• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

I'm sure Apple Music is great, but it is absurd to remove the ability to browse by album, genre or song. To only be able to view by recently added and artist is extremely silly. So far as I can tell, the only way to get around this is to make playlists and that's just stupid.

On the plus side, it looks much better now. It's just counterintuitive to how I've used the app since the 3Gs.

You can still browse by all that. Click the banner that says "Artist"

Ulzj6dq.jpg

Yes I just added a lot of Lily Allen. Sue me.

I can't believe the battery life in getting out of my 6 now. I have always turned off Backround Refresh and always reduced animations. I'm getting more than an hour more of battery and that's a conservative estimate with the small sample size.

Xenoflare

I need someone to explain this whole "indexing" to me. Right now it's the response to lags and stutters to a lot of people.

How is the laggy task switcher related to that?

...mother of god

This is on a 2 year old 5S with a battery that is just as old. At least 600-700 full charge cycles.

What the hell voodoo magic did Apple do to the battery consumption on iOS 9??

Its weird cause my "Time since last full charge" hardly ever shows up. Its always blank. And i do a full charge everytime.

kaskade

I noticed my reception was a little off with my 6. LTE would drop a little more frequently it seemed like. I have no idea if it would solve it but there was just a verizon carrier update.

Its weird cause my "Time since last full charge" hardly ever shows up. Its always blank. And i do a full charge everytime.

That's weird.

But yeah, it's not an error. I actually did actively use the phone for 6 hours and left it on standby for nearly 24 and still had 10% battery left. I used to have to recharge the same phone after like 2.5 hours of active use.

Anyone try playing Ghost Trick with iOS 9?

I'm playing through it now and don't want to upgrade before knowing if it still works (it was broken for a LONG time on iOS 8).

I asked in the iOS gaming thread, but apparently the game isn't on the App Store anymore, so I'm hoping someone on here still has it installed and can check.

So I went to the Apple Store and realized only the 6+ lags in the app switcher. The regular 6 moves so smoothly. Fuck, the 6+ is such a crappy product. If it weren't for the battery life, no one should ever get it over the 6.

So I went to the Apple Store and realized only the 6+ lags in the app switcher. The regular 6 moves so smoothly. Fuck, the 6+ is such a crappy product. If it weren't for the battery life, no one should ever get it over the 6.

I've got a 6+ and haven't seen any lag in the app switcher. I just opened and I have like 40 apps in there and it's smooth. Idk, maybe I've just been lucky but I've had iPhones since the 3g and the 6+ is by far my favorite.

I've got a 6+ and haven't seen any lag in the app switcher. I just opened and I have like 40 apps in there and it's smooth. Idk, maybe I've just been lucky but I've had iPhones since the 3g and the 6+ is by far my favorite.

Scrolling to the home screen card and entering it is so laggy. Shit looks like it's moving at 10 FPS. It's immediately noticeable if you compare it to a regular iPhone 6

I'm playing through it now and don't want to upgrade before knowing if it still works (it was broken for a LONG time on iOS 8).

I asked in the iOS gaming thread, but apparently the game isn't on the App Store anymore, so I'm hoping someone on here still has it installed and can check.

Loaded it up on my 5S running 9.1 Beta 1, loaded my save, advanced a little, saved, force quit and loaded the save, seems to be working fine. I have no idea where I am in the story though lol, I shouldn't have forgotten about finishing this.

Scrolling to the home screen card and entering it is so laggy. Shit looks like it's moving at 10 FPS. It's immediately noticeable if you compare it to a regular iPhone 6

I believe you, just saying that it isn't a problem that I have personally encountered. I've played with my 6+ next to normal 6 since 9 came out (although I basically skipped 9 and went to the 9.1 beta on my 6+ which people who have used both have said that 9.1 is snappier than 9), and I didn't notice any difference in animations between my 6+ and the normal 6. I only tested the app switcher and rotation to landscape and back though.

epmode

Still broken. Capcom patched Ghost Trick with iOS 8 support a few months ago but they fucked up the patch and the game wouldn't allow you to buy any chapters beyond the two free ones. Even if you had already purchased the rest of the game (like me), you'd get an error if you tried to restore your purchase.

Now the game has been fully delisted. Capcom: "Fuck it"

Glad I still have the DS version I guess.

In related news, mobile gaming is a pile. This sort of thing has happened to me a few times already.

