• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider - “I'm confident that we will hear more from Sony this Q3, next year might be their most important, and one of the best years this Generation”

nial

IP right can't be pretty complicated but I wouldn't be so sure that insomniac could just use the same spiderman universe in a sequel. Licensed IPs are pretty fishy and a bad example all around for this matter.
You're just saying anything for the sake of it; btw, I edited the post to add something more.
So yes the Golden age of ps3 and ps4 was alot better than what Sony is offering now.
Anyone reading the conversation from the outside will not be convinced with such poor points of yours,

nial

But trying to say this gen is on par with the last 02 and everything is fine is a joke filled with copium.
PS5's 2024 lineup is better than God of War 3, MAG, Heavy Rain, Gran Turismo 5 (second worst GT), White Knight Chronicles 2, ModNation Racers, and the SingStar and PS Move shovelware of 2010. There, I said it.

Fabieter

You're just saying anything for the sake of it; btw, I edited the post to add something more.

Anyone reading the conversation from the outside will not be convinced with such poor points of yours,

Your initial point involved dismissing half of the PS3’s final exclusives, which were fully owned by Sony, just to argue that the PS5's published games should count too. If you prefer their PS5 games, that’s fine, but in terms of quantity, it's a mess, and counting third-party games doesn't change that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sorry adamsapple adamsapple . You know its true

Sad GIF by MOODMAN

nial

Your initial point involved dismissing half of the PS3’s final exclusives, which were fully owned by Sony, just to argue that the PS5's published games should count too. If you prefer their PS5 games, that’s fine, but in terms of quantity, it's a mess, and counting third-party games doesn't change that.
Holy shit, this is what you guys do all the time with PS5.
And no, they're objectively first-party games owned by Sony, and I already showed you that IP ownership has nothing to do here. Why exactly isn't Bayonetta 2 on PlayStation?

Fess

Only a retarded would expect that full priced port of a game originally released 10, 6 or even 2 years ago would sell the same in PC at launch than it did in console. Specially on PC many people wait for discounts, so games keep selling during years.

But keeping this aside, PC ports cost them a couple millions, all of them already generated back to Sony more than that. Several generated dozens of millions to Sony. Meaning it's a very profitable initiative with a low risk. Even better: their revenue from PC has been growing a lot every year since they started (to release) this PC initiative back in 2019. That's why Totoki said they're doubling down on it.

Regarding the sales split of Helldivers 2 on PC, we don't know them. All we have is a vague hint of the Arrowhead CEO of users (maybe not all, he maybe was talking about the active ones in the serveers) being split around aprox. half and half per platform during the first few days of the game. Regarding confirmed hard numbers, all we know is that when combining both versions it became the fastest selling Sony game ever, selling way more than they expected. Even in the recent quarter still performed before they expected.
I know why they don’t sell, that’s why I say it’s not working. If you want to use that word then yeah it’s retarded to waste true exclusivity to sell a couple mil LTTP releases and turn their biggest hitters into inferior versions.
And Microsoft are coping them for their late PS ports, once PS5 Pro is out everything from Microsoft will play the worst on their own platform. Great plan!

hyperbertha

No shit. We already knew.

Backfired how?

Without their Gaas-strategy we would be in the exact same situation as we are in right now, because those singleplayer games people are demanding still have to be announced.

And if by aa you mean titles like Stellar Blade or Rise of the Ronin, those don't push sales in a significant way.
Without gaas many of their devs wouldn't have wasted time and resources. Look at naughty dog and bend.

Fabieter

Holy shit, this is what you guys do all the time with PS5.
And no, they're objectively first-party games owned by Sony, and I already showed you that IP ownership has nothing to do here. Why exactly isn't Bayonetta 2 on PlayStation?

Bayonetta is also weird ip license limbo.

If we gonna count 3p games like you do than let's do the same and count all 3p exclusive from playstation 1 to playstation 3 and sony wont ever match the ammount they had there like ever again.

keefged4

Too late. I'm sure I'm not alone in going PC only from now on because this generation has been so shit. Only reason I still have a PS5 is for GTA6 at this point. Maybe Astrobot too.

nial

Bayonetta is also weird ip license limbo.
Rise of the Ronin is also a weird IP license limbo, there, I made the exact same point without any substance whatsoever.
If we gonna count 3p games like you do than let's do the same and count all 3p exclusive from playstation 1 to playstation 3 and sony wont ever match the ammount they had there like ever again.
No, because I didn't do that; I did not count Final Fantasy XVI or Rebirth. I counted games produced and published by SIE.

