• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

-griffy-

Banned
Forgive my stupidness...but why would you whitelist a site to allow pop-ups or ads??

Some sites won't play video content if they see you are using an adblocker, so you might need to whitelist in that case for example. And maybe it's a site you personally want to support via the ads or something.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Forgive my stupidness...but why would you whitelist a site to allow pop-ups or ads??

Ads are how a site makes money so they can pay the people who make it. If you like what a site is doing, allowing ads means they can keep making money from you.

I really resisted ad blocking for a long time, but sites have abused privilege. These new ads that track everything and where 95% of a page is ads and ad Javascript it's just gone too far.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So what's the verdict on the best content blocker? Is it Crystal or did a new one crop up? Since I never played with the beta I haven't kept up with that.

empyrean

So what's the verdict on the best content blocker? Is it Crystal or did a new one crop up? Since I never played with the beta I haven't kept up with that.
Purify dev claims his is quicker than Crystal posted some picture showing the claimed difference.

NekoFever

God, the difference with Crystal on is ridiculous. Whoever's been letting ad networks get this bloated should be ashamed.

snack

Purify dev claims his is quicker than Crystal posted some picture showing the claimed difference.
Yeah here's the picture.

CO10cNhUAAATNRg.jpg

In photos, I select all photos in a group then hit "add to" at the bottom and the entire app just closes.

Is this happening with anyone else?

So I'm clear for upgrading my 5S to this? Because I don't want to touch it if it kills my battery, makes shit slow, etc., but early reviews seem to say 5S perform the same, if not better, on iOS 9.

kaskade

I just posted crystal since it was first. Purify seems to offer more control which is why I'm probably gonna switch to that. I do want to be able to whitelist some sites.

NekoFever

Anyone know how I can get the new notes app, I was on the beta and chose to use the old version for compatibility.

If you go into Notes and hit the back button in the top left, do you have a little 'Upgrade' button on the right, above iCloud?

Lima

Purify is by the same guy that developed uBlock for desktop browsers which is regarded as the best ad blocker. Easy choice, my money is on him.

jstripes

Banned
God, the difference with Crystal on is ridiculous. Whoever's been letting ad networks get this bloated should be ashamed.

No kidding.

"I have a plethora of analytic and advertising scripts, and I'm going to use every single one of them."

Things like that happen until there's a pushback against it. Now there's the ability for a pushback.

NekoFever

No kidding.

"I have a plethora of analytic and advertising scripts, and I'm going to use every single one of them."

Things like that happen until there's a pushback against it. Now there's the ability for a pushback.

You mean you don't need connections to 54 domains to read a 200-word story?

cjp

Does it run alright on your 5? Wondering if I should suggest my mom update her phone or hold out.

Based on just the last half an hour, it seems to run great. Not sure whether my mind will change after a couple of days but right now, I say go for it.

Not to mention letting them run ads that redirect you from the page you're trying to see, making it impossible to get back to it using the back button, and forcing open the app store (despite Apple having tried in the past to block those) all at once. Advertisers and their lack of supervision/approval control can rot in hell for all I care.

Not to mention letting them run ads that redirect you from the page you're trying to see, making it impossible to get back to it using the back button, and forcing open the app store (despite Apple having tried in the past to block those) all at once. Advertisers and their lack of supervision/approval control can rot in hell for all I care.

Yeah, that's way out of fucking line. Unacceptable.

Fularu

Banned
Will ios9 fix the music player? Because since the launch of Apple music it sucks hardcore.

I can't listen to a full music list on random since it loses track of where it is and replays most songs (Will play a it 25 random songs then cycle through them instead of the 300 songs the list has)

I hope they also fix the list playing reset whenever I unplug my headphones and plug them back in 4 hours later and it restarts at the first song. Those two issues were introduced with iOS 8.4 and haven't been fixed since and make listening to music a pita

McHuj

Worth putting this on an iPad 3? Put it on my Air, but wondering if the Ipad 3 will be too slow for it,

Top Bottom