• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

Just finished it. Holy shit that whole last bit. I must be really slow I took almost 6 hours to beat it. I did take a couple of small breaks and look for secrets and stuff but I dunno how you beat it in 3 hours. I found probably half the secret stuff and they seem not too hard to find. It is definitely worth another playthrough. Holy shit though the game is gorgeous even running on my shitty laptop, the sound design added a huge amount to the atmosphere of the game, the tense feeling of being in danger in this game... those fucking dogs man. This was quite an experience. I thought Limbo was a neat game with a great art style but this one is on a whole other level.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Do I have to get the collectables for the real ending? I just beat it and feel like i'm missing something.

If it's like Limbo...gathering all collectibles will unlock a secret bonus level(challenging), but will add nothing to the core storytelling narrative.

Robiin

I'm stuck an hour in and I feel bad.

It's just after a part where you raise and lower w
ater to climb onto a rope. Up that rope is a rooftop with a slide down, and down there is a swinging light that kills you. I have no idea how to get past this. There's no cover, I tried standing still and I tried running for it.
A little hint would be lovely!

EDIT: Wtf? I just looked it up on youtube, and in my game there is no
shadow
?!?! Screenshot for reference, there's supposed to be a
shadow
there...

Stoze

Just beat it, made sure I sat aside a few uninterrupted hours in the dark to play it. Wow....this game was something else. Thought I was pretty thorough but I missed 3 of the collectibles, gonna replay for them tomorrow and then I'll head over to the spoiler thread.

What a ride though, seriously.

TheYanger

ater to climb onto a rope. Up that rope is a rooftop with a slide down, and down there is a swinging light that kills you. I have no idea how to get past this. There's no cover, I tried standing still and I tried running for it.

shadow
shadow
there...

wow uh, yeah yours is busted as fuck. You can probably see how it's SUPPOSED to work :/

Does the"real" ending give you definitive details on the overarching story? Because I'm of the opinion that what is going on is
you're really an alien escaping area 51 or some shit. that's totally what I got from it at least. there's UFO type shit and the bad guys are all scientists and government-looking dudes

danowat

Banned
Does the"real" ending give you definitive details on the overarching story? Because I'm of the opinion that what is going on is
you're really an alien escaping area 51 or some shit. that's totally what I got from it at least. there's UFO type shit and the bad guys are all scientists and government-looking dudes
In a word, no!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

shadow
shadow
there...

In the game's FAQ on the Steam board:

Q: There are no shadows in the puzzle where two searchlights pass over pipes above the boy.
A: This is a known issue with old drivers. Please update your graphics drivers.

Are you using the latest drivers for your card?

TheYanger

Yeah, I usually don't resort to guides but it just seemed impossible. It actually was "impossible" with the information I was giben.

No spoilers, but I'd recommend fucking with settings/whatever it takes to fix that particular issue.

EDIT: NM read the post above yours. Try that obviously.

ldcommando

Banned
there are collectibles in this game? What are they? Be less spoilery as possible, thanks

I just finished the
put 20 people on a plataform to open a gate
part.

Vexidus

there are collectibles in this game? What are they? Be less spoilery as possible, thanks

I just finished the
put 20 people on a plataform to open a gate
part.

They are extra puzzles hidden in the environment, with a similar goal for each which give you achievements as well. You would have passed several of them at the point you're at now.

So good. Not sure how far I'm in but it's everything that people said it was.

Those fucking
shockwaves
, so intense and well implemented.

2016 is rapidly becoming one of my all time great years in gaming.

Did you finish the game? Read the game's description again.
Who said he's trying to escape?

Robiin

In the game's FAQ on the Steam board:

Q: There are no shadows in the puzzle where two searchlights pass over pipes above the boy.
A: This is a known issue with old drivers. Please update your graphics drivers.

Are you using the latest drivers for your card?
Managed to google this when I was searching for a way to tweet them my question, thanks :) My Geforce Experience had managed to stop responding some time ago apparently!

watership

Just finished it. Best game of the year so far. Best game in a few years. Sound design alone is exceptional. So much more to wanted to know.

Dave_6

Finally bought this around ~1:30 AM this morning so maybe I was too tired, but I'm already stuck just a few mins into the game. It's the part where I go into the
farm and have to turn on the hay machine. I keep holding the lever but it doesn't seem to really be doing anything. I do see the hay bale up high that looks like it needs to be knocked off. I held it for maybe two mins before I gave up and went to bed.
Am I overlooking something?

