• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Zing

Banned
Anyone else experiencing these issues? I had already done a fresh install of the iOS 9 GM, so I know it's not that.
I have not experienced any issues this time, but I did have the iCloud music library problem with 8.4 or whenever they released it. Basically, the servers were overloaded at the time. A couple days later I tried again and it worked.

mollipen

If you go into restrictions and turn off Connect, that button will turn into a Playlists button, which is the firs thing I did

If you push "My Music" you'll get access to all the Songs, Artists, Albums sorting you did before, check my post at the top of this page

Actually, no—it's just the first thing you remove from that bar will turn into Playlists. I turned off the little heart option whatever it was because I don't care at all about Apple Music, and that turned into Playlists. If I then do what you recommend, I just end up with three icons instead of four, gaining me nothing.

And yeah, I know I can still get all of those lists that way, but how things worked previously was so much better for me. Far easier to know just to hit a button at the bottom of the screen, instead of find an option that's gone if I've done any scrolling at all.

And then there's "Recently Added" taking up space when I don't want it and can't find how to turn it off.

TxdoHawk

I'm on a 6+ running the 9.1 beta, and the only thing I have noticed is very occasional bouts of keyboard lag. I'm very tolerant to this sort of stuff though, so I am probably just not noticing things.

Xenoflare

In the end I just completely wiped my phone and reinstalled 8.4.1

That confirms it, iOS 9 lagged my phone down for quite a bit, I'm staying on it for the time being. right now feels half baked. There was delays on app launch, spotlight, and keyboard.

Seriously, I thought iOS 9 is about stability? That's completely the opposite according to my experience. It lags and has some crazy bugs that made me think it's anything but stable.

Or it could be Apple's passive aggressive way to push people to buy the 6S.

8.4.1 runs without any hiccups at all and apps launch instantly when I press them, the app switcher is extremely smooth.

Kintaco

I got my iPhone a couple weeks ago and read that you could make Google Maps the default app. I don't see this option, didn't try it before updating the os so no idea if it was the before. Is this feature gone?

Red

That confirms it, iOS 9 lagged my phone down for quite a bit, I'm staying on it for the time being. right now feels half baked. There was delays on app launch, spotlight, and keyboard.

Seriously, I thought iOS 9 is about stability? That's completely the opposite according to my experience. It lags and has some crazy bugs that made me think it's anything but stable.

8.4.1 runs without any hiccups at all and apps launch instantly when I press them, the app switcher is extremely smooth.
It runs like a dream on my 5S. Improved over iOS 8 in many ways.

Erebus

I got my iPhone a couple weeks ago and read that you could make Google Maps the default app. I don't see this option, didn't try it before updating the os so no idea if it was the before. Is this feature gone?
You cannot set default apps on iOS.

Xenoflare

It runs like a dream on my 5S. Improved over iOS 8 in many ways.

Maybe it's because iOS 8 ran like ass on the 5S, I only have a 6 so I don't know about the other devices.

Seriously, iOS 9 on my iPhone 6 ran like a unstable build of an Android Rom, reminds me of my galaxy nexus in a bad way.

Oh yes, I'm quite over the top right now, but after going back to 8.4.1 I cannot believe how much the performance improved. Minus all the oddities that requires reboots on my 6 while in iOS 9, be it OTA or iTunes restore.

LordAmused

iOS 9 doesn't work very nicely on my Iphone 6+. It lags when I open up different apps like FB, Snapchat and such.

Going to install BETA 9.1. Will report back.

Lima

Maybe it's because iOS 8 ran like ass on the 5S, I only have a 6 so I don't know about the other devices.

Seriously, iOS 9 on my iPhone 6 ran like a unstable build of an Android Rom, reminds me of my galaxy nexus in a bad way.

Oh yes, I'm quite over the top right now, but after going back to 8.4.1 I cannot believe how much the performance improved. Minus all the oddities that requires reboots on my 6 while in iOS 9, be it OTA or iTunes restore.

It is a definite improvement over 8 on the 6 too. Something went wrong with your update.

Vyer

I think it confirms something went wrong with your phone/update, honestly. i've put it on a 6 and an Air2 and both are rather stable.

Xenoflare

It is a definite improvement over 8 on the 6 too. Something went wrong with your update.

Really...? I'm very sorry if I sound rude but there are a lot of cases reporting in on how 6 suffers from stutters and app launch delays that makes iOS 9 inferior to 8.4.1. for the time being.

My first update was from an OTA that took way too long to download.

My second update was from an IPSW install and an iCloud recovery.

I'll probably try to install iOS 9 completely fresh but currently I think there are more cons than pros as of now.

I don't understand how the update can go wrong when the device still booted.

Erebus

It boggles my mind how people with the same phone and the same version of iOS can have such different experiences.

ZeroX03

Banned
The only lag my 6 Plus gets is from the pull down search menu. And that seems to be just a glitch, the search menu from the left is perfectly fine and has the news to boot.

Zing

Banned
Both my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 had clean installs of iOS 9 and are running fine. No stuttering or lag. Apps start fast, switch fast, and Spotlight etc are all fine.

I don't normally perform a new install, but I had a long standing issue with phantom keyboard shortcuts that would delete and be resurrected. I did a lot of testing and research about this issue and it is related to a deprecated config file still being read, but no longer written to. Only way to fix is to set up as new or use a third party tool to browse and delete specific files from the OS.

VeeP

Really...? I'm very sorry if I sound rude but there are a lot of cases reporting in on how 6 suffers from stutters and app launch delays that makes iOS 9 inferior to 8.4.1. for the time being.

My first update was from an OTA that took way too long to download.

My second update was from an IPSW install and an iCloud recovery.

I'll probably try to install iOS 9 completely fresh but currently I think there are more cons than pros as of now.

I don't understand how the update can go wrong when the device still booted.

I have a 6 myself, but iOS 9 seems fine? Pretty much on par with iOS 8. Definitely try a fresh install, see what happens.

Xenoflare

I have a 6 myself, but iOS 9 seems fine? Pretty much on par with iOS 8. Definitely try a fresh install, see what happens.

It seems like for people who share my complaints encountered the same problems in lesser degree for a fresh install. I'd rather wait for subsequent iOS 9 releases.

I've only had the phone for around 2 months, was blown away by the performance and I would like to keep it that way.

Glad everything is working out for people who's not having a laggy iPhone 6 on iOS 9, but the past two days have been terrible for me.

Vyer

It seems like for people who share my complaints encountered the same problems in lesser degree for a fresh install. I'd rather wait for subsequent iOS 9 releases.

I've only had the phone for around 2 months, was blown away by the performance and I would like to keep it that way.

Glad everything is working out for people who's not having a laggy iPhone 6 on iOS 9, but the past two days have been terrible for me.

When you updated the first time, was it a standard OTA in Settings? You said it was taking an very long time, is that right?

Every update you then did a restore from backup? What about when you did the downgrade, are you still working with your backup?

Had a weird bug on my Spotlight Search:

oFhA0jK.png
eAO9SFv.png

Resetting the phone fixed it though.

Xenoflare

Had a weird bug on my Spotlight Search:

Resetting the phone fixed it though.

Yep, had this as well, sometimes the spotlight search box would over lap with the clock and battery indicator.

When you updated the first time, was it a standard OTA in Settings? You said it was taking an very long time, is that right?

Every update you then did a restore from backup? What about when you did the downgrade, are you still working with your backup?

The OTA took a very long time to download but the installation itself was pretty quick. The download lasted more than 14 hours.

Mhmm, the iOS 9 OTA popped up again and now it's 1.1GB instead of 1.0. Weird

My phone came with 8.1 and I updated to 8.4 and then 8.4.1 via OTA with no problems at all.

Vyer

Yep, had this as well, sometimes the spotlight search box would over lap with the clock and battery indicator.

The OTA took a very long time to download but the installation itself was pretty quick. The download lasted more than 14 hours.

Mhmm, the iOS 9 OTA popped up again and now it's 1.1GB instead of 1.0. Weird

My phone came with 8.1 and I updated to 8.4 and then 8.4.1 via OTA with no problems at all.

man...14 hours! My download and install was like 45 minutes to an hour at most. That alone seems odd and probably a sign that something got screwed up. Wish I could think of something to help, other than going through the update again and see if it works any better. I would probably even just do an reload and install as new, but I know that people don't like to do that and redownload apps and lose game saves and such. but yeah, that's really strange.

neshcom

Banned
Having a lot of trouble with notifications. The biggest issue is that it's not playing any notification sounds at random. Missing tweets, emails, Slacks. Really frustrating and restarts haven't done anything. Would love to not have to reset my phone.

HUELEN10

Having a lot of trouble with notifications. The biggest issue is that it's not playing any notification sounds at random. Missing tweets, emails, Slacks. Really frustrating and restarts haven't done anything. Would love to not have to reset my phone.

Unfortunately, the best course of action would be doing a full backup, and formatting with a full non-delta copy of the latest iOS 9 from iTunes, and then mounting your backup to it.

Not painful at all, just time consuming. Depending on what you got, it could take hours. Usually things take about 3 hours for me.

neshcom

Banned
Unfortunately, the best course of action would be doing a full backup, and formatting with a full non-delate copy of the latest iOS 9 from iTunes, and then mounting your backup to it.

Not painful at all, just time consuming. Depending on what you got, it could take hours. Usually things take about 3 hours for me.
Ah boo. Will backing up on my computer keep my app data? Also, what's a "non-delate" iOS? Just the update info from iTunes on desktop?

HUELEN10

Ah boo. Will backing up on my computer keep my app data? Also, what's a "non-delate" iOS? Just the update info from iTunes on desktop?

I meant non-delta as in backing up your phone through iTunes, erasing it, DFUing the sucker, and then installing a fresh copy of the OS from the appropriate ipsw, and then restoring your backup.

