• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

I was never a big fan of Limbo. It was atmospheric as all hell and it felt awesome to play, but the puzzles were a little tedious, and more than anything else it felt like it lacked a third act. It ended at the exact moment I thought it was finally starting to get into gear.

...Inside does not have this problem.

I was never a big fan of Limbo. It was atmospheric as all hell and it felt awesome to play, but the puzzles were a little tedious, and more than anything else it felt like it lacked a third act. It ended at the exact moment I thought it was finally starting to get into gear.

...Inside does not have this problem.

I felt like Inside did have this problem. It ends abruptly and left me thinking I missed a chunk of the game.

Justinian

Has anyone noticed
the clock in the room where you press up against the big glass window to see people running into the facility is showing the actual time? Any significance to this?

Has anyone noticed
the clock in the room where you press up against the big glass window to see people running into the facility is showing the actual time? Any significance to this?
End spoilers
Playing into the idea of the kid being a drone controlled you, the player, I'd guess.

blackw0lf

Is it just me or is Inside significantly easier than Limbo? Seems to rely less on good reflexes.

This isn't a bad thing, just an observation.

Perfec7_

Neo Member
Is it just me or is Inside significantly easier than Limbo? Seems to rely less on good reflexes.

This isn't a bad thing, just an observation.

It definitely is. The puzzles were far harder in Limbo as well. I think reflexes and puzzles were more of a backdrop compared to the story/awe of everything compared to Limbo, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I love both games.

ShutterMunster

How are you finishing this game in six hours? My second playthrough, I deliberately went really slow, looking for little details and such, searching for secrets, and it only took me a little for 4 hours

My original play time was 6hr 11mins. I don't know if they count the time paused though.

SoundLad

How are you finishing this game in six hours? My second playthrough, I deliberately went really slow, looking for little details and such, searching for secrets, and it only took me a little for 4 hours

I was trying to find secrets in every nook and cranny on the first playthrough. The underwater sections were the worst part since there was so much explorable space. Think I only missed out on about 2 secrets by the end of the first playthrough.

Also, now that I'm trying to remember, some of that time could have been spent idling/afk so I would say closer to 5 hours would be fair. The second run was much faster obviously :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wtf. Ok. That ending was..unexpected.

I started to make a list of weird things as I progressed through the game.
Firing chicks out of a cannon
Landing in a pile of pigs
Pig possessed by a worm up its butt?
Climb on a pig to reach mind control machine..
Inception (controlling person to control another person)
Merpeople
Hey now I'm a merboy
Katamari damn messy

I enjoyed the puzzles generally - they were all highly logical and yet not typically gamey - they felt more grounded in reality which is ironic. And special shout out to the underwater hair tech - I could watch that for hours.

I don't know how I feel about the ending. I suppose it's designed to stimulate an emotional response, but currently that response is simply 'wtf?'

nOoblet16

Game's alright, looks good but that's about it. Don't know what everyone meant when they said "It's shocking !" etc etc. There's not much to do and it feels like a walking simulator more than a puzzle platformer.

To me it seems that any decent looking minimalist game these days gets regarded as video game high art. The non-cohesive world gets mistaken for abstractness.

Game's alright, looks good but that's about it. Don't know what everyone meant when they said "It's shocking !" etc etc. There's not much to do and it feels like a walking simulator more than a puzzle platformer.

To me it seems that any decent looking minimalist game these days gets regarded as video game high art. The non-cohesive world gets mistaken for abstractness.
1) The game's not a puzzle platformer
2) There's a lot going on here beside "abstractness" that make it an impressive piece of game design and art.
The animations, how they convoy so much through a nervous glance or quickening sprint
The tightly-wound pacing, that builds tension from its first moment and constantly moves to new concepts rather recycle ideas.
The art style, which is actually quite detailed within its muted palette
The sound design and music.
The smart puzzle design, that always teaches through logic, never too hard to be twist your brain but clever enough that the solution evokes that "oh, of course it was that" reaction.
The wordless narrative and world-building that actually reveals a lot of details and unsettling hints about the world without beating you over the head with them

Something's been bothering me for the past 3 days, ever since I beat INSIDE, so I went back and replayed LIMBO just to be sure.

