• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

I'd use iCloud for photos and backups, but I'm a crazy privacy lunatic, and I don't trust my backups to the cloud that aren't encrypted on my end with my own password/key. iCloud for me is basically a way to quickly sync completely innocuous documents and various iOS app settings. As a result, I don't know what I'd do with more than the 5GB of iCloud space (to which 4.9 is currently not being used by me). I know people who swear by it for photos, but that just isn't for me.

Edit: Oh, no, I'm on the top of the page. Umm.... while I have good placement, does anyone know if the new Safari webview controller or whatever can be written in Objective C or is it Swift only? I want to upgrade my homemade NeoGAF app to be iOS 9 compliant.

sdornan

Anyone using the News app much? I like the idea of it but not sure if it'll gain traction. At the very least, it's way better than Newsstand.

I'd use iCloud for photos and backups, but I'm a crazy privacy lunatic, and I don't trust my backups to the cloud that aren't encrypted on my end with my own password/key. iCloud for me is basically a way to quickly sync completely innocuous documents and various iOS app settings. As a result, I don't know what I'd do with more than the 5GB of iCloud space (to which 4.9 is currently not being used by me). I know people who swear by it for photos, but that just isn't for me.

Edit: Oh, no, I'm on the top of the page. Umm.... while I have good placement, does anyone know if the new Safari webview controller or whatever can be written in Objective C or is it Swift only? I want to upgrade my homemade NeoGAF app to be iOS 9 compliant.

Just turn on 2-factor authentication. Problem solved. No clue for your top-of-the-page edit.

Anyone using the News app much? I like the idea of it but not sure if it'll gain traction. At the very least, it's way better than Newsstand.

I never used News app during the beta. Basically, I just want a better up-to-date RSS reader like Reeder (shame he doesn't update it much anymore, because the Fever support for it is bad. He's working on Reeder 3 for the Mac, but it seems largely the same as previous versions).

sdornan

I totally understand where you're coming from, but man does it making getting a new iOS device convenient when you can just put in your credentials and restore everything from your previous device. The only entity that can access your data is you and Apple. And I trust Apple more than most other tech companies when it comes to privacy.

I never used News app during the beta. Basically, I just want a better up-to-date RSS reader like Reeder (shame he doesn't update it much anymore, because the Fever support for it is bad. He's working on Reeder 3 for the Mac, but it seems largely the same as previous versions).

Yeah. Basically I want Reeder + Nuzzel + Safari Reading List (and maybe intelligently finding news stories from your email too).

cjp

Thought about putting it on the App Store or release the source so we can all get in on that native app goodness?

R.E: encryption keys. Was it confirmed they could decrypt iMessages? AFAIK it remained speciation?

sdornan

Wi-Fi Assist is amazing. Was getting in the car, still connected to my Wi-Fi but not close enough for a good signal and still was able to pull data down. Usually I have to do the Wi-Fi on/off toggle dance.

Anno

I like it, but I seem to be in the minority of people I talk to who enjoy RSS readers. If nothing else I like to be able to open it up quickly and browse the headlines, even if I only stop to read one or two full stories.

Iolo

Thought about putting it on the App Store or release the source so we can all get in on that native app goodness?

R.E: encryption keys. Was it confirmed they could decrypt iMessages? AFAIK it remained speciation?

They can decrypt iMessages if you sync them to iCloud, because they can decrypt your backups in response to a court order. If not in iCloud, they can't decrypt them. (Note this means neither party can sync messages to iCloud of course.)

Honestly, it's not that amazing. I tried asking a mod a long long while ago but never heard back. Basically, it is an app that had a badge icon that updates the number of unread PMs or unread subscribed threads (so, like right now I have 2 unread subscribed threads, so it shows a 2, and I can get an alert when I get a PM). It also has a bookmarklet built in that lets me tap it and open all the new subscribed posts in tabs. That bookmarklet is this code:

Code:
javascript:var%20SITE%20=%20location.host;if(SITE==%22www.neogaf.com%22)%7B%09var%20arr%20=%20%5B%5D,%20l%20=%20document.links;%09for(var%20i=0;%20i%3Cl.length;%20i++)%20%7B%09%09if(l%5Bi%5D.href.indexOf(%22newpost%22)%20!==%20-1)%09%09%09arr.push(l%5Bi%5D.href);%09%7D%09%09%09for(var%20i=0;%20i%3Carr.length;%20i++)%7B%09%09window.open(arr%5Bi%5D);%09%7D%7Dif(SITE==%22m.neogaf.com%22)%7B%09var%20arr%20=%20%5B%5D,%20l%20=%20document.getElementsByClassName(%22listItem%22);%09for(var%20i=0;%20i%3Cl.length;%20i++)%20%7B%09%09if(l%5Bi%5D.className.indexOf(%22read%22)%20==%20-1)%09%09%09arr.push(l%5Bi%5D);%09%7D%09%09for(var%20i=0;%20i%3Carr.length;%20i++)%7B%09%09window.open(arr%5Bi%5D.getElementsByClassName(%22listItemArrow%22).item(0));%09%7D%7D

There's nothing really "native" about it.