Vexidus

Finally bought this around ~1:30 AM this morning so maybe I was too tired, but I'm already stuck just a few mins into the game. It's the part where I go into the
farm and have to turn on the hay machine. I keep holding the lever but it doesn't seem to really be doing anything. I do see the hay bale up high that looks like it needs to be knocked off. I held it for maybe two mins before I gave up and went to bed.

You will probably solve it once you try it after resting, by just in case:
you need something to hit the hay stack, firing air at it won't work.

The little yellow guys outside can help you.....

Glad I revisited the thread. I don't think I'll play the game again, because it has no replay value, but I def will check out the extra ending on Youtube.
Always found that mindset a bit odd. People will watch their favorite movies again, re-read books, go through their favorite tv series again, listen to songs multiple times. But won't replay a fun game because it has "no replay value".

The enjoyment of playing something is replay value.

TasTokyo

I played it last weekend but wanted some time to think on it.

It is really just beautifully crafted. I love how the game often gives you subtle little hints as to what you should be doing. Yet never actually once does it need to explain anything.

The best example of this for me is
When you do the lineup and have to match the other people. When the dog at the end starts barking the boy nervously looks up and at the window ahead.
It's a cool way to just let you know what needs to happen.

Vexidus

Always found that mindset a bit odd. People will watch their favorite movies again, re-read books, go through their favorite tv series again, listen to songs multiple times. But won't replay a fun game because it has "no replay value".

The enjoyment of playing something is replay value.

I'm with you 100%, I enjoy experiencing linear games over again, especially games like this with so much detail and subtlety. You pick up much more on subsequent playthroughs. I've replayed Limbo at least five times for example, a game with "no replay value". Hotel Dusk is another I can think of off the bat. There are lots of them for me.

Stiler

Ok, can someone help me. I just heard about
a secret ending/puzzle
if you find all of the little orb thingies.

I missed one very early on and I was just wondering if you are able to select lv's after you finish the game or do you have to do a full-run through in order to do all of them?

Thanks.

danowat

Banned
Ok, can someone help me. I just heard about
a secret ending/puzzle
if you find all of the little orb thingies.

I missed one very early on and I was just wondering if you are able to select lv's after you finish the game or do you have to do a full-run through in order to do all of them?

Thanks.
Yup, just use level select, they are persistent.

TheYanger

Glad I revisited the thread. I don't think I'll play the game again, because it has no replay value, but I def will check out the extra ending on Youtube.

You don't have to 'replay' it, the checkpoints are all over and you can warp around them to do the hidden stuff.

Tsukumo

I played it last weekend but wanted some time to think on it.

It is really just beautifully crafted. I love how the game often gives you subtle little hints as to what you should be doing. Yet never actually once does it need to explain anything.

The best example of this for me is
When you do the lineup and have to match the other people. When the dog at the end starts barking the boy nervously looks up and at the window ahead.
It's a cool way to just let you know what needs to happen.

So true. The gravity puzzles in Limbo came out of nowhere and used mechanics completely inconsistent with the previous puzzles.
I ALWAYS hated puzzle games, but this game is designed so well it actually made me wonder if I should give a chance to stuff like The Witness. Inside is THAT good.
Only thing I couldn't figure out for myself was the second secret. TBH without a guide I would have never had found it.
In general I think puzzle games tend to be designed too much around a very rigid thought process, and my allergy to this genre is pretty much rooted in the fact that puzzle games become completely broken as soon as you realize the designers make you play by rules they don't respect themselves. This isn't an issue that plagues the puzzle genre exclusively, but for me it's particularly relevant in puzzles.
Any puzzle this game offers is either an evolution or a variation of a previous one, and it works flawlessly. For me the game is not only a masterpiece in terms of narrative, it is also in terms of game design as it reconciled me with a genre I absolutely loathe.
As a matter of fact, if there's people reading who are somehow discouraged by the type of game, I can definitely guarantee Inside will make you feel like a genius LMAO. You will earn your way through it, in a way that I thought was only possible with games with a more linear game design, like action games or shooters.

