• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

kaskade

I was thinking of getting Purify anyway since the speeds seem to be even better with it. Peace seems pretty good but if there isn't going to be further support I'm getting a refund.

And this isn't ?

He clearly states how to get a refund if you purchased it. I would say it would be a betrayal if he pulled it, didn't offer refunds, and didn't communicate with the community. I think he actually has gone above and beyond what a lot of devs would in the same situation by explaining his rationale, apologizing, and offering refunds.

samn

And this isn't ?

Seeing as he's encouraging people to go collect their refunds, it's less a betrayal and more an inconvenience.

In any event, if you decide not to get a refund the app works well, has a decent featureset and continues to pull from Ghostery's database.

He clearly states how to get a refund if you purchased it. I would say it would be a betrayal if he pulled it, didn't offer refunds, and didn't communicate with the community. I think he actually has gone above and beyond what a lot of devs would in the same situation by explaining his rationale, apologizing, and offering refunds.

It's a Manchurian app. Make app with funds for a not so complicated app like an adblocker plus extension, pull it , give refunds. I don't think he ever intended to keep it . He knows the mobile is the future and mobile ad free is bad for his friends business. The article is a pure move suggesting competitors but heavily asking users to think that to think like him , that ad blocking is bad for people

It's a Manchurian app. Make app with funds for a not so complicated app like an adblocker plus extension, pull it , give refunds. I don't think he ever intended to keep it . He knows the mobile is the future and mobile ad free is bad for his friends business. The article is a pure move suggesting competitors but heavily asking users to think that to think like him , that ad blocking is bad for people

Marco did 9/11

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
cChOHqh.jpg

Th....thanks!

samn

Maybe Larry Page is secretly CEO of Ghostery!

samn

Marco has a lot of friends in the technical publishing industry especially journalists . Future is mobile browsing not desktop. He pulled it because he thinks these apps hurt his friends careers and business

I don't doubt that, but you accused him of making the app with the intention of pulling it as part of some dastardly scheme.

Marco has a lot of friends in the technical publishing industry especially journalists . Future is mobile browsing not desktop. He pulled it because he thinks these apps hurt his friends careers and business

Yes. He said as much in the blog post. But suggesting that he planned on doing it before he even released the app is asinine.

Two ways

Either horribly impulsive as a developer

Or what I said

Or a human being with a conscience and relationships that he values more than his app with people who's potential livelihood was going to be hurt by his app.

I don't see what the point would be in making the app and specifically planning to pull it later while still acknowledging that ad blocking is necessary and recommending other ad blockers on iOS.

Yeah... I find most iOS Chrome users didn't get the memo about ios7+ that it syncs to various desktop browsers across platforms, and that mobile Safari now has all the functionality (infinite tabs, etc) and is basically superior.

I was dedicated to IOS Chrome on ios6 and less, but that was a long time ago.

Does this also sync your browsing history and recent tabs? This is the main reason I haven't switched away from Chrome.

I also prefer Chrome's multi-tab management. Also, long pressing towards the right edge of the screen (ie. to open the last page of a GAF thread in a new window) is also hit or miss in Safari and triggers the back gesture more times than not, but I never have this issue in Chrome.

I will say browsing Safari with Crystal is pretty nice so far and might force me to finally bite the bullet.

Or a human being with a conscience and relationships that he values more than his app with people who's potential livelihood was going to be hurt by his app.

I don't see what the point would be in making the app and specifically planning to pull it later while still acknowledging that ad blocking is necessary and recommending other ad blockers on iOS.

Read this

Peace required that all ads be treated the same — all-or-nothing enforcement for decisions that aren’t black and white. This approach is too blunt, and Ghostery and I have both decided that it doesn’t serve our goals or beliefs well enough. If we’re going to effect positive change overall, a more nuanced, complex approach is required than what I can bring in a simple iOS app.

So he says he couldn't match ghostery functionality where he himself admits the peace app was a simple iOS app. I find that hard to believe that if you are charging $2 that you can't match ghostery functionality

There was a website tutorial yesterday where it showed users how to make a simple content blocker in 10 minutes

The verge obviously has an article for it already framing it Marci's way

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/18/9353023/marco-arment-peace-ad-blocker-withdrawn

The Verge has been an utter joke for some time now, and their hysterics about ad blockers somehow are so over the top that it's been hard to garner sympathy.

The Verge has been hanging on to my RSS feed by a thread lately. Their "content" is barely tolerable as it is.

Go serve up more articles about what happened at the MTV VMAs. Go write more Apple Watch "reviews" filmed like advertisements.

HUELEN10

You know what? I'm gonna make my own Content Blocker, With blackjack and hookers.

It will be a semi-auto blocker only automatically being enabled on sites notorious for shitty adds, auto-white listed for everything else, with a 1-button add to blacklist in the safari action sheet. The app itself will have ads, (not that you would regularly open the app itself or nothing), and you can pay 99 cents to remove them. A widget will be Availible for 1-touch toggles, and it would be free with donationware IAPs just to say thanks in case you wanna buy me a pizza.

Would Sleazy-Off be a good name?

I'm loving iOS 9 now. My iPad mini and iPhone 6 are running so nicely it's like they're brand new. I only wish Spotify had sidebar support. That would be perfection for me.

Oh and transit map support for Boston. I'm sticking with Google Maps for now.

mrkgoo

You know what? I'm gonna make my own Content Blocker, With blackjack and hookers.

It will be a semi-auto blocker only automatically being enabled on sites notorious for shitty adds, auto-white listed for everything else, with a 1-button add to blacklist in the safari action sheet. The app itself will have ads, (not that you would regularly open the app itself or nothing), and you can pay 99 cents to remove them. A widget will be Availible for 1-touch toggles, and it would be free with donationware IAPs just to say thanks in case you wanna buy me a pizza.

Would Sleazy-Off be a good name?

It makes nec wonder if you could make an ad blocker actually detect and replace content with your own ads.

Purify was already the better app in terms of speed and re-formatting pages correctly anyways. There really wasn't any reason to buy Peace other than it being insignificantly cheaper.

Guess Who

Banned
No it isn't, and Apple Music, should you choose to become a member, is amazing.

Why don't you like it?

Apple Music is garbage. I'm still having to clean up the mess their shitty matching system made of my iTunes library since it matched songs completely wrong and somehow managed to delete local copies of my songs from my Mac.

Everyone, get purify.

Fuck. I like Purify so much, I'll give you a copy if you wasted money on a lesser content blocker! First to post a purchased tab App Store screenshot showing your last purchases with Peace on there gets a USA iTunes Store copy of Purify on the house.

Did seriously no one take you up on this? I thought I'd be too late

llcUBXY.jpg

tmdorsey

If you just want basic tech news and headlines, I'd recommend Engadget.

For deeper stories and reviews, Ars technica and anandtech. These sites have always been better than the verge, imo

Good deal I knew about these sites, but finally have added them to Flipboard.

SuperPac

Definitely a shame that Marco pulled Peace. But I get it. Not gonna ask for a refund, cuz I still use and love Overcast on a daily basis.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
My iPhone 5 has the 9.0 GM installed and I just got a software update. It just says version 9 is available and it's already downloaded (taking up storage).

okno

No it isn't, and Apple Music, should you choose to become a member, is amazing.

Why don't you like it?

I'm sure Apple Music is great, but it is absurd to remove the ability to browse by album, genre or song. To only be able to view by recently added and artist is extremely silly. So far as I can tell, the only way to get around this is to make playlists and that's just stupid.

On the plus side, it looks much better now. It's just counterintuitive to how I've used the app since the 3Gs.

Top Bottom