• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

CloudWolf

instead it changed up the story and stopped following its own rules of physics
1) creepy water monster keeps drowning the player then for some reason you aren't able to be drowned, 2) water believes in gravity for the first half of the game, water gravity then decides to stop believing in it

in my opinion, The outside was an extremely polished atmospheric side scroller with fantastic audio. It ultimately let me down because I feel like it didn't follow its own rules
Actually, those examples can pretty easily be explained.
1. The water girl kills you, then she puts a cord in you that resurrects you and gives you enhanced powers (water breathing and the ability to control drones without the need of the cap). She probably went through the same process, considering you can see that het body is connected with some cords. Note that the boy you're playing isn't human, but a drone so he can probably be reprogrammed which is what the girl does.

2. The water doesn't suddenly stop "believing in gravity". The water you're in for the majority of the game is just ordinary water, the floating water is all part of the futuristic research lab that also made the drones. They are clearly doing research with anti-gravity, waterbreathing and other weird stuff.

Quantum

Actually, those examples can pretty easily be explained.

I've jumped over to the spoiler thread and am reading all of the theories, I like your interpretation - maybe I'm let down because I can't come to the same conclusion with the information I was presented with in the game.

also - to beat a dead horse -
(1) the water girl killed me countless times - why did she decide to reprogram me at that point - why didn't I get reprogrammed the first time she killed me and then allow me to breath water other than to do more puzzles?

cackhyena

I picked this up on GAF hype

- finished it earlier today

- was one of the most polished side scrollers I've played in a long time.
- best sound design I've ever heard in a game - bar none.
- environments were designed phenomenally - atmosphere was perfect.

- the story was crap
- I think there is a tremendous amount of hype around the game but the chapters,
while seamless aren't cohesive at all.
- the game lacks the usual progression which enabled the protagonist to either
change game-play or grant understanding towards the goal of the story.
- the game decides to change the rules of physics without any explanation - simple
enough to play with but complete nonsense with the arc of the story.

- I loved the first half, didn't understand the middle and was totally confused by the end.

- might be my own issue, but I wanted a hybrid 'the swapper' and 'shadow complex' after loving the original limbo - not sure what I got, but honestly I liked limbo better.

edit: I love that the swapper was brought up in a post or two above - I can't recommend that game enough.
How does someone call this game's story crap yet say they liked Limbo? Never once felt a disconnect between game play and what was transpiring narratively.

Quantum

How does someone call this game's story crap yet say they liked Limbo? Never once felt a disconnect between game play and what was transpiring narratively.

that is the essence of my confusion with the game - I totally felt disconnected from the narrative.

I'm not trying to be right or wrong - personally I feel I was taken away from the "story" the more I played - I expected more, and accept that it might be my own shortcoming.

Kathian

Banned
Just finished. It was alright. Good art and great sound design. Some nice puzzles here and there and a fun end. But with each puzzle element I never felt it peaked, lots of nice ideas sure but I never really had that 'sit back and think just how smart that was' that you get when a puzzler teaches you what you need and gets you to use them.

In general fine but for me didn't hit any sort of peak.

Dantis

Bought and played through this yesterday. Art, sound and animation is off the charts. Completely blew my mind.
I felt like, like Limbo, the opening acts were far superior to the late game, though the drop wasn't as large as Limbo.

I was fine with the story until the ending. Didn't feel like an ending to me. It just kind of stops.

Great game. Crap ending. Much better than Limbo. Worth the money.

cackhyena

that is the essence of my confusion with the game - I totally felt disconnected from the narrative.

I'm not trying to be right or wrong - personally I feel I was taken away from the "story" the more I played - I expected more, and accept that it might be my own shortcoming.
Fair enough. I feel like this type of game can hit many people many more ways than the typical bad/good feelings. Plenty to chew on.

I've jumped over to the spoiler thread and am reading all of the theories, I like your interpretation - maybe I'm let down because I can't come to the same conclusion with the information I was presented with in the game.

also - to beat a dead horse -
(1) the water girl killed me countless times - why did she decide to reprogram me at that point - why didn't I get reprogrammed the first time she killed me and then allow me to breath water other than to do more puzzles?
Easy.
She was never trying to kill you. She was always trying to help you. The game was just building tension, and conditioning you to expect a specific outcome. By cutting the process short, it could subvert your expectations when you get to see her true intentions.

