• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Number45

Now that we have content blockers I wish there was a way to force the Facebook app to open links in safari. Those clickbait sites are so much nicer to browse with all the ads hidden away.
Something tells me Facebook will never allow that, they get too much data as it is now. I usually just copy the link to Safari.

Something tells me Facebook will never allow that, they get too much data as it is now. I usually just copy the link to Safari.

Yeah, I'm going to have to start doing that. I did it as a test earlier today with one of those clickbait sites and the difference was amazing. You can actually use the site and see the content.

robochimp

There is a button to "open in safari" FYI, it is now found under "share" in the upper right corner when viewing a web page in Facebook

Reckoner

Yeh. Itll be higher up. Gotta scroll to the bottom to get the total time which is stupid. The 6 hours I used it was for Safari, Email, WhatsApp and Spotify streaming. Mainly web browsing.

Wow, that's pretty good then. People always complain about the battery on the 6, but that should be more than enough to go through the day.

Wow, that's pretty good then. People always complain about the battery on the 6, but that should be more than enough to go through the day.

I always like people complaining about the battery life, despite playing intensive 3D games for 3 hours at a time....

As a basic phone + web device I just got 4 days without a charge.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
With Low Power mode enabled, I can get 10-12 hours of gaming out of my iPhone 6, plus the phone doesn't get hot.

Lifesaver feature.

Sorry if this has been covered, but I can't seem to completely mute my device Sound Effects anymore since the update (iPod Touch). The volume just won't go lower than one bar...

Hoo-doo

Banned
I mowed the lawn tonight with 2% left on my 5s. Switched to battery saver mode and listened to podcasts for an hour. By the time I finished and plugged in, my phone had dropped to 1% but was still playing. I'm impressed. Screen on time is poor, but my 5s screen time has been rough since the beginning. I listen to a lot of music and podcasts however, and if performance like that is typical on battery saver I will be very happy going forward.

Same thing here. Noticed I had 4% left when I left uni, I switched it to power saver.
Played at least 90 minutes of streaming podcasts on my commute home and subsequent grocery shopping. When I got home, I had 3% left.

Impressed. That's exactly what I need in situations like that. Screw email refresh or background location data. I need my podcasts.

You can find it at all times in the settings in the 'battery' section.

Thats what i find annoying. Sometimes ill go in the subway and wanna turn it on quick quick till the ride is over since i have no signal anyway and having to go though the settings menu all the time is annoying.

numble

Thats what i find annoying. Sometimes ill go in the subway and wanna turn it on quick quick till the ride is over since i have no signal anyway and having to go though the settings menu all the time is annoying.
Why not just turn on airplane mode? That may even save more battery than the low power mode, which still uses the antennas.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So if Apple is doing a blanket refund for everyone who purchased peace does that mean they'll take my license for the app away? I never applied for a refund because I wanted to use it.

Couleurs

So if Apple is doing a blanket refund for everyone who purchased peace does that mean they'll take my license for the app away? I never applied for a refund because I wanted to use it.

You'll still be able to use it; I contacted Apple for a refund the day the news broke about it being removed from the App Store and can still use it even though I got my money back. Supposedly you keep access but just can't download it anymore (which I guess is obvious since it was removed from the store).

I'm not sure how it works if you have a backup saved on your computer, I'm thinking you'd still be able to transfer it to your phone through iTunes if you ever had to reinstall iOS from a backup.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so mad about that whole thing. I don't buy his change of heart for a second. I fully conspiratorially believe this is all just blog cycle fodder.

I got the Peace refund approved, so I went ahead and deleted it and purchased Purify.

Theoretically, I could have used Peace until a 'major update' of iOS, whatever that is, but I just want to be done with it and that developer.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Again, you are only offered it when you need it.

Wondering if that extends to the search box in Settings, or if the search is just broken... I enabled low power mode from the 20% dialog earlier today, and wanted to disable it later but didn't know where it lived. Entered "low power" in the Settings seach field and got a blank screen.

Is there a way to turn off my passcode for unlocking my phone, but not turn it off for everything else?

I can only find the option to turn off finger prints for certain things. The passcode appears to be all or nothing.

Vashetti

Banned
Wondering if that extends to the search box in Settings, or if the search is just broken... I enabled low power mode from the 20% dialog earlier today, and wanted to disable it later but didn't know where it lived. Entered "low power" in the Settings seach field and got a blank screen.

It's in "Battery" in Settings.

RedSwirl

This is more of a general iOS question, but what do people use to make their own ringtones? I used to use a site called Audiko but was wondering if there was anything better, or an offline piece of software perhaps (preferably for Windows or iOS itself).

boxter432

I don't care about finger prints, I just want the passcode on for making purchases, but off for unlocking my phone because that's super annoying.

have you tried turning off the passcode for unlocking, and then going to purchase something? I think it requires some validation no matter what, doesn't it?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Anyone else's Apple News app load stories horrendously slow?

Sometimes. It depends on what the article needs to load. Any articles that have tweets integrated take FOREVER to display.

I'm feeling 50/50 on the News app. I like the presentation but I'd rather just visit these sites in Safari (especially now with ad blocking). The News app feels redundant. I guess that's why Flipboard was never a "thing" for me either.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I don't care about finger prints, I just want the passcode on for making purchases, but off for unlocking my phone because that's super annoying.

Passcode to unlock and your Apple ID password used for purchases are two completely different and separate things.

You'll always need a password for purchases outside of the 15 minute window since last auth for paid apps.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah it's weird that there isn't a low power mode toggle in the control center OR as a notification center widget.

Especially grating that you have to wade through the settings to turn it off as you start charging the phone (it will turn off automatically but only when it's past 90% charged or so), as most times you will want to.

So, is there really no way for me to add text files into iCloud drive and have them show up in the default notes app? Where are notes stored? None of the notes seem to have a file or folder in the iCloud Drive in finder on OS X.

vpance

Who else notices a slight lag when you tap on apps? Its like less than half a second. I'm comparing it side by side to an Air that is still running on iOS7 that has no such issue. Think I'm gonna stick with 7, hate regression in responsiveness.

Red

Same thing here. Noticed I had 4% left when I left uni, I switched it to power saver.
Played at least 90 minutes of streaming podcasts on my commute home and subsequent grocery shopping. When I got home, I had 3% left.

Impressed. That's exactly what I need in situations like that. Screw email refresh or background location data. I need my podcasts.
Just a note, but it seems like those awesome battery gains only exist while listening through headphones. I played through the speaker a few hours today and was pushing my luck by the end of my shift.

image52s9m.png

This was almost entirely screen off time, with battery saver running from 100%.

Just updated my 5s while at work and I get the joy of having a worthless brick until I can get home and (hopefully) connect my phone to itunes. Thanks Apple, great update.

HF2014

GAF, give me a good reason not to threw away my Ipad 2 to the wall. Seriously, safari constantly crashing loading non complex website since IOS 9. I now got app crashing ( facebook ), and im seriously wondering if i will be able to get 150-200$ like for it. Why Apple doesnt allow you to revert it to the IOS it came from??? It was running way better with 6, was very good with 7' now it became a useless mess.

No, i wont move to get an Ipad Air 2, what assurance i will get it will run IOS 11 great in 2-3 years???

Apple are dead, for me, and im waiting 2 week for the Microsoft presentation of Surface Pro 4, hoping to get a cheaper Surface 3 like.

Tell me how Apple can still make you happy, because after a broken screen Iphone 4 and this Ipad 2 that run like at half if not more performance than it was when i got it, im absolutly not interest to think a Apple product is a viable one. Every IOS upgrade made my ipad 2 slower, and now its hell.

X-Frame

Wow this banner at the top of the Music app is annoying me and I can't seem to dismiss it.

"Showing only music on this iPhone: Show All Music"

No shit, I don't want to show all my music. Please tell me I can get rid of this somehow? I have iCloud music library off and Apple Music off.

Fliesen

GAF, give me a good reason not to threw away my Ipad 2 to the wall. Seriously, safari constantly crashing loading non complex website since IOS 9. I now got app crashing ( facebook ), and im seriously wondering if i will be able to get 150-200$ like for it. Why Apple doesnt allow you to revert it to the IOS it came from??? It was running way better with 6, was very good with 7' now it became a useless mess.

No, i wont move to get an Ipad Air 2, what assurance i will get it will run IOS 11 great in 2-3 years???

Apple are dead, for me, and im waiting 2 week for the Microsoft presentation of Surface Pro 4, hoping to get a cheaper Surface 3 like.

Tell me how Apple can still make you happy, because after a broken screen Iphone 4 and this Ipad 2 that run like at half if not more performance than it was when i got it, im absolutly not interest to think a Apple product is a viable one. Every IOS upgrade made my ipad 2 slower, and now its hell.

* my girlfriend's iPad 2 runs iOS 9 perfectly fine. Have you tried doing a full restore?
* the iPad 2 has been released 4 1/2 years ago. If you had bought a Windows tablet at that price in 2011, it would have most likely been running Windows RT. You know, the OS they've kinda sorta discontinued ever since.
I won't even bother mentioning that you won't find an Android tablet that still gets the latest OS update over 4 years post-release.

So, i'm not saying Apple does a perfect job supporting older devices, but they're still quite a bit better at keeping older devices on software support than any other manufacturer. (we'll see about Microsoft 4 years from now - maybe they finally reached a level of 'stability' when it comes to OS versions and upgrade paths)

Still, try a full restore maybe. If that doesn't work, give the next Surface Pro a try, it'll be a fine machine.

Just a note, but it seems like those awesome battery gains only exist while listening through headphones. I played through the speaker a few hours today and was pushing my luck by the end of my shift.

This was almost entirely screen off time, with battery saver running from 100%.
don't you think the downcast app might be the one to blame here? 64% is quite a lot for a podcast app.

btw, my battery settings show the on screen / background ratio, why doesn't yours? are you on iOS 9?
edit: oh, you'll have to tap that little clock symbol above the percentages for it to show.

HF2014

* my girlfriend's iPad 2 runs iOS 9 perfectly fine. Have you tried doing a full restore?
* the iPad 2 has been released 4 1/2 years ago. If you had bought a Windows tablet at that price in 2011, it would have most likely been running Windows RT. You know, the OS they've kinda sorta discontinued ever since.
I won't even bother mentioning that you won't find an Android tablet that still gets the latest OS update over 4 years post-release.

So, i'm not saying Apple does a perfect job supporting older devices, but they're still quite a bit better at keeping older devices on software support than any other manufacturer. (we'll see about Microsoft 4 years from now - maybe they finally reached a level of 'stability' when it comes to OS versions and upgrade paths)

Still, try a full restore maybe. If that doesn't work, give the next Surface Pro a try, it'll be a fine machine.

What sucks more is that i nought it in late 2012, like 3 weeks before the ipad 3 was about to be announced.... Should have wait ..but still.

Im going to try a full restore, hoping it can help... Im seriously just using y ipad for web surging and emails, gacebook, and these three minor applications give me a hard time...im just mad...

So going for a full retore and will give my impression.

ZeroX03

Banned

What Fliesen said. You're using a 4.5 year old device. If you want to go 5 years with a Surface it'll have the same problems, and lose even more resale value. Your complaints aren't Apple specific, you're just in a world where devices are expected to be replaced sooner.

For now you should try and come wipe your iPad. With both Android and iOS there's often issues with updates and devices getting a clean slate can help slightly.

E: I see full restore was just mentioned, good.

What Fliesen said. You're using a 4.5 year old device. If you want to go 5 years with a Surface it'll have the same problems, and lose even more resale value. Your complaints aren't Apple specific, you're just in a world where devices are expected to be replaced sooner.

For now you should try and come wipe your iPad. With both Android and iOS there's often issues with updates and devices getting a clean slate can help slightly.

When people talk doing a full restore, do they mean wipe and then restore from a backup, or wipe and set it up as new and manually get everything back to where it was?

Fliesen

What sucks more is that i nought it in late 2012, like 3 weeks before the ipad 3 was about to be announced.... Should have wait ..but still.

Im going to try a full restore, hoping it can help... Im seriously just using y ipad for web surging and emails, gacebook, and these three minor applications give me a hard time...im just mad...

So going for a full retore and will give my impression.

the 3rd gen iPad ("the new iPad", hah) is actually the iPad you'd want the least, imho.

it was thick, heavy and could just barely manage to drive that retina screen without sacrificing performance compared to the iPad 2.
i think the iPad 2 and the iPad air were the most solid iterations of the iPad family and you shouldn't regret having either of these. (not like anyone should regret having any iteration, of course. i just think those were the most significant milestones)

When people talk doing a full restore, do they mean wipe and then restore from a backup, or wipe and set it up as new and manually get everything back to where it was?

the former, and if that doesn't work, the latter.

I don't have iMessages on my iPad that i don't have on my iPhone, my photos are in my iCloud photo library, my music's in the cloud, my contacts are, my emails are. So i don't really lose anything beyond my Plants vs. Zombies savegame on my iPad. - the same reason i never bothered to create back-ups of my iPad. To back-up what, really?
Which is why i would suggest a clean re-install of the OS via iTunes, setting it up as a new device.

Xenoflare

Who else notices a slight lag when you tap on apps? Its like less than half a second. I'm comparing it side by side to an Air that is still running on iOS7 that has no such issue. Think I'm gonna stick with 7, hate regression in responsiveness.

I actually went into my local Apple Store and all their 6/6pluses (not S) on demo with iOS 9 all had this problem. My own 6 included.

The 6 plus demo suffers the most, the control centre lags so much that's it's like pre jelly bean bad on Android

I am not going to get over this iOS 9 thing anytime soon.

ZeroX03

Banned

I usually mean the latter, but you can always try the former first. Granted it's something I've dealt with more on Android devices than Apple.

Top Bottom