• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider - “I'm confident that we will hear more from Sony this Q3, next year might be their most important, and one of the best years this Generation”

Fabieter

They didn't fuck up anything if you look at the graph. It had no affect on trajectory. There were 2 AA (maybe AAA) first party single player games released this year and combined they didn't perform better than the 1 GaaS Helldivers. The problem is that people like you moan and pretend these AA games don't exist while those GaaS games like Helldivers rack up sales/players. Then you wonder why there is a GaaS push.

I'm not talking about game sales; I'm talking about their poor console sales, which are even worse than Sony expected. Most people won't buy a console for just one decent game. But if you have five games, the chances of selling more consoles are much higher. Helldivers 2 was pure luck for Sony. Let's also discuss all the canceled GAAS games—they could have used that money to make 20 AA games instead.

jm89

I'm not talking about game sales; I'm talking about their poor console sales, which are even worse than Sony expected. Most people won't buy a console for just one decent game. But if you have five games, the chances of selling more consoles are much higher. Helldivers 2 was pure luck for Sony. Let's also discuss all the canceled GAAS games—they could have used that money to make 20 AA games instead.
What's dragging down console sales is the price, cost of living and alot of really popular games that casuals like still being available on ps4.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I agree that a success with a gaas which us a big if in itself will make more money than a bunch of aa games. But I would argue that a bunch of aa games have a big chance to sell more consoles which will boost other sales as well.
And instead of a bunch of aa games, we get a bunch of aa games and a bunch of Gaas games and a bunch of AAA flagship titled are in production.

Says who?

All Sony said was no major existing AAA titles before 2025.

SM, ND, Sucker Punch have shown nothing of their new projects. Those are not releasing next year.

Only Bend, Housemarque and maybe Bluepoint might surprise us, but I don't believe in games made in total secrecy that suddenly pop up.

Fabieter

What's dragging down console sales is the price, cost of living and alot of really popular games that casuals like still being available on ps4.

There are other aspects to poor console sales for sure but the fact that alot of games are still available on ps4 and console pricing is easy to anticipate so I can't see how that's responsible for sonys disappointment in sales.

ZehDon

Given Sony's commitment to two titles a year, their lack of competition, and their continued success from console and platform revenues, there's very little pressure for them to really deliver anything in a rush. With titles like Concord and Marathon on the horizon, 2025 may be a good year, but I suspect that's relative to this generation - not exactly a high bar.

Fabieter

And instead of a bunch of aa games, we get a bunch of aa games and a bunch of Gaas games and a bunch of AAA flagship titled are in production.

How many of those gaas games actually released? The ammount of aa and aaa games is really tiny.

Compare 2023 and 2024 with the ps4s 2017 and 2018. The gaas push fucked the entire generation up.

Killjoy-NL

SM, ND, Sucker Punch have shown nothing of their new projects. Those are not releasing next year.

Only Bend, Housemarque and maybe Bluepoint might surprise us, but I don't believe in games made in total secrecy that suddenly pop up.
Reportedly, ND, SM and GG have multiple projects in production.

Alongside the other studios, they all have been working for a couple of years now afaik.
No doubt we will see some releases next year and then the titles will drop one after another leading up to next-gen.

Killjoy-NL

How many of those gaas games actually released? The ammount of aa and aaa games is really tiny.
Yes, because we also have the issue of increased development time/cost etc.

That's also a big factor in Sony's Gaas strategy: player retention.
Compare 2023 and 2024 with the ps4s 2017 and 2018. The gaas push fucked the entire generation up.
Times are also very different now, after thr covid pandemic and the current state of the world economy.

skit_data

Naughty dog new ip and santa monica new IP..
Nicolas Cage Hair GIF

Fabieter

Yes, because we also have the issue of increased development time/cost etc.

That's also a big factor in Sony's Gaas strategy: player retention.

Times are also very different now, after thr covid pandemic and the current state of the world economy.

You just gave more points why it's stupid that sony is mostly doing blockbuster and gaas games nowadays.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol you know things are bad when ps fans and insiders are following the Xbox fanbase playbook of wait till next year.

you either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become a klobrie/jez corden/colteastwood.

jm89

lol you know things are bad when ps fans and insiders are following the Xbox fanbase playbook of wait till next year.

you either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become a klobrie/jez corden/colteastwood.
Are we waiting till next year though?