To be blunt, INSIDE is a thematically lazy game that relies on shock value and playing on the viewer's previous experiences with sci-fi horror tropes.

Even though LIMBO is far more cryptic about what is going on, I feel it earns its ending. You still don't know what is happening by the end, but you have a sense that there was some kind of progression that you went through. You're very clearly going through stages of something thematically linked and made to feel oppressed and confused and uncertain, even if you don't know what that something is.

In INSIDE, you are progressing through a landscape, but not a story. Yes, things about the world are revealed to you as you go on, but other than the PHENOMENAL opening sequence, there's no strong emotional tugging and no thematic progression beyond "Man, this shit's fucked up, amirite?" Then it comes to the ending that's so jarring that it leaves a strong impression, to be sure, but could be completely replaced by a different ending without changing the game significantly. Yes, the game has shown you dehumanization and isolation up to this point, but it never makes you *feel* it. Controlling the blob (which is technically amazing, for a programmer like me it was worth the $20 to play with that tech and guess how they did it) doesn't play off any of the themes explored previously in the game, because there were none.

Contrary to what people say, there isn't a whole lot of ambiguity in INSIDE. It's very obvious from the start that you're in the middle of an amoral scientific testing faculty on humans, and the final WTF moment could have been taken from almost any other sci-fi horror trope without changing the game. Ambiguity isn't always a sign that there's something deep hidden underneath. People are attempting to read more into INSIDE than there is.

nOoblet16

Just because you say it isn't does not make it a fact. It's branded as a puzzle platformer almost everywhere including steam, the people who gave it raving reviews and understood the game, and the developers themselves who quoted those reviews that call it a puzzle platformer on their own website !

2) There's a lot going on here beside "abstractness" that make it an impressive piece of game design and art.
The animations, how they convoy so much through a nervous glance or quickening sprint
The tightly-wound pacing, that builds tension from its first moment and constantly moves to new concepts rather recycle ideas.
The art style, which is actually quite detailed within its muted palette
The sound design and music.
The smart puzzle design, that always teaches through logic, never too hard to be twist your brain but clever enough that the solution evokes that "oh, of course it was that" reaction.
I said nothing about the art, animation, and puzzle design, which is actually even more basic than Limbo. It never evoked that reaction from me because it rarely if ever took more than two tries to figure out, in most cases I would do it in first attempt.

None of those are what I meant when I said abstractness. I said the lack of a cohesive world is mistaken for abstractness...which is exactly what you are doing in this following quote:

The wordless narrative and world-building that actually reveals a lot of details and unsettling hints about the world without beating you over the head with them

There is some world building and there are some detail but it is disjointed and you are just looking at things that aren't there if you say that it reveals a lot, and no it's not because "I don't get it"..I get it plenty. It can be more cohesive and sensible while still not beating all of it over your head....as you put it.

Justinian

Something's been bothering me for the past 3 days, ever since I beat INSIDE, so I went back and replayed LIMBO just to be sure.

To be blunt, INSIDE is a thematically lazy game that relies on shock value and playing on the viewer's previous experiences with sci-fi horror tropes.

Even though LIMBO is far more cryptic about what is going on, I feel it earns its ending. You still don't know what is happening by the end, but you have a sense that there was some kind of progression that you went through. You're very clearly going through stages of something thematically linked and made to feel oppressed and confused and uncertain, even if you don't know what that something is.

In INSIDE, you are progressing through a landscape, but not a story. Yes, things about the world are revealed to you as you go on, but other than the PHENOMENAL opening sequence, there's no strong emotional tugging and no thematic progression beyond "Man, this shit's fucked up, amirite?" Then it comes to the ending that's so jarring that it leaves a strong impression, to be sure, but could be completely replaced by a different ending without changing the game significantly. Yes, the game has shown you dehumanization and isolation up to this point, but it never makes you *feel* it. Controlling the blob (which is technically amazing, for a programmer like me it was worth the $20 to play with that tech and guess how they did it) doesn't play off any of the themes explored previously in the game, because there were none.

Contrary to what people say, there isn't a whole lot of ambiguity in INSIDE. It's very obvious from the start that you're in the middle of an amoral scientific testing faculty on humans, and the final WTF moment could have been taken from almost any other sci-fi horror trope without changing the game. Ambiguity isn't always a sign that there's something deep hidden underneath. People are attempting to read more into INSIDE than there is.

So you praise LIMBO for being vague and non-literal but don't afford INSIDE the same? What you felt during each game is highly subjective but don't just dismiss people's interpretations of INSIDE with such authority just because you weren't feeling it.

Just because you say it isn't does not make it a fact. It's branded as a puzzle platformer almost everywhere including steam, the people who gave it raving reviews and understood the game, and the developers themselves who quoted those reviews that call it a puzzle platformer on their own website !

I said nothing about the art, animation, and puzzle design, which is actually even more basic than Limbo. It never evoked that reaction from me because it rarely if ever took more than two tries to figure out, in most cases I would do it in first attempt.

None of those are what I meant when I said abstractness. I said the lack of a cohesive world is mistaken for abstractness...which is exactly what you are doing in this following quote:

There is some world building and there are some detail but it is disjointed and you are just looking at things that aren't there if you say that it reveals a lot, and no it's not because "I don't get it"..I get it plenty. It can be more cohesive and sensible while still not beating all of it over your head....as you put it.
It's a cinematic platformer. It fits every aspect of a cinematic platformer to a tee. Just because people label it a puzzle platformer doesn't make it so

Taken from ichtyander's fantastic Cinematic Platformer Compendium thread, the elements that define a cinematic platformer:
  • Grounded in reality - characters are anatomically correct, extremely vulnerable, take lethal falling and environmental damage, firearm combat requires you to pull out weapon before use, items and interactive elements are always in a logical location (on floor, wall, no floating coins etc.)
  • Realistic movement - fluid step-based movement, slow and clunky compared to mascot platformers, realistic jump height/distance, running inertia and shifting weight, vertical movement is often done by climbing on platform ledges, rocks, ladders or using elevators
  • Trial and error gameplay - revolves around memorization and trial and error, frequent deaths are a part of the learning process, checkpoints are often implemented, unlimited retries, item and environment based puzzles (bring battery to generator, blow up rock to open a path etc.), often fairly short games once you know what you’re doing
  • Environments and hazards - plenty of one-hit-kill hazards and traps, cliffs and pits, destructible doors/barriers, hostile creatures and enemies, levels often have backtracking and free roaming between small areas
  • Well animated visuals - 2D side view, exceptionally fluid rotoscoped or 3D pre-rendered character animations, screen flipping scenes, UI is minimal to nonexistent, numerous (and gruesome) death and plot cutscenes
  • Minimalistic storytelling - ranging from no text or dialogue to a few short lines or cutscenes, silent protagonist, the plot often revolving around being suddenly thrown into a hostile and/or alien environment over the course of a few hours to a day or so
  • Cinematic presentation - achieved with well animated characters and action sequences, unique cinematic set pieces with special actions and input requirements (Another World – rocking the cage, kicking an enemy in the nuts, pressing random buttons on a cockpit etc.), long stretches of silence broken by dramatic music in action situations, custom cutscenes and animations for almost every brutal way you can die
Inside hits all of those marks. Compare the structure and progress of Braid to this, how the puzzle platformer typically has distinct levels that iterate on a puzzle mechanic and your main goal is to simply solve the puzzle. While the cinematic platformer like Inside, the puzzles tend to be part of the environment and tied to your more over-arching goal of traversal and continuing through the world. You aren't solving a puzzle because finding the solution is the goal; it's an obstacle in your path.