So true. The gravity puzzles in Limbo came out of nowhere and used mechanics completely inconsistent with the previous puzzles.
I ALWAYS hated puzzle games, but this game is designed so well it actually made me wonder if I should give a chance to stuff like The Witness. Inside is THAT good.
Only thing I couldn't figure out for myself was the second secret. TBH without a guide I would have never had found it.
In general I think puzzle games tend to be designed too much around a very rigid thought process, and my allergy to this genre is pretty much rooted in the fact that puzzle games become completely broken as soon as you realize the designers make you play by rules they don't respect themselves. This isn't an issue that plagues the puzzle genre exclusively, but for me it's particularly relevant in puzzles.
Any puzzle this game offers is either an evolution or a variation of a previous one, and it works flawlessly. For me the game is not only a masterpiece in terms of narrative, it is also in terms of game design as it reconciled me with a genre I absolutely loathe.
As a matter of fact, if there's people reading who are somehow discouraged by the type of game, I can definitely guarantee Inside will make you feel like a genius LMAO. You will earn your way through it, in a way that I thought was only possible with games with a more linear game design, like action games or shooters.

Agreed 100%. I always feel I should like puzzle games more than I do but so many of them revel in being obtuse and difficult. Inside has none of that, the puzzles are grounded in physics and logic and it trains you really gently as you progress. I never once found anything truly difficult even if some of them made me scratch my head for a few minutes.

If there's an award for game design at the end of the year then this is going to take some beating.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Oh, you definitely should, because this

Any puzzle this game offers is either an evolution or a variation of a previous one, and it works flawlessly.

is true there as well. Although obviously The Witness is vastly different, bigger and more complex kind of game.

Oh, you definitely should, because this

is true there as well. Although obviously The Witness is vastly different, bigger and more complex kind of game.
I'd argue The Witness is less puzzle solving and more like learning some odd symbol-based language. At first there are things you can't understand, but gradually, you become adept in the meaning of different symbols and what they mean and how to "read" panels that were nonense before.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'd argue The Witness is less puzzle solving and more like learning some odd symbol-based language. At first there are things you can't understand, but gradually, you become adept in the meaning of different symbols and what they mean and how to "read" panels that were nonense before.

It's been compared to a metroidvania before in that sense. You can run into panels early on that you can only read after beating other sections. Understanding those codes is like getting an upgrade in a metroidvania type game. That being said though, once you understand a specific ruleset, there are still a lot of complex and challenging puzzles to solve.

The Witness, The Swapper, Antichamber... Plenty of other options if you want to play another great puzzle game after this.

Robiin

Okay, that was a weird ass ending sequence.

Overall, I loved the game, finished it in two sittings, but I'm gonna think for tonight before delwing into the spoiler thread. I would do another playthrough but the "slowness" and gray color palette might be a bit too much for a second run immediately. As it is now, I have absolutely no idea what the "story" was about, except for vague ideas about themes.

Don't know if I liked this or Limbo more yet.

I found a room with four out of like 15
light lit and a big ass globe-like thing with a door
, I assume those light up when you
pull out all the "secret" balls/computers/whatevers
?

The Witness, The Swapper, Antichamber... Plenty of other options if you want to play another great puzzle game after this.
I adored the Witness, loved Limbo and this as well, but my brain couldn't handle Antichamber. Should I try out The Swapper? How much of a time commitment is it?

Stoze

Don't know if I liked this or Limbo more yet.

I found a room with four out of like 15
light lit and a big ass globe-like thing with a door
, I assume those light up when you
pull out all the "secret" balls/computers/whatevers
?

I adored the Witness, loved Limbo and this as well, but my brain couldn't handle Antichamber. Should I try out The Swapper? How much of a time commitment is it?

For your spoiler question, yes. You can just load chapters up to get those instead of replaying through everything as well.

The Swapper is excellent, probably 5-7 hours? I highly recommend it, it actually has some similarities in atmosphere and puzzle design with INSIDE now that I'm thinking about it. Also get on The Talos Principle if you haven't yet, it's probably my favorite first person puzzler outside of The Witness.

Quantum

I picked this up on GAF hype

- finished it earlier today

- was one of the most polished side scrollers I've played in a long time.
- best sound design I've ever heard in a game - bar none.
- environments were designed phenomenally - atmosphere was perfect.

- the story was crap
- I think there is a tremendous amount of hype around the game but the chapters,
while seamless aren't cohesive at all.
- the game lacks the usual progression which enabled the protagonist to either
change game-play or grant understanding towards the goal of the story.
- the game decides to change the rules of physics without any explanation - simple
enough to play with but complete nonsense with the arc of the story.

