• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

RedAssedApe

Banned
Do I need to wait a bit for Crystal to kick in? Enabled it but I'm still seeing ads in Safari.

there were some people saying that the block lists weren't getting updated for them earlier. when you have crystal open if it says "blocklist version: 0" it means the blocklist hasn't been updated. Mine is up to 4. Try restarting the app.

jelly

You need a iPhone/iPad with a 64bit CPU to use ad blockers sadly

Thanks for info. I'll upgrade eventually. 5 suits me fine for now. Shame about that though.

iOS9 seems a bit slow on the 5, the ambient light sensor is being a bit weird, screen going really dull then bright unlike before. See how the performance goes but not feeling like it's the same or faster than 8.

App switcher blows. No need for that change.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Useful tip for Crystal users:

If a website fails to load correctly, what should I do?

Crystal works on the vast majority of websites, although some may have compatibility problems as I haven't got round to testing every single website... yet! - Use the report site feature to make me aware of the problem so we can fix it, and hold down the refresh button in Safari, it'll give you an option to reload the page on without Crystal as a temporary workaround.

I sent a report about Slickdeals since the front page seems to have product images blocked.

samn

Useful tip for Crystal users:

That's just awful. There should be a user-controlled whitelist built into the app.

Devs have had access to iOS 9 for months, this guy had enough time to make an app with the bare minimum features expected of an adblocker, and he failed.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Hulu updated with PiP.

That's just awful. There should be a user-controlled whitelist built into the app.

Devs have had access to iOS 9 for months, this guy had enough time to make an app with the bare minimum features expected of an adblocker, and he failed.

Yup. I was looking all over for a whitelist option.

there were some people saying that the block lists weren't getting updated for them earlier. when you have crystal open if it says "blocklist version: 0" it means the blocklist hasn't been updated. Mine is up to 4. Try restarting the app.

That was it. Opened up the app and it said "Blocklist version: 0", waited like 5 seconds and it automatically changed to 4 and now ads are being blocked. Thanks!

Lima

Is there a big difference between purify and crystal other than one being free?
Looks like only purify has whitelists?

Purify also blocks popups and removes white spaces where ads used to be and allows whitelisting. As do Blockr and some other paid blockers.

Basically what I'm trying to say is Crystal is trash and it is hilarious that I got the expected answers from cheap asses on here.

You never thought about donating to the guys that made adblock, ublock etc. either right? They make your web experience the way you know it. It is something you use every single day. If $3,99 is too expensive for that then wtf is wrong with you.

So it looks like I have 5 pending updates from the App Store, but the "update" button always changes to "open" and they won't actually update

Should I just wait it out or what

Josta

So how's ipad 3 running on ios9? Mine is a dog on ios8, so I'm not optimistic, but you never know.
Mine runs fine. I never had too much of an issue with iOS 8, though. I just wish content blocking was available on the iPad 3 :-( It's starting to look like anything earlier than an iPad Air is slowly getting phased out of new features.

So what am I supposed to do about updating apps on iPad? I can update on my phone but not on my tablet. Which is the one I actually want to update so I can use split screen.

How the fuck did this slip through?

samn

Anyone know if you can use slide over with Twitter on iPad mini 2?

I'm guessing no since I can't see it.

I don't see why not? It supports slide over on my Air 2, and the mini 2 should support slide over... check you updated the app.

Mine runs fine. I never had too much of an issue with iOS 8, though. I just wish content blocking was available on the iPad 3 :-( It's starting to look like anything earlier than an iPad Air is slowly getting phased out of new features.

Invest in Weblock, it blocks all ads over wifi, in every app. It uses the proxy mechanism, though it doesn't actually pass your traffic through a proxy. Instead it instructs your device to check against a list of blocked addresses.

Multitasking for iPad and Crystal are absolutely life changing for me. I'm able to use Hulu on the side now.

Does Crystal block those ads that instantly open up as a new tab as well?

Purify also blocks popups and removes white spaces where ads used to be and allows whitelisting. As do Blockr and some other paid blockers.

Basically what I'm trying to say is Crystal is trash and it is hilarious that I got the expected answers from cheap asses on here.

