• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

I unplugged my ipod from the computer last night around 9:00 because I wanted to listen to some music before I went to sleep; it was at 100% at this time. I woke up and listened to podcasts on my commute so that was about 1.25 hours tops of use. I didn't use it at all from the time I got here to lunch time when I listened to a podcast while I was out walking. Around 2:30 I grab it to go for my mail run and it says it's at 20% battery. It's not connected to any wifi, no BT speakers, just sitting on my desk with headphones plugged in. The only apps running are Downcast, Audible, and Music. I'm noticing that I'm seeing the 20% warning a lot more frequently lately.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Just a note, but it seems like those awesome battery gains only exist while listening through headphones. I played through the speaker a few hours today and was pushing my luck by the end of my shift.

This was almost entirely screen off time, with battery saver running from 100%.

Downcast seems immensely wasteful with energy. I listened to podcasts for hours today while around the house, on speaker, streaming, and it is at 12% of total battery usage, even lower than stuff like Mail or Whatsapp. 64% sounds absolutely nuts.

By the way, in the battery percentage view you can tap the list to see exactly how much time the app spent active on-screen and in the background.

Fliesen

I unplugged my ipod from the computer last night around 9:00 because I wanted to listen to some music before I went to sleep; it was at 100% at this time. I woke up and listened to podcasts on my commute so that was about 1.25 hours tops of use. I didn't use it at all from the time I got here to lunch time when I listened to a podcast while I was out walking. Around 2:30 I grab it to go for my mail run and it says it's at 20% battery. It's not connected to any wifi, no BT speakers, just sitting on my desk with headphones plugged in. The only apps running are Downcast, Audible, and Music. I'm noticing that I'm seeing the 20% warning a lot more frequently lately.

the plot thickens! ;)

nah, but seriously. what does your battery percentage say?
i wonder if the feature that gives you quick access to your most recent audio app when plugging in headphones makes the device kindasorta wake the app from sleep to prepare it for a quick launch...

HF2014

Ok. Well I did reset all settings on my IPad 2, and it seem to run better. I also left on the animation and it seem to run better than having them off. I will use my machine for a few days to see how it goes

vpance

I actually went into my local Apple Store and all their 6/6pluses (not S) on demo with iOS 9 all had this problem. My own 6 included.

The 6 plus demo suffers the most, the control centre lags so much that's it's like pre jelly bean bad on Android

I am not going to get over this iOS 9 thing anytime soon.

Thanks for the confirmation. Maybe 9.1 will address this, but from what i've seen of 9 I can live without it til Air 3 drops, especially that lag fest app switcher.

Vyer

Ok. Well I did reset all settings on my IPad 2, and it seem to run better. I also left on the animation and it seem to run better than having them off. I will use my machine for a few days to see how it goes

Just in case, Reset all settings and erase all content (full restore) are different things. It's the latter that they were recommending.

I still can't figure out where Notes are stored on my Mac. They aren't in iCloud Drive, and I am saving them to iCloud, so.... where are they?

Why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?

iOS 9 is great on my 6 and I've noticed improved battery life.

It seems to be working just fine on the iPad Mini but I don't really use it much.

DarkWish

Since YouTube hasn't updated for Picture in Picture (and who knows if they will) but I found YouPlayer which lets me watch YouTube videos and has Picture in Picture. So now on my iPad I can Split View browsing NeoGAF while checking Twitter and watching a YouTube video at the same time... glorious! So glad I upgraded from the 3rd gen iPad to the iPad Air 2.

Synless

How do I shut off songs not on my iPhone? I can't find the option anymore under settings>Apps and itunes stores or music.

Xenoflare

Thanks for the confirmation. Maybe 9.1 will address this, but from what i've seen of 9 I can live without it til Air 3 drops, especially that lag fest app switcher.

I'm getting mixed opinions on 9.1, from what I can gather is that it does offer a recognizable performance boost but the janky app switcher is still there.

I think it has something to do with the blurring effect on the tabs, that's why reduce transparency works for performance gain, but it will make the app dock really ugly.

ipHA8l2.jpg

Very happy with the new battery life.

Holy crapinski. Please tell me you're on an iPad or iPod of some sort?

DiddyBop

I'm honestly so impressed on how well and seamless this runs on my iPhone 5. Basically the same speed as iOS 8 but with nice subtle improvements to the OS experience. Apple did a great job with this

ZeroAnns

Neo Member
everything that supports 8 also supports 9.

san francisco looks really really nice as a system font. super friendly.

im OBSESSED with SF Typeface!

Open Sans used to be my favourite font but after this i think is gonna take a while until a new designer can make it better

Does anybody know why certain songs disappear when i add music to my iphone 6. I'm updated to iOS 9 and tried to drag and drop some music onto my iphone and when i go into my music there's only bought music from itunes on there and nothing else. Any ideas?

This is more of a general iOS question, but what do people use to make their own ringtones? I used to use a site called Audiko but was wondering if there was anything better, or an offline piece of software perhaps (preferably for Windows or iOS itself).
I use iRinger, you could import songs and adjust length yourself.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
6+ is a different beast when it comes to battery.

This is more of a general iOS question, but what do people use to make their own ringtones? I used to use a site called Audiko but was wondering if there was anything better, or an offline piece of software perhaps (preferably for Windows or iOS itself).

Just use iTunes.

