• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

No kidding.

"I have a plethora of analytic and advertising scripts, and I'm going to use every single one of them."

Things like that happen until there's a pushback against it. Now there's the ability for a pushback.

Unfortunately, site admins will just bitch about ad blockers instead of actually fixing their shit.

NekoFever

Not to mention letting them run ads that redirect you from the page you're trying to see, making it impossible to get back to it using the back button, and forcing open the app store (despite Apple having tried in the past to block those) all at once. Advertisers and their lack of supervision/approval control can rot in hell for all I care.

I had one this morning that opened Messages and prefilled their number and a long text subscribing to some premium text service. Luckily they couldn't send it automatically, but I thought it was an appropriate symbol of why this is necessary on the day that ad blocking becomes possible on iOS.

Mr Swine

Banned
I really like iOS 9 but since twitch and YouTube doesn't support either PiP and Slide over I'm a bit disappointed in that. Even worse is that you can't watch a stream and surf at the same time, I guess that's why it's required to have 2GB ram to do that

Epix

List of less known features that were added.

Settings Search
settingsearch.jpg

Improved Battery Settings (connected devices shown in notification center, sweet)
notificationcenterbatterylife.jpg

Find my Friends Widget
findmyfriendsnotificationcenter.jpg

4x4 Folders on iPad
ipad_4_4.jpg

Selfies Folder (front facing camera pics) added.
photosappalbums.jpg

more

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I had one this morning that opened Messages and prefilled their number and a long text subscribing to some premium text service. Luckily they couldn't send it automatically, but I thought it was an appropriate symbol of why this is necessary on the day that ad blocking becomes possible on iOS.
Wow. Yeah, this shit needs to stop. I'm all for giving sites ad money and all but when the ad creators have gotten this out of control and desperate then the gloves are off. You no longer get a say.

Aurizen

its up now for $4 tho...my cheapass will probably stick with crystal til i can see some more comparisons that aren't done by the developer :p

Oh wow! I thought it was gonna be free... guess I'll wait for Safari Blocker. I would use crystal but iphone phone 5 non 64 bit

cjp

I take back what I said about the wallpapers. The wet leaves one looks pretty nice actually.

SeanR1221

Initial impressions

Multitasking on iPad is really nice

So is PiP

I really like the news app. I especially like how you can add a page right from safari. I won't be using flipboard or feedly again.

Apple Music still isn't great. I was mentioning in the thread that I can't make entire playlists available offline. Wtf Apple.

samn

News isn't available in many countries yet. You can work around it by changing your region in settings.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Wasn't iOS 9 suppose to take up like 3GB less than iOS 8 ?

not exactly. The base install footprint is much smaller. The OS itself is about as large as it has always been, give or take. Apple just made it so that if you only had, say 2-3GB of available space on your phone, you'd be able to install the newest OSes without deleting apps/files.

So (I believe) the base install/download for iOS9 is in the 1.9GB ballpark. But when it's installed, it's roughly the same size overall as iOS8.

Apple Music still isn't great. I was mentioning in the thread that I can't make entire playlists available offline. Wtf Apple.

Sort of sort of not.. You can bulk download playlists offline, yes. But there is no such thing in music as designating a playlist as flagged offline (i.e. new songs added to it will auto-download). Pretty sure that behavior is a design decision. Not sure what the answer is. TBH, it behaves currently like I'd personally expect it to. I only want songs (or playlists, or albums, etc) to download that I explicitly download.. Not "auto-download" because of some setting I flagged months (or years) ago, etc. Stuff that is available offline won't be deleted for space automatically like the normal caching.

That being said, I understand what is being asked for.. not sure the answer.. a setting or special kind of playlist?

Animator

Since updating to 9 app store is showing four available updates even though there are none. Really hate the new double click home button app view as well, old one was much cleaner.

Also is the news app not available in Canada? Can't find it anywhere.

SlideOver

Is there any way to edit the list of which apps show up in the SlideOver tray on iPad? If not, it needs to be introduced in a future update. Maybe a section in the settings app at the very least. I don't really need Tips and Game Center in there. And a whole lot else as more third-party apps begin to add SlideOver functionality. I love SlideOver, but only for a select few apps.

Without a way to edit it, the SlideOver tray will become a cluttered mess, quick.

LCfiner

Oh wow! I thought it was gonna be free... guess I'll wait for Safari Blocker. I would use crystal but iphone phone 5 non 64 bit

crystal isn’t going to be free forever apparently. might as well get it now and delete it. then you have it if you get anew phone.

vpance

Still on iOS7 for my Air. Guess it's my last chance to go with 8 today? Never liked installing the latest OS straight away.

samn

SlideOver

Is there any way to edit the list of which apps show up in the SlideOver tray on iPad? If not, it needs to be introduced in a future update. Maybe a section in the settings app at the very least. I don't really need Tips and Game Center in there. And a whole lot else as more third-party apps begin to add SlideOver functionality. I love SlideOver, but only for a select few apps.

Without a way to edit it, the SlideOver tray will become a cluttered mess, quick.

The Tray works like the app switcher - recently used apps appear towards the bottom. After a while you'll never see tips or game center.

Fliesen

SlideOver

well, it does sort by recent, bottom to top, right?

so, eventually you'd have messages, messenger, email and whatnot at quick disposal.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
SlideOver

like task switcher. will list apps by most recently used. thus frequently used apps will always be at the top.

I really like iOS 9 but since twitch and YouTube doesn't support either PiP and Slide over I'm a bit disappointed in that. Even worse is that you can't watch a stream and surf at the same time, I guess that's why it's required to have 2GB ram to do that

Twitch you can put /hls at the end of the stream URL (i.e. http://twitch.tv/streamer/hls) in Safari, start it up and pop it out to picture in picture. Plus no ads.

Top Bottom