft

For my broke gaming brothers:

INSIDE runs at an almost locked 1080p/60 on a Q6600/750ti/W10 machine. I say almost because for about 10 seconds the FPS dropped to the mid-40s. It wasn't during a spectacular event or anything else that would require extra processing power, and afterwards I specifically ran around the area to test and the frames stayed locked at 60.

It also booted up with no problem and instantly recognized the X360 pad. I'm not sure what else could be asked for.

Great looking game. Solid port running well on trash hardware.

IronRinn

Finished this last night in one, 3 hour, 20 minute sitting and had to resist the urge to start right back up. Been a while since a game has done that to me. Utterly fantastic.

For my broke gaming brothers:

INSIDE runs at an almost locked 1080p/60 on a Q6600/750ti/W10 machine. I say almost because for about 10 seconds the FPS dropped to the mid-40s. It wasn't during a spectacular event or anything else that would require extra processing power, and afterwards I specifically ran around the area to test and the frames stayed locked at 60.

It also booted up with no problem and instantly recognized the X360 pad. I'm not sure what else could be asked for.

Great looking game. Solid port running well on trash hardware.

It was one of those great/weird PC moments where I started the game and thought "This looks amazing and the framerate is rock solid...Sure there's nothing I can fiddle with? No? Ok, I guess? Yes, this is ok." Too used to spending half my first time with a game tweaking.

Playing it on PC and game runs great on i5 2500k/GTX 560ti. Not even a single frame drop.

Game is awesome as i expected from Playdead. That section with 20 minions and sound blast (or whatever that is) blew my mind.

Vexidus

This game is absolutely incredible. Played for 3 hours last night and adored it. Playing with high quality headphones really enhances the experience. The ambient drone soundtrack really knocks it out of the park when it kicks in. I've never had a game get my heart racing more legitimately than this one.

I also have a modest PC with a rig from 2010, i5 and GeForce 460 Gtx, and the game runs flawlessly at native res. Really impressed. Can't wait to play more tonight!

The deaths are fucking brutal, but they're so straightfaced i can't help but laugh at times. Poor kid.

This is brilliant so far, zero complaints. I'm upto
fending off the water girl inside the ball thing. Not sure how to proceed, i know where to go but she gets me when i try. My first real hurdle so far but I'll figure it out.

Really intriguing, taking a break for now.

If you're interested in the design and tech behind the game:

Low Complexity, High Fidelity - INSIDE Rendering
PDF: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023002/Low-Complexity-High-Fidelity-INSIDE
Direct download of 1GB PPTX with video
Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fyshi_vr9U

Temporal Reprojection Anti-Aliasing in Inside
PDF: https://github.com/playdeadgames/temporal/blob/master/GDC2016_Temporal_Reprojection_AA_INSIDE.pdf

A Game That Listens - The Audio of INSIDE
http://gdcvault.com/play/1023731/A-Game-That-Listens-The

This game is absolutely incredible. Played for 3 hours last night and adored it. Playing with high quality headphones really enhances the experience. The ambient drone soundtrack really knocks it out of the park when it kicks in. I've never had a game get my heart racing more legitimately than this one.

I also have a modest PC with a rig from 2010, i5 and GeForce 460 Gtx, and the game runs flawlessly at native res. Really impressed. Can't wait to play more tonight!

Yup.

Stiler

Really really enjoying this game so far. About 2 hours into it and man, I am enjoying it more then Limbo.

Just wondering, about how long is the game? Want to take my time with it and not rush through it.

Really really enjoying this game so far. About 2 hours into it and man, I am enjoying it more then Limbo.

Just wondering, about how long is the game? Want to take my time with it and not rush through it.
You have about another hour or so, depending on if you got stuck on puzzles or are taking your time looking for secrets

Dartastic

Just beat the
area where you go under the water in the sub.

About how much more do I have? This game is gorgeous.

If you're interested in the design and tech behind the game:

Low Complexity, High Fidelity - INSIDE Rendering
PDF: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023002/Low-Complexity-High-Fidelity-INSIDE
Direct download of 1GB PPTX with video
Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fyshi_vr9U

Temporal Reprojection Anti-Aliasing in Inside
PDF: https://github.com/playdeadgames/temporal/blob/master/GDC2016_Temporal_Reprojection_AA_INSIDE.pdf

A Game That Listens - The Audio of INSIDE
http://gdcvault.com/play/1023731/A-Game-That-Listens-The

This stuff is fascinating to read/watch. I might not get half of it but I love seeing how it all comes together

Despera

Banned
Well the puzzles in the game were straightforward except for a couple that were pretty clever. I unlocked probably half the secrets but don't really feel like going back to unlock everything. Puzzles are pretty much used as another storytelling tool, so I wouldn't expect anything on the level of Braid or Fez for example.

Sound design is one of the best in the medium. Every sound effect felt authentic and of high quality. Played on both headphones and a home theater I gotta say a decent surround sound setup works perfectly for this game. That part with the
deadly sound waves had my sofa shaking with each thud
, which added a lot to the effect.

Controls are pitch perfect, art style is gorgeous and I freaking love this method of storytelling with the story unfolding along with the gameplay segments instead of interrupting them. Overall, a great game and easily one of the best of the year even though the puzzles could stand to be a bit more challenging.

T.O.P

Banned
Cannot stop thinking about this game since I finished it last night. Wow.

Yup

I just did an all secrets run and now i'm watching people playing through the game again on YT just to see how they reacts to what happens in the game lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Furthermore, I can say that it runs at a solid 60 at 900p on an i7/650M Macbook Pro under Windows 7 bootcamp. Which pretty much means that any laptop with a dedicated GPU sold in the last few years should be able to run the game fine.

I was really worried - because Unity - but they pulled it off.

Furthermore, I can say that it runs at a solid 60 at 900p on an i7/650M Macbook Pro under Windows 7 bootcamp. Which pretty much means that any laptop with a dedicated GPU sold in the last few years should be able to run the game fine.

I was really worried - because Unity - but they pulled it off.
Inside and Ori are perhaps the two best performing (and most gorgeous) Unity games IMO

KooopaKid

Banned
It took me 3 hours to finish, a bit on the short side given the price. On the other hand, given the limited gameplay, it would have dragged on otherwise.
Fantastic sound and art design, intriguing world and well-made in-game storytelling, some cool puzzles and the last part of the game was quite funny and surprising. I don't know what happened lol.
Real original and memorable game but the "press left" gameplay is a bit thin overall and the story resolution disappointing.

Peterthumpa

Finished yesterday, planning to play it again in the coming days.

Absolutely fantastic, flawless animation and seriously, one of the best if not the best graphical showcase on PC right now. Lighting and art direction are out of this world, audio is sublime, everything is fucking fantastic.

And I take back everything I've said before about Unity. If used well, it's a damn gorgeous engine.

Aurongel

Just did another full run through of the game and I'm still stunned at how tight and well put together it all this.

The Souls series gets heaps of praise for how it ties its individual areas together but Inside really takes this to a whole new level for sidescrollers. Without spoiling anything specific, the game does a tremendous job teasing things to come in subsequent areas.

Also, who the fuck would have thought that Unity of all engines has produced the most artistically accomplished game for the second year in a row. If Ori was masterful artistic beauty then Inside is masterful artistic grime.

Just did another full run through of the game and I'm still stunned at how tight and well put together it all this.

The Souls series gets heaps of praise for how it ties its individual areas together but Inside really takes this to a whole new level for sidescrollers. Without spoiling anything specific, the game does a tremendous job teasing things to come in subsequent areas.

Also, who the fuck would have thought that Unity of all engines has produced the most artistically accomplished game for the second year in a row. If Ori was masterful artistic beauty then Inside is masterful artistic grime.
Yes, I actually just posted something about that in the spoiler thread.

Truncated to remove spoilers
Love seeing the WTFs about the finale in the OT

But I wonder how many appreciate why exactly it works so well. I can see someone watching it on Youtube and being like "Looks cool, but what was so good about that? What makes it so special?"

Thing is, Inside is one of the most gameplay-first kind of games in a while. Not in a Platinum "super polished action" way or an Uncharted "we don't take control away" way, but in the sense the gameplay - the animations, the pacing, the puzzles - are just as crucial to the atmosphere and story telling as the art and sound. Every facet of the gameplay has a purpose. You've spent the whole game as the small hunted child, feeling weak, danger on all sides, overpowered by everything else in the world. The game establishes and builds on this from the first moments, in the pulsing heartbeat of a soundtrack, the panicking breathing, the brutality of every enemy and danger, the overwhelming oppression. You're conditioned to be scared and tense. You're never safe.

That's some brilliant game design. The incredible animations and the rest are all icing on the cake

25 guys, and it took them 4 years to finish Inside. Their next game is going to take a while, unfortunately.
6 years to make Inside. 6 years to make Limbo as well

However, there will probably be other smaller projects from Playdead talent. 140 was from Jeppe Carlsen, lead designer on Limbo and who designed puzzles for Inside

W9NDjw3.gif

SoundLad

I really wanna pull the trigger and get this but......20 euros for a game that people in this thread have completed in a single sitting, few hours...

Is it worth it...?

please say yes

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I really wanna pull the trigger and get this but......20 euros for a game that people in this thread have completed in a single sitting, few hours...

Is it worth it...?

please say yes

Yes definitely. Also, there's an actual incentive to get all secrets/collectibles in this game, so it's worth a replay. You may feel like doing that anyway after you beat it.

Is it worth it...?

please say yes
Yes. The lean length is one of the game's strengths. No filler. Finely-tuned pacing

And if the general consensus is anything to go by, you'll probably want to play it again when you finish the first time

enjoy it soundlab. if you don't finish it in one sitting I would definitely recommend putting aside ~90 minutes to finish it uninterrupted.

Sky Chief

How would this game run on a Surface Book with an i7 and dGPU? What do I need to do to get the DRM to let me play on an airplane?

KingV

I really liked this game, but I have found the lack of explanation to be a bit of a buzzkill.

It kind of reminded me of How I felt about Lost, "this is so intriguing, can't wait to figure out what's going on!.... Oh, it's over."

I really liked this game, but I have found the lack of explanation to be a bit of a buzzkill.

It kind of reminded me of How I felt about Lost, "this is so intriguing, can't wait to figure out what's going on!.... Oh, it's over."
Come by the Spoiler thread. There's a lot going on. It's just not made obvious

Just stormed through it in 2 sessions (one last night, finishing up this morning). Man, I felt stressed throughout the whole thing!
By the end I think I actually said (to noone but the cats) "what the actual feck..."

Top Bottom