1. Preferences
2. Import Settings
3. AAC Setting at High Quality (64kbps)

Now trim the song you want
1. Get Info
2. Options

Last Part
1. Now right click the song and convert to AAC.
2. Right click newly created song and click show in Finder/Explorer
3. Change the file extension from m4a to m4r
4. Click the file and iTunes will import it into it's RIngtones file.

You're welcome.

ZeroX03

Banned
6+ is a different beast when it comes to battery.

It's not great at Safari to be honest, it's only a slight improvement over the 6. I think battery tests have shown it's less than an hour better but I could be wrong.

Standby life is crazy though. If you're not on it a lot, or just listening to local music it'll go for days.

My dad is not a power user but I have seen him get those numbed on his Plus.

It's literally not. This is my record on a 6 Plus. Would've last longer if it wasn't for Safari too.

xrIRKWf.png

Can someone please explain how to achieve this? For the first few months I could get at least two, sometimes three full days out of my 6+ on one charge, but now I get 6 hours of usage and max 24-36 hours of standby.

How are people achieving this? Using low-power mode from 100% on? I have half brightness and use Wifi almost exclusively. No Bluetooth or Air Drop, and I'm on Do No Disturb (Silent). I only use Safari, Twitter, FB, Messages, and Snapchat (in that order of usage, with Snapchat being about 5%). I don't use any music or movie apps.

Zekes!

I really wish typing a word into Spotlight gave you its dictionary definition, or there was some kind of option to enable that.

if there is, tell me

kIdMuScLe

Can someone please explain how to achieve this? For the first few months I could get at least two, sometimes three full days out of my 6+ on one charge, but now I get 6 hours of usage and max 24-36 hours of standby.

How are people achieving this? Using low-power mode from 100% on? I have half brightness and use Wifi almost exclusively. No Bluetooth or Air Drop, and I'm on Do No Disturb (Silent). I only use Safari, Twitter, FB, Messages, and Snapchat (in that order of usage, with Snapchat being about 5%). I don't use any music or movie apps.

Do not use the phone??? They are literally just using the phone for an average 2hours a day. That's like 120 text a day which does not seem much. How much do you use your phone a day?

Do not use the phone??? They are literally just using the phone for an average 2hours a day. That's like 120 text a day which does not seem much. How much do you use your phone a day?

12 hours of usage is not 2 hours a day! I use my phone a lot, but the usage should still be the same. I should be able to get 12 hours in a row, or 12 spread out over a couple of days.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Is anyone else having a harder time swiping back in Safari now? Seems a lot less responsive to me.

ZeroX03

Banned

My screenshot was on iOS8 not 9, there was no low power mode. 4G and Wi-Fi no bluetooth. Auto brightness. I have notifications/push off for most apps so it's not pushing to the server for anything other than Mail I think.

You're also using apps that chew up battery, that's your main problem. Safari is the #1 killer. Music apps played through headphones use barely any battery.

muu

Feel like I'm getting far worse battery life on my 6 now that I'm on iOS9.

OTOH iOS9 has been great for my ipad mini2. Everything runs snappy, semi-split screen functions well enough,

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm surprised how much I like the news app. For me it's lacking channels like the Associated Press, a huge oversight, and the ability to change what stories are shown on the home screen when you swipe right. I don't follow CNN but it shows their stories.

My screenshot was on iOS8 not 9, there was no low power mode. 4G and Wi-Fi no bluetooth. Auto brightness. I have notifications/push off for most apps so it's not pushing to the server for anything other than Mail I think.

You're also using apps that chew up battery, that's your main problem. Safari is the #1 killer. Music apps played through headphones use barely any battery.

Ah okay, makes sense now. I have all your other settings matched, I just Push email once an hour and that's it. No location services except Weather, which is always on, so it's gotta be the apps I'm using. Sucks!

Fliesen

uhm, regarding those screenshots:

it does say

time since last full charge

does it maybe not reset if you charge it from 60% -> 80% every now and then because you have some sort of battery bank with you?

Red

Downcast seems immensely wasteful with energy. I listened to podcasts for hours today while around the house, on speaker, streaming, and it is at 12% of total battery usage, even lower than stuff like Mail or Whatsapp. 64% sounds absolutely nuts.

By the way, in the battery percentage view you can tap the list to see exactly how much time the app spent active on-screen and in the background.
I'm not sure why Downcast used so much that day. Here is the battery info for the past six days:

Disable certain apps running in the background which you don't require updates from.
Limit push notifications
Disable push for mail (mines set to manual)
I close all apps down when i'm done with them too, it might help a little
Monitor your battery usage screen and kill whatever is using background activity you don't want

SteveWD40

Any way to get rid of the search / swipe right to search page, in 8 I had it turned off so my home page was the only one. I don't use search on the phone so it's bugging me...

Majine

Banned
Any way to get rid of the search / swipe right to search page, in 8 I had it turned off so my home page was the only one. I don't use search on the phone so it's bugging me...

Nope.

There was no swipe-to-left search screen in 8, so I don't know what you turned off.

Disable certain apps running in the background which you don't require updates from.
Limit push notifications
Disable push for mail (mines set to manual)
I close all apps down when i'm done with them too, it might help a little
Monitor your battery usage screen and kill whatever is using background activity you don't want

I never have more than what I need open, usually just Safari and Twitter, although I've read that constantly opening and closing apps drains the background faster. I have Background Refresh off and only Push once an hour for mail.

Top Bottom