• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider - “I'm confident that we will hear more from Sony this Q3, next year might be their most important, and one of the best years this Generation”

Fabieter

There's more than just Sony games, right?
So what's the problem exactly?

This is the most profitable gen for Sony so far. They'll be fine. I doubt Switch 2 will take a big chunk out of Sony's marketshare, if at all.

Depends on your preference. There aint alot of bigger Western sp games on ps5. It's a bit better on the Asian side but still not enough tho.

Let's see how software sales go on ps5 once Switch 2 is out especially from asian games ;).

nial

Depends on your preference. There aint alot of bigger Western sp games on ps5. It's a bit better on the Asian side but still not enough tho.

Let's see how software sales go on ps5 once Switch 2 is out especially from asian games ;).
Man, arguing with you is pointless when your entire argument is "wait until this console that isn't revealed yet is out", and then proceed to act smug about it.

Bernardougf

The last time when Nintendo had hardware to actually run most games was 20 years and they burned so many bridges with alot of devs at a time so I wouldn't be so sure and I hope sony is less arrogant to think that they save to do whatever. Imo If Nintendo plays their cards right than sony has a problem.

Steam Deck showed that even pc gamers are happy to have less when they can have pc/console quality on a handheld.
Dont know.. I see steamdeck more like a complementary hardware on the go, not as a primary gaming device, I find this gen very lackluster from Sony as much as the next guy, but playing third party at 30 fps 720p games on the switch2 is not the answer for me at least.

Fabieter

Man, arguing with you is pointless when your entire argument is "wait until this console that isn't revealed yet is out", and then proceed to act smug about it.

We already see absolutely dog shit ps5 software sales in japan as it is. This won't get better when switch 2 will have more 3p support than switch 1.

Thought we were talking marketshare?

I said sony will lose money over stronger competition. The software part is what we already see in strong switch markets ;). I know it's anecdotal but I know quite a few people who prefer consoles but mostly play Japanese games those people always had playstations but will skip it in favor os switch in the future. And it's highly likely that western support will also get to a point where everything is releasing on the switch. There won't be a reason to own switch and PlayStation anymore.

nial

We already see absolutely dog shit ps5 software sales in japan as it is. This won't get better when switch 2 will have more 3p support than switch 1.
Fiirst of all, it's too early to be sure about that when we don't even have any details about its price, and then, it's absolutely a widespread problem with most third-party games over there, so I don't see how a Switch 2 will be changing things at all. Your average FuRuy game doesn't sell that much better on Switch compared to PS5.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Dont know.. I see steamdeck more like a complementary hardware on the go, not as a primary gaming device, I find this gen very lackluster from Sony as much as the next guy, but playing third party at 30 fps 720p games on the switch2 is not the answer for me at least.

Alot of games are 720p60 on series x and ps5. Like I said with switch 2 if Nintendo plays their cards right but IQ has a high chance to be at least better than with alot of ps5 games thanks to DLSS.

Fess

If anything, we'll have Switch 2 for low-end gaming, PS5/Pro for midrange gaming and PC for high-end.
Each has it's place and demographic.
Don’t overthink it. The real pull for any platform is exclusives.

We will buy a Nintendo console to play the next Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and so on.

Few will invest in three separate platforms just to access ”low-end” and ”midrange” gaming if they already have access to high-end gaming on a PC. Everything is already there on PC now, small indies, AA, huge AAA, TV, VR, handheld, gaas, mp,sp, even Microsoft and Sony exclusives (delayed) are there now.

The low cost is the one thing where the PC industry struggle badly to be competitive. I’ve paid twice as much for 10 years of PC hardware as 40 years of console hardware.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I said sony will lose money over stronger competition. The software part is what we already see in strong switch markets ;). I know it's anecdotal but I know quite a few people who prefer consoles but mostly play Japanese games those people always had playstations but will skip it in favor os switch in the future. And it's highly likely that western support will also get to a point where everything is releasing on the switch. There won't be a reason to own switch and PlayStation anymore.
All I can find is that Sony generated ~$30M revenue for 2023, Nintendo ~$12M.

In 2022, Sony generated ~$24M revenue, Nintendo ~14M.

The highest revenue Nintendo generated during the Switch was ~$16M in 2021, when Playstation generated ~$24M revenue.

So not really sure what you're getting at. Nintendo doesn't seem to pose much of a threat.

As for anecdotal evidence, I know nobody who's interested in a Switch themselves, but did buy a Switch for their kids with barely any games (even kids mostly play on Playstation).

Then again, I'm going to buy a Switch 2 for my gf, so there's that.

Killjoy-NL

Don’t overthink it. The real pull for any platform is exclusives.

We will buy a Nintendo console to play the next Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and so on.