Goldenhen

How did you install it on the phone? iTunes? Fresh? Over the air on the iPhone

I have a 6 plus and scared of the negative posts

I installed over the air upgrade and I have no problem with my iPhone 6 Plus. Just reset your iPhone after the upgrade to iOS 9.

iOS 9 is a piece of crap on my iPhone 6 Plus for some reason. I updated from the GM and then did the small 42 MB OTA update last Wednesday. First is that there's obvious lagging from time to time. This is mostly because the 6 Plus in underpowered and I'm guessing iOS 9 couldn't fix a hardware issue.

Second, some settings won't stick and the major one for me is iCloud Music Library. Yesterday I finally got around to actually wanting to put my playlists offline. So I check them out and they're non-existent. They're there, but there's no songs on it. I'm thinking Apple Music is such a fucking buggy mess and I don't want to want to deal with it anymore. I check my settings, and for some reason it's off. Turn it back on, go back to the Music app, and nothing. Go back to the settings and it's off for some reason. Turn it back on, go back to the Music app, nothing again. It's off, it wont turn on for some reason.

Third, the App Store and iTunes Store is experiencing some weird bugs for me. For some reason, sometimes the App Store won't load, or I'll check an App and go to its page, and nothing is loading but the image of the App icon and the sections, but no content or description. Go back a page and return, and something goes missing. Same thing happens when I check out and Album or a Movie on the iTunes store. It's fucking annoying.

Finally, when I open up an app and it's loading, the splashcreen looks like it's missing a section right smack in the middle and it looks like it cuts off. This doesn't affect the App as far as I'm aware, but it's starting to get on my nerves because it's obvious that something isn't right.

Anyone else experiencing these issues? I had already done a fresh install of the iOS 9 GM, so I know it's not that.

It's crap for me on my 6 Plus as well. Lags in between opening/closing apps, and I get a 1-2 second black screen in between loading apps.

It's atrocious and I hate it so far.

Xenoflare

How do I do that?

Do you have an old back up?

If not.... then google "Redmond pie downgrade iOS 9 to 8.4.1" and go from there, please take note that you may lose personal data like game saves, text messages, health data etc. Since restoring back up of a newer version of iOS to an older one is tricky and doesn't always work.

I lost my pictures and text messages, but I don't care about either of them.

Carton

It's crap for me on my 6 Plus as well. Lags in between opening/closing apps, and I get a 1-2 second black screen in between loading apps.

It's atrocious and I hate it so far.

Yikes. Mine is definitely a step down in performance, but not that bad. Where previously i'd get an occasional stutter/jitter, i'm now getting frequent stutter with animations; even the animation of a sent message in imessage is not smooth. Furthermore, whilst playing games i'm getting some occasional slowdown i never experience before -- i'm not sure if it's because the game hasn't been updated or iOS is playing up.

ZeroX03

Banned
Any way to get rid of that annoying "show all music" notice in the Music app? I only want to show offline music for a reason. There's no point pushing your music service on me if it doesn't have any music I like, Apple. The app was perfect prior to it's introduction.

HUELEN10

Any way to get rid of that annoying "show all music" notice in the Music app? I only want to show offline music for a reason. There's no point pushing your music service on me if it doesn't have any music I like, Apple. The app was perfect prior to it's introduction.

Good eye! Seems to be a change since the beta. Unfortunately, I can find no recourse. Your best bet would be to use a 3rd party front-end. Now IMO, nothing beats Track 8, but that is no longer Availible for purchase. My current recommendation is Marvis.

Marvis Music Player by Aditya Rajveer
https://appsto.re/us/9L465.i

Free with ads, or remove them for a buck, Marvis is a highly customizable frontend that might just be what you need. I like it so much, that I may feature it in my thread when the time comes, but we'll see if I can't find anything better. Seriously though, give it a try; you might just fall in love!

Xenoflare

Good eye! Seems to be a change since the beta. Unfortunately, I can find no recourse. Your best bet would be to use a 3rd party front-end. Now IMO, nothing beats Track 8, but that is no longer Availible for purchase. My current recommendation is Marvis.

Marvis Music Player by Aditya Rajveer
https://appsto.re/us/9L465.i

Free with ads, or remove them for a buck, Marvis is a highly customizable frontend that might just be what you need. I like it so much, that I may feature it in my thread when the time comes, but we'll see if I can't find anything better. Seriously though, give it a try; you might just fall in love!

Oh god, I remember hearing about this music player and tried my hardest to find it again but can't because I forgot the name. Thank you!

HUELEN10

Oh god, I remember hearing about this music player and tried my hardest to find it again but can't because I forgot the name. Thank you!

No prob! But yeah, it is incredibly slick and customizable, and the price is right. I might want to do a post in the future exclusively about 3rd party players and frontends.

Seriously though, it pains me not being able to just tell people to buy Track 8.

It was the answer to the question "What if Zune HD's interface was tweaked and perfected?" How I miss thee Track 8...

Top Bottom