• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

sonto340

I fucking despise the Podcast app redesign. When you start a podcast, instead of it immediately taking you to the screen with all of the relevant controls (15-second skips, pause, etc), it just displays a tiny little interface at the bottom of the screen that you have to touch to reach that next screen. They've also removed the "Currently Playing" option that would take you to whatever podcast you most recently had on. So no if you get halfway through a podcast, pause it, and then later want to resume it, you have to actually look for it, which is a big pain in the ass if you have multiple podcasts, each with multiple unplayed episodes.

On top of that, it's also removed a few of the artwork icons some of my podcasts had.

Garbage.
I use podcasts every single day at work and it always remembers exactly where I'm at in podcasts I'm listening too. It takes about an instant after I open the app but the bottom control bar pops up with my last listened podcast with progress saved every time.
If I switch podcasts or listen to a different episode, it still remembers where I'm at in each episode
Are you sure there's not a setting you have turned off somewhere?

Kattbuss

Something is up with the default podcast app since ios 9. On a 30 minute commute, my battery went from 100% down to 66% on an iPhone 6 with only listening to a podcast.

Burger

Anyone else having issues with voice navigation in iOS9? In the UK on iPhone 6, I get no voice navigation in Apple Maps whatsoever. Apple Support (chat) couldn't fix it either.

Erebus

Bit the bullet and upgraded my iPhone 6. My only complaints so far is the slightly laggy scrolling in some apps and the black screen that appears for a second when you first launch some apps like the FB Messenger for example.

Anyone else getting that?

Ninja Dom

Anyone else having issues with voice navigation in iOS9? In the UK on iPhone 6, I get no voice navigation in Apple Maps whatsoever. Apple Support (chat) couldn't fix it either.

Just tried it here for you. I'm in London and also on an iPhone 6.

Voice Navigation worked fine for Driving and Walking but there was no voice for Transportation.

Agreed, it's a mess.

It's unfortunate that some of the biggest performance hitch bugs are associated with new features, discouraging use, or in this case, adding insult to injury.

Based on the fact that the iOS 9 performance hitches seem to exist regardless of device, they seem to be a software bug, a software bug that Apple wasn't able to resolve by the GM deadline. I'd imagine this is what 9.1 will be fixing and why it has "better performance". These are also the types of bugs that Apple typically resolves fairly quickly, and don't leave until the iOS 10 release.

The good news is, for me, iOS 9 when it doesn't run into one of these very specific hitches, performs way better than iOS 8 ever did for me. Excited for the next update to make this a smooth experience all around. Just hopefully we'll not have to wait until 9.1 to resolve this.

Burger

Just tried it here for you. I'm in London and also on an iPhone 6.

Voice Navigation worked fine for Driving and Walking but there was no voice for Transportation.

Thanks. Weird. I had my phone replaced with a new one at the store recently, but sounds like a software issue, not a hardware one as Google Maps works okay.

x-Lundz-x

damn i do not like the new "switch between apps" when you double tap on home button. its darn awful. The old view was miles better then the new one.

so hard to get right app and hard to get a good overview. and really easy to close wrong app.

+1 here, can someone tell me who thought it was a good idea to go from right to left? This needs to be fixed ASAP

Fliesen

+1 here, can someone tell me who thought it was a good idea to go from right to left? This needs to be fixed ASAP

because new apps slide in from the right.
because "left" is generally the "back" direction.
going from right to left was the bad idea in the first place, really.

edit: i think going from left to right for tasks happened because that's how the task switcher in OSX works. That one has you tab-moving a cursor though, and that'd be weird going from right to left.
I think it's a good, consistent way in touch based UI's to have "left" be the "back" direction, across multiple UIs

Number45

Has this been discussed? Peace pulled from the App Store because the dude developing it isn't comfortable being the arbiter of what content does and doesn't get blocked.

Which I guess I can understand, although as it was looking to be the best performing of the content blockers (I think) it's a shame.

Wreav

Banned
Has this been discussed? Peace pulled from the App Store because the dude developing it isn't comfortable being the arbiter of what content does and doesn't get blocked.

Which I guess I can understand, although as it was looking to be the best performing of the content blockers (I think) it's a shame.

Yeah, we had a thread for it. Hope people are issuing refunds.

I think his main issue was that he didn't have whitelisting support in his app.

Number45

That seems like something that he could add if it was his primary cause of concern! I'll leave it though if it's been discussed, as I don't have a capable phone to use any of them right now.

It's cool, but Mailbox also sends all of your email through its third-party server. That makes it a non-starter for me. I don't trust some random startup to keep my email secure and private.

The outlook app can also push gmail and is a pretty fantastic e-mail client.

You know, sometimes I have to take a step back and realize that most iOS users sync with Windows, not OS X. Still kinda blows my mind, even though it probably shouldn't.

So is there any hope for us?

Bit the bullet and upgraded my iPhone 6. My only complaints so far is the slightly laggy scrolling in some apps and the black screen that appears for a second when you first launch some apps like the FB Messenger for example.

Anyone else getting that?

Yes, my 6+ forgets to show the splash screens all the time now... it's a nice and solid black instead.

Yup... amrc and facebook messenger both boot up with a black screen for me. Probably few other apps I haven't opened yet too. Pretty disappointing update to the user experience.

Also, I found that the app switcher becomes incredibly smooth once you turn on reduce transparency on the 6+... sigh.

Fliesen

That seems like something that he could add if it was his primary cause of concern! I'll leave it though if it's been discussed, as I don't have a capable phone to use any of them right now.

that's wrong.
There was whitelisting inside "Peace"

however, you could only whitelist certain sites from the content blocker being applied.
you couldn't whitelist certain ad networks or trackers, like you can for example on Ghostery on MacOS. Here you can, say, whitelist google adsense or the deck, yet block some ad-service that is might be famous for serving ads that transfer you to the app-store or that screw with your scrolling.

You could either _block all ads_ on a site or _block no ad_. There was no way to just block bad ads.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
that's wrong.
There was whitelisting inside "Peace"

however, you could only whitelist certain sites from the content blocker being applied.
you couldn't whitelist certain ad networks or trackers, like you can for example on Ghostery on MacOS. Here you can, say, whitelist google adsense or the deck, yet block some ad-service that is might be famous for serving ads that transfer you to the app-store or that screw with your scrolling.

You could either _block all ads_ on a site or _block no ad_. There was no way to just block bad ads.

Didn't his previous blog post state that he was going to add that level of granularity to the next Peace update?
He decided to just pull it instead.

grmlin

Yup... amrc and facebook messenger both boot up with a black screen for me. Probably few other apps I haven't opened yet too. Pretty disappointing update to the user experience.

Also, I found that the app switcher becomes incredibly smooth once you turn on reduce transparency on the 6+... sigh.

Reduce transparency you say? I will try that. Does not help with the fact, that the new app switcher is garbage. I want my fav contacts back, and a list of apps where form follows function, not the other way round.

Erebus

Actually it's embarrassing if you consider that the iOS 9 was supposed to be all about stability and performance. It's obvious that they're rushing the updates to coincide with the new iPhone launch every year but at this point they're sacrificing the integrity and quality of each iOS version.

Let's hope 9.1 will fix all these issues.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Has "hey Siri" ever actually worked for anyone?

prior to iOS9 GM, it worked amazingly well. Post-GM it has been like... ehh.. 80%. Hoping it gets back to the near 100% prior to the GM. Mostly issue now is that it won't pick up AT ALL until the second "hey siri" command. Also having an issue where "hey siri make a speakerphone call" just makes a phone call without activating speakerphone.

So far I'm noticing no difference with the power saving mode. If anything my battery is actually running out faster.
I don't know if it's running out faster on mine but yea I haven't noticed any real improvement either. Then again everything that option disables I already have disabled so I didn't really expect much.

Fliesen

Didn't his previous blog post state that he was going to add that level of granularity to the next Peace update?
He decided to just pull it instead.

i think even WITHIN certain ad networks, there's good and bad ads, i suppose.

also, let's not kid ourselves. It's not like more than 5% of the people who pushed Peace to the top of the paid app store charts would have made use of any of that granularity.

I don't blame him. I've switched to Purify. No big deal, really.

Can't stand the new tab shuffle arrangement when double clicking the home button.

Somehow they made it so that the icon displaying what app the tab is tiny while showing even less of all the other tabs. Why change this? I just have to scroll farther to find what I want. Lame.

RDreamer

Can't stand the new tab shuffle arrangement when double clicking the home button.

Somehow they made it so that the icon displaying what app the tab is tiny while showing even less of all the other tabs. Why change this? I just have to scroll farther to find what I want. Lame.

Yeah I'm really not a fan of it either.

grmlin

I tried it. With reduced transparency and animations the 6+ is a lot smoother. I hope apple fixes this with ios 9.x soon.

I tried it. With reduced transparency and animations the 6+ is a lot smoother. I hope apple fixes this with ios 9.x soon.

Yeah, it's incredibly smooth. People might say they don't notice lag but once you try the app switcher with reduced transparency on, you'll immediately notice the performance difference.

Not sure if 9.1 will fix it. I'm running the 9.1 beta on my iPad mini 2 and the app switcher is even laggier on that thing than my 6+ on 9.0.

Pretty disappointed that both of my iOS devices feel like they're obsolete now.

Mokujin

Should I upgrade my iOS7 5s if I mainly care about the phone being fast?

Also my ipad mini really slowed down from iOS7 to iOS8 (that's why my 5s is in iOS7), does iOS9 better-old-devices-support help or is even slower?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Your mileage may vary as it's always the case with these updates, but I'm having no problems with my 5S. It's performing about the same as my iPad Air 2 when it comes to speed and transitions.

iOS 9 has been pretty snappy for me, any small stuff like the hiccup when you call spotlight by puling down seem to be happening across the board on all devices. I've also noticed that swiping from below for the control center also comes up a little wonky on the iPad Air 2, but only once in a while. Just small things that will most likely be gone on the following update. Everything else has been peachy.

Magwik

Banned
Yup, I used it this morning while getting dressed to see what day of the week Christmas Day falls on this year.

Well I don't think we have 6S impressions, but it works very well for me in iOS 9 and worked well in iOS 8. You need to switch it on in the menu, (again) it's automatically disabled in iOS 9.

Worked flawlessly for me last night. iOS 9.1 on an iPhone 6.

It just works when the iPhone is wired up though.

Use it everyday in my car.
Huh, alright then. Guess I may be doing something wrong since it never works for me

Tobor

I must be the only one who likes it. Lol.

It works great for me.

Top Bottom