• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Xenoflare

multitasking? maybe your iphone 6 somehow downloaded the ipad version haha.

Well, I meant the app switching screen. Seriously it's totally form over function, even if it's just tailored to force touch on 6S

I really dig the new font though, at least there is one positive.

boxter432

Well, I meant the app switching screen. Seriously it's totally form over function, even if it's just tailored to force touch on 6S

I really dig the new font though, at least there is one positive.

i know, i was just joking. yeah I don't like the screen, I much preferred the whole app/screen showing, not in "blade-like" form.

Xenoflare

i know, i was just joking. yeah I don't like the screen, I much preferred the whole app/screen showing, not in "blade-like" form.

Oh I know you are, this update wasn't anything I expected so I'm just jaded haha.

So far the restore seem to do the trick? Or it could be placebo. I'm turning it off for now since it went all out installing those apps.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ok, my roommates phone is having serious issues.
It's constantly freezing and lagging like crazy. I thought she was exaggerating but I played around with it for a while and she's right. The screen just will not respond and takes 15-20 seconds to respond got the home button randomly.

I guess I'll try a restore to 9.0, but that's what I did to upgrade her from 8 originally.
Phone is a 6.

I thought there was supposed to be an option to turn off the vibration on your alarms when phone is on silent? Or am I just not finding it?

Edit: never mind, found it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
is there any reason why the adblocker isn't available on 32 bit phones besides them wanting you to upgrade?

Xenoflare

Ok, my roommates phone is having serious issues.
It's constantly freezing and lagging like crazy. I thought she was exaggerating but I played around with it for a while and she's right. The screen just will not respond and takes 15-20 seconds to respond got the home button randomly.

I guess I'll try a restore to 9.0, but that's what I did to upgrade her from 8 originally.
Phone is a 6.

As much as I hate to suggest this but maybe convince her to do a clean install with the IPSW file? Technically it just doesn't make any sense to me on how a "clean install" is better than an OTA but I guess it's better than a laggy phone.

Don't try to download via iTunes if you are on windows, the speed is abysmal

http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-9-download-links-for-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-ipsw-links/

I used the link above and I got it under 8 minutes, the installation process is pretty quick too.

Just wondering, did her update took a long time to download as well?

is there any reason why the adblocker isn't available on 32 bit phones besides them wanting you to upgrade?

Apple trying to phase out the 32 bit devices it seems, which kinda concerns me since iPhone 6 and 5S are very similar in terms of performance, meaning when 5s goes 6 will die along with it.

Lima

Apple trying to phase out the 32 bit devices it seems, which kinda concerns me since iPhone 6 and 5S are very similar in terms of performance, meaning when 5s goes 6 will die along with it.

Both are 64 bit. I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Sean

Banned
Is there a straightforward way to watch YouTube videos with PIP on an iPad?

When a YouTube video is embedded in a mobile gaf post, I can watch it in PIP no problem, but it looks like the YouTube app doesn't support PIP.

If I point safari to YouTube.com it gives me the option to open the YouTube app or cancel. Maybe if I uninstall the YouTube app I can watch videos in safari and use PIP that way? Is there a way to force safari to go to youtube.com and ignore the app?

There's a third party app called YouPlayer that supports PIP. Probably easier to just use that in the meantime until the official one is updated.

Apath

This is probably the best iOS update I've experienced yet thus far. It's like someone actually used the iPhone for a while and decided to fix everything wrong with it. Ad blocking fixes the obnoxious app store redirect issue, you can go back to what you were doing with one button after going through a link or notification, you are asked if you'd like to open the YouTube app when hitting a link, and wallet is available from the lock screen so you can actually use it to pay as quickly or quicker than a normal wallet+cc.

Seriously, adblock + "Back to Mail"/"Back to Safari" is fantastic.

A+ job, Apple.

Xenoflare

Both are 64 bit. I don't understand what you are trying to say.

