• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Into the Breach |OT| Pacific Rim: Tactics

maxresdefault.jpg

Subset Games, makers of one of the GOATs, FTL: Faster Than Light make a transition from rouge-like RTS to a grid-based tactics game where the goal is not so much as to defeat your opponents, but to "play defense." The monstrosities known as the Vek have invaded Earth from the underground (think in terms of Locusts from Gears of War, but Godzilla sized). Control powerful mechs to prevent extinction of mankind.

Achievements and cloud saves on Steam
DRM-Free on GOG
Humble Store

ryrow8wc2lwjdpkmmiuy.jpg

cibrulk4cr1p3argyofj.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ItB isn't much to look at just like FTL, but man, the depth of this game is obscene for such a simple 8x8 tile. Unlike FTL where you could end up against a Zoltan ship with Engi B on the first sector (RIP), in ItB, winning and losing is a matter that is mostly in your hands--and brain.

I've only included screenshots of three terrains when there are four. I am playing on Normal, and will earn the fourth island as nature intended. As you can see, terrain can catch fire or smoked or ice can be shattered into water, impacting grid conditions. On the ice grid is my favorite team so far, the Rusting Hulks. The mech that can shield itself and adjacent allies is obscenely effective. The jet's maneuverability and neutralization of enemy attacks is crazy. And then there's the standard artillery mech.

There are other teams that I have not quite figured out yet. Zenith Guard with the ram mech and drone that can throw shields from a distance...I have not figured out the utility yet. And Blitzkreig squad would be cool if I could figure out the utility of the hook mech. Throwing boulders is cool to block projectiles but not enemy artillery, and the boulder only pushes horizontally instead of all four directions like the standard Rift Walker artillery.

Anyone else playing this brilliant game?

DXlS8IKVQAE2Txt.jpg:large

Not paying attention on the very last turn, my jet pilot of the Rusting Hulks, Camila Vera, was sitting under an environmental hazard tile. And I clicked End Turn like a fool. Brutal loss. Like, felt like XCOM. But we won anyway. 4-island victory in her name.

Makariel

I finished it twice, tried some more of the unlocked mechs, got bored, stopped playing after about 10 hours. Doesn't grip me nowhere near as much as FTL did, and that's despite it having mecha, and I love mecha, I have nearly a dozen Gundam standing around in my place. But this just got so repetitive after the first time I finished it, and I'm not interested in achievements. I guess if you love to do challenge runs that's a great game, but I just don't find the game mechanics interesting enough myself.

Cato

Banned
Not me, not yet.

I got roped into get FTL, and while it is a cute indie, it is not, imho, a very interesting or good game.
I will pass this time.

Is nobody playing this? It's bloody awesome! Really well done.

From a strategy standpoint, I think it's a much tighter game than FTL. The removal of the roguelike elements allows for you to make more precise decisions.

With the exception of the Zenith guard, I feel like I am in complete control of whether or not I succeed or fail.

DXlS8IKVQAE2Txt.jpg:large

Not paying attention on the very last turn, my jet pilot of the Rusting Hulks, Camila Vera, was sitting under an environmental hazard tile. And I clicked End Turn like a fool. Brutal loss. Like, felt like XCOM. But we won anyway. 4-island victory in her name.

They should introduce a (KIA) label for pilots killed during the game. In this case, having Camila not mentioned in that screen is quite unfair! They sacrificed themselves to save humanity!

Regarding the game, I already expressed my thought in the reviews thread. I'll just say that the presentation is very nice and the strategy/tactics aspects are very tight and well designed (even if at first it's a bit difficult to notice, given the seemingly random behaviour of the Vek). I think it's a bit too focused on asking the player to find the "perfect" move every turn, but this is not a negative point per se. Even with the different islands and the different pilots/mechs, after about 8 hours I don't really feel the urge to go back to the game.

I'm playing and enjoying this when I can. Very fun game but sometimes frustrating as you often have to think about what is more acceptable to "lose" in a given situation. I like the tighter scope compared to something like Super Robot Taisen or Front Mission etc.. with 50+ units etc.. it leads to more strategic and careful planning.

I really like the "push-back" elements of the moves and how they play into the positioning of everything. I also enjoy the time travel narrative aspects are integrated organically with the gameplay elements such as a replaying the campaign from the beginning or undoing a turn.

Overall I've only played a little bit but I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Gets my thumbs up!

Last edited:

Fledz

I finished it twice, tried some more of the unlocked mechs, got bored, stopped playing after about 10 hours. Doesn't grip me nowhere near as much as FTL did, and that's despite it having mecha, and I love mecha, I have nearly a dozen Gundam standing around in my place. But this just got so repetitive after the first time I finished it, and I'm not interested in achievements. I guess if you love to do challenge runs that's a great game, but I just don't find the game mechanics interesting enough myself.
I totally understand and this is perhaps my fear for the longevity of it. FTL I played forever but I can see this dropping off quickly. Then again, there's endless potential for expansions so they can probably gather a lot of feedback and then introduce new elements that people want. Perhaps even a bigger grid?

I totally understand and this is perhaps my fear for the longevity of it. FTL I played forever but I can see this dropping off quickly. Then again, there's endless potential for expansions so they can probably gather a lot of feedback and then introduce new elements that people want. Perhaps even a bigger grid?

I think the grid is fixed, and essential to the balance of the game.

Much of the appeal of FTL had to do with it being a roguelike, and "tricking" players into a sense of security. A couple of good random events here, a couple bad ones there, but nothing you can't handle. And then WHAM! You're up against Zoltan shields and all you have are missiles after a shot into your weapons bay.

So you start again. Get screwed in the first two sectors. Restart again. You want to get strong. Every jump to a new location, you don't know what's going to be there. It's a surprise. Into the Breach tells you plainly, and dares you to conquer it.

In Into the Breach, I believe that with every faction (but Zenith), you can conquer two islands and make it to the end. Capping four islands requires more skill, better teams, but there is less luck involved. In FTL, you're actively winging it, while Into the Breach is methodical, and requires you to think a few turns ahead.

I enjoy games that make me think of the "perfect" solution.

fatty

This has been on my wish list and with it being half price right now on eshop I pulled the trigger.

I would describe this game as a mix between Advance Wars and XCOM: UFO Defense. I’m only about an hour or two in but I like this more than FTL. Doesn‘t seem like luck is involved as much.

I really like it so far and if you are on the fence pick it up as it is half off on the Switch right now.

This has been on my wish list and with it being half price right now on eshop I pulled the trigger.

I would describe this game as a mix between Advance Wars and XCOM: UFO Defense. I’m only about an hour or two in but I like this more than FTL. Doesn‘t seem like luck is involved as much.

I really like it so far and if you are on the fence pick it up as it is half off on the Switch right now.

You have chosen...

Wisely

DonF

I love it. Perfect game to play on the switch and in short bursts.
You can get a very satisfying and complete run on 20 minutes and that's not speedrunning, it's by design.

Once you unlock more teams and units, the game changes completely, and the challenges are a nice"hint" and incentive to try new strategies.

The game looks great for what it is and runs great.
Can't recommend it enough to strategy games fans.

My impression of ITB was that it's closer to being a puzzle game. I say that because it feels like the AI is programmed to always give you a way out, as long as you aren't playing stupidly (eg. Doing nothing with your units, purposely choosing bad options in your opening turns etc.).

The odds are always in the enemy's favour but the AI will make moves that allow you to win (like targeting one unit instead of two when it obviously can), it's up to you to figure out what that solution is every turn.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I wound up picking this back up since I can play it on Mac. I forgot how good the gameplay is. I think I am going to go for 100% achievements on it. Only 10 left to go.

Top Bottom