• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE Review Thread (Playdead's new game, devs of Limbo)

I saw that Giant Bomb's quick look is only 16 mins long, so does it not go too far into the spoiler zone? Basically, is it a part from the beginning that sets up the rest of the game for example?

Doesn't look like a particularly hardware taxing game - my mediocre pc should be able to handle it. Good, cos I don't have an Xbox One and the game will probably take longer than usual to come to ps4, owing to the timed exclusivity.

gweemz

I know absolutely nothing about this game, but based on the company and review scores, I will definitely be playing this tomorrow!

This game looks awesome, why have I never heard of it before I saw this thread?
Been in development for six years, only had two trailers and the first one was in 2014 and the last one was this month

But I think that was by design, and also a sign of confidence. Anything from the devs of Limbo wouldn't need to worry about getting attention from press, and I'm sure the team was confident about their game's quality that they could let the reactions and impressions speak for the game rather than putting out a ton of previews and footage

antitrop

Talk about a stealth release.

I get it, though, all they need to do is say "from the developers of LIMBO". Even my mom played LIMBO on her iPad, everyone knows that game.

How the fuck did I miss this? And Limbo was one of my all time favorite game.

Preordering on Steam even though I don't have my new GPU yet.

Been in development for six years, only had two trailers and the first one was in 2014 and the last one was this month

But I think that was by design, and also a sign of confidence. Anything from the devs of Limbo wouldn't need to worry about getting attention from press, and I'm sure the team was confident about their game's quality that they could let the reactions and impressions speak for the game rather than putting out a ton of previews and footage

Well I hope it really works out for them, this is the most pleasant surprise of today.

samred

Hey all, Sam from Ars Technica here. Just wanted to let y'all know that if you haven't read these reviews yet, tread carefully. This is a game whose impact is best when you go in with zero expectation of what's going to happen. Saying it's "from the people who made Limbo, with similar gameplay, but with way better visual and audio tech" doesn't spoil what you're getting into. Saying much more will. (I did my damnedest to write exactly that kind of review, which is linked in the OP.)

And I think that's a big win for Playdead's PR team here. Zero advance buzz, zero hype-filled presentations. They just dumped codes into critics' laps and said, "here, this is awesome, embargo's in a few weeks, you'll figure this game out." I guarantee you that jacked up more than a few review scores as a result.

Stoze

It's dramatically better than Limbo in every way but particularly in puzzle/gameplay design, which is a lot more robust and involved, and in the sheer scale of the environments and scenarios.

This probably sounds hyperbolic, but Limbo seriously feels like a proof of concept or prototype next to Inside. God I am dying to see what people think about some of the insane shit in this game.

Damn, that's good to hear. I liked LIMBO, but I definitely didn't love it as much as a lot of the press back in the day. The E3 2014 trailer totally gripped me though and I've been very much looking forward to the final release since.

I will try to keep my hype and expectations in check despite the glowing reviews. Shouldn't be too hard as I don't plan on even glancing at this thread or the OT after today until I'm finished with the game come next weekend.

NeoRaider

Hey all, Sam from Ars Technica here. Just wanted to let y'all know that if you haven't read these reviews yet, tread carefully. This is a game whose impact is best when you go in with zero expectation of what's going to happen. Saying it's "from the people who made Limbo, with similar gameplay, but with way better visual and audio tech" doesn't spoil what you're getting into. Saying much more will. (I did my damnedest to write exactly that kind of review, which is linked in the OP.)

And I think that's a big win for Playdead's PR team here. Zero advance buzz, zero hype-filled presentations. They just dumped codes into critics' laps and said, "here, this is awesome, embargo's in a few weeks, you'll figure this game out." I guarantee you that jacked up more than a few review scores as a result.

Thank you. I agree with you. It was the same with Limbo if i remember correctly. There wasn't much buzz and hype around it but over the years it proved to be one of the best games ever and i can even say kinda iconic. I think and hope that Inside will have similar future.

It must be really hard working on review for this kind of games...

gamz

Cool!

If you loved Limbo, you can quit reading now

That's all I need to know...I'll read the review after I finish it.

Dabanton

And this is why I'm happy I'll be playing as soon as it releases tomorrow. As by the weekend, I'm expecting massive spoilers gifs and videos being posted maybe not on here but it's annoyingly inevitable.

Alucrid

Banned

cool, will wait til it's out on other platforms then. thanks for the heads up.

Noobcraft

Just curious. I just bought this because of review scores (pretty much blind) but I didn't like Limbo much. If I didn't like Limbo would that potentially stop me from liking this?

Hazard

Neo Member
Pre ordered it a few minutes ago, can´t wait.
I´m not going to read any reviews so I don´t get spoiled, but the scores look promising

NeoRaider

He just does his job.

This happens way more on PlayStation....

It's almost like he works there.

It's not like he's head of Xbox or anything...

Why must Sony ruin everything with their "Exclusive to PS4 forever."

Ugh.

/s

I wasn't being serious with my post. But some of these replies really made me lol. :D

I really like this type of game (Another World is one of my all-time favorites) but was disappointed by Limbo (decent opening hour and went downhill from there). Not sure whether to believe the reviewer hype since Limbo got really good scores as well.

Top Bottom