• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider - “I'm confident that we will hear more from Sony this Q3, next year might be their most important, and one of the best years this Generation”

Fabieter

Ah yeah, forgot about those.

But then we also have to look at the studios behind those.
London Studio: pretty much a EyeToy studio. Nothing noteworthy would've come out of that anyway.
Firesprite: also never released anything noteworthy. Maybe Horizon CotM.

Not sure which ex-COD dev you mean though.

But these studios aren't close to being high profile or releasing anything noteworthy, so I highly doubt much was lost by them not developing a non-Gaas title.
Most likely would've been some small VR title anyway.
And then people would be complaining about that.

That's not what I said. What I'm saying is that you can be sure that if Sony releasws games like that now, they would most likely fall in line with Gaas titles.

Their main customer base is playing 3rd party Gaas games.

Jason Blundell was the key figure. Its important to note that even London Studios made AAA games on the PS2. Dismissing them now would be like questioning why Sony Bend was given the chance to create something "meaningful" despite not having made a AAA game in years. That line of thinking is silly. We can't ignore the fact that they've canceled several games-as-a-service (GaaS) projects, and that shouldn't be excused.
Similarly, Firewalk Studio might not have a history of creating "meaningful" games, but "Concord" was likely an expensive project. I

Moreover, Sony's core audience is primarily interested in single-player games. While they do play third-party titles, the entire catalog, including first-party games, is crucial to them. Unfortunately, Sony hasn't been delivering in that area.

But at the same time they act like console gamers doesn't have games to play when it's PC gamers who always port begging

Alot of those pc gamers were console fans at one point tho.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
my preferred platform is PC now after this dogshit PS5 generation thats behind us so far
Its always next year is alternate reality tho...unless you started gaming on the PS5 this year. And dont play games that released before 2024.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Jason Blundell was the key figure. Its important to note that even London Studios made AAA games on the PS2. Dismissing them now would be like questioning why Sony Bend was given the chance to create something "meaningful" despite not having made a AAA game in years. That line of thinking is silly. We can't ignore the fact that they've canceled several games-as-a-service (GaaS) projects, and that shouldn't be excused.
What did they release?

The most noteworthy titles from London Studios are The Getaway and Singstar.
A handfull of football games, but everybody just plays Fifa/FC or Pro.
And then some EyeToy games, VR games, PS Home and Gangs of London.

You're overrating them.
Similarly, Firewalk Studio might not have a history of creating "meaningful" games, but "Concord" was likely an expensive project. I
I was talking Firesprite, the studio that was supposedly creating the Twisted Metal Gaas title.

You're probably confusing them with Firewalk, the studio behind Concord.
Moreover, Sony's core audience is primarily interested in single-player games. While they do play third-party titles, the entire catalog, including first-party games, is crucial to them. Unfortunately, Sony hasn't been delivering in that area.
The core audience is the average gamer that mostly plays Fifa/COD/Fortnite/GTA etc.
That's why those games are always the top selling titles and most played games.

Pretty much all Gaas titles.

Last edited:

Fabieter

What did they release?

The most noteworthy titles from London Studios are The Getaway and Singstar.
A handfull of football games, but everybody just plays Fifa/FC or Pro.
And then some EyeToy games, VR games, PS Home and Gangs of London.

You're overrating them.

I was talking Firesprite, the studio that was supposedly creating the Twisted Metal Gaas title.

You're probably confusing them with Firewalk, the studio behind Concord.

The core audience is the average gamer that mostly plays Fifa/COD/Fortnite/GTA etc.
That's why those games are always the top selling titles and most played games.

Pretty much all Gaas titles.

No I meant Firewalk which they bought and supported without any experience with them and the first game will completely bomb so I don't know what they are thinking really.

No their core audience is buying hundreds of games every generation.

I don't get it's everything fine mentality. They clearly have problems at sony. And imo the biggest problem is that they lost touch with their generation.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

No their core audience is buying hundreds of games every generation.