Im on 6+ and yeah the app switcher sucks. Its choppy and sometimes it wont even register my swipes.

NekoFever

I can't believe the battery life in getting out of my 6 now. I have always turned off Backround Refresh and always reduced animations. I'm getting more than an hour more of battery and that's a conservative estimate with the small sample size.
It's definitely better for me too. I'm usually hitting the 10% warning by this time of night but I haven't even got as low as 20% yet. And I've been fiddling a lot, what with the new iOS excitement.

This is why I'm interested in seeing reviews of the 6S+. Man, these names are starting to sound like Samsung phones or something.

Diablos

Not sure how I'm feeling about the San Francisco font. I wish I could change it back.

Also where's my fucking dark theme already?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

That's a good question. I uninstalled it long ago (Still backed up on my Mac in iTunes) because it didn't work anymore. Did they fix it completely yet?

Not sure how I'm feeling about the San Francisco font. I wish I could change it back.
You get used to it. Now I can't imagine iOS or OS X without it.

Also where's my fucking dark theme already?
I know. I want a dark theme that takes over entirely on OS X and iOS. Especially iOS.

Red

...mother of god

This is on a 2 year old 5S with a battery that is just as old. At least 600-700 full charge cycles.

That's cool. My 5S was down to 17% after five hours of standby, on battery saver mode. Don't know if it's due to iOS 9 or the battery itself going to shit.

I just charged it to 40% not even an hour ago. But then, my battery has been erratic for a while now.

Majine

Banned
Was there a way smaller rush from 3rd party devs to the new APIs this time around than last year?

You'd think more of them would jump the spotlight search bandwagon.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I can't roll my eyes harder at peace getting pulled.

Feeling real real cynical about that. That's bullshit.

mollipen

No it isn't, and Apple Music, should you choose to become a member, is amazing.

Why don't you like it?

When I went to "music" on my iPhone before, the bottom row of icons related to what was on my phone: Songs, Artists, Playlists, Albums, etc., all customizable by me. Now I've only got "My Music" and "Playlists", then "Radio" which I don't want there, then "Connect" which I sure as hell don't want there.

How do I get back to a music app that's for my music?

Edit: Hah! And if I tell it that I don't care about music in my library that's not on my phone, it puts a notice of that at the top that's not going away. This thing is horrible.

When I went to "music" on my iPhone before, the bottom row of icons related to what was on my phone: Songs, Artists, Playlists, Albums, etc., all customizable by me. Now I've only got "My Music" and "Playlists", then "Radio" which I don't want there, then "Connect" which I sure as hell don't want there.

How do I get back to a music app that's for my music?

Edit: Hah! And if I tell it that I don't care about music in my library that's not on my phone, it puts a notice of that at the top that's not going away. This thing is horrible.

If you go into restrictions and turn off Connect, that button will turn into a Playlists button, which is the firs thing I did

If you push "My Music" you'll get access to all the Songs, Artists, Albums sorting you did before, check my post at the top of this page

Diablos

You get used to it. Now I can't imagine iOS or OS X without it.
How hard is it to give us the choice though? One of my pet peeves about Apple. I won't lie, I really admire the simplicity of iOS though.

I know. I want a dark theme that takes over entirely on OS X and iOS. Especially iOS.
There's just no excuse. iOS 9 is a huge improvement and this would have been the most ideal time to introduce a dark theme, so I'm thinking it will never happen now -- which is just so stupid.

NekoFever

Can I still recover my health data from iCloud if I downgrade from 9 to 8.4.1?
I'm not sure your health data gets backed up to iCloud at all, for privacy reasons. iTunes suggests that an encrypted backup via iTunes is the only way to back up and restore that.

Xenoflare

I'm not sure your health data gets backed up to iCloud at all, for privacy reasons. iTunes suggests that an encrypted backup via iTunes is the only way to back up and restore that.

But this shows up under my iCloud backup toggle

"Automatically back up data such as your photo library, accounts, documents, Health data, Home configuration, and settings when this iPhone is plugged in, locked, and connected to Wi-Fi. Learn more."

I really should chose to back up manually, my backup right now is already overwritten by iOS 9

mantidor

I thought this was about the io9 site until I saw the number of pages lol

I'll update my iPad when I get home, it's for iPad as well, right?

edit: wait this thread was necrobumped, sorry, ignore.

