• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: Star Wars Outlaws Has Sold Just 1 Million Copies In The Month Since It Launched

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
RhSPXn3.png

I thought this snippet about SW Outlaws sales from that larger AC Shadows report was noteworthy and deserved its own thread.

Star Wars Outlaws was plagued with issues at launch, some of which led Ubisoft to make drastic tweaks. It wasn’t well received by the general market, and gamers worldwide have been giving it pretty low scores. It comes as no surprise to learn that in an entire month on the shelves, Star Wars Outlaws has sold just one million copies.

It’s not as many sales as Ubisoft expected, which explains the recent comments about the game’s performance proving ‘softer than expected’. It’s also partly why Assassin’s Creed Shadows was considerably delayed, being pushed back from November 2024 to February 2024.
Insider Gaming hasn’t been able to learn what the expected sales figure was for Star Wars Outlaws, but we have secured a current sales figure from sources close to the game. At the time of writing, Star Wars Outlaws has just ticked over one million sales worldwide.

To put that into perspective, we reported in January 2024 that three months after Assassin’s Creed Mirage had hit the market, it had secured five million sales.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s not as many sales as Ubisoft expected, which explains the recent comments about the game’s performance proving ‘softer than expected’. It’s also partly why Assassin’s Creed Shadows was considerably delayed, being pushed back from November 2024 to February 2024.
What they're going to do is massively blow out the game in Nov and Dec at ridiculous prices to pump up the units sold. And they dont want any gamers on the fence to buy Outlaws and ignore AC.

Blade2.0

Started playing it yesterday. I don't hate it but it also isn't great. Getting used to the controls is the hardest part. Things like talking to people which we've done forever on the x or o button was changed to R3. I am constantly messing up with the controls.

pqueue

like the Avatar license game that came out a few months ago.

it is a passable, though overall mediocre, product that can provide tens of hours of repetitive gameplay that can be used to kill time.

The dilemma is real, on the one hand i like Ubi and want for them to succeed, but if it's not so hot then they will make a sale sooner, oh well i hope they will have better sales i will wait.

RCX

1 million copies with 4 years of dev time, marketing and...big time IP licensing fees.

More dev time planned to "fix" it and you can count on heavy discounts likely before the end of the month.

Concord will still win but this has to be a lock for #2 biggest financial bomb of the year.

Started playing it yesterday. I don't hate it but it also isn't great. Getting used to the controls is the hardest part. Things like talking to people which we've done forever on the x or o button was changed to R3. I am constantly messing up with the controls.
I'm not totally sure since i don't own the game yet but saw some tips vid where i saw you can change that R3 in the settings, might try it if you didn't yet.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How many of those "one million in sales" are they counting for people who subscribed to Ubisoft+ for a month to play it, then bounced?

Fbh

m6WOemp.jpeg

People are tired of the same old Ubisoft formula and the ugly girlboss trope.
Meanwhile Disney has been making sure to stay consistent at devaluing the Star Wars IP

This isn't only bad for Ubisoft but for Disney as well. The Star Wars franchise after get they got their hands on it has just been tanking in value. Don't think they can command the same licensing fees in the future after this and Acolyte.

Yup, it's pretty sad how both Ubisoft and Star Wars have devalued over the years.
Imagine if in 2009 right after the excitement of the release of Assassins Creed 2 it would have been announced that Ubisoft was going to make an open world bounty hunter Star Wars game. The reaction to it would have been completely different.

That’s about what, 40-45 million in revenue for a game that probably cost 100m+ to develop and another 50m+ to market, and we haven’t even talked about the Disney licensing fee. Ubi is going to lose 75-100 million on this game.

Sharius

Neo Member
but hey, if you compare it with concord, it's a whole 1 million sale, lmao, the day ubislop go bankrupt, i will dance on their grave

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
1 million copies probably doesn’t cover the launch marketing costs. They needed RDR2 numbers.

I don't think they needed RDR2 numbers, but they damn well sure needed more then 1 million.

At this stage with the doubling down of DEI and expected less advertising of same its time to double down on that backlog.

I rarely watch movies or TV shows from 2017 onwards, gaming looks similar.

Feel better bruv, watch a select few. Make a thread on Off-topic about recommended shows and you'll see lots of great shows have released since 2017.