Fabieter

Rise of the Ronin is also a weird IP license limbo, there, I made the exact same point without any substance whatsoever.

No, because I didn't do that; I did not count Final Fantasy XVI or Rebirth. I counted games produced and published by SIE.

No count them count ff 16 and rebirth. Let's do it the right way and compare all exclusive when we at it..

nial

No count them count ff 16 and rebirth. Let's do it the right way and compare all exclusive when we at it..
No, why should I? It's explicitly games produced and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment, neither game applies to these metrics.

Fabieter

No, why should I? It's explicitly games produced and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment, neither game applies to these metrics.

Why should we count games that aren't Sony-owned IPs? For all we know, *Stellar Blade 2* and *Ronin 2* could end up as exclusives on Switch 2, and Sony wouldn't be able to do anything about it. It's frustrating as a player to support a "first-party" game, only to see it gain traction and then skip your platform entirely.

Besides to your point there are also people on this board counting stuff like granblue being "exclusive" so I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

nial

Why should we count games that aren't Sony-owned IPs?
Because we always did. Everyone was calling Spider-Man first-party in 2018.
For all we know, *Stellar Blade 2* and *Ronin 2* could end up as exclusives on Switch 2, and Sony wouldn't be able to do anything about it. It's frustrating as a player to support a "first-party" game, only to see it gain traction and then skip your platform entirely.
For all we know, *Bayonetta 4* could end up as exclusive on PS5, and Nintendo wouldn't be able to do anything about it. Irrelevant and beyond the point, it's about the games as individual works, whatever happens with the IPs next doesn't change anything about the previous projects.
Besides to your point there are also people on this board counting stuff like granblue being "exclusive" so I don't know what to tell you.
Ok? I'm not those people, and I don't care about what they say. Nothing of that invalidates my point.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Because we always did. Everyone was calling Spider-Man first-party in 2018.

For all we know, *Bayonetta 4* could end up as exclusive on PS5, and Nintendo wouldn't be able to do anything about it. Irrelevant and beyond the point, it's about the games as individual works, whatever happens with the IPs next doesn't change anything about the previous projects.

Ok? I'm not those people, and I don't care about what they say. Nothing of that invalidates my point.

You are repeatingly calling two bad examples of existing ips to make a point of new games not owned by sony and making them 1p.

If you prefer current output that's subjective fine but me and many others hate current generation and current focus of Sony.

You know what, let's count them. If sony needs to rewrite history to not look as bad count me in.

Last edited:

Fess

Too late. I'm sure I'm not alone in going PC only from now on because this generation has been so shit. Only reason I still have a PS5 is for GTA6 at this point. Maybe Astrobot too.
I don’t think the generation has been shit, there are 4 games I want to play from this year alone. But since I play everything on PC now I’ll play Sony’s games in 2026 or later and the excitement is simply lacking.

Why should we count games that aren't Sony-owned IPs? For all we know, *Stellar Blade 2* and *Ronin 2* could end up as exclusives on Switch 2, and Sony wouldn't be able to do anything about it. It's frustrating as a player to support a "first-party" game, only to see it gain traction and then skip your platform entirely.

The truth is that most games of the China / Korean partnership projects wouldn't exist without Sony so they must count as Sony's until proven otherwise. Same as the relationship of Nintendo and Platinum.

PS first party has sucked this gen, but they are doing a great job with partners.

Boss Mog

Thanks captain obvious. We already know there's a PS Showcase in September to announce the PS5 Pro and new games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Starhawk was developed by Lightbox Interactive, Twisted Metal was developed by Eat Sleep Play, Journey was developed by Thatgamecompany, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault was developed by Insomniac Games, and Infamous 2 was developed by Sucker Punch Productions (in the case of the latter two, before they were acquired by SCE); none of these count under the same metric this forum likes to shit SIE's 2024 lineup for.
Fair enough with the Vita games, but I was obviously focusing on their PS3 lineup, and also, Uncharted: Golden Abyss was released in 2011.
Bolded; I was specifically talking about 2012, which is probably the worst year ever for Sony publishing.

No, that's not rephrasing it, you're just moving the goalposts. Insomniac could have very well released a Spider-Man sequel without Sony before they got acquired, that doesn't make the 2018 game less of a first-party.

No, I'm not, because I already addressed that IP ownership has literally nothing to do with that.

This is what Insomniac said regarding Spider-Man being on Xbox One back in the day:

You know why? Because Sony owns the games.

IT'S RIGHT FUCKING THERE.

Lmao by your own logic, ratchet, starhawk, journey, beyond and infamous 2 are all Sony first party exclusives because Sony owns all those ips. Sony does not own stellar blade, ff7, or even rise of ronin despite people trying to connect dots just because Sony published the game.

Regardless, you think the second half of the ps3 Gen was a nightmare which tells me all i need to know about you.

Fabieter

The truth is that most games of the China / Korean partnership projects wouldn't exist without Sony so they must count as Sony's until proven otherwise. Same as the relationship of Nintendo and Platinum.

PS first party has sucked this gen, but they are doing a great job with partners.

We also know that stuff like live a live wouldn't exist without Nintendo but i would never call it a Nintendo game!

Would you call sekiro an Activision blizzard game and would thank them for make it great?

Sony also supported loads of non 1p indies but I would never call them 1p and most of the people in the last decade were neither.

Fabieter

Shit happens.

We didn't have alot of generation 9 showcases for the 499/549 we bought. And when we finally getting them there is pro around the corner which is a sign for everyone still nterested in a ps6. Don't fall for the hype go in with the pro.

Killjoy-NL

We didn't have alot of generation 9 showcases for the 499/549 we bought. And when we finally getting them there is pro around the corner which is a sign for everyone still nterested in a ps6. Don't fall for the hype go in with the pro.
Then sell your PS5. It's pretty simple if you're that displeased with Sony.

80-90% of my time and money spent on gaming is not on any Sony title, so I see no issue with their output (I'm not even interested in most of their games).
I know they have projects in production and I'm happy to wait. They'll have a stacked second half of the gen this way, just like with PS3 and that's fine by me.

nial

You are repeatingly calling two bad examples of existing ips to make a point of new games not owned by sony and making them 1p.
You are repeatedly saying this without elaborating as to why it's the case.
Lmao by your own logic, ratchet, starhawk, journey, beyond and infamous 2 are all Sony first party exclusives
I mean, I actually think they are because I'm not as obtuse.
Sony does not own stellar blade, ff7, or even rise of ronin despite people trying to connect dots just because Sony published the game.
Stop trying to bring up FF7R2 here, it's not produced or published by SIE. You realize that Sony didn't do more on Infamous 2 than they did in Rise of the Ronin, right?
Regardless, you think the second half of the ps3 Gen was a nightmare which tells me all i need to know about you.
Why are you like this? I already told you it was about 2012, which didn't have any single good game aside from Tokyo Jungle.
Holy fucking shit. That’s it. I’m out.
God of War 3 is literally the ONLY good game here (and despite me not liking it that much); White Knights Chronicles 2, MAG, Heavy Rain and the PS Move shit isn't worth talking about, Astro Bot, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and Helldivers 2 is a much, MUCH better lineup.
We also know that stuff like live a live wouldn't exist without Nintendo but i would never call it a Nintendo game!
Funded, produced and published by Square Enix, and also released on PS4/PS5. Try again.

Fabieter

You are repeatedly saying this without elaborating as to why it's the case.

I mean, I actually think they are because I'm not as obtuse.

Stop trying to bring up FF7R2 here, it's not produced or published by SIE. You realize that Sony didn't do more on Infamous 2 than they did in Rise of the Ronin, right?

Why are you like this? I already told you it was about 2012, which didn't have any single good game aside from Tokyo Jungle.

God of War 3 is literally the ONLY good game here (and despite me not liking it that much); White Knights Chronicles 2, MAG, Heavy Rain and the PS Move shit isn't worth talking about, Astro Bot, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and Helldivers 2 is a much, MUCH better lineup.

Funded, produced and published by Square Enix, and also released on PS4/PS5. Try again.

And no Nintendo published it. But I don't care anymore let's count sony published game as 1p and not with others.

Fabieter

Then sell your PS5. It's pretty simple if you're that displeased with Sony.

