• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE Review Thread (Playdead's new game, devs of Limbo)

Could this end up being the game with the highest metacritic rating on XB1? Seems like it, and well deserved.

The comments are all overwhelmingly positive for this game. I usually get home at around 12:10am EDT every night after work... I've got the game preloaded so I'll fire this up as soon as I'm home!

No. GTA V and MGS 5 both have better scores.

Montresor

No. GTA V and MGS 5 both have better scores.

o_O You are absolutely right. I am shocked to see those metacritic scores for those two games.

The top three for XB1 now are:

GTA V: 97 metacritic
MGS V: 95 metacritic
Inside: 92 metacritic

Congrats to the Playdead team either way! :D

It's dramatically better than Limbo in every way but particularly in puzzle/gameplay design, which is a lot more robust and involved, and in the sheer scale of the environments and scenarios.

This probably sounds hyperbolic, but Limbo seriously feels like a proof of concept or prototype next to Inside. God I am dying to see what people think about some of the insane shit in this game.

Thanks for chiming in, Brad Shoemaker! Sounds great.

Chobel

Gamespot gave it 8/10...

Oh i just remembered game is not available on PS4.

Edit: Kotaku

loyozjs778wkk3rwkkts.PNG

Not this shit again.

xviper

i haven't bought anything from xbox since Halo 5 came out, inside might break the curse, i just want to know how long the game is, congrats to microsoft on their first exclusive to reach 90+ from MC on xbox one

i haven't bought anything from xbox since Halo 5 came out, inside might break the curse, i just want to know how long the game is, congrats to microsoft on their first exclusive to reach 90+ from MC on xbox one
I've seen length range from 3.5 to 5 hours

robotrock

Banned
So is there going to be anyway I can play this a little bit earlier than 12pm EST? Like some good old fashioned Xbox One region swapping?

I just hope gamespot's geniuses don't spoil the ending of the game like they like to do on their video reviews.

I'm not going to take the risk but I'm writing this in case you want to see a video review.

sikkinixx

Looks really cool and I'll grab it when money isn't so tight but from watching the Kotaku thing it's more of the trial and error so you kinda have to experience the "lolz look at this kid meet horrible deaths!" thing the developers seem to fetishize a bit which is a bit of a bummer.

Tall Paul

Playdead just tweeted: INSIDE is live on Xbox One at precisely 10am UTC, June 29 in all territories. We have misleading info on the net regarding the release time.

So that puts it at 11:00am on Wed uk time I think.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So was the marketing for this game by design? You don't hear anything and even the E3 trailer said absolutely nothing, then the embargo lifts and it looks like it's almost unanimous praise.

Looks really cool and I'll grab it when money isn't so tight but from watching the Kotaku thing it's more of the trial and error so you kinda have to experience the "lolz look at this kid meet horrible deaths!" thing the developers seem to fetishize a bit which is a bit of a bummer.
Just like Another World
It's a classic cinematic platformer element

Taken from ichtyander's fantastic Cinematic Platformer Compendium thread, the elements that define a cinematic platformer:
  • Grounded in reality - characters are anatomically correct, extremely vulnerable, take lethal falling and environmental damage, firearm combat requires you to pull out weapon before use, items and interactive elements are always in a logical location (on floor, wall, no floating coins etc.)
  • Realistic movement - fluid step-based movement, slow and clunky compared to mascot platformers, realistic jump height/distance, running inertia and shifting weight, vertical movement is often done by climbing on platform ledges, rocks, ladders or using elevators
  • Trial and error gameplay - revolves around memorization and trial and error, frequent deaths are a part of the learning process, checkpoints are often implemented, unlimited retries, item and environment based puzzles (bring battery to generator, blow up rock to open a path etc.), often fairly short games once you know what you’re doing
  • Environments and hazards - plenty of one-hit-kill hazards and traps, cliffs and pits, destructible doors/barriers, hostile creatures and enemies, levels often have backtracking and free roaming between small areas
  • Well animated visuals - 2D side view, exceptionally fluid rotoscoped or 3D pre-rendered character animations, screen flipping scenes, UI is minimal to nonexistent, numerous (and gruesome) death and plot cutscenes
  • Minimalistic storytelling - ranging from no text or dialogue to a few short lines or cutscenes, silent protagonist, the plot often revolving around being suddenly thrown into a hostile and/or alien environment over the course of a few hours to a day or so
  • Cinematic presentation - achieved with well animated characters and action sequences, unique cinematic set pieces with special actions and input requirements (Another World – rocking the cage, kicking an enemy in the nuts, pressing random buttons on a cockpit etc.), long stretches of silence broken by dramatic music in action situations, custom cutscenes and animations for almost every brutal way you can die

Plus the brutal deaths hammer home the brutal nature of the world. Like Limbo, it's not brutal for the sake of "look, gore!"

Dynasty

So was the marketing for this game by design? You don't hear anything and even the E3 trailer said absolutely nothing, then the embargo lifts and it looks like it's almost unanimous praise.

Game is short and is best experienced by going in completely blind. I guess they saw no reason to reveal much and thought the game would speak for itself with the review scores.

Remember seeing some artwork with a child and a dead pig about 4-5 years ago, this was after limbo came out and they confirmed they were working on a new game, Project 2.

E3 2014 MS conference they finally showed it off and I so intrigued by it, looked so creepy.

Personally when Chris Charla said it was out in two weeks at most recent E3 show, I thought that was a megaton, it had been so quiet I was half expecting it to be another year away.

I am pre-loaded and ready to go, roll on midnight.

Little marketing was on purpose for sure. They already have their own fan base for those who bought Limbo on launch. The goal is to show as little as possible because people that play their games want to know as little as possible (at least I do). They've established a form of trust where I don't care what they make after this because I'm buying it anyway. These guys are fucking pros at making games & take their sweet time.

whyman

So i could not resist and got it for xbone. It said release 00:01 CET. Well thats 30 min ago! Is this normal for Xbone games?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Game is short and is best experienced by going in completely blind. I guess they saw no reason to reveal much and thought the game would speak for itself with the review scores.

Little marketing was on purpose for sure. They already have their own fan base for those who bought Limbo on launch. The goal is to show as little as possible because people that play their games want to know as little as possible (at least I do). They've established a form of trust where I don't care what they make after this because I'm buying it anyway. These guys are fucking pros at making games & take their sweet time.

Cool. I knew I was going to buy it because I absolutely loved Limbo, but it almost feels like this popped out of the ether as a lovely gift into our laps.

On a side note, the XB1/Windows store is vastly improved if you're in the preview build. When it first came out, it was a hot mess.

Top Bottom