• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel has lost all of its dedicated GPU market share

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

In a nutshell: The two main players in the dedicated desktop graphics card market, Nvidia and AMD, enjoyed a positive quarter. Unfortunately, Intel failed to latch onto the upswing as it still struggles to break into the sector. The lack of movement in Intel GPUs certainly isn't helping as the company faces troubles elsewhere, but the next round of the AIB race is set to begin late this year or early next year.

According to a report from Jon Peddie Research, dedicated desktop GPU sales rose significantly in the second quarter of 2024 for everyone except Intel. Although the market is up overall, share didn't change from last quarter.

Shipments of AIBs reached approximately 9.5 million units, an increase of 9.4 percent from Q1 2024 and 48 percent from Q2 2023. The quarterly jump is well above average, indicating a strong recovery.

2024-09-25-image-11.jpg

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
You need to have GPU cheap and powerful enough to compete with Nvidia topline GPUs, otherwise people won't bother.

Last edited:

Wolzard

Neo Member
Despite this separation between dedicated and integrated GPUs, for companies it is all the same and at this point Intel is the market leader. Perhaps for them it would be more interesting to focus on delivering decent GPUs in the laptop market, where they dominate.

GPU-market-share-Q2-2024-JPR.png

they focus neither on OEM nor AIB. And all the bad drivers during launch pretty much scared away any customers that were interested.

StereoVsn

Intel released first generation ARC and then basically gave up lol

It's not easy breaking into the GPU market as it turns out.

What’s weird is that they were doing pretty well on the low end and had decent upscaling tech. And had promising future architecture.

Then bam, it’s Joever.

simpatico

What’s weird is that they were doing pretty well on the low end and had decent upscaling tech. And had promising future architecture.

Then bam, it’s Joever.
I was expecting their next big hyped card Battle Mage to be a real contender with any mid to high end AMD card.

GreatnessRD

Where is Leo to tell me Battlemage is gonna be a huge improvement? I need that assurance right about now because yikes!

AMD losing 5 more % this year, making Nvidia almost 90% in the discreet GPU space, scares me even more than Intel losing their non-,existent market share.

Battlemage is gonna be laughed at by RDNA4 so badly, since AMD are going mid-range only this time and have nothing in the high end space to compete against the RTX 5090.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
AMD losing 5 more % this year, making Nvidia almost 90% in the discreet GPU space, scares me even more than Intel losing their non-,existent market share.

Battlemage is gonna be laughed at by RDNA4 so badly, since AMD are going mid-range only this time and have nothing in the high end space to compete against the RTX 5090.
It's going to be a shitshow. What kind? Let's wait and see... I want to grab a 5090/Ti ASAP. Then pull the fuck out, build for the next 10 years and hunker the motherfuck down.

El Muerto

Gold Member
The drivers should of been ready for primetime when the GPUs came out. I thought about getting one on release but the drivers held back the cards big time. The newer drivers greatly improved performance. And Xess seems to work better than FSR. Hope they stay in the game, we need competition.

unclbenn

Alchemist was a Cinderella story, I hope battlemage continues that trend. Even if they just compete with amd it's a win for consumers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom