• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

ZeroX03

Banned
Kinda offtopic but if anyone wants to help that would be great :) I have been holding out buying a iPad and wanted to jump in, expected that the air 2 would have gotten a refresh at the past event, it didnt.. So im kinda torn between waiting oktober for a possible 3 or buying one now, if it doesnt come oktober my bet is they would ride this one out for quit some time... Whats to do gaf? :/

Air 2 still performs incredibly with ios9. It's the S model so to speak. Go for it.

Synless

How do I push a page forward from a page I went back on now? I used to slide from the right to the left on Safari, but now that app thing pops up.

Kinda offtopic but if anyone wants to help that would be great :) I have been holding out buying a iPad and wanted to jump in, expected that the air 2 would have gotten a refresh at the past event, it didnt.. So im kinda torn between waiting oktober for a possible 3 or buying one now, if it doesnt come oktober my bet is they would ride this one out for quit some time... Whats to do gaf? :/

They would have announced an Air 3 if there was going to be one this year. Buy an Air 2, it still performs like a beast and you'll be very happy with it

mrkgoo

While that's too bad for Snow Leopard users, the OS is already over 6 years old and almost every Mac that can run SL can also run Lion. I think it had a good run.

Edit: Ah, damn, the latest iTunes actually requires Mountain Lion, so there are actually quite some old Macs out there that are out of luck.

Well I've seen the system requirements for iTunes 12 say both lion and mountain lion. Not sure which is real but I have a friend who says he has iTunes 12.3 and is in lion.

But the thing is couldn't they have warned the user instead of essentially ruining someone's setup? Like just a note that the phone will no longer sync with your computer if you upgrade.

But no, just let the user do it and then find out they can no longer sync their music, calendars, contacts, etc and no official way to actually roll back (once they stop signing iOS 8).

I get moving forward from old systems, I really do, but don't just shut people down AFTER they upgrade, borking their stuff with no way to go back.

Zing

Banned
A lack of close all tab option that is accessible is the deal breaker for me
Now I have heard it all.

If I want to close many tabs quickly, I simply pinch, then swipe them away.

Also, the synced browser history and recent tabs between my iOS devices and PC is convenient for me. If I'm reading something interesting on one device, I can continue where I left off somewhere else without having to do anything extra. I know you can sync bookmarks, but that's not the same.
I honestly can't tell if you are referring to Safari or Chrome, because that is precisely describing a feature Safari has had since iCloud was implemented.

Wait, does Windows Safari not have iCloud support?

zedge

I always had an issue with Safari logging me out of Gaf constantly. Thought maybe iOS 9 would solve that but it still happens. Weird thing is this only happens on my ipad not on my iPhone.

Anyone else have this issue? I use chrome on my ipad to get around it.

So i updated to iOS 9 and then thought it was a laggy mess.

So i went back to 8.4.1 but now want to go back because i want try these ad blockers and what i use the most on my phone is safari.

Zing

Banned
I always had an issue with Safari logging me out of Gaf constantly. Thought maybe iOS 9 would solve that but it still happens. Weird thing is this only happens on my ipad not on my iPhone.

Anyone else have this issue? I use chrome on my ipad to get around it.
I assume you have checked your cookie settings to ensure they are set to allow "from websites I visit". If so, and you are still having problems, try deleting all website data from the Safari settings.

zedge

I assume you have checked your cookie settings to ensure they are set to allow "from websites I visit". If so, and you are still having problems, try deleting all website data from the Safari settings.

Just checked, same on both my iPhone and ipad. "Allow from websites I visit".

I'll try deleting see if that helps.

SJRB

Gold Member
Wow the music player redesign is terrible. I don't want to connect to shit, I don't want to see recommendations, you don't have to use half the screen telling me which albums I just added - I know that because I did it myself. I just want to listen to my music.

"You know what, let's add an additional step people need to take to sort their music on album/artist/etc".

Genius.

Eklesp

I reaaaaalllyyy want to like the News app. It is super fast and looks great, it just does not give me the stuff I want and seems to be missing lots of news posts from specific sites I am following.. Is anybody here using it? Is it working for you?

I reaaaaalllyyy want to like the News app. It is super fast and looks great, it just does not give me the stuff I want and seems to be missing lots of news posts from specific sites I am following.. Is anybody here using it? Is it working for you?

It's a perfectly nice Apple News Format reader and not a very good RSS reader (its index of sites is really bad and the ability to add external RSS feeds to it from Safari is, as far as I can tell, pretty buggy and doesn't work too well).

Mine was randomly showing me posts from 2014. Either that specific RSS was actually sending out old links (which I guess is possible) or something was bugged

Other than that though I'm actually really happy with it

Juice

So i updated to iOS 9 and then thought it was a laggy mess.

So i went back to 8.4.1 but now want to go back because i want try these ad blockers and what i use the most on my phone is safari.

I don't understand the rationale of folks who don't stay on the latest and greatest. Life would be miserable for me if I said "nope this is the good version I'm going to hold back from security updates, wait for my apps to slowly stop working due to compatibility issues, etc, etc.

Maybe if I had a really old device, but I just don't get people who don't upgrade based on taste issues. New thing always has problems and I always get some cool stuff at some cost, but it's not really intended to be optional. I just consume it and deal with it.

Basically Apple News is good for people who get their news from NYT, CNN, et cetera but not for bona fide news nerds or people who follow specialty topics of any sort.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Apple gave up on Safari for Windows literally years ago. Not enough people used it. It's why they instead offer syncing with I.E. and Chrome (Maybe Firefox?) on Windows via iCloud. Not really a big deal. Usually Apples Windows apps are clunky anyway. Plus it keeps the Mac version of Safari from getting behind. Shame they can't drop iTunes for Windows. Maybe the Mac version would stop sucking so much ass.

I wish Apple could just split the Windows and Mac versions of iTunes into separate projects. Hire some Windows UI and coding experts and let them go their own way and keep each app feeling like they should on their respective OS while keeping the core components in place. Maybe then iTunes would stop sucking because it could be recoded as a Mac app instead of a cross platform app.

HUELEN10

You know, sometimes I have to take a step back and realize that most iOS users sync with Windows, not OS X. Still kinda blows my mind, even though it probably shouldn't.

So I'm on 9.1 and I'm experiencing a lot of lag and slowdown. Stuff like app switcher, spotlight, even unlocking my phone sometimes. Another huge issue is when I get texts and I try to reply by swiping down on the notification. Takes forever to dismiss the keyboard.

Should I bother to downgrade to 9.0? People keep telling me there isn't much of a difference between 9.0 and 9.1.

You know, sometimes I have to take a step back and realize that most iOS users sync with Windows, not OS X. Still kinda blows my mind, even though it probably shouldn't.

Honestly, do most iPhone users even sync with a computer at all anymore? I assumed most people had moved to iCloud syncing. I'm not a normal user, but I haven't plugged my iPhone into a computer in years

Apple gave up on Safari for Windows literally years ago. Not enough people used it. It's why they instead offer syncing with I.E. and Chrome (Maybe Firefox?) on Windows via iCloud. Not really a big deal. Usually Apples Windows apps are clunky anyway. Plus it keeps the Mac version of Safari from getting behind. Shame they can't drop iTunes for Windows. Maybe the Mac version would stop sucking so much ass.

I wish Apple could just split the Windows and Mac versions of iTunes into separate projects. Hire some Windows UI and coding experts and let them go their own way and keep each app feeling like they should on their respective OS while keeping the core components in place. Maybe then iTunes would stop sucking because it could be recoded as a Mac app instead of a cross platform app.

Yeah, likewise, but then iTunes for Mac needs to get split into App Store/Videos/Music apps so it can have proper Handoff support, eliminate WebKit views, and generally be a hell of a lot more streamlined and developed in parallel with the iOS equivalents the way that every other app is.

mrkgoo

Honestly, do most iPhone users even sync with a computer at all anymore? I assumed most people had moved to iCloud syncing. I'm not a normal user, but I haven't plugged my iPhone into a computer in years

Aside from Apple Music and downloading music on iTunes, it's the only way to get music onto your phone.

I'm in a bind. Updated an iPhone 5 to ios9, works dandy, but no longer syncs with mac running snow leopard. iTunes 12.3
Doesn't run on snow leopard. Can't roll back to iOS 8.

Aside from Apple Music and downloading music on iTunes, it's the only way to get music onto your phone.

I'm in a bind. Updated an iPhone 5 to ios9, works dandy, but no longer syncs with mac running snow leopard. iTunes 12.3

There's also iTunes Match, but I know that was never a popular solution

So I'm on 9.1 and I'm experiencing a lot of lag and slowdown. Stuff like app switcher, spotlight, even unlocking my phone sometimes. Another huge issue is when I get texts and I try to reply by swiping down on the notification. Takes forever to dismiss the keyboard.

Should I bother to downgrade to 9.0? People keep telling me there isn't much of a difference between 9.0 and 9.1.
Your 9.1 experience sounds like my experience with 9.0. 9.1 PB works nicely on the 6+ for me.

Thanks guys, I will buy a Air 2 this tuesday! My first iDevice since the iPhone 5, finally gonna play some Simpsons Tapped out again :) super excited!

To stay a bit ontopic, dissapointed there is no news app in my country yet with iOS 9. Really excited to see how much this OS has changed since iPhone 5 :)

Eklesp

I just realize what double touching the home button does. Has this always been a thing?

The reach thing? Since iOS8 on 6 and 6+

Basically Apple News is good for people who get their news from NYT, CNN, et cetera but not for bona fide news nerds or people who follow specialty topics of any sort.

Think I will try it as a general news client and keep my RSS reader, maybe it will get better.

randome

Is there any way to have the email app show my emails as soon as I get them? I remember Google removed this function if you weren't grandfathered in or didn't pay. So I used to have it, but instead of updating did a fresh install and it set it up as new and now I no longer have that functionality which kinda sucks. Thanks!

Is there any way to have the email app show my emails as soon as I get them? I remember Google removed this function if you weren't grandfathered in or didn't pay. So I used to have it, but instead of updating did a fresh install and it set it up as new and now I no longer have that functionality which kinda sucks. Thanks!

That's still Google's thing. You can have it set to fetch every 15 minutes, but that's the closest it gets to "as soon as they come in"

The gmail app does it instantly, obviously

Eklesp

After Google stopped supporting push I forwarded my Gmail to my iCloud email and then just used that for push. Then I realized there is nothing coming to my email I really need to know about right away so I just fetch now.

You could try forwarding. Or using a different mail app that supports push.

Dinskugga

damn i do not like the new "switch between apps" when you double tap on home button. its darn awful. The old view was miles better then the new one.

so hard to get right app and hard to get a good overview. and really easy to close wrong app.

solarus

I have an air but the multitasking in the air 2 is really tempting me to sell now and upgrade early...i wasnt planning on upgrading any time soon but that seems pretty killer, someone talk me out of it :S

mollipen

Wow the music player redesign is terrible. I don't want to connect to shit, I don't want to see recommendations, you don't have to use half the screen telling me which albums I just added - I know that because I did it myself. I just want to listen to my music.

"You know what, let's add an additional step people need to take to sort their music on album/artist/etc".

Genius.

It's really horrible. The UI has been made terrible in a number of ways, and too much of the interface is about trying to make me buy music from Apple.

The heart especially makes me mad.

somnific

i had the same issue and went with these instructions to downgrade to 8.4.1. i made a backup before i upgraded to ios9 so not much was lost.

Top Bottom