• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Blackhead

Redarse
Weblock

-almost never works on chrome
-only works on IOS8
-only works on wifi

Madlock

-again almost never works on chrome
-makes you install Vpn profiles
-breaks Vpn and security
-works only on IOS 8

lol wut.

8U4KYPG.gif

Juice

Can I change the direction of how the new App Switcher works?

No. I'm certain they switched it because people associate left with the past and apps you previously used should be in the past.

So they probably view the old way as a mistake and they don't have a reason to make it configurable.

Xenoflare

iOS8 was fine on the 5s. No lag or stutters. Consistently great performance. iOS9 is the same, with a split second hiccup loading Siri suggestions. Enough to notice but not enough to interfere with the ability to interface with the device.

Even with the hiccup, speed of use is increased because I can usually get what I want through a suggested app instead of a search.

I'm really happy with iOS9. Everything feels snappier and with the "return to" button it is much quicker to navigate around the device. My one complaint is the new app switcher, which is cluttered compared to the last one.

It's surprising how people's experience differ with iOS 9

iOS 9 has micro stutters for every app I open while they launch instantly on iOS 8 for me. The entire OS just took a hit in fluidity with weird glitches piled on top.

HUELEN10

Tried Marvis Music and while some of the customization options were good, it was too visually cluttered for my liking. Bold text. Emphasis on album artwork. Every category starting with a letter. I have five genres of music on my phone and apparently they each need to be separated rather than a continuous single page stream There doesn't seem to be an option to shuffle all tracks within in an album from artist view either, whereas Apple Music had the opposite problem but just fixed it.

You know, I've just been little miss iPad lately; there might be a non-universal app that could be what you are looking for.

Ecoute - Beautiful Music Player by PixiApps
https://appsto.re/us/D3caG.i

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Siri needs to vibrate when in silent mode. I wonder how the 6s handles this?

mrkgoo

Still suffering from photos deleting hi-res shared photos. Didn't used to do that.

Something that may be brought up here is that ios9 doesn't appear to be syncing apps back to iTunes. I assume this is because of app thinning and those apps may not be full binaries usable on everything.

Thing is does this mean that app-syncing is not separated from iTunes?

What happens if I sync a phone full of apps to a new computer - will it delete all the apps on the phone because The new library doesn't have them?

I never feel like I'm getting the most out of iOS. I've never created a shared iCloud Photo Stream. I've never had a bunch of people in Find My Friends, or really even sent my location in Messages. So many littles bits and pieces to this thing I've never touched, because they're all social components and even my friends with iPhones don't do any of this stuff

Spinifex

I never feel like I'm getting the most out of iOS. I've never created a shared iCloud Photo Stream. I've never had a bunch of people in Find My Friends, or really even sent my location in Messages. So many littles bits and pieces to this thing I've never touched, because they're all social components and even my friends with iPhones don't do any of this stuff

I feel the same way. AirDrop is another one of those features I feel doesn't get enough use. I personally feel it could use a bit more polish and smarter integration.

I feel the same way. AirDrop is another one of those features I feel doesn't get enough use. I personally feel it could use a bit more polish and smarter integration.

AirDrop I actually love for sending little files between my phone and my Mac

I've had one friend airdrop his contact card to me instead of just giving me his number like a normal person. That was pretty cool

Xenoflare

Why not use Safari? Chrome is hot garbage on iOS.

A lack of close all tab option that is accessible is the deal breaker for me

No, private mode is not a good workaround, nor clearing all browser data.

The reader view is a fantastic feature though.

Ninja Dom

Ah that's a shame. Me and my friends and me and my girlfriend are iPhone exclusive. We use all those features.

iCloud Photo Stream is great when you go out on nights and days out and holidays. Create a shared album and everybody just drops their pics in there. We did this on our recent holiday to New York and it was so convenient to have access to everybody's photos.

Find My Friends especially for when you're meeting friends and you want to see where they are.

Remember, Airdrop is the only way to share 60fps videos. Any other method (iMessage, email, iCloud Photo Sharing etc), compresses the videos down to 30fps. So we use Airdrop a lot because I LOVE 60fps video that the iPhone 6 takes.

Remember, Airdrop is the only way to share 60fps videos. Any other method (iMessage, email, iCloud Photo Sharing etc), compresses the videos down to 30fps. So we use Airdrop a lot because I LOVE 60fps video that the iPhone 6 takes.

iMessage also compresses it down in resolution as well. So a 1080p60 video becomes 720p30

Luckily iCloud Photo Library backs everything up in full resolution and frame rate, so even if the method of sharing compresses it, I'll always have the full resolution original

ZeroX03

Banned

Well you can always just plug into a PC via USB and get the raw file and email it that way. Nice uncompressed 60fps/120fps/240fps file. And they drastically improved the file structure of the DCIM folder with iOS9 to make navigating it easier. But it adds a different step and requires a PC on hand, so Airdrop is still better where available.

Appleman

Performance is godawful for me when pulling down an iMessage notification to quick-reply. Anyone else with this issue? Lags the whole phone up

So the iCloud Drive app in iOS9 is looking kind of useless, since there's no way to upload something to the drive from your phone, unless I'm missing something stupidly obvious

Like if I want to upload a photo to a folder, or save an attachment I get in an email to my Drive, it doesn't seem like I can

Guess Who

Banned
So the iCloud Drive app in iOS9 is looking kind of useless, since there's no way to upload something to the drive from your phone, unless I'm missing something stupidly obvious

Like if I want to upload a photo to a folder, or save an attachment I get in an email to my Drive, it doesn't seem like I can

You can save attachments in emails to iCloud Drive, but you have to do that from the Mail app.

Basically file uploads still have to be done via apps.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yep you can hold down on an attachment and press the save button to save to iCloud. No idea on how to upload specific photos to iCloud though. Would be nice to know how.

empyrean

Hopefully someone may be able to help. Got a Macbook Pro, iPad and iPhone, for some reason iPhone is one one iCloud account and the other two devices are on another.

I want to change my iPhone to use the same iCloud account used by my iPhone and Macbook Pro.

if i just signout of my iCloud account on my iPhone and sign in with the other account will it keep all the photos, contacts etc on my phone and then just upload them on to the 'new' signed in iCloud account or will it remove all the photos etc as they aren't associated with the new iCloud account?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yep you can hold down on an attachment and press the save button to save to iCloud. No idea on how to upload specific photos to iCloud though. Would be nice to know how.

I think since photos are managed in the iCloud Photo Library separately already they didn't include the functionality to save photos from the camera or albums to the Drive directly as that would effectively just double up on space usage.

You can save attachments in emails to iCloud Drive, but you have to do that from the Mail app.

Basically file uploads still have to be done via apps.

Aha! There it is. I was checking the share sheet like a normal person

Thanks guys

mrkgoo

It occurs to me that iOS9 may not be compatible with iTunes 11.4 (last iTunes for Snow Leopard).

This means that those who upgrade to iOS9, but use Snow Leopard are kinda left hanging.

PreFire

Just updated my iPad 3. Font looks cool.. But apps aren't opening as snappy as before.

Let's see how my iPhone deals with it. Rebooting atm

Garou

It occurs to me that iOS9 may not be compatible with iTunes 11.4 (last iTunes for Snow Leopard).

This means that those who upgrade to iOS9, but use Snow Leopard are kinda left hanging.

While that's too bad for Snow Leopard users, the OS is already over 6 years old and almost every Mac that can run SL can also run Lion. I think it had a good run.

Edit: Ah, damn, the latest iTunes actually requires Mountain Lion, so there are actually quite some old Macs out there that are out of luck.

ZeroX03

Banned
I think since photos are managed in the iCloud Photo Library separately already they didn't include the functionality to save photos from the camera or albums to the Drive directly as that would effectively just double up on space usage.

Yeah but if you use iCloud Photo Library don't you have to sync all photos? I would be interested in syncing some photos, but certainly not all of them.

Yeah but if you use iCloud Photo Library don't you have to sync all photos? I would be interested in syncing some photos, but certainly not all of them.

Yeah the point of iCloud Photo Library is that all your devices share that one library, every photo goes in. You could use just iCloud Drive storage with its folders though, if you wanted to have a cloud backup of your stuff if you wanted to be selective and have the option of seeing your entire collection on your devices, just without the automatic syncing

Vyer

Hopefully someone may be able to help. Got a Macbook Pro, iPad and iPhone, for some reason iPhone is one one iCloud account and the other two devices are on another.

I want to change my iPhone to use the same iCloud account used by my iPhone and Macbook Pro.

if i just signout of my iCloud account on my iPhone and sign in with the other account will it keep all the photos, contacts etc on my phone and then just upload them on to the 'new' signed in iCloud account or will it remove all the photos etc as they aren't associated with the new iCloud account?

That's an interesting question. I would imagine since you'd just be signing in and out in Settings that you could carry over. Though I personally would prefer setting up the phone with the correct ID at the get go, it should be able to transfer.

You may be better suited backing them up in your computer and/or using I standalone cloud service before trying it though.

When you sign out of an iCloud account on your phone, it'll ask you if you want to keep all your stuff like contacts on the device or delete them. Keep them on the device. Then when you sign into a new account, it'll ask you if you want to merge the stuff, which you do, because it'll put it on the new account

Or it should work like that, anyway

Honestly iMessage is going to give you the most trouble, if you associated your phone number with the Apple ID you're currently using on that phone

empyrean

Cool, thanks for the info (both of you). I've got an iPhone 6S coming so i could just wait, set that up as a new phone and sign in using the 'correct' iCloud login...only problem would then be transferring the photos, contacts etc over.

Cool, thanks for the info (both of you). I've got an iPhone 6S coming so i could just wait, set that up as a new phone and sign in using the 'correct' iCloud login...only problem would then be transferring the photos, contacts etc over.

Contacts move over by themselves if you have them toggled on in iCloud settings. If you restore from a backup on the new phone your photos come over too

Check out the iCloud settings sometime once you get the account stuff sorted out, it's meant to handle all this stuff

A lack of close all tab option that is accessible is the deal breaker for me

No, private mode is not a good workaround, nor clearing all browser data.

The reader view is a fantastic feature though.

Tab management in general is way better on Chrome. I'm too used to being able to swipe the top of the screen left/right to switch tabs. Is there a gesture for this on Safari? Having to switch to a different view in Safari seems like a step backwards.

Also, the synced browser history and recent tabs between my iOS devices and PC is convenient for me. If I'm reading something interesting on one device, I can continue where I left off somewhere else without having to do anything extra. I know you can sync bookmarks, but that's not the same.

Even though Safari performs a hell of a lot better, especially with ad blocking now, I'm finding it difficult to give up Chrome.

Kinda offtopic but if anyone wants to help that would be great :) I have been holding out buying a iPad and wanted to jump in, expected that the air 2 would have gotten a refresh at the past event, it didnt.. So im kinda torn between waiting oktober for a possible 3 or buying one now, if it doesnt come oktober my bet is they would ride this one out for quit some time... Whats to do gaf? :/

cjp

Kinda offtopic but if anyone wants to help that would be great :) I have been holding out buying a iPad and wanted to jump in, expected that the air 2 would have gotten a refresh at the past event, it didnt.. So im kinda torn between waiting oktober for a possible 3 or buying one now, if it doesnt come oktober my bet is they would ride this one out for quit some time... Whats to do gaf? :/

If they planned on updating the Air 2, I really don't see why they wouldn't have announced it alongside the Mini 4.

Top Bottom