80-90% of my time and money spent on gaming is not on any Sony title, so I see no issue with their output (I'm not even interested in most of their games).
I know they have projects in production and I'm happy to wait. They'll have a stacked second half of the gen this way, just like with PS3 and that's fine by me.

Yes just sell it. No critism allowed, Jesus!

nial

And no Nintendo published it. But I don't care anymore let's count sony published game as 1p and not with others.
Yes, in the West; Square Enix published it in Japan (the country in which the game was developed!), and it didn't have any single Nintendo producer working on it. As I already said, try again!

Fabieter

Yes, in the West; Square Enix published it in Japan (the country in which the game was developed!), and it didn't have any single Nintendo producer working on it. As I already said, try again!

So its not about publishing. It needs producers as well.

Like I said count them in if sony need those games to not make their lineup look bad.

At some point it gets stupid though.

Critism is never stupid and shit like they this shouldn't be excused.

It really feels like a Deja Vu from February 2017 and November 2020 when a lot of people were saying that PS was doomed because the other 2 competitors were releasing new consoles.

The company haven’t done some stuff properly but their numbers are good.

It’s like some people never learn.

yurinka

Where exactly did I say that?
It's clear, in the message I quoted.

I said Sony has become the Xbox meme because the insiders are always hyping up their next show then when the show comes it's shit,then the insiders hype up that next year will be the year. Same shit they did with Xbox.
Ah ok. I misunderstood it, sorry.

I agree with this. It's also worth mentioning that most of the "insiders" who overhype Sony events -once they happen, sometimes they mention events that never exist- are Xbox fanboys. I think that their idea is to overhype Sony fans to make sure they later get dissapointed no matter what they show.

I prefer to keep the expectations low and to don't expect anything, so I receive better whatever cool stuff they show or announce.

yurinka

Sony has exactly ZERO single player games from their western OWNED first party prime studios launched/announced for this year and the next , wich are the 4th and 5th year of the console lifecicle, they have only Astrobot from japan studio to account for. So for me personaly is a mess of a gen and terrible effort from Sony in this front. Second/third party games from outsourced studios are fine to fill the holes but are not the main reason I own playstation, never were. Gaas and MP dosent appeal to me. So this gaas push by sony really fucked up things for my taste.

If people are happy playing games not made by sony and/or the gaas shit they are making, well good for you/them.

But trying to say this gen is on par with the last 02 and everything is fine is a joke filled with copium.
It's amazing how can you ultracherrypick and lie just to find something to complain about, acting as if many great Sony games didn't exist and other ones that shouldn't be counted because of potatoes.

yurinka

I know why they don’t sell, that’s why I say it’s not working. If you want to use that word then yeah it’s retarded to waste true exclusivity to sell a couple mil LTTP releases and turn their biggest hitters into inferior versions.
And Microsoft are coping them for their late PS ports, once PS5 Pro is out everything from Microsoft will play the worst on their own platform. Great plan!
They heavily increase the related revenue every year (over 100% increase last quarter when also adding rival consoles), should be around a billion or more in the current one. And a big chunk of it being profit. So not too far, maybe even this same year they'll be making around or above one billions of profit per year from it. Not a "waste" or "retarded" at all.

yurinka

And hermen and nishino are just riding on decisions made by previous executives. We will start to see their impact in the second part of this generation and if playstation isn't growing significantly in the next five years than we know that they were the wrong people for the positions.
Sure, Jan. They will continue the path of improving in all fronts, and in the second part of the generation you'll continue saying it's because of the people that were there over a decade or two before them.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Nice so I can expect Legend of Dragoon, Legacy of Kain, Sly, Jak and Daxter, them buying back Crash and Spyro and actually making them good like the PS1 games, a new medieval IP from ND, and probably 4 or 5 other awesome new games. Anything less is DISASTER and DISAPPOINTING!
u mfs are never gonna get far in life if you dont let the past go

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Ps fans aren’t ps fans because of platformers and gaas games. We want single player narrative driven games with next Gen graphics.
must suck being a PS fan then, with such a limited palate

While I would love more 3d platformers that falls on Astrobot for now. But hey maybe we get some Jak or something at some point if that's successful!
you would be better off waiting for other publishers/devs to pick up the slack because Sony's never gonna do so at this rate

Top Bottom