Helldivers 2 is a smash hit, astro bot will probably be too.

I think the early gen output was pretty good, better than earlier gens IMO. Last two years have been quiet in terms of their first party studios but I assume they will really start dropping bombs in the latter half because that's how it's been the latest two gens. It all pretty much depends on the "damage" the GAAS push have done to the pipeline. Feels like the worst part of that push has already released/are about to release so it's pretty much an unknown quantity what the others have been up to.

It was, but the games were also cross-gen so a lot of people don’t count those, especially because they were built with last gen hardware in mind so they couldn’t get too ambitious. 2025 should be better though, considering the size of Sony’s first party studios and how long it’s been since the last major releases. And they need to justify the PS5 Pro, or at least attempt to.

Mobilemofo

This gen has been one big bukake special. We've all been spunked on, and now we've got to clean up the mess. If I had to rate this gen this far, it would be 6/10.

W11d

actually you should compare 2023 and 2024 with 2016 and 2017.

2013 - 2020
2014 - 2021
2015 - 2022
2016 - 2023
2017 - 2024
2018 - 2025

2018 was the first great year of PS4.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I just want to see Ghost of Tsushima 2. That’s about the only game directly from Sony I am looking toward to.

After Ragnarök, Spider-Man 2, TLOU2 and last Horizons game; my expectations for those franchises (including Wolverine) are non existent.

Killjoy-NL

You just gave more points why it's stupid that sony is mostly doing blockbuster and gaas games nowadays.
Those blockbusters are what made Playstation as big as it currently is.

Gaas is needed to keep people playing their games continuously in between sp releases.

And you still have aa titles.
Sony has more people to cater to than just sp fans.

Last edited:

Fabieter

actually you should compare 2023 and 2024 with 2016 and 2017.

2013 - 2020
2014 - 2021
2015 - 2022
2016 - 2023
2017 - 2024
2018 - 2025

2018 was the first great year of PS4.

You are right with the numbers. I don't agree that the 2018 was the first great year tho.

skit_data

It was, but the games were also cross-gen so a lot of people don’t count those, especially because they were built with last gen hardware in mind so they couldn’t get too ambitious. 2025 should be better though, considering the size of Sony’s first party studios and how long it’s been since the last major releases. And they need to justify the PS5 Pro, or at least attempt to.
I definitely prefer the crossgen approach to getting for example GT6 and God of War 2 "post next gen launch" on their respective consoles. Sure there were a couple of cool early "next gen" exclusive PS4 games last gen but comparing KZ: Shadowfall and Infamous Second son to Demon's Souls and Returnal I'll take the latter every day of the week.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Those blockbusters are what made Playstation as big as it currently is.

Gaas is needed to keep people playing their games continuously in between sp releases.

And you still have aa titles.
Sony has more people to cater to than just sp fans.

All the goodwill from a great library is what made playstation as big as it is including all the Japanese exclusives which 99% are multiplatform these days.

And gaas isn't working for them when they cancel most of their games. And what you mean playing gaas games between their sp games. Helldivers 2 lost like 90% of their playerbase which won't recover and concord will flop later this year. So many resources es wasted for nothing. They forgot why playstation is big to beginn with.

splattered

Unfortunately i have very little faith in Sony's output moving forward. Yeah they might land some good 3rd party deals here and there to keep them afloat but i am tired of waiting several years just to get an OK title. It really feels like they've lost their way and we can't even expect good titles out of their newer acquisitions. Gaming is in serious decline in general. Everyone keeps talking about an impending crash but it feels like we've been in a slow motion crash this entire generation.

Last edited:

Fabieter

It was the first year with multiple hits

2016 and 2017 was insane on a 1p and a 3p exclusive standpoint. It was arguably better in quantity and quality. With bloodborne and the order 2015 was also not that bad tbh. I prefer 2013 to 2017 exclusives over 2020 to 2024 any day of the week. But to each their own I guess.

Killjoy-NL

All the goodwill from a great library is what made playstation as big as it is including all the Japanese exclusives which 99% are multiplatform these days.

And gaas isn't working for them when they cancel most of their games. And what you mean playing gaas games between their sp games. Helldivers 2 lost like 90% of their playerbase which won't recover and concord will flop later this year. So many resources es wasted for nothing. They forgot why playstation is big to beginn with.
Which Gaas games did they cancel?
Factions 2.

