• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

I seem to recall being able to drag from the top and seeing the weather. Why can't I do that anymore? Did I change something? Did they change something?

And you podcast peoples should get Downcast. I love how I can make one playlist and it keeps autopopulating it with every new podcast that is downloaded in release order.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Huh, alright then. Guess I may be doing something wrong since it never works for me

did you set it up? pre-GM it worked out of the box just turning it on and plugging the phone in. GM and later, even if you had it turned on, it was turned off, and now requires to be setup (so that it can recognize YOU better, to try to reduce other people from setting it off)

I must be the only one who likes it. Lol.

It works great for me.

I actually like it as well, at first it felt a little "slippery" but I adjusted and it's coming naturally now as things do when you get accustomed to them. I do like that I can see more tabs at once now..

pdk27

Huh, alright then. Guess I may be doing something wrong since it never works for me

It works better for me now in the car. I think the road noise was messing with it on iOS 8. Now it has you say a few things to set it up. So I made sure I set it up while in my car. Works much better.

zedge

So safari is still loggin me out of GAF (on my ipad). Cookies are enabled, cleared all browsing data and history.

Any ideas?

zedge

Do you have passwords stored for NeoGAF in Safari settings?

Just checked this, it was saved, however it was wrong.. weird. So every time I logged in it would not update this?

I have updated it, see if that works.

Thanks!

*edit

On my iPhone it is not saved but I am logged in to Gaf and never get logged out either. Strange how this works.

Erebus

OK so like someone else had mentioned a few posts above, the auto-lock settings are bugged on some devices. For example, if you have set it to 1 minute the iPhone will actually auto-lock after 30 seconds, if you set it to 2 minutes the auto-lock will engage after 1 minute. It seems the actual value is half of what is selected on this setting by the user. However, I noticed that when you have an app on screen, the auto-lock DOES work as expected (locks after 1 minute when 1 minute is selected etc.)

Can someone check to see if they can replicate this? First leave the phone idle on the home screen and then when an app is active and on-screen.

Fully restored my iPhone 6 Plus and my Watch.

Without the watch paid, autolock works perfectly, 1 minute is 1 minute etc

Once the Watch is paired, 1 minute is 30 seconds, 2 minutes is one minute, etc

Can anyone else with a watch test this to see if its a bug? I can't see it being anything else but would just like to know.

Erebus

Fully restored my iPhone 6 Plus and my Watch.

Without the watch paid, autolock works perfectly, 1 minute is 1 minute etc

Once the Watch is paired, 1 minute is 30 seconds, 2 minutes is one minute, etc

Can anyone else with a watch test this to see if its a bug? I can't see it being anything else but would just like to know.

Did you read my post above? LOL

I don't have the Watch, so it cannot be that.

I seem to recall being able to drag from the top and seeing the weather. Why can't I do that anymore? Did I change something? Did they change something?

Yeah, my weather isn't showing up either. I had a Weather Underground widget but it was so damn slow. I changed my widget back to the Today Summary widget and there is just nothing there.

Edit: Ooops! Check your privacy settings > location services for the Weather app. Make sure they aren't set to "Never". I must have turned it off when I installed the WU app.

anyone else having this issue? i update apps now and i get the random one where it is simply stuck. i cant delete it. i reset my phone and same thing. anyone know of a fix? its really my only gripe with iOS9

had the same issue on iOS 9 beta and 9.1 beta. thought the GM would fix it.. guess not......

on a 6+ btw

VAMYgtl.jpg

Sean

Banned
Purify was updated already with bug fixes and the developer seems to have a lot planned in the next update(s). This is what was promised as coming soon:

- shutup.css comment hiding (like Peace had)
- Social button blocking
- Reporting broken site option
- Instantly updated block list (no need for app updates)

mcfrank

The calendar in notification center used to show me my whole day, but now only shows one meeting. Does anyone know how to get it back to the old setting? If I have 1 minute left on the current meeting, it doesn't show me where I am supposed to be next which is very annoying.

Thanks in advance.

samn

Can you use more than one content blocker at a time?

yep

The calendar in notification center used to show me my whole day, but now only shows one meeting. Does anyone know how to get it back to the old setting? If I have 1 minute left on the current meeting, it doesn't show me where I am supposed to be next which is very annoying.

Thanks in advance.

There are 3 built in widgets that use the Calendar info - are all of them enabled? check by tapping edit

skybald

My first iOS x+1 update. Overall, my iPhone 6 has probably seen either no noticeable performance enhancements or at worst a drop in of 5%, as in barely noticeable but definitely there.

But now my drop down texting is really screwed up. It either chugs when I swipe it down, or sometimes it gets stuck coming down. Anyone else noticing this? Picture below to show how it gets stuck.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/95914475@N07/To0376

Yeah, my weather isn't showing up either. I had a Weather Underground widget but it was so damn slow. I changed my widget back to the Today Summary widget and there is just nothing there.