I have a 64gb 6+ and the app switcher loads fast, swipes between apps super fast and closes cards super fast. I have no idea what you're talking about, even in the slightest. Don't even "kind of see it." It's fast and fluid.

You seem to hate the 6+ but sorry to break it to you, it's a great product and this lag doesn't exist, at least not universally.

NekoFever

But this shows up under my iCloud backup toggle

"Automatically back up data such as your photo library, accounts, documents, Health data, Home configuration, and settings when this iPhone is plugged in, locked, and connected to Wi-Fi. Learn more."

I really should chose to back up manually, my backup right now is already overwritten by iOS 9
Sorry, you're right. I misread it. It's saying your health data is only backed up in iTunes if you opt to turn on encryption for your backups.

rezuth

I have a 64gb 6+ and the app switcher loads fast, swipes between apps super fast and closes cards super fast. I have no idea what you're talking about, even in the slightest. Don't even "kind of see it." It's fast and fluid.

You seem to hate the 6+ but sorry to break it to you, it's a great product and this lag doesn't exist, at least not universally.

I have a slight lag on my 6 Plus when it hits the Home Screen at the front but I do have like 200+ apps installed.

Servbot24

Banned
...mother of god

I'm at 4 hours of usage, 34.5 hours of standby, with 45% battery remaining. iPhone 6.

Zing

Banned
I have Crystal, Peace, and Purify. I did testing with each and found Purify to be the best. It handles "white space" properly (gaps left by blocked ads) and doesn't seem to block legit content on any sites so far, so I feel I can trust that I am not missing anything. For example, the Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer is broken on Crystal and Peace, but not Purify.

I also suggest Purify.

HowZatOZ

Banned
This is seriously annoying me. So everytime I turn on an application's mobile data it is consistently being turned off once I exit the settings. Can not figure out why and hopefully others have figured it out because it's basically made my phone non-functional.

iOS 9 is a piece of crap on my iPhone 6 Plus for some reason. I updated from the GM and then did the small 42 MB OTA update last Wednesday. First is that there's obvious lagging from time to time. This is mostly because the 6 Plus in underpowered and I'm guessing iOS 9 couldn't fix a hardware issue.

Second, some settings won't stick and the major one for me is iCloud Music Library. Yesterday I finally got around to actually wanting to put my playlists offline. So I check them out and they're non-existent. They're there, but there's no songs on it. I'm thinking Apple Music is such a fucking buggy mess and I don't want to want to deal with it anymore. I check my settings, and for some reason it's off. Turn it back on, go back to the Music app, and nothing. Go back to the settings and it's off for some reason. Turn it back on, go back to the Music app, nothing again. It's off, it wont turn on for some reason.

Third, the App Store and iTunes Store is experiencing some weird bugs for me. For some reason, sometimes the App Store won't load, or I'll check an App and go to its page, and nothing is loading but the image of the App icon and the sections, but no content or description. Go back a page and return, and something goes missing. Same thing happens when I check out and Album or a Movie on the iTunes store. It's fucking annoying.

Finally, when I open up an app and it's loading, the splashcreen looks like it's missing a section right smack in the middle and it looks like it cuts off. This doesn't affect the App as far as I'm aware, but it's starting to get on my nerves because it's obvious that something isn't right.

Anyone else experiencing these issues? I had already done a fresh install of the iOS 9 GM, so I know it's not that.

Garuda1One

I cant help but to noticed that milisecond delay when opening an apps.. i never been this... Crazy.. Before.. What have i becomee!!

Xenoflare

Sorry, you're right. I misread it. It's saying your health data is only backed up in iTunes if you opt to turn on encryption for your backups.

My problem is that would iCloud still restore my personal stuff if I downgraded since the backup is made in iOS 9. From what I can gather the answer is no

A friend of mine has a problem with his iPhone 6 and I figured I'd just ask about it in here.

He purchased an album on his phone but two songs didn't download. So he deleted what did download and went to re-download the album and this time he got one of those two songs to download. He went back to do the same thing, but now he's not able to get the album anymore. In the iTunes store app on the phone it shows as "purchased" but when you go to the actual purchased section where you can re-download stuff, it's not listed. I did a Google search about it and all of the solutions I found required iTunes on a computer and he doesn't have access to one.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Top Bottom