Helldivers 2 also sold more than 12M copies, compared to Stellar Blade with 1M copies.
And while they lost 90% of their playerbase, no doubt a large part jump back on when the new faction arrives. That's the nature of Gaas.
They didn't even expect HD2 to be such a hit to begin with.

As for library, don't forget that Sony used to have a lot games that relied on mp as well a pre-PS4.
Nowadays, all those games would be categorized as Gaas, but ultimately Sony is returning to a much broader library, like they once used to have.

Singleplayer fans need to move away from their tunnel-vision.

Skifi28

D0000med

On a more serious note, with monster hunter wilds releasing in 2025 it's going to be the best year of this generation for sure. Anything else is just a bonus.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Which Gaas games did they cancel?
Factions 2.

Helldivers 2 also sold more than 12M copies, compared to Stellar Blade with 1M copies.
And while they lost 90% of their playerbase, no doubt a large part jump back on when the new faction arrives. That's the nature of Gaas.
They didn't even expect HD2 to be such a hit to begin with.

As for library, don't forget that Sony used to have a lot games that relied on mp as well a pre-PS4.
Nowadays, all those games would be categorized as Gaas, but ultimately Sony is returning to a much broader library, like they once used to have.

Singleplayer fans need to move away from their tunnel-vision.

The London studio was reportedly working on a GAAS game, and Bungie is having major problems with their GAAS titles. Twisted Metal, which was supposed to be a GAAS game, was canceled. The game from that ex-COD developer for PlayStation was also canceled. Are you serious? There have been multiple reports throughout the generation that they’re facing big problems with their GAAS games. We could have had a lot more games if it weren't for that mess.

Just because a game has a tacked-on multiplayer mode doesn't mean it's a GAAS. I'd take Doom Eternal with a multiplayer mode over Concord any day of the week.

No, they aren’t broadening their library. Looking at their PS1 to PS4 library, this is by far the worst.

Yes, Sony might think their single-player games should stay quiet, but that's their main customer base, and they’re out of touch to push this approach on their customers.

Fess

Would be nice to hear about PC versions of FF16, Rebirth, Spider-Man 2, Stellar Blade and Ronin. Should shorten the delays to 6 months to not make everything feel old and maybe they would boost the sales a bit.

Fabieter

I understand when PS and Xbox gamers demand more games from Sony and MS. But it's funny to me how PC gamers always demand exclusives from Sony or Microsoft but never from Valve.

Most pc gamers know that valve is risk averse so it would be pointless.

Killjoy-NL

The London studio was reportedly working on a GAAS game, and Bungie is having major problems with their GAAS titles. Twisted Metal, which was supposed to be a GAAS game, was canceled. The game from that ex-COD developer for PlayStation was also canceled. Are you serious? There have been multiple reports throughout the generation that they’re facing big problems with their GAAS games. We could have had a lot more games if it weren't for that mess.
Ah yeah, forgot about those.

But then we also have to look at the studios behind those.
London Studio: pretty much a EyeToy studio. Nothing noteworthy would've come out of that anyway.
Firesprite: also never released anything noteworthy. Maybe Horizon CotM.

Not sure which ex-COD dev you mean though.

But these studios aren't close to being high profile or releasing anything noteworthy, so I highly doubt much was lost by them not developing a non-Gaas title.
Most likely would've been some small VR title anyway.
And then people would be complaining about that.
Just because a game has a tacked-on multiplayer mode doesn't mean it's a GAAS. I'd take Doom Eternal with a multiplayer mode over Concord any day of the week.
What I'm saying is that you can be sure that if Sony releasws games like that now, they would most likely fall in line with Gaas titles.

No, they aren’t broadening their library. Looking at their PS1 to PS4 library, this is by far the worst.

Yes, Sony might think their single-player games should stay quiet, but that's their main customer base, and they’re out of touch to push this approach on their customers.
Their main customer base is playing 3rd party Gaas games.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I understand when PS and Xbox gamers demand more games from Sony and MS. But it's funny to me how PC gamers always demand exclusives from Sony or Microsoft but never from Valve.

Huh? PC gamers have been asking for more Half-life, Portal, etc. for quite some time now. And they haven't asked for them to be "exclusive" to anything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom