• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

jelly

I gave it a couple of days on iOS9 on the 5 and it has settled down. Maybe it needed to do some background indexing or whatever. It was pretty bad before but seems much smoother now. Still tempted to go back for the app switcher and nothing of note I can think of that they've added. iOS9 app switcher is the worst, what was the point in changing that.

ZeroX03

Banned
Tried Marvis Music and while some of the customization options were good, it was too visually cluttered for my liking. Bold text. Emphasis on album artwork. Every category starting with a letter. I have five genres of music on my phone and apparently they each need to be separated rather than a continuous single page stream There doesn't seem to be an option to shuffle all tracks within in an album from artist view either, whereas Apple Music had the opposite problem but just fixed it.

Guess I'll just wait and see if Apple fixes up their app.

iOS9 app switcher is the worst, what was the point in changing that.

Apparently it makes a lot more sense when you're using 3D touch to activate it.

samn

I gave it a couple of days on iOS9 on the 5 and it has settled down. Maybe it needed to do some background indexing or whatever. It was pretty bad before but seems much smoother now. Still tempted to go back for the app switcher and nothing of note I can think of that they've added. iOS9 app switcher is the worst, what was the point in changing that.

They changed it for the 3D Touch functionality, which is where it works great.

Minamu

Is it worth upgrading from ios8.something.something to ios9 on an Iphone 5? I still have a sour taste in mouth from going to ios7 I think iirc on my old Iphone 4S performance wise. That phone crawled to a halt basically :/

Diablos

Is it worth upgrading from ios8.something.something to ios9 on an Iphone 5? I still have a sour taste in mouth from going to ios7 I think iirc on my old Iphone 4S performance wise. That phone crawled to a halt basically :/
Using a 5c here, and iOS 9 runs just fine.

Ninja Dom

Using a 5c here, and iOS 9 runs just fine.

And at the top of the page (50 ppp).

I do most of my browsing through Facebook, but the app opens up websites within its own window. Is there an app that will block those ads, or is there a way I can set the Facebook app to use Safari to open links automatically?

Red

Maybe it's because iOS 8 ran like ass on the 5S, I only have a 6 so I don't know about the other devices.

Seriously, iOS 9 on my iPhone 6 ran like a unstable build of an Android Rom, reminds me of my galaxy nexus in a bad way.

Oh yes, I'm quite over the top right now, but after going back to 8.4.1 I cannot believe how much the performance improved. Minus all the oddities that requires reboots on my 6 while in iOS 9, be it OTA or iTunes restore.
iOS8 was fine on the 5s. No lag or stutters. Consistently great performance. iOS9 is the same, with a split second hiccup loading Siri suggestions. Enough to notice but not enough to interfere with the ability to interface with the device.

Even with the hiccup, speed of use is increased because I can usually get what I want through a suggested app instead of a search.

I'm really happy with iOS9. Everything feels snappier and with the "return to" button it is much quicker to navigate around the device. My one complaint is the new app switcher, which is cluttered compared to the last one.

Sifl

I don't keep up to date with the ios updates, but I just got the update around 5 mins ago. So I was going to google to see if I wanted to update, and I noticed that apparently the rest of the world could download this 3 days ago. Why did I just get it now, lol?

Ninja Dom

It's true, there are some rogue iOS 9 installs/updates where the 6 suffers. My pal had bad installs on his 6 & Air 2. After 24 hours he says things are better but not perfect.

I'm on a 6 an tingz are buttery smooth for me on iOS 9.

Ninja Dom

I don't keep up to date with the ios updates, but I just got the update around 5 mins ago. So I was going to google to see if I wanted to update, and I noticed that apparently the rest of the world could download this 3 days ago. Why did I just get it now, lol?

You been on wifi? I don't think Apple pushes out the update notifications immediately to err'body.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I do most of my browsing through Facebook, but the app opens up websites within its own window. Is there an app that will block those ads, or is there a way I can set the Facebook app to use Safari to open links automatically?

If Facebook updates the app to use the new Safari webview controller it should be able to hook into content blockers but otherwise not. That's my understanding anyway.

MajorTom

Anyone have the problem where if you try to unlock using your finger print it opens Siri?
it doesn't happen every time but it happens often enough that I find it annoying.
I'm using a 5s

Running this on an older 5s and a brand new 5s. No lag, generally flawless so far. Battery only dropped like 4 percrent overnight (and i was downloading from iTunes).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
iOS8 was fine on the 5s. No lag or stutters. Consistently great performance. iOS9 is the same, with a split second hiccup loading Siri suggestions. Enough to notice but not enough to interfere with the ability to interface with the device.

Even with the hiccup, speed of use is increased because I can usually get what I want through a suggested app instead of a search.

I'm really happy with iOS9. Everything feels snappier and with the "return to" button it is much quicker to navigate around the device. My one complaint is the new app switcher, which is cluttered compared to the last one.
That hiccup is present even on my iPad Air 2 with the the pull down access to spotlight/Siri suggestions (sliding to the left is smooth though), hopefully it will be fixed in the following update.