I don't get it's everything fine mentality. They clearly have problems at sony. And imo the biggest problem is that they lost touch with their generation.
Most people primarily play one or two multiplayer games and then some other games spread across the year.

This has been the case for a long time. That's not even debateable.

And things are fine. Sony isn't going to die or whatever some people think is happening.
That's just #SonyToo.

Fabieter

Most people primarily play one or two multiplayer games and then some other games spread across the year.

This has been the case for a long time. That's not even debateable.

And things are fine. Sony isn't going to die or whatever some people think is happening.
That's just #SonyToo.

Most players stick to one multiplayer game, and even if Sony releases one, it won't make them switch permanently from what they're already playing. So, Sony's focus on GaaS games is pretty pointless—and that's not even up for debate. The decision on which platform to game on is largely dependent on the game catalog, which is unfortunate given Sony's push towards GaaS, as I mentioned in my initial argument.

Ozriel

M$FT
I mean, they have Wolverine and DS2 for 2025/2026.

The infamous GTAVI and MH Wilds. There are still a lot of info/games that we don’t know, there’s a lot of potential for the system.

Yet, I’m still seeing people saying that the launch of a well awaited console in 2025 will bury the PS5.

Switch 2 will certainly dominate the news cycle for much of the year until GTA6 launches.

I mean, they have Wolverine and DS2 for 2025/2026.

The infamous GTAVI and MH Wilds. There are still a lot of info/games that we don’t know, there’s a lot of potential for the system.

Yet, I’m still seeing people saying that the launch of a well awaited console in 2025 will bury the PS5.
There's also the rumored smaller Venom game from Insomniac.

Killjoy-NL

Most players stick to one multiplayer game, and even if Sony releases one, it won't make them switch permanently from what they're already playing. So, Sony's focus on GaaS games is pretty pointless—and that's not even up for debate. The decision on which platform to game on is largely dependent on the game catalog, which is unfortunate given Sony's push towards GaaS, as I mentioned in my initial argument.
Sony's Gaas strategy has a lot to do with the Xbox ABK acquisition.
We all know MS rather wants COD as an Xbox exclusive.
The 10-year deal Jim Ryan got out of it created a major hurdle for Xbox and breathing room for Sony, so they can get a few Gaas titles going.
Hence their statements about how they need to become less reliant on 3rd party titles.

Sony already has the console market on lock.
Xbox is on the way out, Nintendo is leveraging the handheld market with the hybrid nature of the Switch.

For Sony, it is now more important to get people to play their games instead of 3rd party.
Just singleplayer games isn't going to cut it.

They already heavily shifted their focus to singleplayer games last-gen (when many started claiming that sp games were dying), but now the industry is at a point where it isn't sustainable to keep doing just that.

This also isn't even up for debate, because pretty much everybody acknowledges this.

Fabieter

Sony's Gaas strategy has a lot to do with the Xbox ABK acquisition.
We all know MS rather wants COD as an Xbox exclusive.
The 10-year deal Jim Ryan got out of it created a major hurdle for Xbox and breathing room for Sony, so they can get a few Gaas titles going.
Hence their statements about how they need to become less reliant on 3rd party titles.

Sony already has the console market on lock.
Xbox is on the way out, Nintendo is leveraging the handheld market with the hybrid nature of the Switch.

For Sony, it is now more important to get people to play their games instead of 3rd party.
Just singleplayer games isn't going to cut it.

They already heavily shifted their focus to singleplayer games last-gen (when many started claiming that sp games were dying), but now the industry is at a point where it isn't sustainable to keep doing just that.

This also isn't even up for debate, because pretty much everybody acknowledges this.

It will be interesting when the Switch 2 can play 99% of third-party games while also offering a wide variety of first-party titles, both single-player and multiplayer, across numerous genres. I also expect more third party exclusive on Nintendo machines they really have the potential to eat sonys lunch if current sony stays the way they are.

Killjoy-NL

It will be interesting when the Switch 2 can play 99% of third-party games while also offering a wide variety of first-party titles, both single-player and multiplayer, across numerous genres. I also expect more third party exclusive on Nintendo machines they really have the potential to eat sonys lunch if current sony stays the way they are.
I think it'll be the same as it is now.

Both Playstation and Switch demographics are different enough for both to be successfull, as long as Nintendo sticks with the hybrid formula.

There just isn't room for a 3rd.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

black-man-laugh.gif

Transgender crusaders fighting non binary arabs lol
im laughing but i wouldnt be surprised

Fabieter

I think it'll be the same as it is now.

Both Playstation and Switch demographics are different enough for both to be successfull, as long as Nintedo sticks with the hybrid formula.

There just isn't room for a 3rd.

What makes you think that they are different enough. I know some people who will wait for Switch 2 and were content with Switch 1 and ps4 until now. They know that all japanese third party games are gonna be on switch 2 going forward and most western games will also going to Nintendo. Sony will be fine but they will lose market share if they stay on course 100%.

Killjoy-NL

What makes you think that they are different enough. I know some people who will wait for Switch 2 and were content with Switch 1 and ps4 until now. They know that all japanese third party games are gonna be on switch 2 going forward and most western games will also going to Nintendo. Sony will be fine but they will lose market share if they stay on course 100%.
Because a large part of the Switch demographic is the handheld demographic.
Nintendo won't be able to compete with Playstation as a traditional console. They never have, outside of the Wii which was a surpise hit due to the motion-controller fad (it was also the least-used console that gen).

So with Switch 2, it won't be much different from now, except a lot of Xbox will migrate to Playstation.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

unfortunately in this age of 60 fps gaming I dont think nintendo has any chance of offering on par 3rd party experience again... not with their way of launching old gen cheap hardware.

Fabieter

Because a large part of the Switch demographic is the handheld demographic.
Nintendo won't be able to compete with Playstation as a traditional console. They never have, outside of the Wii which was a surpise hit due to the motion-controller fad (it was also the least-used console that gen).

So with Switch 2, it won't be much different from now, except a lot of Xbox will migrate to Playstation.

The last time when Nintendo had hardware to actually run most games was 20 years and they burned so many bridges with alot of devs at a time so I wouldn't be so sure and I hope sony is less arrogant to think that they save to do whatever. Imo If Nintendo plays their cards right than sony has a problem.

unfortunately in this age of 60 fps gaming I dont think nintendo has any chance of offering on par 3rd party experience again... not with their way of launching old gen cheap hardware.

Steam Deck showed that even pc gamers are happy to have less when they can have pc/console quality on a handheld.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
We had Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade and FFVII Rebirth this year and people still aren't satisfied?

I think the vocal sentiment is, no its not enough.

Helldivers 2 blew up on steam. The other 2 came and went.

I can't believe ffvii rebirth had less hype and conversation than ffxvi. it's heartbreaking. It's even sold less. The playstation crowd just weren't that drawn to it. It's not been a huge seller for an install base of 60 million. What did stellar blade sell?

I don't think the playstation fanbase are really picking these games up anymore and I don't know why.

Last edited:

Jesb

It can potentially be a huge year for 3rd parties. You might see GTA6, maybe RE9 or a new remake. Death Stranding 2, Doom. I expect there to be a big Sony release not named Wolverine.

Killjoy-NL

It's actually not a whole lot especially when at least one of those will be on a rival console in the near future ;).
Does it matter if it's not a whole lot though?
The games are quality games and there's 3rd party releases as well.

And luckily, there's always Gaas titles to play.

The last time when Nintendo had hardware to actually run most games was 20 years and they burned so many bridges with alot of devs at a time so I wouldn't be so sure and I hope sony is less arrogant to think that they save to do whatever. Imo If Nintendo plays their cards right than sony has a problem.
Even when they had support, they didn't come close to Playstation. Again, apart from the Wii, which was an outlier.

Sony also doesn't seem to be arrogant at all.
Just like Nintendo, they seem rather level-headed and focused.

Just not in the way some people would like them to and there's certainly a portion of the gaming community that's projecting Xbox' issues onto Sony, when both are incomparable.

Killjoy-NL

I think the vocal sentiment is, no its not enough.

Helldivers 2 blew up on steam. The other 2 came and went.

I can't believe ffvii rebirth had less hype and conversation than ffxvi. it's heartbreaking. It's even sold less. The playstation crowd just weren't that drawn to it. It's not been a huge seller for an install base of 60 million. What did stellar blade sell?
Stellar Blade sold ~1M copies.
I don't think the playstation fanbase are really picking these games up anymore and I don't know why.
Because most people are playing 3rd party Gaas titles.

Fabieter

Does it matter if it's not a whole lot though?
The games are quality games and there's 3rd party releases as well.

And luckily, there's always Gaas titles to play.

Even when they had support, they didn't come close to Playstation. Again, apart from the Wii, which was an outlier.

Sony also doesn't seem to be arrogant at all.
Just like Nintendo, they seem rather level-headed and focused.

Just not in the way some people would like them to and there's certainly a portion of the gaming community that's projecting Xbox' issues onto Sony, when both are incomparable.

So you are saying all those people who prefer sp games that they should be quiet and just play gaas?

I don't know if more and more games starting to go to the switch 2 that automatically will take away from sony. Handhelds are powerful enough to play most high end games on an acceptable level and people love do that on the go. We will see but I don't think sony is ready if Nintendo plays their cards right.

Killjoy-NL

So you are saying all those people who prefer sp games that they should be quiet and just play gaas?
No, not at all.
I'm saying be patient and stop acting like it's the end of the world, because nothing was lost.

It's just a bunch of what ifs that exist only in your own head.

I don't know if more and more games starting to go to the switch 2 that automatically will take away from sony. Handhelds are powerful enough to play most high end games on an acceptable level and people love do that on the go. We will see but I don't think sony is ready if Nintendo plays their cards right.
Not sure what you're getting at here?

Switch 2 won't be a danger to Sony. If anything, I think Nintendo is more worried about making Switch 2 as big of a success as Switch.

If anything, we'll have Switch 2 for low-end gaming, PS5/Pro for midrange gaming and PC for high-end.
Each has it's place and demographic.

Fabieter

No, not at all.
I'm saying be patient and stop acting like it's the end of the world, because nothing was lost.

It's just a bunch of what ifs that exist only in your own head.

Not sure what you're getting at here?

Switch 2 won't be a danger to Sony. If anything, I think Nintendo is more worried about making Switch 2 as big of a success as Switch.

If anything, we'll have Switch 2 for low-end gaming, PS5/Pro for midrange gaming and PC for high-end.
Each has it's place and demographic.

Bro if someone prefers sp games and only plays on ps5 than there is not enough games to play. That's a problem!

That depends what you think of "danger to sony". Imo they will lose money over stronger competion from Nintendo. Playstation will still be around tho.

simpatico

Guess they’re really leaning on the short announcement windows. There isn’t even a Sony game that we have confirmation of that is exciting. Which honestly is the first time I can remember this since the PSX launched. Tough times.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Bro if someone prefers sp games and only plays on ps5 than there is not enough games to play. That's a problem!

That depends what you think of "danger to sony". Imo they will lose money over stronger competion from Nintendo. Playstation will still be around tho.
There's more than just Sony games, right?
So what's the problem exactly?

This is the most profitable gen for Sony so far. They'll be fine. I doubt Switch 2 will take a big chunk out of Sony's marketshare, if at all.

Sanepar

If they release 6 exclusive aaa single player games next year it will be a great year. Since last 2 years they released 1.

Last edited:

nial

Last edited:
Top Bottom