Edit: Ooops! Check your privacy settings > location services for the Weather app. Make sure they aren't set to "Never". I must have turned it off when I installed the WU app.

I'll check the privacy settings, maybe it's a default change after update? Because I never installed anything, I was just using the regular weather app.

Red

I mowed the lawn tonight with 2% left on my 5s. Switched to battery saver mode and listened to podcasts for an hour. By the time I finished and plugged in, my phone had dropped to 1% but was still playing. I'm impressed. Screen on time is poor, but my 5s screen time has been rough since the beginning. I listen to a lot of music and podcasts however, and if performance like that is typical on battery saver I will be very happy going forward.

I mowed the lawn tonight with 2% left on my 5s. Switched to battery saver mode and listened to podcasts for an hour. By the time I finished and plugged in, my phone had dropped to 1% but was still playing. I'm impressed.

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Historically once iOS drops below 5% for me, it could basically give up the ghost at any time. So the fact that you could listen to a podcast for another hour at 2% to be kind of jaw-dropping.

Does doing a fresh install instead of restoring from a backup really make a huge difference? I'm thinking towards the future for my 6S. I'm not unwilling to do a fresh install, but DAMN that's a lot of settings to go over

Does doing a fresh install instead of restoring from a backup really make a huge difference? I'm thinking towards the future for my 6S. I'm not unwilling to do a fresh install, but DAMN that's a lot of settings to go over

I know some people who swear by it but I would never do that unless something was seriously wrong.

My first iOS x+1 update. Overall, my iPhone 6 has probably seen either no noticeable performance enhancements or at worst a drop in of 5%, as in barely noticeable but definitely there.

But now my drop down texting is really screwed up. It either chugs when I swipe it down, or sometimes it gets stuck coming down. Anyone else noticing this? Picture below to show how it gets stuck.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/95914475@N07/To0376
Same. Swipe down text responses locks up my phone for 10 seconds.

OK so like someone else had mentioned a few posts above, the auto-lock settings are bugged on some devices. For example, if you have set it to 1 minute the iPhone will actually auto-lock after 30 seconds, if you set it to 2 minutes the auto-lock will engage after 1 minute. It seems the actual value is half of what is selected on this setting by the user. However, I noticed that when you have an app on screen, the auto-lock DOES work as expected (locks after 1 minute when 1 minute is selected etc.)

Can someone check to see if they can replicate this? First leave the phone idle on the home screen and then when an app is active and on-screen.

Confirmed on my 6+. That's hilarious. I don't use auto-lock so it doesn't bother me, but it's pretty funny.

On Home screen = half the value you set
If an app is showing on screen = correct value

Vyer

I think it does. I end up doing it pretty regularly and, I don't know, I don't seem to have as many quirks with upgrades as some people seem to. I started doing it mainly because there used to sometimes be bugs in earlier versions of iOS that would end up carrying over with the backup, and I just ended up doing it somewhat regularly ever since. Often times it seems to help recommended with the Android devices I've owned in the past as well.

I think it can help with any mobile device just like it can with a full blown computer IMO.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The picture in picture addition got to me at first. On my 4s it was kinda slow, but I got rid of a few things and it sped up a bit. My 6 however is doing wonderful. I kinda don't want extra apps, but I'm okay with it.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with remote desktop for PC? I wasn't sure if should shell out the 20 clams to buy the app or not. I noticed there were quite a few of them too.

I would want something that I could have access to if I left the house, but I don't know if that is possible or not.

Now that I'm back on the GM and not a beta, is Music a lot better? I don't seem to be downloading songs I'm listening to, and I'm streaming them a lot faster and without skipping/issues than I used to.

Basically, Music is now workable for me (no subscription to actual music, just my stuff in the cloud).

Breraa

Banned
Anyone else get a strange bug where the orientation switches to horizontal when you exit from an app to the home screen?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
New-ish to iOS. Is there a way to go back to the browser after opening a YouTube link? Aside from home -> browser.
Does the "Back to Other App" link not show up in the status bar when opening YouTube? I could swear it does. (Edit: Confirmed it does.) It's new in iOS 9. Otherwise you just have to use the app switcher.

Ninja Dom

anyone else having this issue? i update apps now and i get the random one where it is simply stuck. i cant delete it. i reset my phone and same thing. anyone know of a fix? its really my only gripe with iOS9

had the same issue on iOS 9 beta and 9.1 beta. thought the GM would fix it.. guess not......

on a 6+ btw

Sorry I can't help with your issue - but can you point to a high res image of your Mario background wallpaper please?

Aiii

So not worth it
Got the iPad Mini 4 today, couldn't for the life of my figure out why I couldn't get split screen working, even rebooted the device twice and considered reinstalling the thing.

Until I realized it simply doesn't work when one of the apps doesn't support it yet, I felt dumb. :D

Now that we have content blockers I wish there was a way to force the Facebook app to open links in safari. Those clickbait sites are so much nicer to browse with all the ads hidden away.

Top Bottom