• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Fliesen

I don't have an apple watch, but I have bluetooth earbuds that will display in the battery widget.

it's important to note that the battery widget does not show up unless you have an accessory that works with the bluetooth battery info. Also, not all bluetooth headphones (older, cheaper, etc) don't have this feature. So, if you only have the iPhone and nothing with bluetooth, you will not see the battery widget.

as it'd be super pointless.

it kinda still is, when you only have your AppleWatch and your phone.
The main appeal is for headphones or speakers that do not have a battery indicator by themselves (apart from maybe an LED light that goes red at 10% or so)

mrkgoo

Have they changed the way iCloud Shared Photos persist in iOS9?

In iOS 8 I had a bunch if albums as Shared iCloud Photos. Once downloaded they stayed there no matter what happened.

but in iOS9, I will download the hi-res images, but it seems the will get deleted either after a certain time, or after a restart or soemthing, as I sometimes come back and it has cleared all the hi-res images and I recover the space.

This will get annoying as it uses cellular data when I'm not aware.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I just use the app 'Vidgets' for the same thing, it also does a whole lot more.

foto18-09-15115409t8brn.png

Ninja Dom

Do you guys have a paired Apple Watch?
I don't, and I can't find a way to get the battery widget to appear, even when I have my bluetooth headphones connected.

Yes I have an Apple Watch paired and so the battery widget was there instantly without configuration.

NekoFever

Purify seems to be doing a better job of removing overlays and things than Peace. Can't say anything about speed without being subjective. These things are going to get better with time but I already have three of them installed.

FerranMG

I don't have an apple watch, but I have bluetooth earbuds that will display in the battery widget.

it's important to note that the battery widget does not show up unless you have an accessory that works with the bluetooth battery info. Also, not all bluetooth headphones (older, cheaper, etc) don't have this feature. So, if you only have the iPhone and nothing with bluetooth, you will not see the battery widget.

Well, maybe my bluetooth headphones don't support this for whatever reason.
All I can say is it doesn't work for me at all.

Eklesp

I'm having no issues on my iPhone 6. This is as close to a perfect release as I've seen in years.

Yeah it feels really great.

I have been trying to us the news app but so many articles are missing. I think the For You section is just recommendations based on stuff you follow. If I look at a specific site in news though, a lot less articles are showing up than in my RSS reader. Maybe Flipboard does the same thing, recommendations and not literally, "here are the articles from that site."

Number45

Find my Friends is by far the creepiest stalker device ever.
It's not like the ability for people to find you is on by default, it's a conscious decision you need to make to enable it and you have to share it with specific people. And it's great when you have a daughter that likes to forget her phones...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Have they changed the way iCloud Shared Photos persist in iOS9?

In iOS 8 I had a bunch if albums as Shared iCloud Photos. Once downloaded they stayed there no matter what happened.

but in iOS9, I will download the hi-res images, but it seems the will get deleted either after a certain time, or after a restart or soemthing, as I sometimes come back and it has cleared all the hi-res images and I recover the space.

This will get annoying as it uses cellular data when I'm not aware.
With the setting turned on in settings, this is how the behavior has been since iCloud Photos came out of beta. To keep photos stored on your device no matter what now, you have to heart or favorite them.

Esiquio

I really really like the updated Podcast app

How do you...never mind. As I write this post, I figured it out. Not sure if this is normal, but the forward 15 and minus 15 second buttons do NOT show up on my screen, but if you click on the empty space where they should be, it does it anyways. Anyone else had this issue?

I have a ton of nitpicks with this iOS, but I'll just start there. To be honest, I think something is wrong with my phone. Things have never opened quickly, and apps crash all the time. Does anybody else have constant problems with Reminders crashing? Like, all the time?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So you need a dev account and a source code which you compile, right? You can't just download someone else's ipa file?

Dev accounts are free these days for this purpose. But yes you need the non-compiled source that you then yourself compile and sign to your Apple ID in Xcode.
IPAs are already compiled and won't work, otherwise piracy would be an open book through Apple directly.

FerranMG

There's a content blocker called Silentium that looks really good, and I've heard no one talk about it.
Has anybody tried it?
Silentium

It's 1.99.

The only content blocker that is free (with IAP to unlock more features) is 1Blocker.

mrkgoo

With the setting turned on in settings, this is how the behavior has been since iCloud Photos came out of beta. To keep photos stored on your device no matter what now, you have to heart or favorite them.

I don't have iCloud Photo Library enabled. This is just for iCloud shared photos and it didn't use to do this

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Welp, that makes the decision for which Content Blocker to use easier when I get my 6S. It'll either be Crystal or Purify.

muteki

I see the always-horrible-never-mentioned Podcasts app got an update.

Other than that and the fact that changing languages on my keyboard doesn't take 10 seconds I haven't noticed much else, but everything feels snappier on my 6+.

Also hating how the apps look on the phone multitasking screen. The previous solution gave you an unobstructed view of the whole app, now half hidden behind adjacent apps.

ZeroX03

Banned
He mentions how to get a refund twice, so I don't think it was about a quick money grab. It's just strange

Judging by the benchmarks it's Purify at the top. But as we found out, thinks can shake up quickly. And they're all just a few dollars anyway.

HUELEN10

Everyone, get purify.

Fuck. I like Purify so much, I'll give you a copy if you wasted money on a lesser content blocker! First to post a purchased tab App Store screenshot showing your last purchases with Peace on there gets a USA iTunes Store copy of Purify on the house.

I'm guessing Gruber and his comments on The Deck got to him. That, or the fact that so many of his friends run websites that rely on ads.

Doubtful. This is the second time he's wrote a big scathing blog post only to back pedal the moment the backlash got too intense.

He mentions how to get a refund twice, so I don't think it was about a quick money grab. It's just strange

Judging by the benchmarks it's Purify at the top. But as we found out, thinks can shake up quickly. And they're all just a few dollars anyway.

Refunds through apple are never guaranteed.

So he pulls it but says download thr desktop alternative and provided links to competitors. Why not just leave it and let it die out

Looks like he was either pressured or this was all a PR move by him to be thr Manchurian candidate and hint to people that content blocking is wrong

samn

So he pulls it but says download thr desktop alternative and provided links to competitors. Why not just leave it and let it die out

Huh? If he stops working on it, it would be a betrayal of trust to leave it on the store and to not encourage users to ask for refunds.

I'm not going to request a refund for Peace, and I still planning on using it until it stops working. I've always been a big fan of Marco's "opinionated software" approach and I think Ghostery is the best blocking solution there is. I hope they can work out a deal with another iOS developer to incorporate their database in a content blocker.

I bet the other content blocker guys are giddy.

lol well then good thing I didn't get Peace was so close to telling friends to pull the trigger on it too.

Edit: On the plus side, I never knew about Ghostery until now. Thats pretty damn cool. Downloaded.

I'm going to download this now I hope this doesn't screw up.

Mm.. Maybe I should wait.

why the wait? seems like a great update overall. much needed optimizations.

Top Bottom