Few will invest in three separate platforms just to access ”low-end” and ”midrange” gaming if they already have access to high-end gaming on a PC. Everything is already there on PC now, small indies, AA, huge AAA, TV, VR, handheld, gaas, mp,sp, even Microsoft and Sony exclusives (delayed) are there now.

The low cost is the one thing where the PC industry struggle badly to be competitive. I’ve paid twice as much for 10 years of PC hardware as 40 years of console hardware.
Well yeah, my point was more that each platform has it's own demographic that will co-exist like they have always done.

There won't be any significant shifts, apart from Xbox that will see more pf it's userbase migrate to other platforms.

CLW

The Beautiful Game Futbol GIF by World Cup

Fabieter

All I can find is that Sony generated ~$30M revenue for 2023, Nintendo ~$12M.

In 2022, Sony generated ~$24M revenue, Nintendo ~14M.

The highest revenue Nintendo generated during the Switch was ~$16M in 2021, when Playstation generated ~$24M revenue.

So not really sure what you're getting at. Nintendo doesn't seem to pose much of a threat.

As for anecdotal evidence, I know nobody who's interested in a Switch themselves, but did buy a Switch for their kids with barely any games (even kids mostly play on Playstation).

Then again, I'm going to buy a Switch 2 for my gf, so there's that.

Switch is missing all the big western gaas games on top of stuff like genshin and honkai. So stuff that was hard to port to switch and won't be as hard on switch 2 ;). And I bet playstation would love to have Nintendos profit instead of their revenue ;). They need to like double their profit to get to nintendos profit which will never happen.

Killjoy-NL

Switch is missing all the big western gaas games on top of stuff like genshin and honkai. So stuff that was hard to port to switch and won't be as hard on switch 2 ;). And I bet playstation would love to have Nintendos profit instead of their revenue ;). They need to like double their profit to get to nintendos profit which will never happen.
That's assuming 3rd party support will make a drastic difference.
I highly doubt it.

And I bet Nintendo would love to have Sony's marketshare.
With Playstation, it's safe to assume their consoles will sell 100+M.
With Nintendo, it isn't.

My guess is that everything will stay relatively as is for next-gen and any major shift won't take place until next-next-gen, when the dust has settled with Xbox going 3rd party.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
2025 = Death Stranding 2, Ghost of Tsushima 2, Marathon, maybe Fairgame$ and of course the big third party release of GTA6

A massive year for sure, perhaps some of these will slip

Markio128

Gold Member
Nobody knows for sure, but looking back historically, Sony do tend to release the big guns at the back end of a consoles lifecycle. I suspect that the next couple of years will follow the same path. I also have a feeling that ND, SP and SSM won’t show their games until they are around 6-9 months from release, so if any are shown by the end of 2024, then I’ll be buzzing for 2025.

It’ll take a monster to take the spotlight away from GTA6 though, from any camp.

Klik

Cracking Up Lol GIF

The dumbest take I've read in a LONG while

Holy shit
Its not really the dumbest considering few months back there was a big thread about most people agreeing this gen being the most boring unless you're fan of japanese games or magic type of games.

Fabieter

That's assuming 3rd party support will make a drastic difference.
I highly doubt it.

And I bet Nintendo would love to have Sony's marketshare.
With Playstation, it's safe to assume their consoles will sell 100+M.
With Nintendo, it isn't.

My guess is that everything will stay relatively as is for next-gen and any major shift won't take place until next-next-gen, when the dust has settled with Xbox going 3rd party.

I agree that market shifts don't happen over night than again are we a few years into the ps5 generation where alot of stuff changed behind the scenes. Ps5 made half the gen of the momentum of the ps4 and we already see ps5 struggling to keep up with console sales. All the stuff happening with jimbo and hulst are starting to affect the daily business.

I completely agree with this

If anything Sony should be realizing the damage this is doing to their console business and move to shut it down. Hulst is going to go down as Sony’s Mattrick, mark my words.

When they finally get the shit they done throughout they years it will be way to late..

Fess

If anything Sony should be realizing the damage this is doing to their console business and move to shut it down. Hulst is going to go down as Sony’s Mattrick, mark my words.
I’m on PC now so I want the ports but yeah I agree it’s dumb. I used to be console-only. Now I’m 99% PC. It’s all Microsoft’s and Sony’s doing.
I still have all consoles but don’t use them, don’t want to waste anything good on weak hardware.

And I don’t think the delays work. No more than late Xbox exclusives on Playstation. Most will wait instead of investing in new hardware they don’t really want. And it’ll just add negativity around the first releases. Port begging. Salty opinions. The usual stuff. And the games has been showed enough online to feel old when they finally arrive elsewhere.

It’s just a bad strategy.