Not everything is doom and gloom and I think many on here take this whole DEI and "woke" thing waaaaay too seriously.
True, and I have to imagine those royalty fees to Disney/Lucasfilms ensure they don't reach profitability anytime soon, if ever.
I think they probably will, but that game will have to go on sale, be on Steam etc

AmuroChan

That’s about what, 40-45 million in revenue for a game that probably cost 100m+ to develop and another 50m+ to market, and we haven’t even talked about the Disney licensing fee. Ubi is going to lose 75-100 million on this game.

It costs way more than $100m. The Outlaws team has 600 people, and that's not including external support studios and contractors. That's 3x the size of an average 200-person AAA team. The SW license alone probably costs around $100m.

rm082e

Not everything is doom and gloom and I think many on here take this whole DEI and "woke" thing waaaaay too seriously.

It's not that people refused to buy a great game because the woke studio decided to make the main character model ugly. Outlaws reviewed at 75/100. The issue is woke activists just suck at making good creative entertainment. The suits are letting them drive with the idea that they'll appeal to a wide audience, then they confidently go off to make games/TV/movies that reinforce their ideology. Setting the ideology stuff, the result is just plain bad games/TV/movies.

We've seen enough of this over the last few years that the general audience can smell wokeness and they're avoiding it because they've learned it's generally a crutch for bland and boring media. That's why all these games/TV/movies are bombing so hard - no one is showing up to watch or play.

Last edited:

RoboEight

I purchased a month of Ubisoft+ to play this and no matter what setting I used the launcher kept launching ads that shut down the game so I gave up after troubleshooting for a few hours which is a shame cause I didn't mind what I played but their launcher is busted.

It's always great to be reminded that most gamers feel like I do and don't like this kind of bullshit.

I wish we at least got Ragtag, the only time anything interesting was being done with Star Wars under Disney.

This isn't only bad for Ubisoft but for Disney as well. The Star Wars franchise after get they got their hands on it has just been tanking in value. Don't think they can command the same licensing fees in the future after this and Acolyte.
They decided to turn Star Wars into one big, fat middle finger to anyone who liked Star Wars before 2016.

The sheer arrogance of it all, they wanted to toss aside decades worth of a fandom is favor of an entirely new fandom and audience who are only a fraction of the size and they truly believed this would pan out.

Generic

RhSPXn3.png

I thought this snippet about SW Outlaws sales from that larger AC Shadows report was noteworthy and deserved its own thread.

Does this means the game sold only 200k copies in September? IIRC it sold 800k copies in late August when it was released.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
. The issue is woke activists just suck at making good creative entertainment.

You have games that flop all the time that have nothing to do with that though...my issue is, why force this idea that THAT is the "issue"? Its like saying Battleborn failed cause "woke activist"

Law Breakers flopped too, did thy have "woke activists" cause the game wasn't really creative.... it tries to force this idea that it must be the only reason, when we have games flop all the time that have nothing to do with what you are talking about, so I sure people like that exist, I'm sure many of em worked on Star Wars Outlaws too, but to boil down this issue on the game under performing on that is a bit extereme and seems to just want to jump into some culture war thing.

The suits are letting them drive with the idea that they'll appeal to a wide audience, then they confidently go off to make games/TV/movies that reinforce their ideology. Setting the ideology stuff, the result is just plain bad games/TV/movies.

and none of that supports why they game had other issues though lol

Look man, sometimes a game flops......thats it.

We have lots of games that failed that had nothing to do with "woke" or "anti-woke" at act as if that 1 idea must be why to fucking whine about it online. Thats like me saying "OMG Outrides flops, the issue is anti woke activist really, shoving all of their hate into games, THAT is why it flopped YES, WE WIN" (series of tic tok noises) lol

So yea, I stand by my statement, people exaggerate this shit a bit too much.

KINGMOKU

I don't think they needed RDR2 numbers, but they damn well sure needed more then 1 million.

Feel better bruv, watch a select few. Make a thread on Off-topic about recommended shows and you'll see lots of great shows have released since 2017.

I think they probably will, but that game will have to go on sale, be on Steam etc
And this is the issue. I am one of those people, that if a product or service has the reek of DEI on it, I will, if possible, immediately use an alternative, stop using the product altogether, or just not purchase it.

I suspect that there are far more people like me, then you might suspect. It adds up. Hell, I stopped using Gillette razors back in the day after that stupid ass commercial, and now I use a small business made safety razor, in which blades are dirt cheap, and it cuts better. I will never go back. Gillettes own stupidity, exposed me to something better. I also have completely cut out P&G from my existence.

Gaming? It is exceedingly easy to not buy games touched by this insanity. Far easier then everyday products.

Companies, and people selling products have to take it seriously, or suffer lost sales, period.

Top Bottom