Quantum

Easy.
She was never trying to kill you. She was always trying to help you. The game was just building tension, and conditioning you to expect a specific outcome. By cutting the process short, it could subvert your expectations when you get to see her true intentions.

messy.

In hindsight I can understand your explanation. If I didn't die until that point it would make sense. Unfortunately I did get killed a number of times and had to wait for checkpoint reload to pass an area, when the final change happened and I was being modified and pulled down I kept expecting a checkpoint reload furthering my disconnect from the game rather than saying - oh this makes sense. I therefore find it an odd choice to build tension as I was just expecting the game to reload as it had conditioned me to think

My poor kid had a rather embarrassing end...

http://webmshare.com/play/eBa65

so funny.

messy.

In hindsight I can understand your explanation. If I didn't die until that point it would make sense. Unfortunately I did get killed a number of times and had to wait for checkpoint reload to pass an area, when the final change happened and I was being modified and pulled down I kept expecting a checkpoint reload furthering my disconnect from the game rather than saying - oh this makes sense. I therefore find it an odd choice to build tension as I was just expecting the game to reload as it had conditioned me to think
Well yeah, that's exactly the point.
"Oh, man, another messed up dea...oh, wait, it's not restarting...what...". You had the exact reaction the game wanted you to have.

bigmac996

"Oh, man, another messed up dea...oh, wait, it's not restarting...what...". You had the exact reaction the game wanted you to have.

This.
The game set you up with the idea that you were going to die many times before turning that expectation on its head. The moment the water creature pulls you under and gives you the breathing/ mind abilities would not have been the same without that initial expectation. It's not a cop out, it's a well thought-out design decision to elicit a very specific reaction from the gamer.

Quantum

The more I think about it, this might be the case:

1) I'm not willing to admit my logic is broken and i'd rather blame the game.

2) if that was the intention of playdead then the metaphysics involved is way beyond what I'm prepared for.

This.
The game set you up with the idea that you were going to die many times before turning that expectation on its head. The moment the water creature pulls you under and gives you the breathing/ mind abilities would not have been the same without that initial expectation. It's not a cop out, it's a well thought-out design decision to elicit a very specific reaction from the gamer.
The ending sequence was similar.
Remember the arms were grabbing you a bit as you pulled the other helmets out, so when I get pulled in, my first thought was how that was pretty f'd up death and waited for the restart

But it didn't restart. And then I moved the analog stick and realized what was happening

Finished it, love it, looking forward to playing it again. No idea what to make of it all really but it was a joy to play and experience from start to finish. I’m not surprised it took 6 years to make given the standard everything is polished to. Hats off to Playdead, this might be my favourite “indy” game ever I think.

Time now to dive into all the theories people have come up with.

Oh, does anyone know where i can get the soundtrack? Or have any recs that are similar?

The more I think about it, this might be the case:

1) I'm not willing to admit my logic is broken and i'd rather blame the game.

2) if that was the intention of playdead then the metaphysics involved is way beyond what I'm prepared for.
Remember that game design is as much you playing the game as it is the developer playing with you. Guiding you with lighting and color and camera angles. Building expectations and conditioning through scripted scenarios and gameplay. Using sound and aesthetic and all that to evoke certain moods and expectations in the player.

GRaider81

Really enjoyed it but completely overhyped and overrated imo.

Still one of my favourite games so far this year though. I hadn't played limbo so I found the platforming and puzzles refreshing. The animations are amazing.

Yeah, I thought this game was incredible. Stayed up way too late playing it because I just didn't want to put the controller down.

I absolutely love that they just drop you straight into the story in this bizarre world, and never explain anything as you go. Made it feel very fresh and mysterious. This is the kind of storytelling in games that I love.

low-G

Finished it. A rock solid thematic, visual, and sound experience.

I don't think it's the least bit overhyped, but if you were expecting some gameplay or story marvel, you wouldn't find it. I think what the game is really about was never communicated to me effectively.