No, I meant that the inevitable performance drop and obsolescence that would happen to the devices, sorry looking back it was confusing.

Edit: Uhhh, my app store app shows that I have 1 app to update but I have nothing to update, resetting is not working.

SURGEdude

Getting some random input lag on a 6+. Nothing terrible, but I'm hopeful it's addressed. And yes I did a full restore so it isn't anything upgrade related. Filed a bug report as well.

Future

I see nothing but praise from people with the 5s, but seeing lots of random issues with the 6 plus :/. Feel I'm just gonna wait it out a bit

Performance and battery life are much better.

Wow.

I'm on a 5S.

Same here. Truly amazing!

Battery life improvement on the older devices like 5S was seriously undersold in reviews like Ars Technica's. They were pretty much "eh, you'll get some more battery life I guess". But for me it's easily doubled.

5 1/2 hours of active use, 17 hours of standby, and I'm still at 30% on a 2-year-old phone with the same battery as the day I bought it. I'm really impressed.

RedShift

Is there a straightforward way to watch YouTube videos with PIP on an iPad?

When a YouTube video is embedded in a mobile gaf post, I can watch it in PIP no problem, but it looks like the YouTube app doesn't support PIP.

If I point safari to YouTube.com it gives me the option to open the YouTube app or cancel. Maybe if I uninstall the YouTube app I can watch videos in safari and use PIP that way? Is there a way to force safari to go to youtube.com and ignore the app?

If you uninstall the app and use safari you'll get a html5 player that won't let you PiP right now. But if you use this bookmarklet, hitting it on a YouTube vid will take you to a embedded, PiPable version

Code:
javascript:document.location%20%3D%20'http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fembed%2F'%20%2B%20document.location.href.match(%2F%5B%26%3F%5Dv%3D(%5B%5E%26%23%5D*)%2Fi)%5B1%5D%0A%0A

Alternatively, download YouPlayer or some other YouTube player app that supports PiP already.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
iOS9 makes me want an iPad Pro. I only have an iPad Air and a true multitask display is so tempting.

If Adobe could announce raw editing support for Lightroom, I'd buy the pro in a second.

Kysen

Does any adblock app/extension work in chrome? I refuse to use Safari as it doesn't sync to Windows. I am also not interested in used some random 3rd party browser.

Edit: Uhhh, my app store app shows that I have 1 app to update but I have nothing to update, resetting is not working.

I had this problem and solved it by deleting an app and reinstalling it. I guess starting the download made the Update page work properly.

I see nothing but praise from people with the 5s, but seeing lots of random issues with the 6 plus :/. Feel I'm just gonna wait it out a bit

No issues on my 6+ other than Update apps glitching, but not a big deal and easily fixed. iOS 9 has been incredible otherwise. No more page refreshes is fantastic, and I don't even have any ad-blockers installed.

I've been having issues downloading Order and Chaos 2.

First the download didn't complete and just ate my battery completely so I erased it.

Now upon a restart of my device, I tried downloading again only for the app to not show up anywhere... but within the App Store I can see that it is downloading.

Has something like this happened to anyone else?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It syncs to Windows if you use the iCloud Control Panel.
Yeah... I find most iOS Chrome users didn't get the memo about ios7+ that it syncs to various desktop browsers across platforms, and that mobile Safari now has all the functionality (infinite tabs, etc) and is basically superior.

I was dedicated to IOS Chrome on ios6 and less, but that was a long time ago.

Xenoflare

I had this problem and solved it by deleting an app and reinstalling it. I guess starting the download made the Update page work properly.

No issues on my 6+ other than Update apps glitching, but not a big deal and easily fixed. iOS 9 has been incredible otherwise. No more page refreshes is fantastic, and I don't even have any ad-blockers installed.

Any app would work?

Ninja Dom

New built in text short cut. Type in aapl to get the  logo.