They can decrypt iMessages if you sync them to iCloud, because they can decrypt your backups in response to a court order. If not in iCloud, they can't decrypt them. (Note this means neither party can sync messages to iCloud of course.)

Yeah, the iCloud backups are the weak link in all of it. I know I'm in the real small minority, but since I can decrypt my iTunes backups on my computer with my own private password that Apple never gets, I wish they could do the same for iCloud backups, like how Crashplan and Backblaze have features that let you back up with your own private keys/phrases that they never get and prevent them (not by policy, but in actuality) from decrypting them under ANY circumstance.

samn

Have you tried Mr Reader? I liked it. It replaced Google Reader for me, and it didn't try to be too 'intelligent' or magaziney like Flipboard or Feedly.

MIMIC

Banned
The new page you get after right swiping the main page (Siri suggestions, news, nearby gas stations, etc.) is really cool.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
What's the GAF endorsed content blocker?

CPI419qUEAA71C7.png:large

Ambitious

There's also 1Blocker. I'm not gonna try it right now because I'm going to bed, but just look at this:

screen322x572.jpeg

Very nice. There's a free trial. $2.99 to unlock unlimited blockers.

Xenoflare

Okay, I'm probably trying to do a clean install.

My 6 runs slower and somehow the animations are all gone. I didn't touch anything about reduced motion, there is no transition between screens at all l. Wtf

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
So is it safe to update my iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2, or should I wait for the first update?
I don't know about the phone as of now, but if there's a device you should update to iOS 9 it's the iPad Air 2. The tweaks and new features are ace and it's running like butter on it.

Sean

Banned
Crystal, Purity, and (the one I'm using) Peace. Those are the three at the top of the conversations right now.

I feel like Crystal is only in the conversation because it was free for a limited time and also the first available content blocker, and so that's what most people have tried. It's the slowest, ugliest/least polished, and lacks any type of whitelisting at the moment.

Now that it's a paid app I don't see the point of Crystal. If you're going to pay for an app, it should be either Peace or Purify.

Okay, I'm probably trying to do a clean install.

My 6 runs slower and somehow the animations are all gone. I didn't touch anything about reduced motion, there is no transition between screens at all l. Wtf

If the animations are gone, did you turn on low power mode? Once I did that the animations stopped, even though reduce motion wasn't checked.

Agent_J

Hey guys I just signed up for more iCloud storage and I'm trying to upload my photos but it's been saying "Uploading 1,728 items" since yesterday. How can I speed up the process? I turned on "Optimize iPhone storage", is that helping or hurting?

Guess Who

Banned
Since I haven't seen an OT for this, I'll ask here. Anyone here pick up an iPad mini 4? How's the screen, finally on par with the Airs? How does split-screen run?

okno

Updated today on a 5s and its runny super smooth and snappy for me. No lag, no stutter, and GAF loads faster than ever. Loving the new features. And the lowercase font. I've had some issues with autocorrect not auto-capitalizing or auto-correct accurately, but nothing terrible.

okno

I'm also noticing my phone doesn get nearly as hot while charging and doesn't get hot while playing very graphic intensive games. A+!

Xenoflare

If the animations are gone, did you turn on low power mode? Once I did that the animations stopped, even though reduce motion wasn't checked.

No, the animation stopped spontaneously, I didn't touch anything and suddenly all transitions are gone.

My OTA isn't the smoothest, the download process took over 14 hours and I tried to restart about 3 times because it's just not moving at all. The phone is pretty messy throughout the day. The spotlight bar would overlap with the notification bar on top

Plus the multitask window is some nasty stuff, it stutters a lot when there are multiple apps opened, I think it's the motionblur of the tabs that's messing it up

I already loaded up the IPSW of iOS 9 and see if this helps. Currently redownloading some of my bigger games and stuff.

It's weird seeing people with 5s saying it's running great since 6 is supposed to be more powerful, that or iOS 8 for 5s was really bad.

Is there a straightforward way to watch YouTube videos with PIP on an iPad?

When a YouTube video is embedded in a mobile gaf post, I can watch it in PIP no problem, but it looks like the YouTube app doesn't support PIP.

If I point safari to YouTube.com it gives me the option to open the YouTube app or cancel. Maybe if I uninstall the YouTube app I can watch videos in safari and use PIP that way? Is there a way to force safari to go to youtube.com and ignore the app?

boxter432

No, the animation stopped spontaneously, I didn't touch anything and suddenly all transitions are gone.

My OTA isn't the smoothest, the download process took over 14 hours and I tried to restart about 3 times because it's just not moving at all. The phone is pretty messy throughout the day. The spotlight bar would overlap with the notification bar on top

Plus the multitask window is some nasty stuff, it stutters a lot when there are multiple apps opened, I think it's the motionblur of the tabs that's messing it up

I already loaded up the IPSW of iOS 9 and see if this helps. Currently redownloading some of my bigger games and stuff.

It's weird seeing people with 5s saying it's running great since 6 is supposed to be more powerful, that or iOS 8 for 5s was really bad.
multitasking? maybe your iphone 6 somehow downloaded the ipad version haha.

Top Bottom