The puzzles may have been more overtly game-y in Limbo but they're much better designed here, integrated into the environment in much more cohesive ways. Often they feel less like distinct puzzles and more like obstacles to need you to surmount to continue your journey

nOoblet16

It's a cinematic platformer. It fits every aspect of a cinematic platformer to a tee. Just because people label it a puzzle platformer doesn't make it so

Taken from ichtyander's fantastic Cinematic Platformer Compendium thread, the elements that define a cinematic platformer:

Inside hits all of those marks. Compare the structure and progress of Braid to this, how the puzzle platformer typically has distinct levels that iterate on a puzzle mechanic and your main goal is to simply solve the puzzle. While the cinematic platformer like Inside, the puzzles tend to be part of the environment and tied to your more over-arching goal of traversal and continuing through the world. You aren't solving a puzzle because finding the solution is the goal; it's an obstacle in your path.

By that definition Limbo is not a puzzle platformer either then And yet...
Suffice to say, the developer does not agree with you...there are no interviews for Inside but if there was I am sure you would have seen them refer it as the same.

The puzzles may have been in more game-y in Limbo but they're much better designed here, integrated into the environment in a much more cohesive ways. Often they feel like less distinct puzzles and more like obstacles to need you to surmount to continue your journey
How is that any different from Limbo?

TheYanger

Honestly, your post makes it look like you haven't played the game. If you had you'd know damn well what was shocking.

Anyone play on integrated graphics? Particularly i7 6700k? I had to send my gfx back and my wife is wondering if she can play while I am at work.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Anyone play on integrated graphics? Particularly i7 6700k? I had to send my gfx back and my wife is wondering if she can play while I am at work.
Looking at the benchmark for some other games, the HD530 that's in 6700k seems to be slightly below the discrete 650M GPU (~20% worse as far as I can see). If so, you'll be fine if you play at 720p. The game runs at 60FPS in 900p on my i7 / 650M Macbook pro.

While 720p seems low, the game has heavy and very effective antialiasing, so it doesn't look terribly crappy in lower resolutions. For example, I think it looks perfectly fine at 900p and very acceptable in 720p on a 15" laptop screen. And this is coming from someone who pays a lot of attention to image quality.

Looking at the benchmark for some other games, the HD530 that's in 6700k seems to be slightly below the discrete 650M GPU (~20% worse as far as I can see). If so, you'll be fine if you play at 720p. The game runs at 60FPS in 900p on my i7 / 650M Macbook pro.

While 720p seems low, the game has heavy and very effective antialiasing, so it doesn't look terribly crappy in lower resolutions. For example, I think it looks perfectly fine at 900p and very acceptable in 720p on a 15" laptop screen. And this is coming from someone who pays a lot of attention to image quality.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick, detailed reply. I will walk her through reducing the resolution.

justjim89

I'm stuck about 2 hours in at the part with the
explosive pulses, the rotating machinery and the ladder. There's a switch to stop the machinery to block the pulses, but then I can't get through the rest of the room in time. It seems like I need to have the machinery stopped for the ladder part, but going for the rest of the room.
But that can't be done, can it?

There've been some real tough puzzles in this. I haven't had to look anything up like I did for Limbo, though.

Also, I'm playing on Steam and haven't popped any achievements yet. By the icons, it looks like they're tied to story progress/things I've done, but they haven't activated. Bug?

TheYanger

I'm stuck about 2 hours in at the part with the
explosive pulses, the rotating machinery and the ladder. There's a switch to stop the machinery to block the pulses, but then I can't get through the rest of the room in time. It seems like I need to have the machinery stopped for the ladder part, but going for the rest of the room.
But that can't be done, can it?

There've been some real tough puzzles in this. I haven't had to look anything up like I did for Limbo, though.

Also, I'm playing on Steam and haven't popped any achievements yet. By the icons, it looks like they're tied to story progress/things I've done, but they haven't activated. Bug?

No, what you asked can't be done. That should tell you that what you're thinking isn't exactly the answer :) If that's not enough:
You don't need to stop the thing, you only need to stop it long enough to sync it up so that it's in the proper place as you're being pulsed on the ladder.

The achievements are exclusively tied to the secrets if it's like the XBLversion.

Fret

I really enjoyed this game but honestly, it's far too short. The ending shot was disappointing and just made me go "that's it?". It almost feels like Firewatch, they ran out of money and were forced to quickly rush the ending.

I really enjoyed this game but honestly, it's far too short. The ending shot was disappointing and just made me go "that's it?". It almost feels like Firewatch, they ran out of money and were forced to quickly rush the ending.

I'm sure it ended exactly as they intended. "Would rather have a medium amount of a really good pizza, or a large amount of a pretty good pizza?"

That was fucking excellent.

Lovecraftian katamari busting out from it's tank into a room of screaming scientists was fucking surreal. Aw man.

Stoze

Those things aren't mutually exclusive, it can be both. Not to mention people categorizing things are what make genres...genres.

Also calling this game just "decent looking" is the biggest understatement of the year imo. One of the best looking sidescrollers in motion I've ever played by a long shot.

TheYanger

Haha to be fair, that's technically true of every game you play.

No it's not :) It's true that you've never experienced something exactly the same, but I would say, for example, League of Legends is 'like' Dota, World of Warcraft is 'like' EverQuest, Quake is 'like' Doom... ESPECIALLY when it comes to the experience of playing it, I can't even compare limbo to this, a game that has many similar mechanics, but feels SOOOOO far off.

Kangi

Finished the game.

One of my biggest gripes about LIMBO
was that the last part of the game is just non-stop puzzles in a factory setting. The atmosphere, the morbid tone, the "survival" feel... just sorta simmers into nothing until suddenly bam! Ending.

Actually, INSIDE winds up similarly, but it never loses its intrigue.
The ending being as bombastic as it is helps. But even when you're in the depths of the factory going from puzzle to puzzle, there's enough fresh stuff and creepy elements to keep you hooked. And the puzzles stay more... incidental, I suppose? Rather than "Hey get that box from point A to point B, then to point D while standing on point C!", the puzzles feel more like a natural part of your progression into the depths.

And lastly, yeah. The folks at Playdead are masters of ambience, that much is sure after these two games... and after this one? Masters of character animation as well. Gorgeous.

Edit: Oh! And favorite segment:
The shockwave chambers. Just amazing in every way.

filly

Spoilers for the end game...
I still trying to process how complex all the limb animation must of been to pull of, I really have never seen anything like it. And the whole game just oozes effort. Incredibly impressive work. Every part of it felt like art.

NeoRaider

Just got it for PC. Installing...

IZ7mrQ5.png

excited-baby.gif

I was REALLY torn between INSIDE and Furi. But decided to buy this first, Furi can wait.

mxgt

Banned
And lastly, yeah. The folks at Playdead are masters of ambience, that much is sure after these two games... and after this one? Masters of character animation as well. Gorgeous.
[/spoiler]

I don't think this can be said enough.

Just incredible animation, attention to detail, music, timing of music, ambience, etc, etc.

Honestly the above was my main draw to the game and it exceeded my expectations.

I think my favourite part aside from
the Shockwaves
was the first time you
break through the floor in the Submarine, the camera zooms out to this huge expanse and that music starts playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwlWL1legEQ

The non-cohesive world gets mistaken for abstractness.

Games are subjective, but I can't fathom how anyone could suggest that Inside somehow has a 'non-cohesive' world.

It's one of the best examples in gaming of a cohesive world - almost every frame, animation and sound are crafted to feel like they belong together - the attention to detail and cohesiveness of Inside is probably the most impressive thing about the game.

I want the sound from when
you get shot with the spiral thingy - the sound that's like a guitar string breaking -
as my incoming text sound on my phone. Gotta find that when I'm done and it's safe to go searching around the web.

Nevermind, as I typed that, I didn't realize you could go back to other levels. So, made it myself. Link in quote

Atrophis

Just finished.

Might be the most horrifying thing I've ever played. That ending.

The whole thing is so well crafted and amazingly polished its no wonder it took so long to make. Outstanding work in every way.

daemissary

Has anyone else had an issue with achievements not popping? I've hit X and pulled on at least 3 of those funky orb collectibles and not one has proc'ed for me.

NeoRaider

Finished the game today and i have no words. One of the best games i ever played. I loved Limbo, finished it 2 or 3 times but this is even better. They did it! If i have to compare them i think that INSIDE left bigger impression on me and it was just more "powerful".
That atmosphere, music, some scenes and parts of the game, the last half hour, ending... i will need 2 days to recover from everything. Amazing experience.

(Play time: Around 4h30m)

Finished the game, took me a bit under three hours (only found like 3 orbs though).

Overall I really liked the game and I am glad it was so short. Nearly everything is amazing, especially the art style and atmosphere (through the brilliant use of audio). There were tons of times I just went "woah" and there were some parts that are just timeless.

Playing the game felt great, but there were times that I wished that the boy ran much faster . The game involves lots of backtracking, which at times felt just somewhat tedious. Many of the puzzles were really well made, but they weren't exactly hard or "puzzling" in general; the solution was usually the first one I tried. Luckily there was more to the gameplay itself than "run around and grab boxes" and the game did offer quite a high variety of gameplay elements. Best of all I think I am missing something too
because there were some never used gameplay stuff in the secrets, like scaring off dogs with fire.

TL;DR: The game is great, it will make you go "wow", go buy it.

I decided to buy Inside on a whim yesterday(not really played much of Limbo past the first spider encounter). I started in the morning and finished at night (I took a few breaks during the day) and playtime would have been 4-5 hours all told).

It was just fucking amazing and I have no hesitation calling this a Game of the Year contender.

JSR_Cube

Got it today. Finished it today.

PROS
- great atmosphere and mood
- great graphics/presentation
- wacky and original

CONS
- there was an opportunity for more ambient music or soundtrack
- several of the puzzles didn't fit with the game/setting
- too many puzzles relied on timing and trial and error and not reflexes or anything
- a bit short for the price ($15 would have been better)

Con #2 really bothered me. It wasn't an issue at the start but later on, like I need to amass 19 guys on a pressure plate (why?) and buttons that nobody except a giant mass of flesh could reach (why?). I just think that it was a bit lazy with those parts.

I think I'd give it an 8/10. I think I liked Limbo a bit more than Inside, if I had to pick one.

Got it today. Finished it today.

PROS
- great atmosphere and mood
- great graphics/presentation
- wacky and original

CONS
- there was an opportunity for more ambient music or soundtrack
- several of the puzzles didn't fit with the game/setting
- too many puzzles relied on timing and trial and error and not reflexes or anything
- a bit short for the price ($15 would have been better)

Con #2 really bothered me. It wasn't an issue at the start but later on, like I need to amass 19 guys on a pressure plate (why?) and buttons that nobody except a giant mass of flesh could reach (why?). I just think that it was a bit lazy with those parts.

I think I'd give it an 8/10. I think I liked Limbo a bit more than Inside, if I had to pick one.
That second one isn't so out of place when you consider the theory that they were testing/studying the blob and had been prepared for something to happen/your arrival.
You should come by the spoiler thread

JSR_Cube

That second one isn't so out of place when you consider the theory that they were testing/studying the blob and had been prepared for something to happen/your arrival.
You should come by the spoiler thread

I will take a look. I wanted to go in blind and avoiding spoilers.

Not sure about the game's soundtrack but I would love to buy it too. The style of music is called ambient drone and I've been into it ever since I played Limbo actually.

For similar music, my top recommendation would be an artist called 36. Here's a song of his called Deluge and another called Levitate. Best albums to start with are Hypersona, Hollow and Lithea.

Other artist recommendations are Koda, Lawrence English, Eluvium, Stars of the Lid, Loscil, Tim Hecker and Bersarin Quartett.

Just seen this, thanks a lot i'll check them out.

Top Bottom