The game is more akin to Out of This World than Limbo, because things are changed up so much as you go, and it doesn't really push very hard to be a physics platformer at all.

I keep hearing that this game is around 3 hours long. Do people really think that this is good value for money with that run time? Doesn't seem like the type of game one would want to replay either.

I keep hearing that this game is around 3 hours long. Do people really think that this is good value for money with that run time? Doesn't seem like the type of game one would want to replay either.
Going by the reactions here, I think the answer to whether people feel it's a good value might be clear

The short length is one of the game's strengths. It's lean, briskly paced, and doesn't recycle puzzles. And like a good movie or show, it's fun replaying a good game

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

ymmv, but I replayed the game immediately after I beat it. Definitely think it was worth the money, and the short length helps it, because it's a game best experienced in one or two sittings.

Vexidus

Oh, does anyone know where i can get the soundtrack? Or have any recs that are similar?

Not sure about the game's soundtrack but I would love to buy it too. The style of music is called ambient drone and I've been into it ever since I played Limbo actually.

For similar music, my top recommendation would be an artist called 36. Here's a song of his called Deluge and another called Levitate. Best albums to start with are Hypersona, Hollow and Lithea.

Other artist recommendations are Koda, Lawrence English, Eluvium, Stars of the Lid, Loscil, Tim Hecker and Bersarin Quartett.

aravuus

20 euros is a bit steep, but the experience was definitely worth it

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Not sure about the game's soundtrack but I would love to buy it too. The style of music is called ambient drone and I've been into it ever since I played Limbo actually.

For similar music, my top recommendation would be an artist called 36. Here's a song of his called Deluge and another called Levitate. Best albums to start with are Hypersona, Hollow and Lithea.

Other artist recommendations are Koda, Lawrence English, Eluvium, Stars of the Lid, Loscil, Tim Hecker and Bersarin Quartett.

Thanks for this, I'm interested too so will check this out.

Dabanton

Why wouldn't it be? The run time is perfect and rewards replaying again.

For anyone who's finished it:

Go back and load the chapter at the end where they're trying to lure limb-o into a trap. Then turn the brightness way up. The kids in the background were already mentioned but if you look more closely there's a huge crowd of people watching the events unfold. Almost like they had a planned spectacle. It's really strange and hugely atmospheric.

Crumbtiny

Just beat the game and really enjoyed the experience overall. I started to load various checkpoints to get all the collectibles and I noticed achievements aren't popping when I get them.

Do I need to start a new game and collect them all in one run instead?

Edit: That's odd. A cheevo just popped for one after I loaded to that specific point. Nevermind i guess.

ShutterMunster

It's so interesting to come to this thread and read some of you guys' impressions. There is so much that I missed or just interpreted differently than you. I didn't think I was going to replay the game but I just might have to. I didn't even know there was an alternate ending until I came to this thread (HA!) Really fascinating game experience.

aravuus

Go back and load the chapter at the end where they're trying to lure limb-o into a trap. Then turn the brightness way up. The kids in the background were already mentioned but if you look more closely there's a huge crowd of people watching the events unfold. Almost like they had a planned spectacle. It's really strange and hugely atmospheric.

I wonder if my brightness setting was too high or something.
Noticed them all easily during my playthrough.

SMG

Going by the reactions here, I think the answer to whether people feel it's a good value might be clear

The short length is one of the game's strengths. It's lean, briskly paced, and doesn't recycle puzzles. And like a good movie or show, it's fun replaying a good game

Yup. Going to the cinema here costs £10, Inside cost £15 for 3 hours that was always interesting and never sought to waste the players time with repeated sections.
Since working my time is the valuable resource so anything that seeks to be the pure uncut form of itself is welcome over bloat.

It's so interesting to come to this thread and read some of you guys' impressions. There is so much that I missed or just interpreted differently than you. I didn't think I was going to replay the game but I just might have to. I didn't even know there was an alternate ending until I came to this thread (HA!) Really fascinating game experience.
Have you come by the spoiler thread?
Your part about the brave "rebel willing to revolt" gets turned on its head in unsettling haunting ways when you start thinking of the implications and hints

Corpekata

Banned
This is one of the few games of late, like Undertale, that really surprised me. So glad I didn't get anything spoiled for me.

