• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Been stuck at the same spot now for 20 minutes or so. I'm almost done with the game but this has been by far the hardest part.

I'm at the part with the wind automatically killing you and the spinning oval thing that goes in circles. I'm trying to time the jump with the protection of the oval but I die everytime.

Edit: I did it! With the help of a YouTube video :(

epmode

Just waiting on that Steam release.....really dumb to have the game come out a week later i have to say, especially since everyone says to go in fresh. I mean i can see if its like months later cause they gotta port it, but this shit is clearly ready.

Think they delayed so it wouldn't be swallowed by the summer sale?

Wigdogger

I echo what others have said here. Quite an experience. Playdead really distilled a vision for this game, and the polish is off the charts.

- Don't read spoilers
- Use headphones
- Take the time to take it all in

There are so many great sequences throughout this game, and I agree with others who said that there wasn't a single framerate hitch or glitch that took me out of the game. That's quality.

That final act... wowsers.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Major spoilers about 75% of the way through but not end game spoilers:

Holy shit when the Mermaid/Witch is pulling you down and you think it's Game Over and all of the sudden you reach the bottom with the video cassettes and those two beaming lights on you. The music as she takes you down and now I can swim freely without drowning.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
One thing I will say about this game is it has AMAZING checkpoints.

Every single freaking game on the planet should do checkpoints like this. I'm tired of having to go back and redo 10 minutes of tedious gameplay, because devs either were too lazy to make better checkpoints, or too brain dead to realize that being annoying isn't the same thing as being challenging.

Kudos to Playdead for realizing that. Great game so far, I'm hoping it never ends.

Did anyone figure out the combination
for a secret door? After destroying all the small orbs and shutting down the big one at the end a secret door under the cornfield will have a power now but there is a certain combination to open it and I can't figure it out :(

Did anyone figure out the combination for a secret door? After destroying all the small orbs and shutting down the big one at the end a secret door under the cornfield will have a power now but there is a certain combination to open them and I can't figure it out :(

There is a YouTube video linked in the spoiler thread.

Im stuck! Halp! About half way through.

the part with the witch thing underwater. How do ido this? If i hit the wood above it takes the night off of her and she kills me

psychotron

Game is awesome! I'm only about an hour in and I'm loving it. The controls are simple but very tight. I may need to go back and finally give Limbo a shot now.

Montresor

Maybe I'm being a bit sensitive but I could've reaaaaaallly done without knowing (Inside Spoilers)
that Inside has a secret door with a secret combination
. Come on guys... =/

Edit: Actually no I'm not being sensitive. That is a big deal and should be spoilered in black text.

TheYanger

Maybe I'm being a bit sensitive but I could've reaaaaaallly done without knowing
. Come on guys... =/

Yeah always blows my mind how insensitive people can be about shit like that literally the day a thing comes out.

Noobcraft

This game has more "Nope" factor than any other game I've ever played. I'm filled with absolute dread and I haven't finished it yet D:

Folk weren't kidding about headphones. Holy shit at that
"bass"
part. What a ride though, the game just kept escalating.

Also, that has got to be one of the slickest games I've ever played. Everything is so incredible fluid; had no idea it was a Unity game until the credits.

Maybe I'm being a bit sensitive but I could've reaaaaaallly done without knowing (Inside Spoilers)
. Come on guys... =/

Edit: Actually no I'm not being sensitive. That is a big deal and should be spoilered in black text.

You can see it at the very beginning of the game like 20 minutes in, maybe less. I'm pretty sure you did and just ignored it cause you couldn't interact with it. You just can't open it unless you do what you have to do to open it. I did put spoiler tags now, sorry if I ruined your experience.

Not sure if you played Limbo but it was really expected from Playdead to do the same thing in INSIDE like they did in Limbo and they did.

Im stuck! Halp! About half way through.

the part with the witch thing underwater. How do ido this? If i hit the wood above it takes the night off of her and she kills me

The door is blocked by a piece of wood, keep it out of the door with your light facing it, ram the wood to close the door then you are safe.

SlickVic

I take it the performance and framerate is pretty solid on Xbox One? Runs at native 1080p?

Just debating whether to wait for it on sale on PC or just use up a $10 credit I have on Xbox.