You never thought about donating to the guys that made adblock, ublock etc. either right? They make your web experience the way you know it. It is something you use every single day. If $3,99 is too expensive for that then wtf is wrong with you.

I'm using crystal until the dust settles in a few days/a week and there is a better consensus on which paid blocker is best. Crystal was install > enable and that's it. Holy moly is safari fast now

Sean

Banned
So what am I supposed to do about updating apps on iPad? I can update on my phone but not on my tablet. Which is the one I actually want to update so I can use split screen.

How the fuck did this slip through?

This happened to me too earlier today, but the other way around (could only update on my iPad and nothing was showing on my iPhone). It fixes itself eventually, just have to wait a bit.

Floex

I don't see why not? It supports slide over on my Air 2, and the mini 2 should support slide over... check you updated the app.

Invest in Weblock, it blocks all ads over wifi, in every app. It uses the proxy mechanism, though it doesn't actually pass your traffic through a proxy. Instead it instructs your device to check against a list of blocked addresses.

Cheers. Because of the AppStore issues tonight, the update weirded out. Deleted, reinstalled, now works

Lol. Crystal alone radically speeds up browsing. Your idea of donating and paying because it's worth it is great. But it's laughable to act like Crystal is trash or that waiting to see what a consensus is before paying is a dumb thing to do.

I will definitely donate to Crystal if I keep using it or buy another.

Afrodium

Banned
Can you no longer swipe to the left to go back to the previous webpage in Safari because of this new app sidebar thing?

Miyahon

Updated my iPhone 5S to iOS 9 and I have odd stutters when using it. When I swipe right to view my second home screen the screen pauses then stutters.

It also happens when I go from an app to the home screen it was sometimes stutter through the animation.

Didn't have this issue on iOS 8. Anyone else experiencing this issue with an iPhone 5S?

I've noticed this only happens when I wake my phone from sleep and use it.

After that point it will work but those stutters will come back once my phone goes back to sleep.

Restarted the iPhone to see if that would help but it doesn't.

Lima

Lol. Crystal alone radically speeds up browsing. Your idea of donating and paying because it's worth it is great. But it's laughable to act like Crystal is trash or that waiting to see what a consensus is before paying is a dumb thing to do.

I will definitely donate to Crystal if I keep using it or buy another.

A content blocker without whitelisting which is one of the most basic functions is trash yeah. It doesn't even matter if the guy wants to update it with it. It should be there now. He had months of beta testing the app and still hasn't included it.

By the way I don't even use Purify myself. I use Blockr which is .99 I think. Still when all is said and done Crystal will be pretty much at the bottom of any list.

ShowDog

Entering year 3 of Reminders notes being completely broken. I guess it's time to give up hope.

The few times I've relied on reminders over the years they have completely failed me. Sorry to hear they will suck, as that would be a great feature if executed properly.

madmook

Updated my iPhone 5S to iOS 9 and I have odd stutters when using it. When I swipe right to view my second home screen the screen pauses then stutters.

It also happens when I go from an app to the home screen it was sometimes stutter through the animation.

Didn't have this issue on iOS 8. Anyone else experiencing this issue with an iPhone 5S?

I've noticed this only happens when I wake my phone from sleep and use it.

After that point it will work but those stutters will come back once my phone goes back to sleep.

Restarted the iPhone to see if that would help but it doesn't.
Give it a little time, it's doing stuff in the background. My iPhone 5s and iPad Air 2 are both fine after giving them time to finish indexing. At first the stutters on my Air 2 had me worried.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour

xAUAiib.jpg

Crystal is working well for me. ^_^

So on my iPhone the App Store sees that there are updates I need to download but won't, and on my iPad the App Store doesn't even see any updates for apps that I know are out of date (like Hulu)

Vyer

For some reason I love the app update rush after a new OS release

This is the one I'm gonna go with I think.

Yeah, I like Overcast quite a bit, I'll think I'll try it out too.

So on my iPhone the App Store sees that there are updates I need to download but won't, and on my iPad the App Store doesn't even see any updates for apps that I know are out of date (like Hulu)

I just had to reboot my iPad and they started popping up.

Top Bottom