Lima

Not this shit again. We already had this discussion in this thread. Yes it is worth every penny.

CloudWolf

The mere fact that every scientist is eagerly watching LIMB-O even before you arrive is a big hint that they were waiting for something to happen and that the entire "escape" was planned from the start.

It's probably the most replayable game(single player-wise) I've played all year actually. It's not brought down by useless filler like Uncharted 4, it's levels are more consistent in quality and varied than something like Doom and the artistic vision is more inspired than Dark Souls 3 which features plenty of callbacks to previous games in the series.

$20 is a more than worthy price for it. It features some of the greatest sound design ever, the artstyle is beautiful, the story can be interpreted in a plethora of ways and has a fantastic twist, the puzzles are highly intuitive, it has great animations and no load screens!

ShutterMunster

Have you come by the spoiler thread?
Your part about the brave "rebel willing to revolt" gets turned on its head in unsettling haunting ways when you start thinking of the implications and hints

YEAH! I did. I was reading you guy's thoughts and thought "Fuck. Did I completely misread this entire thing?" Even if so that is highly impressive from a narrative standpoint. It reminded me of my first time with Memento. I thought that movie was one way but upon rematching it years later it revealed itself to be something entirely different.

I still haven't checked out the alternate ending. I kinda want to play through the game again to try and figure out how to trigger that.

Mr. F

Banned
Sooo.

I'm at a point a fair ways into the
mermaid girl aversion puzzles, but there's one that has you having to swim down and press a button to open a door, but she gets me every time. I figured maybe I have to press the button and then press it again to close the door behind me, but I can't swim fast enough or buy myself enough time to not get killed.

Help!

TheYanger

Sooo.

I'm at a point a fair ways into the
mermaid girl aversion puzzles, but there's one that has you having to swim down and press a button to open a door, but she gets me every time. I figured maybe I have to press the button and then press it again to close the door behind me, but I can't swim fast enough or buy myself enough time to not get killed.

Help!

You need to press it once then leave and lure her away, you don't have time to press it twice in one sequence.

LowRoller

Yes, hell yes it's worth it. When I started the game I wondered how they spent so many years making a 3 hour game, but by the end I understood. The animation is pitch perfect, the sound design is oppressive and makes you feel like shit is about to go down any second and every puzzle is perfectly crafted in a way that was suprising,because of how the puzzles make you feel like you're always in control. It's 3 hours, but unlike other games it's 3 hours you won't forget anytime soon. And If you're like me and enjoy finding secrets, that's going to add another 30 minutes .

SoundLad

Finished the game in about 6 hours and then at around the 8 hour mark I found all of the secrets.

As you guys said, this experience was definitely worth the asking price. Such effort gone into every aspect of the game. Incredible atmosphere.

Did anyone else notice the photo hanging in the second secret room (underground hatch below the cornfield). Look closely at what it represents - yep that's right - the blob! So this pretty much confirms that the company has created at least one more of these blobs in the past!

dLMN8R

Let me put it this way: I value my time far more than I value my money.

Granted, this is because I have a well-paying job and $20 to me means something different than $20 to someone making less than me. And I totally respect that. Different people value different things for different reasons.

But to me, I wish every game was like Inside. Dense, elegant, brilliant, unique, and memorable.

It would have been very difficult for Inside to be a better game if it was longer. But it would be very easy for it to have been a worse, more repetitive, and less effective game if it was longer.

Finished the game in about 6 hours and then at around the 8 hour mark I found all of the secrets.

As you guys said, this experience was definitely worth the asking price. Such effort gone into every aspect of the game. Incredible atmosphere.

Did anyone else notice the photo hanging in the second secret room (underground hatch below the cornfield). Look closely at what it represents - yep that's right - the blob! So this pretty much confirms that the company has created at least one more of these blobs in the past!
How are you finishing this game in six hours? My second playthrough, I deliberately went really slow, looking for little details and such, searching for secrets, and it only took me a little for 4 hours

Top Bottom