So far for me, great update on both my devices. I'm on an iPad 4th gen and iPhone 6. Great speed, I like how Safari is holding more tabs before refreshing, better GIF handling, Siri is superb, increased storage space after installation (I recovered 4GB back on my iPad). Shame my iPad doesn't get ad-blocking and Slide Over (64 bit chip required). My iPhone 6 is doing well so far too.

I'm interested in hearing opinions from iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and iPad 3rd gen users.

Number45

My second favourite thing about iOS 9 is... the new battery widget. I doubt anyone else even cares about this feature. I always used to toggle battery percentage off when the battery was green (100%-21%) / on when red (1-20%). Now I can just quickly look at the widget for % when the battery's red. Happy days.
Where is this widget?

Is there any way to customize the apps that appear on the split view sidebar? Seems like just random stuff there and I can't find the option to change them in the settings. I'm on an iPad Air 2.

jediyoshi

First impressions

Like the font
Don't like the new app switching screen
Podcast app looks way more cluttered
Using control center to scrub through audio is nice
News app seems alright

Sean

Banned
Is there any way to customize the apps that appear on the split view sidebar? Seems like just random stuff there and I can't find the option to change them in the settings.

It only shows apps that have been updated for iOS 9 multi-task/split view there.

Kysen

Yeah... I find most iOS Chrome users didn't get the memo about ios7+ that it syncs to various desktop browsers across platforms, and that mobile Safari now has all the functionality (infinite tabs, etc) and is basically superior.

I was dedicated to IOS Chrome on ios6 and less, but that was a long time ago.

Wait what, damn. Gonna try this out. If it syncs my browsing history and all my folder/tabs/bookmarks then I will switch.

It only shows apps that have been updated for iOS 9 multi-task/split view there.

Oh OK. So there's no way to re-order or remove any of them yet? I like it but there's a lot of crap I don't use cluttering the bar, like the stock gaming app, etc. And they're ordered randomly-- doesn't seem like I can drag anything around unless I'm missing something.

If you uninstall the app and use safari you'll get a html5 player that won't let you PiP right now. But if you use this bookmarklet, hitting it on a YouTube vid will take you to a embedded, PiPable version

Code:
javascript:document.location%20%3D%20'http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fembed%2F'%20%2B%20document.location.href.match(%2F%5B%26%3F%5Dv%3D(%5B%5E%26%23%5D*)%2Fi)%5B1%5D%0A%0A

Alternatively, download YouPlayer or some other YouTube player app that supports PiP already.

Cool, that is kind of what I was looking for. I think I'll try the YouPlayer app first, though.

kharma45

Anyone had the issue where you launch an app and the screen just goes black? It'll work though if you go back out and try again. It's just launching fresh that's causing it, and its both system apps and third party.

Munin

iPhone 6 here and I can't install it. After accepting T&Cs it says "Verifying" and after a while "iOS 9 cannot be installed".

Any ideas?

FerranMG

the battery notification shows up when im using my bluetooth headphones

My second favourite thing about iOS 9 is... the new battery widget. I doubt anyone else even cares about this feature. I always used to toggle battery percentage off when the battery was green (100%-21%) / on when red (1-20%). Now I can just quickly look at the widget for % when the battery's red. Happy days.

Not just apple watch but any bluetooth accessory that gives its battery percentage, like headphones or speakers.

Do you guys have a paired Apple Watch?
I don't, and I can't find a way to get the battery widget to appear, even when I have my bluetooth headphones connected.

Do you guys have a paired Apple Watch?
I don't, and I can't find a way to get the battery widget to appear, even when I have my bluetooth headphones connected.

I don't have an apple watch, but I have bluetooth earbuds that will display in the battery widget.

it's important to note that the battery widget does not show up unless you have an accessory that works with the bluetooth battery info. Also, not all bluetooth headphones (older, cheaper, etc) don't have this feature. So, if you only have the iPhone and nothing with bluetooth, you will not see the battery widget.

Top Bottom