I take it the performance and framerate is pretty solid on Xbox One? Runs at native 1080p?

Just debating whether to wait for it on sale on PC or just use up a $10 credit I have on Xbox.

10 dollars is absolutely worth it for this game.

It's 1080/60 and absolute 0 hitches.

No idea about resolution but never noticed a drop or hitch in framerate. Game uses some filtering on it to give the visuals a more "filmic" aesthetic so it's not a super sharp image but it looks fantastic with no (at least I didn't see any) aliasing issues.

Montresor

You can see it at the very beginning of the game like 20 minutes in, maybe less. I'm pretty sure you did and just ignored it cause you couldn't interact with it. You just can't open it unless you do what you have to do to open it. I did put spoiler tags now, sorry if I ruined your experience.

Not sure if you played Limbo but it was really expected from Playdead to do the same thing in INSIDE like they did in Limbo and they did.

If it's 20 minutes in and I missed it and walked past it then that makes me much happier. :)

dugdug

Banned
I'm baffled at the 10s. Just finished it, and, while I had a good time with it, I found Limbo much more impactful. Cool ending though.

SlickVic

10 dollars is absolutely worth it for this game.

It's 1080/60 and absolute 0 hitches.

No idea about resolution but never noticed a drop or hitch in framerate. Game some filtering on it to give the visuals a more "filmic" aesthetic so it's not a super sharp image but it looks fantastic with no (at least I didn't see any) aliasing issues.

Thanks for the replies. Think I'll just go for the Xbox version.

The first post says 3.5 to 5 hours, which seems to be consistent with the reviews I read.
Took me about 4 hours, but I was stuck on a few puzzles and there were a few fun moments I had to replay multiple times

Talking about puzzles, the design here is way more sophisticated than Limbo. Most never really felt like "puzzles", but more like you just naturally interacting with the environment and world to get through an area

I'm just really fascinated by this game and dev. They spend SIX years making what amounts to a 4 hour game, but what's in there is pretty flawless. The dev consists of a small team, and they kind of don't have a very large media presence. They've tweeted 3 times in 2 years, they released a total of 2 trailers for this game, give it almost no marketing, and then just give reviewers the codes for this game out of no where.

SlickVic

I'm just really fascinated by this game and dev. They spend SIX years making what amounts to a 4 hour game, but what's in there is pretty flawless. The dev consists of a small team, and they kind of don't have a very large media presence. They've tweeted 3 times in 2 years, they released a total of 2 trailers for this game, give it almost no marketing, and then just give reviewers the codes for this game out of no where.

Yeah I think it's really cool they got a full 6 years to make the game, and it sounds like it turned out very well. I always love to see such a carefully crafted game. It may be on the shorter side, but you can tell so much effort went into each individual moment. Haven't played Inside yet, but definitely got that sense out of a game like Journey and hoping to see this evoke a similar feeling as well.

They made in Limbo in 6 years as well.

Grisby

The animations for the main character are really something else.
It really is. Got done with a section and the boy was
hunched over for quite while catching his breath. Pretty sure he rubbed his face a bit too
, but it all looked great.
Easily one of my favorite parts.
The way they were able to convey a real sense of space in the 2d plane is extraordinary. And the lead up to it, with the
rooms before that shaking
, was awesome.

Gwyn

Well this game is something else...

tOJKw.gif

TheYanger

It's amazing just how much better this game is than Limbo

It really is. I enjoyed limbo, but it was very rudimentary until close to the end, felt more like a walking simulator in many places, but with immense style.

Inside is a legit fucking game through and through. puzzles that are more than just moving a block.

Courage

I'm also a bigger fan of Inside's aesthetic. It's got a very distinctive, dystopian look, and along with the game's physics, help amplify the weirder and tenser parts.

Are there any reviews that tell you why it's good without saying why they shouldn't?

Do us a favor. Just don't review it if you can't express yourself.

TheYanger

Are there any reviews that tell you why it's good without saying why they shouldn't?

Do us a favor. Just don't review it if you can't express yourself.

They all do?

Because it's a very well realized puzzle platformer wtih an insane atmosphere and story, they all say they don't want to give EXAMPLES because that's different, and would actively harm the experience.

Top Bottom