- I loved the first half, didn't understand the middle and was totally confused by the end.

- might be my own issue, but I wanted a hybrid 'the swapper' and 'shadow complex' after loving the original limbo - not sure what I got, but honestly I liked limbo better.

edit: I love that the swapper was brought up in a post or two above - I can't recommend that game enough.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

If you don't get stuck on puzzles, it's about 6-7 hours, but later puzzles are harder and it can take you longer if you get stuck on some. But whatever you do, don't ever use a guide for The Swapper, it's way too satisfying to figure out the puzzles yourself.

It's one of the best puzzles I've played tbh, so try it out.

Bought Talos Principle months ago, haven't gotten around to it, but definitely will at some point.

For your spoiler question, yes. You can just load chapters up to get those instead of replaying through everything as well.

The Swapper is excellent, probably 5-7 hours? I highly recommend it, it actually has some similarities in atmosphere and puzzle design with INSIDE now that I'm thinking about it. Also get on The Talos Principle if you haven't yet, it's probably my favorite first person puzzler outside of The Witness.
Yes, The Swapper is fantastic. It has a similarly bleak atmospheric tone, and the hand-crafted aesthetic is amazing. It's all clay and hand-made assets. Puzzle mechanics are so satisfying too

TheYanger

I picked this up on GAF hype

- finished it earlier today

- was one of the most polished side scrollers I've played in a long time.
- best sound design I've ever heard in a game - bar none.
- environments were designed phenomenally - atmosphere was perfect.

- the story was crap
- I think there is a tremendous amount of hype around the game but the chapters,
while seamless aren't cohesive at all.
- the game lacks the usual progression which enabled the protagonist to either
change game-play or grant understanding towards the goal of the story.
- the game decides to change the rules of physics without any explanation - simple
enough to play with but complete nonsense with the arc of the story.

- I loved the first half, didn't understand the middle and was totally confused by the end.

- might be my own issue, but I wanted a hybrid 'the swapper' and 'shadow complex' after loving the original limbo - not sure what I got, but honestly I liked limbo better.

edit: I love that the swapper was brought up in a post or two above - I can't recommend that game enough.

Seems odd that you would like Limbo and not this, neither one has a lick of explicit narrative, and a lot of your complaints seem to be that you wanted a story to be told to you rather than just experiencing one.

Found some references for PS4 port in game files. We already know it'll come to PS4 tho.

WU3N6t.jpg

Stoze

Yes, The Swapper is fantastic. It has a similarly bleak atmospheric tone, and the hand-crafted aesthetic is amazing. It's all clay and hand-made assets. Puzzle mechanics are so satisfying too

Yep. Also if playing The Swapper on PC, at some point I recommend turning off the depth of field, bloom, film grain, etc. for a bit just to see the assets and background in all their raw glory, almost looks like a different game.

I just got the
alternate ending.
That certainly puts a different perspective on things. Gonna head over to the spoiler thread now.

Quantum

Seems odd that you would like Limbo and not this, neither one has a lick of explicit narrative, and a lot of your complaints seem to be that you wanted a story to be told to you rather than just experiencing one.

I don't disagree, and accept that it is my personal opinion biased by GAF - generally my likes and dislikes are along the lines of 'GAF' sentiment but this was way off.

Limbo was an original - I found it held less story and asked less of the player - allowing me to create more of an imaginary backstory.

Inside did attempt to explain what was happening in a few expositional set-ups that were mandatory. the clearest example early in the game was
pulling a mind controlling worm out of the pig

Using the games own logic - playing with the ideas set forth withing the context of the game I was ready for a much deeper experience - the one area where you
use the mind control helmet on a mob that you were mind controlling to push the cart was brilliant, and I was expecting more
instead it changed up the story and stopped following its own rules of physics
1) creepy water monster keeps drowning the player then for some reason you aren't able to be drowned, 2) water believes in gravity for the first half of the game, water gravity then decides to stop believing in it

in my opinion, The outside was an extremely polished atmospheric side scroller with fantastic audio. It ultimately let me down because I feel like it didn't follow its own rules.

I stick to:

Bought Talos Principle months ago, haven't gotten around to it, but definitely will at some point.

- Another game I walked into blind
- was one of the best experiences I've had with atmospheric puzzle gaming
- has some of the coolest hidden areas and neat things to find in any game I've played

Top Bottom