But I assume they have an alternative plan they haven’t talked about yet.
Maybe the first step before they fully merge the platforms? Might use an account system or launcher for ecosystem exclusivity instead of hardware exclusivity. …which will be welcomed by the community just like Epic and Ubisoft launcher exclusives…

Last edited:

Fabieter

Fiirst of all, it's too early to be sure about that when we don't even have any details about its price, and then, it's absolutely a widespread problem with most third-party games over there, so I don't see how a Switch 2 will be changing things at all. Your average FuRuy game doesn't sell that much better on Switch compared to PS5.

In the long term, most Japanese games sell far better on the Switch. If Square Enix, Atlus, and Capcom start releasing their biggest games on Switch 2 from day one, it will only get worse for Sony. Right now, there are a few reasons for Japanese gamers to own a PS5, but if Sony continues to lose those, why would anyone need to own two platforms?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
lol you know things are bad when ps fans and insiders are following the Xbox fanbase playbook of wait till next year.

you either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become a klobrie/jez corden/colteastwood.

They already got TimDog :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Fess

Well yeah, my point was more that each platform has it's own demographic that will co-exist like they have always done.

There won't be any significant shifts, apart from Xbox that will see more pf it's userbase migrate to other platforms.
I’m one of those who has migrated from Xbox and Playstation to PC, I think that will increase unless they start doing real exclusives again. And mobile gaming is big among younger people, I think that will increase as well.
But the next 5 years or so should be fairly stable I think. Except Xbox which will merge fully into a lower spec living room PC.

Killjoy-NL

I agree that market shifts don't happen over night than again are we a few years into the ps5 generation where alot of stuff changed behind the scenes. Ps5 made half the gen of the momentum of the ps4 and we already see ps5 struggling to keep up with console sales. All the stuff happening with jimbo and hulst are starting to affect the daily business.

I completely agree with this
The momentum of PS4 got killed during the pandemic.
Most even complained about the extremely slow transition into current-gen, both sales-wise as irt games themselves.

The fact that PS5 is still trailing PS4 despite a pandemic and a higher price, while also being the most profitable gen they ever had, is testament to how well Ryan (and Hulst) have been handling business.

So for now, all we can do is speculate.

Killjoy-NL

I’m one of those who has migrated from Xbox and Playstation to PC, I think that will increase unless they start doing real exclusives again. And mobile gaming is big among younger people, I think that will increase as well.
But the next 5 years or so should be fairly stable I think. Except Xbox which will merge fully into a lower spec living room PC.
That's fair, but consoles aren't in any kind of danger and there won't be any significant shift between PC and consoles for the foreseeable future.

That's just wishful thinking. I think it more likely that Sony will start moving towards console exclusivity more again once they feel that they've built a decent installbase on PC.

Fabieter

The momentum of PS4 got killed during the pandemic.
Most even complained about the extremely slow transition into current-gen, both sales-wise as irt games themselves.

The fact that PS5 is still trailing PS4 despite a pandemic and a higher price, while also being the most profitable gen they ever had, is testament to how well Ryan (and Hulst) have been handling business.

So for now, all we can do is speculate.

The ps5 sold on the back of the ps4. All the momentum and early games were made by the old crew. We will see how ps5 is selling now with decisions of the new crew taking place. Like you said shifts takes time to happen.

Fabieter

That's fair, but consoles aren't in any kind of danger and there won't be any significant shift between PC and consoles for the foreseeable future.

That's just wishful thinking. I think it more likely that Sony will start moving towards console exclusivity more again once they feel that they've built a decent installbase on PC.

So they will go back to more exclusive games? They can't go back since they opened Pandora box. It's over with that!

Killjoy-NL

The ps5 sold on the back of the ps4. All the momentum and early games were made by the old crew. We will see how ps5 is selling now with decisions of the new crew taking place. Like you said shifts takes time to happen.
2,5 years of shortages effectively killed any momentum.

Killjoy-NL

So they will go back to more exclusive games? They can't go back since they opened Pandora box. It's over with that!
Until people have built a decent PS library, have access to cross-progression and Sony does decide to slowly increase time between releases, with (occasional) console exclusives.

That's what I would do moving towards next-next-gen.
Gotta get em hook, line and sinker first.

Nukes incoming. Expecting Death Stranding 2, Ghost of Tshushima 2 and the best place to play GTA 6 at launch with the ps5 pro next year.

They fucked to high heaven the Gaas initiative and all of Bungie, doesnt mean the other fp studios stopped working.

Fabieter

Until people have built a decent PS library, have access to cross-progression and Sony does decide to slowly increase time between releases, with (occasional) console exclusives.

That's what I would do moving towards next-next-gen.
Gotta get em hook, line and sinker first.

Pc gamers ain't that desprite. I hope for sony that they understand their own and pc audience more than this.