Everything else is snappy and great on both of my devices (5S and Air 2), I'm not getting any stuttering or lag anywhere else.

I was on iOS 9.1 Public Beta but downgraded to iOS 9 but it keeps prompting me to upgrade back to iOS 9.1 Public Beta. Anyone know how to get rid of this notification? I already deleted the user profile that signs me up for the betas.

Has anyone gotten some improved battery life? I have seen some actually. I also like battery mode but wish that could be disabled automatically when plugged into a charger.

Also love the new search and siri options. News feed is nice. I like it and it feels a step up and more stable than Android as always.

I usually check twitter and gaf in the morning on the train into work. I had an LG G3 and that was a lovely phone but man did it get a little warm when doing just that. I guess the 2k screen was a bit much idk. But i switch to iphone 6 and the phone runs cooler and more efficient and only drains maybe 5% on the way.

dmshaposv

my 6+ is running like ass. App switching is laggy as hell.

my phone's brightness seems to have changed. it seems dimmer now

anyone else having problems?.

Lexxism

I have Crystal, Peace, and Purify. I did testing with each and found Purify to be the best. It handles "white space" properly (gaps left by blocked ads) and doesn't seem to block legit content on any sites so far, so I feel I can trust that I am not missing anything. For example, the Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer is broken on Crystal and Peace, but not Purify.

I also suggest Purify.
Oh. I just bought Crystal yesterday. Damn, should had went to Purify instead.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Anyone know how to stop the Amazon app from opening up every time you click an Amazon related link in Safari? Never had this issue with 8

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
How do I choose what news is shown in my spotlight home screen? Seems to just be random stories from random local outlets.
It supposedly ties in to Siri and the News app and curates based on your habits there. It surfaces Giant Bomb videos now for me instead of random CNN articles after having browsed GB via the News app a bunch. YMMV.

Has anyone gotten some improved battery life? I have seen some actually. I also like battery mode but wish that could be disabled automatically when plugged into a charger.

Low Power mode actually does turn off automatically if you're charging your phone but only at 80% battery or above, a pop up shows up "...turned off, battery is sufficiently charged."

Haines

Banned
Im so bad at getting full use out of apple product features. Dont think ive ever touched siri.

Downloaded 9 and really havent noticed anything new and exciting. Maybe its bc im on ipad air 1

Yeah the app switcher is laggy as shit on the 6+. It's sad that the app switcher got worse in literally every possible way.

I honestly do not know what is going on at apple.

The OS is getting worse each year.

I thought this year it was all about "under the hood" improvements for a more polished OS on phone.

It is bad enough how long it takes them to release it, always a week before new phone and then put out some laggy shit.

Then all the people are talking about "wait for it to index" WTF.

I love apple but i went back to iOS 8.4.1 before it is too late.

Hope this shit does not run like this on the 6S next week.

Also the app switcher is better in 8.4.1

cjp

So how do I turn on the battery widget without an Apple Watch? I can't seem to get it to show up.

Battery widget

There's a handy new Today widget that can show you the battery levels of your device and any battery-powered accessories connected to your device. This works for accessories like the Apple Watch and Bluetooth speakers, but not for our Apple wireless keyboard. If previous versions of iOS showed you a little battery icon next to the Bluetooth symbol at the top of the screen, the battery level should be visible in this widget now.

and

As for the today view, there aren’t many big changes. The one addition that I did notice is a new battery widget, which shows the battery life of devices connected via Bluetooth. This was obviously added with the Apple Watch in mind, but it also applies to other devices like Bluetooth keyboards, speakers, and headsets. It’s important to keep in mind that your Bluetooth device has to report its battery life to the host device in order for this to work. You’ll know if it does if you’ve ever seen a small battery symbol next to the Bluetooth logo in the status bar when your device was connected. For example, I have a Plantronics and a Creative headset here that do show up in the battery widget, but a pair of Sony headphones and an older Creative set that do not.

IMG_0299.PNG

From Ars and Anandtech.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Mine did this even in iOS8 but I think 9 has some more hooks for it.

Delete the app?

Yeah getting rid of it may be the only option for now. I do most of my shopping within the browser, but I like having the app around for a quick check on my orders.

Same, I just reset the phone, deleted everything, set it up as a new iphone, and imported by essential data from icloud and it seems snappy now.

Still has to go into settings and disable all the things I don't need.

It's weird how when you double tap the home button now, the extra programs that are open are laying behind the home screen. whats up with that?

Question: I've been thinking about dropping Spotify in favoring of trying the beats thing. Does anyone know how I subscribe to beats for the first 3-months being free? I cant seem to find out where and how to download the app?

grmlin

So I took the risk and updated my 6+. Everything runs fine so far, but OH MY GOD, why did they remove my favorite and recent contacts from the app switcher. I know there is the new Siri suggestions thing on the homescreen, but thats at least one more klick and a swipe.

:(

Top Bottom