The main reason for the shortages was the covid pandemic...

And demand would never be this high without the great momentum from the ps4.

We going down retard territory now

Would you argue that momentum of the previous generation isntisntq super important for the start of the new generation?

Fabieter

Somewhat important, sure. Super important? Lmao no

What's super important is not fucking up your launch in its own right.

The PS2s momentum didn't stop them from fucking up the PS3. The PS4 didn't need momentum to be succesful.

They fucked up everything they could with the ps3 I agree yes but it still helped early on for a bit. The ps2 momentum was basically all they had for the launch of the ps3 xD.

I agree that launch games are important but current leadership don't have anything to with that either. That was still somewhat the crew who made the ps4 successful.

Killjoy-NL

Pc gamers ain't that desprite. I hope for sony that they understand their own and pc audience more than this.
Thing is, it's a win-win for Sony regardless.

They've made it clear that ideally gamers play on Playstation consoles.
Since there is a plateau on consoles, as the console installbase has been relatively stagnant for the past gens, it's clear that they have to go and entice people outside of the console-market to come over to Playstation.

In case of PC, if people don't buy a PS5 alongside their PC, Sony still sold them their games and got them into their eco-system.

But a lot can happen next-gen and next-next-gen won't happen for another 10 years or so, so it's all speculation.

Pretty pointless at this point in time, tbh.

They fucked up everything they could with the ps3 I agree yes but it still helped early on for a bit. The ps2 momentum was basically all they had for the launch of the ps3 xD.

I agree that launch games are important but current leadership don't have anything to with that either. That was still somewhat the crew who made the ps4 successful.

Launch exclusives aren't even that important. The PS4 didn't have that going for it either. It's exclusive lineup was dogshit for half of its lifetime. You all love to put emphasis on having exclusives as some magical solution but the only impact that actually has on sales is you might sell 3 million in a quarter instead of 2 million, and that's only if you have something on the level of Zelda, or Spiderman, or GoW.

The simple fact is, PS is successful and will continue to be successful because they, and Nintendo, are the only real major players in the console space worldwide and have a powerful brands to keep them in the game. There's no room for anyone else anymore. If PlayStation becomes irrelevent one day, it'll be because console gaming is irrelevent, and that includes Nintendo too.

Last edited:

nial

In the long term, most Japanese games sell far better on the Switch. If Square Enix, Atlus, and Capcom start releasing their biggest games on Switch 2 from day one, it will only get worse for Sony. Right now, there are a few reasons for Japanese gamers to own a PS5, but if Sony continues to lose those, why would anyone need to own two platforms?
Square Enix, Atlus and Capcom already release a lot of games on Switch, your arguments comes down to 'they will start releasing their biggest AAA games on Switch 2 because reasons', as if anything gives us an idea of that being the case. You cannot make any argument with the Switch 2 since you know nothing about its price or launch lineup.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Thing is, it's a win-win for Sony regardless.

They've made it clear that ideally gamers play on Playstation consoles.
Since there is a plateau on consoles, as the console installbase has been relatively stagnant for the past gens, it's clear that they have to go and entice people outside of the console-market to come over to Playstation.

In case of PC, if people don't buy a PS5 alongside their PC, Sony still sold them their games and got them into their eco-system.

But a lot can happen next-gen and next-next-gen won't happen for another 10 years or so, so it's all speculation.

Pretty pointless at this point in time, tbh.

Selling a game steam isn't selling a game on their ecosystem and pc gamers are really stubborn with using other launchers so I don't see sony winning any uphill battle here.

Launch exclusives aren't even that important. The PS4 didn't have that going for it either. It's exclusive lineup was dogshit for half of its lifetime. You all love to put emphasis on having exclusives as some magical solution but the only impact that actually has on sales is you might sell 3 million in a quarter instead of 2 million, and that's only if you have something on the level of Zelda, or Spiderman, or GoW.

The simple fact is, PS is successful and will continue to be successful because they, and Nintendo, are the only real major players in the console space worldwide and have a powerful brands to keep them in the game. There's no room for anyone else anymore. If PlayStation becomes irrelevent one day, it'll be because console gaming is irrelevent, and that includes Nintendo too.

Ps3 had a pretty strong ending so alot of people said in gen 8 that they know Sony will deliver and games were truly exclusive on top of like 80% of Japanese games were also exclusive at the time just because of their history with Playstation.

It's not just their brand if they think that brand is all they need than they might end up like intel.

Killjoy-NL

Selling a game steam isn't selling a game on their ecosystem and pc gamers are really stubborn with using other launchers so I don't see sony winning any uphill battle here.
Seems they are already setting things up with PSN requirements.

Btw, Sony already won if you bought their game on PC.

Top Bottom